So, I skipped 50 times in a row in shield simulator..

firethorne
firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So, I skipped 50 times in a row in shield simulator, and every team presented to me had Old Man Logan. Every. Single. Team.

Devs, is this what you want the game to be?

Edit:. For context, I'm fielding 182 Magneto, 178 Iron Fist, 178 Luke Cage. Currently shielded at 1791 points. My OML is a 0/1/1, lvl 255.

Comments

• tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    He heals 1,600+ per turn. It's a no brainier to drag him to every fight to conserve resources. Not saying it's right, or fun, but it's certainly not surprising.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    tanis3303 wrote:
    He heals 1,600+ per turn. It's a no brainier to drag him to every fight to conserve resources. Not saying it's right, or fun, but it's certainly not surprising.

And he's healed fully the next match. If they took that away it would maybe be slightly fair.

Oh, except he fires an ability on other cheap abilities. Hence the ONLY reason you see Ant-Man, Nova, and 3* IF matched with him!

AND it doesn't help that CS kept dropping "Any cover" on early RNG-complainers (sounded like only if they had recently dropped cash as well....) - how many of those folks do you think asked for something other than OML-yellow?

I did a whole "Lack of Diversity" tracking where I saw OML at an 85% clip - that is not changing. (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45391) Some argue it -will- change eventually, when folks get other 5*'s....except now the Classics aren't boosting draw % anymore apparently, so instead you have a more diluted pool that won't get you anywhere in 5* land any faster.

Hope you drew your OML to battle OML early on, or do some sacrifice to the RNG-only gods!

Also hope you enjoy the game MQP:OML. (Nerf The Only Character That Matters, make it so more than one character matters! Widen MMR!)
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I've gotten into the habit of waiting until late each season before starting Shield Sim -- by that time, the field is more crowded top to bottom, I get a lot of manageable 75-point matches on the initial climb to 800, and I continue to see reasonable matches (meaning: 3*s) all the way to 2000.

Last month I climbed to 2000 with a roster that's mostly a bunch of champed 3*s (plus a champed IMHB and X-23 and some orphan 5*s), and I didn't have to fight a 4* along the way if I didn't want to, let alone any OMLs. I find Shield Sim to be pretty manageable this way, and I'm someone who can't hit 1000 in regular PvPs to save my life.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lol this "everything is the devs fault" forum. There is 17 days 8 hrs left in season and you are at 1791 points! You expect to see a bunch of other 3* only teams worth many points above 1791 with over 17 days left??

How is this the devs fault? They are supposed to manufacture targets for you? Show some patience and climb with 4,5,6,7 or around there days left. With your roster don't try to hit 2k with 1 or 2 days left or with 17 days left. This PvP system might be fundamentally wrong and that's another discussion. However, the particular issue you describe is very simple to understand. Don't blame the "devs".

I also hope your plan is to hit 2k and free fall otherwise starting to burn shields with 17days left is gonna be expensive!
  • cooperbigdaddy
    cooperbigdaddy Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Lol this "everything is the devs fault" forum. There is 17 days 8 hrs left in season and you are at 1791 points! You expect to see a bunch of other 3* only teams worth many points above 1791 with over 17 days left??

How is this the devs fault? They are supposed to manufacture targets for you? Show some patience and climb with 4,5,6,7 or around there days left. With your roster don't try to hit 2k with 1 or 2 days left or with 17 days left. This PvP system might be fundamentally wrong and that's another discussion. However, the particular issue you describe is very simple to understand. Don't blame the "devs".

I also hope your plan is to hit 2k and free fall otherwise starting to burn shields with 17days left is gonna be expensive!

If you are only supposed to wait until there are, let's say, 7 days, for the benefit of the doubt, then why not make the Shield Simulator 7 days long that pops up a week before the season ends? Why make it last a month?

Also, I don't know what the OP's plan is, but I think hitting 2K and free falling is the right way to play PVP. Get the actual rewards instead of trying to place and get, maybe, one extra heroic token, which will probably give you a 2* cover anyway, right?

I'm a much lower level player, but I find PVP very frustrating whenever I'm trying to find a match I think I can win without using all my boosts every fight. Maybe I'm whining, but I don't feel this mode rewards progression of a roster.

