Poll: how long does it take for you to max cover a new 4*?

atomzed
atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Poll: on average, how long does it take for you to max cover a 4*? You may be a whale, or a f2p player, it doesn't matter... I am just interested to see your experience.

I have been keeping record of my own experience to see the average completion.

Here are my own experience:
X23 - completed 15 June 2016 (released 26 Oct 15)
Chulk - completed 25 June 2016 (released 1 Dec 15)
Nova - not yet completed (1 cover short) (released 26 Jan 16)
Ghost rider - 24 Apr 16 (released 18 Nov 15)
Spider Gwen- not yet completed (2 covers short) (released 10 Feb 16)
Miles - 13 Jun 16 (released 17 Dec 15)
The Punisher - 27 Jul 16 (released 23 Mar 16)

So it seems like my average is around 6 - 8 months.

Considering that I typically don't participate in the new release pve, and only pick up the first cover through the 1000 progression reward in the pvp, I am surprised that it only takes me 6 months to max cover the 4*.

On the other hand, it is also depressing to know that I will take 6 months to fully enjoy a new character. This is one key reason why I advised people to max levelled which ever 4* they have, instead of waiting for another character, which can take very long.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    it wouldn't take so long if they'd change it so getting a cover would allow you to apply it to any ability. no wasted covers.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't have the drive to slog my way up to 1000 in PVP (and can't justify shielding to myself), so maxing a legendary is pretty random. XFWolverine and Invisible Woman have been incomplete for me for a long time. Meanwhile, Hulkbuster is one of the few max covered legendaries I have next to Nick Fury, Professor X and Flaptain. Hoping to get 13th for Iceman or Red Hulk soon so I have someone good to cover green.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mine varies

Shortest is GR which I finished last month

Longest will be chulk which will be forever...

For one that I'm actually collecting it'll be bucky... Got covers when he was released and the poor has had no more ever since
  • atomzed
    Mine varies

Shortest is GR which I finished last month

Longest will be chulk which will be forever...

For one that I'm actually collecting it'll be bucky... Got covers when he was released and the poor has had no more ever since

Yup, I know it varies.

For example, I was pumped for gwen and I grinder the pve for her. Managed to get 4 covers for her right on the onset. I didn't grind for miles and started with 1 cover instead.

In the end I actually manage to max cover miles whereas Gwen is still lacking in covers.

Rng will be rng I guess.

Hence I was interested in finding out the average months it take from forummites....
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2016
    Very random.

I finished Nova, Punisher and Quake before I did Gwen, War Machine and Drax are both at 12 covers, while Bucky is chilling at 8 covers and Moon Knight has seen zero movement since his pve/pvp/sim release. Yay RNG.

Edit: Just pulled my 13th War Machine cover from a heroic token, so just a little over 2 months for him. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Right now Spider-Gwen, Quake and Punisher are all at 12 covers waiting for the thirteenth to drop. Nova was champed long ago as I got some lucky drops. Drax and War Machine are at 10 covers each. So I'd guess 5-6 months on average maybe?
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have two 10-cover 4* (Fury and Star-Lord), one 8-cover (Professor X) and a handful of 7-cover.

I'm hoping I'll be able to get a 13-cover soon'ish now that I seem to be able to regularly hit max progression in PVE, but 1k/1300 will almost certainly never be something I push for in PVP, so.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I've never max covered a new release. X-23 was in game before I started playing and is at 11 covers. Nova is at 11 covers. Drax is at 10 covers because the RNG loves him. War Machine up to 7, Winter Soldier still at 3.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    I haven't maxcovered any 4*, and I've been playing since late 2013 (october or so). I did stop playing for a few months at some point though. So I've just put in >24 months.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    No idea, but it feels like around 3 months. It hasn't mattered to me in so long that I don't even pay any attention thanks to the 5* tier. And no, that's neither bragging nor endorsement. Peggy could have been a real game-changer but even she's peanuts. Who was important before that? Creep?
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Typically the first or second day of the PVP. I'll hit the daily deal on the PVE vault, and depending on how those covers fall, possibly buy a 40-pack, or keep pulling from the vault. I try to cover them so that the 1000 cover in PVP finishes them off.
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    jobob wrote:
    Typically the first or second day of the PVP. I'll hit the daily deal on the PVE vault, and depending on how those covers fall, possibly buy a 40-pack, or keep pulling from the vault. I try to cover them so that the 1000 cover in PVP finishes them off.

How much do you spend too do this? Seems pricey.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    jobob wrote:

I try not to add it up for fear that it might depress me to see how much I spend on a mobile game.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would say I average about 6 months, but the variance is huge.

I maxed imhb in about 12 weeks (without any direct buy covers). But I still haven't maxed star-lord who was released 3+ months earlier.

4*cyc and Rulk were released on consecutive weeks. But I have 11/13 cyc covers and still only 7 Rulks. And I have 13/13 for flaptain who was released after both of them.

Such is RNG distribution. I can move the needle a little by emptying vaults when strong characters come along (a technique I used recently to finish and champ ice), but as a f2p player now, it takes a long time to save up the tacos to do that.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Background: I get about 25 LTs a month, maybe 35-40 4* covers a month total including other random stuff. I max out every PVE, but don't PVP much.

I've been getting a steady stream of LTs from PVE since they were released, almost a year now, and I only have three max-covered 4*s: XFW, IMHB, and X-23. My covering IMHB was aided by Civil War, and X-23 was aided by the EotS PVE test.

I'm starting to turn a corner where I have 8-11 covers for a lot of the older 4*s, and I expect a bunch will be max-covered by the end of the year, which puts them in the 13-18mo range.

As for actual "newer" 4*s, like stuff that was released in 2016? Ha. Those are mostly in the 2-5 cover range for me. I'm not expecting them to be max covered anytime this year.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hit 1300 every PVP except offseason and get the 25 CP each PVP. I generally get 2-3 covers for new releases and occasionally have gotten 4 covers. I would say I can max cover in the 4-6 month range depending on RNG. I just recently max covered Pun, but I still have not max covered Spider Gwen who has 12 covers now. I also hoard my CP till I have at least 100k ISO banked so I can champion a 4* when I pull a 14th 4* cover.
    To give other ideas my drax is at 5,1,4. War machine 1,4,3 moon knight 1,3,2 and Bucky 0,3,3 Peggy 1,1,3 wasp 0,1,2 and Howard 1,1,2. Those are the 4* I do not have max covers for.
    And Yes I have a 13 cover devil Dino!!!
  • DapperChewie
    DapperChewie Posts: 399 Mover and Shaker
    An alliance mate had a champed icon_peggycarter.png within a month. I know there were special circumstances with extra covers offered for her, but still, that was legit impressive considering he doesn't whale new characters.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:
    jobob wrote:

I try not to add it up for fear that it might depress me to see how much I spend on a mobile game.

Thank you for your sacrifice. icon_lol.gif
  • atomzed
    Wow, seems that the variance can be really huge. Vhailorx experience with 4cyc and rulk is especially surprising.... Since they are the older 4*, I would expect it to be covered earlier. It may also be that vhailorx don't reach 1300 consistently so you weren't able to tap on the LT when the odds were less diluted.

And job, considering that you max covered the new 4* toon within a month, my guess is that it takes about a few hundred dollars for the 40 pack to max cover them. It's cool actually, cos your whaling is supporting the game!
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    My quickest was quake, released in mar and championed towards the end of may