Why are there progression cutoffs?

2»

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    That also doesn't explain why PvE stops so early.
    But we know why that happens. Just count every post on this board that complains that the 25CP is too hard to hit.

Now cross those complaints with users that complain they have to sell 5* characters because of scaling.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    Which would be fine and dandy, except for the fact that the OP's proposal also encourages more grinding from people who aren't currently doing it.
    Thanks for protecting them from themselves at the expense of everyone else who's already getting days' worth of no progression awards.

If I'm protecting anyone from themselves, it's you. You seem to be exactly the kind of player who would end up regretting this type of change: someone who values their ability to place well, and doesn't like changes that make it harder to do that.
    People who are grinding for placement don't need more people competing with them who are only incidentally in the placement race because of progression rewards. In fact, the fact that the new system puts more pressure on those people than the old system did is the single largest complaint about the new system on these boards.

So, if I've got this straight, you're pro-new PvE system because more people can compete for prizes, but you're against my proposal because more people will be competing for prizes? Even though both are accidental competition?

I am, let's say, pro-anything-but-the-old-PvE-system. That said, your proposal takes the least popular part of the new system and expands on it. That doesn't seem like it addresses the biggest problems the game has right now.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    If I'm protecting anyone from themselves, it's you. You seem to be exactly the kind of player who would end up regretting this type of change: someone who values their ability to place well, and doesn't like changes that make it harder to do that.
    Don't presume you know me, and don't presume to speak on my behalf. And don't presume that you understand competitive PvE. You've never played that way, so you don't know anything about it. People grinding extra for ISO won't affect rankings at all. The people at the top are already playing optimally, and someone who's just looking for ISO and otherwise wouldn't care, isn't going to be playing optimally.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Obligatory "Gimme that PvE's featured 4* cover in progression rewards" post.

But seriously, gimme that PvE's featured 4* cover in progression rewards plzthxby
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Why is the 25CP cutoff the end of PvP/PvE/Season progression? And why is it set at levels easily achievable (for elder players)? Logically, it makes no sense that you'd ever want to play an event once you've achieved the progression.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. The developers, most likely, don't want scores to go far beyond max Progression.

I think it should also be obvious that many players would be turned off by the presence of desirable Progression rewards that fell far outside a reasonable amount of play time. Alternatively, the Devs could add undesirable Progression rewards after the 25 CP, but I'm sure that would lead to loud complaints as well.