-You should always get seed teams, that way a beginner can still beat three teams and enjoy being able to even play the game. *You don't always get seed teams*
    -Once you are a novice and your roster is better, you should be able to beat seed teams and maybe a few more, garnering a few more rewards. You know, because you're better now, you should be able to go further than you have been able to before. *You are now immediately placed against better teams that are as hard to beat as you had before with a lesser team. And you don't always get seed teams.*
    -You're a good player with a good team, maybe chilling in the 3* land. You should be able to beat seed teams and maybe a few more small teams, and maybe a few more better teams, garnering a few more rewards. You know, because you're better now, you should be able to go further than you have been able to before. *You are now immediately placed against EVEN better teams that are as hard to beat as you had before with a lesser team. And you don't always get seed teams.*
    -I think you understand what I'm going to say about the next few tiers.

But I would even forgive the lack of feeling a progress in the game, and the weird matchmaking, and the ISO tax to skip to a beatable team, etc. I would forgive it all if we could PLEASE keep all points we've gained so we can actually get a reward instead of being close, playing a million games, take a 5 second break, and lose 200 points, losing all momentum and not feeling you can climb back up to get that reward you were LITERALLY ONE POINT AWAY FROM GETTING.

Just this guy's opinion. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think this is mostly a problem that will fix itself given enough time and a better 5* distribution system.

OML is good, but he's not THAT good relative to the other top 5*s. The problem is that he is both good AND the second oldest 5*. So more people have him covered than almost any other 5*s.

Yes he does heal, and yes the existence of true healing does undermine the health mechanic of the game and strongly incentivize the use of true healers. But that doesn't really matter in high-end PVP. Once you start shield hopping, regen becomes MUCH less significant. When you can only ever play 3 or 4 matches at a time, who cares if it costs a healthpack or two?

And in PVE and during early PVP climbs, an abundance of OML isn't really a problem.

So IMO this problem will mostly fix itself once more people get other good 5*s up to usable levels. Everyone will use GG or IM46 for shield hopping, since nothing beats 23k damage for 8ap right now. And people will start using banner for defense, since he looks the ultimate defensive troll character.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Even i do use him... after 1500+ hours, 40 championed 3* covers, OML with 10 cards and 0 ISO invested is a pick no. 1.
    Sure, hes not the best i have and he doesnt fit all situations but hes great tank/support.
    After champing some 4* (Wolverine will be the first one) i will replace OML for sure...

I dont see any problem in this... you know why? Its pretty difficult to get LTs/CPs - it requires strong characters and plenty of time. 5*s are adequate reward for months of hard work, and yes, they may look overpowered, but dont forget without all those "weak and useless 2*/3*/4* covers" you would never get him.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    veny wrote:
    Even i do use him... after 1500+ hours, 40 championed 3* covers, OML with 10 cards and 0 ISO invested is a pick no. 1.
    Sure, hes not the best i have and he doesnt fit all situations but hes great tank/support.
    After champing some 4* (Wolverine will be the first one) i will replace OML for sure...

I dont see any problem in this... you know why? Its pretty difficult to get LTs/CPs - it requires strong characters and plenty of time. 5*s are adequate reward for months of hard work, and yes, they may look overpowered, but dont forget without all those "weak and useless 2*/3*/4* covers" you would never get him.

If your '10 cards' on OML means 10 covers and you think putting iso into 4* Wolverine over a 10 cover OML is a good option... I got news for you...
  • Between this and I got cho-les thread, idk what to say, meanwhile a 1000 kids died in Africa due to starvation while op made this thread.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Between this and I got cho-les thread, idk what to say, meanwhile a 1000 kids died in Africa due to starvation while op made this thread.

We can't do anything about that. But our complaining MIGHT fix this game! =D
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards

If you are only supposed to wait until there are, let's say, 7 days, for the benefit of the doubt, then why not make the Shield Simulator 7 days long that pops up a week before the season ends? Why make it last a month?

It's not that you are "supposed" to wait longer. It's that by climbing super early you invite yourself to be attacked for juicy points, so the only people that will climb early are the ones who have the spare resources, i.e. health packs, to do so. Because OML is the best tool in the game for conserving said resources, it stands to reason that people who have him are the most likely to climb early.

If Sim only lasted 7 days it wouldn't be any different, the ideal window would just be a proportionately smaller chunk of time towards the end.

Personally I just meander my way up the ladder on Sim all season and float at 1500ish with a 4* team, then make the run for 2k when there are 4-5 days left - lots of points to be had, but people aren't yet making the last minute grab for the cover and bashing you every 2 seconds when you start closing in.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Jarvind wrote:
    It's not that you are "supposed" to wait longer. It's that by climbing super early you invite yourself to be attacked for juicy points, so the only people that will climb early are the ones who have the spare resources, i.e. health packs, to do so. Because OML is the best tool in the game for conserving said resources, it stands to reason that people who have him are the most likely to climb early.

If Sim only lasted 7 days it wouldn't be any different, the ideal window would just be a proportionately smaller chunk of time towards the end.

Personally I just meander my way up the ladder on Sim all season and float at 1500ish with a 4* team, then make the run for 2k when there are 4-5 days left - lots of points to be had, but people aren't yet making the last minute grab for the cover and bashing you every 2 seconds when you start closing in.

This. I think a lot of people don't understand that the points in PvP don't just come out of nowhere. The more battles that occur in a PvP event, the more points become available over time. For instance, in a regular season PvP, a retal war between two people up to 600-700 points is actually net positive in points overall (and quite a good way to farm iso, to boot). Shield bounces also generate points in an event (although this is less relevant for shield sim where most people don't shield until near the end, or if hopping for 2k).

When you start an event, you see lots of 60-75 point matches, which slowly dry up, the higher you get. If you start early, you're going to see fewer and fewer high value matches sooner, because you yourself become the high value target. If you ever frontrun in a PvP event, you eventually find yourself at a stage where you're hitting 20-30 point targets to keep on climbing. You need to have a strong roster to be able to do that, or you'll get murdered on the retaliations. That's why you generally only see stronger rosters sitting high up early in an event.

Kudos to the OP for climbing as high as he has this early on in Shield Sim with his roster, but you're also making life difficult for yourself, because you're now surrounded by hard targets, and you're a juicy target yourself. The advice to wait until later in the event when there are more points in the event available is good advice. Early climbing is for the 5* players.
  • Merrick
    Merrick Posts: 198 Tile Toppler
    The reason sim is 28 days is so that you can farm ISO for 28 days.

Hitting max progression isn't possible without a great roster too early. But getting up to 1700 points and falling down to 1200 everyday is possible. Climb back up, & repeat. Then when the matches get easier, push to 2k.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    How about this:

Last season I tried climbing to 1,7k in Shield Sim. My top characters were 4 2* champs. Last days of the season, at 1,5k, after 20 skips I couldn't find a single team that wouldn't have a 5* character. Oh, and just so you know: a single 5* wrecks my team with just match damage.

How is that fair? Average lvl of my top characters was around 110 and I had to face 255+ characters.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    Alsmir wrote:
    How about this:

Last season I tried climbing to 1,7k in Shield Sim. My top characters were 4 2* champs. Last days of the season, at 1,5k, after 20 skips I couldn't find a single team that wouldn't have a 5* character. Oh, and just so you know: a single 5* wrecks my team with just match damage.

How is that fair? Average lvl of my top characters was around 110 and I had to face 255+ characters.

You need to complain to the other 2* and 3* teams. It's their fault for not having high enough scores to give you easy points. I think you should put out a constant-contact to all of them chiding them for this misdeed.

BTW, open invitation for everyone to hit my team. I've been using Shield Sim to farm 2* covers.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:
    Alsmir wrote:
    How about this:

You need to complain to the other 2* and 3* teams. It's their fault for not having high enough scores to give you easy points. I think you should put out a constant-contact to all of them chiding them for this misdeed.

BTW, open invitation for everyone to hit my team. I've been using Shield Sim to farm 2* covers.
    I bet you're one of those totally unfair guys who runs OML!
    I'm gonna complain that I don't get to hit on 4* teams all the way to 5K now!
    It's totally unfair that I get punished for having a champed 5* myself!
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    So.. You wasted at least 470 iso8 for that conclusion
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards

Also, I don't know what the OP's plan is, but I think hitting 2K and free falling is the right way to play PVP. Get the actual rewards instead of trying to place and get, maybe, one extra heroic token, which will probably give you a 2* cover anyway, right?

I'm a much lower level player, but I find PVP very frustrating whenever I'm trying to find a match I think I can win without using all my boosts every fight. Maybe I'm whining, but I don't feel this mode rewards progression of a roster.

-You should always get seed teams, that way a beginner can still beat three teams and enjoy being able to even play the game. *You don't always get seed teams*
    -Once you are a novice and your roster is better, you should be able to beat seed teams and maybe a few more, garnering a few more rewards. You know, because you're better now, you should be able to go further than you have been able to before. *You are now immediately placed against better teams that are as hard to beat as you had before with a lesser team. And you don't always get seed teams.*
    -You're a good player with a good team, maybe chilling in the 3* land. You should be able to beat seed teams and maybe a few more small teams, and maybe a few more better teams, garnering a few more rewards. You know, because you're better now, you should be able to go further than you have been able to before. *You are now immediately placed against EVEN better teams that are as hard to beat as you had before with a lesser team. And you don't always get seed teams.*
    -I think you understand what I'm going to say about the next few tiers.

But I would even forgive the lack of feeling a progress in the game, and the weird matchmaking, and the ISO tax to skip to a beatable team, etc. I would forgive it all if we could PLEASE keep all points we've gained so we can actually get a reward instead of being close, playing a million games, take a 5 second break, and lose 200 points, losing all momentum and not feeling you can climb back up to get that reward you were LITERALLY ONE POINT AWAY FROM GETTING.

Just this guy's opinion. icon_mrgreen.gif

For those of us who like to yo yo to earn iso having a month long shield sim is great. .
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I think this is mostly a problem that will fix itself given enough time and a better 5* distribution system.

OML is good, but he's not THAT good relative to the other top 5*s. The problem is that he is both good AND the second oldest 5*. So more people have him covered than almost any other 5*s.

Yes he does heal, and yes the existence of true healing does undermine the health mechanic of the game and strongly incentivize the use of true healers. But that doesn't really matter in high-end PVP. Once you start shield hopping, regen becomes MUCH less significant. When you can only ever play 3 or 4 matches at a time, who cares if it costs a healthpack or two?

And in PVE and during early PVP climbs, an abundance of OML isn't really a problem.

So IMO this problem will mostly fix itself once more people get other good 5*s up to usable levels. Everyone will use GG or IM46 for shield hopping, since nothing beats 23k damage for 8ap right now. And people will start using banner for defense, since he looks the ultimate defensive troll character.

I mostly agree with you, OML is very old (and the only other 5 older than him is ****) and he has regen so he is the one that everybody uses.

It is also that the MMR is more or less tolerant to level one 5, but not more than one, so people levels the one that makes a bigger difference, the one that has regen (a lot of people could level a second or even more 5s to the 350-370 level but doesnt do it because that would screw their MMR and PvE scaling). The system we have greatly penalizes levelling more than one 5 (until you have 4+ 5s that can be champed).

The big problem going forward is that maxing the 4th 5 (and all the others that came after that) is MUCH more harder/slower. Spidey came just a couple of months after PH, but in my particular case for example I have pulled less than half of the ones I have pulled of the first three 5s (14+ for the first three, just 7 for Spidey). And it is even worse for GG (just 3 covers). THIS IS A BIG DEAL FOR ME. I am having a big luck of motivation to keep playing. If I am going to need another 9 months to level Spidey and GG then I will just stop playing... Who cares about new 4s, I just want to level the existent 5s, but it is really hard to get covers for the ones I really want (right now Spidey, GG and IM).

PS: And things can only get worse when BlackBolt (must certainly a 5) and Doc Strange (also must certainly a 5) are released. It looks like new 5s are just for SUPER MEGA WHALES
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    For those of us who like to yo yo to earn iso having a month long shield sim is great. .
    I've had a ton of fun yo-yo'ing shield sim the last few seasons. already done 2-3 yoyo cycles this season. basically save a team early on that you can beat with a lower mmr team. do not miss saving that team early, because once you start climbing, those teams stop showing up. for me that's finding a 3*/4* team early on that I can beat with 3s. my go to team for my drop-brownie is gamora/fist/hood. push high (but don't have to kill yourself) with your A team (oml/im40/ice for me) and then beat that lower team with the drop brownie. many hits that come in are other 3* teams and 4* teams (easy to blow through with an A team). hit all retals except for a 3* team. finish with the drop-brownie. rinse repeat. make iso. only limit is how many cycles you can do. when I take pve off, I play simulator more just like this. I've only discovered this in the last few seasons. wish I had realized it sooner.