4* PVP: Why not?

13»

Comments

• Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Konman wrote:
    What would be the point of a 4* centric PVP? What problem would it alleviate? Instead of being forced to occasionally use **** 3*s, you'll be forced to occasionally use **** 4*s?

Personally I'd love it just because I'd feel like all 3 of my team members were up to the current level of play. Right now it feels like it's already 4*-centric, but I'm being forced to use a weak character that I have to shield from harm because they can usually only take one hit from an offensive power (or like, a handful of gem matches from 5* characters) without dying.

With a few standout exceptions (IM40, Scarlet Witch, Luke Cage, etc) the essential character is often more of a liability than an asset. This is mostly a function of their lower health pool, although a lot of offensive 3* powers are also mosquito bites to a boosted 4* with 30k health.
  • Slarow
    Slarow Posts: 204 Tile Toppler
    Jarvind wrote:
    Konman wrote:
    What would be the point of a 4* centric PVP? What problem would it alleviate? Instead of being forced to occasionally use **** 3*s, you'll be forced to occasionally use **** 4*s?

Personally I'd love it just because I'd feel like all 3 of my team members were up to the current level of play. Right now it feels like it's already 4*-centric, but I'm being forced to use a weak character that I have to shield from harm because they can usually only take one hit from an offensive power (or like, a handful of gem matches from 5* characters) without dying.

With a few standout exceptions (IM40, Scarlet Witch, Luke Cage, etc) the essential character is often more of a liability than an asset. This is mostly a function of their lower health pool, although a lot of offensive 3* powers are also mosquito bites to a boosted 4* with 30k health.

This. Exactly this. 4*/5* players are currently stuck with a loaner that, save for one or two of the 40, they would never in a million years put on their team. That cuts the number of useful characters on the players team by a third. Most players have another "best" character, which they basically have to use, and that means they really only have one slot that they could ever really play around with different characters. For 4* players who don't have an OML as their best, they usually are stuck with their two best, and can't ever play with other 4*'s without crippling their team.

Allowing the player to select their own version of the 4* featured instead of their own version of the 3* featured would allow 4* teams and 3* transitioning teams to actually use some of the 2nd and 3rd tier 4* characters who are covered but will never in a million years see ISO put into them.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Konman wrote:
    More like you would be forced to use more of your roster, and, more specifically, the tier that is more in line with the level the game has reached.

Also... it would be a breath of fresh air, which PVP desperately needs. You would get to try out new team combinations, new strategies.

Furthermore, with the 4* tier being a big focal point for players building their rosters now, it would give people who have champed that 4* a chance to be rewarded for it. Also, since most people, myself included, don't have all 4*s champed, you would have some PVPs where you are very strong, some where you aren't... Tons of people have already champed most or all of the 3* by now.
  • Konman
    Konman Posts: 410 Mover and Shaker
    TxMoose wrote:
    Konman wrote:
    the assumption is that the rewards would scale up too (not sure that's a safe assumption). unless the rewards significantly scale, I'm not sure I'm all for it. although I only have a handful of 3s left to finish and I'm pretty sure they'll implement it right after I'm done, rendering my last few months of iso mostly wasted.

Better, less stingy, more relevant rewards is an argument that could stand on it's own, and there is no certainty that implementing a 4* PVP would automatically create worthwhile rewards.
  • Konman
    Jarvind wrote:
    Konman wrote:

When a 4* is featured in the current PVP system (a new release), most players use a loaner for the event. In a true 4* featured PVP system, most players would use a loaner most of the time, which would shift character liability from 4* tier players having to use a boosted 3*, to everyone else have to use a loaner character. That's a big shift.
  • Konman
    Slarow wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:
    Konman wrote:

This. Exactly this. 4*/5* players are currently stuck with a loaner that, save for one or two of the 40, they would never in a million years put on their team. That cuts the number of useful characters on the players team by a third. Most players have another "best" character, which they basically have to use, and that means they really only have one slot that they could ever really play around with different characters. For 4* players who don't have an OML as their best, they usually are stuck with their two best, and can't ever play with other 4*'s without crippling their team.

Allowing the player to select their own version of the 4* featured instead of their own version of the 3* featured would allow 4* teams and 3* transitioning teams to actually use some of the 2nd and 3rd tier 4* characters who are covered but will never in a million years see ISO put into them.

Most 4* characters don't have a 3* version to swap in and out as featured in events, so pick and choose isn't always going to work.

The problem you are describing seems to be, not that a new 4* PVP is needed, its that more 4* characters need to suck less. That more ISO needs to be available, so a scarce resource is more likely to be used on less desirable characters. If Cho, or Star Lord, or Kate Bishop, or Wasp, or Drax, or Mr. F, or IW, or Elektra, or Winter Soldier, or War Machine, or Venom, or Spider Gwen, or....you get the picture, any of the vast majority of 4* characters weren't already a liability, then they would be used more, instead of the top 5 4* that are used almost exclusively. Nothing in the current PVP system stops anyone from using Drax every event, except that Drax kinda sucks, and no one in their right mind would use him unless he is super buffed and they are forced to.
  • Konman
    jobob wrote:
    Konman wrote:
    More like you would be forced to use more of your roster, and, more specifically, the tier that is more in line with the level the game has reached.

Also... it would be a breath of fresh air, which PVP desperately needs. You would get to try out new team combinations, new strategies.

Furthermore, with the 4* tier being a big focal point for players building their rosters now, it would give people who have champed that 4* a chance to be rewarded for it. Also, since most people, myself included, don't have all 4*s champed, you would have some PVPs where you are very strong, some where you aren't... Tons of people have already champed most or all of the 3* by now.

For most players, it would more likely be: forced to use the loaner 4*, and whatever their other 2 best characters are.

Nothing prevents any player with a viable 4* roster from using those characters in the existing PVP, except maybe that the majority of the 4* characters stink. If you want to be competitive, and not get destroyed, you are required to use a few, far superior 4*s to the neglect of all the others.

That would lead me to think that they need to concentrate on making existing characters more viable/balance issues, and not on creating new ways to force players to use weak characters that we otherwise refuse to use.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Konman wrote:
    Nothing prevents any player with a viable 4* roster from using those characters in the existing PVP, except maybe that the majority of the 4* characters stink. If you want to be competitive, and not get destroyed, you are required to use a few, far superior 4*s to the neglect of all the others.
    I'm not saying you are prevented from using any 4*... what I am saying is that you aren't given the opportunity to pick 2 characters to pair with a 4*. Sometimes building a team around the feature 3* can be fun. It would be fun to build a team around a feature 4* sometimes too.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    A lot of the back-and-forth here seems to be revolving around the idea that we'd have more 4* events in lieu of 3* events. Why narrow our perspective so? There is literally nothing stopping them from creating a one-or-the-other scenario akin to the Civil War boss fight. All that needs be done is create a situation in which playing a node in the 4* event permanently locks out all the nodes in the 3* event and vice versa. Then off you go. If you're not ready to compete with the 4*, you keep on playing ol' faithful. As your roster develops, sooner or later that 4* character you have championed is the featured and you might feel ready to shoot for the bigger prizes.

And of course, the 5* players will continue to smash everyone to bits on both sides. Stupid broken tier. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • killerkoala
    killerkoala Posts: 1,185 Chairperson of the Boards
    El Satanno wrote:
    A lot of the back-and-forth here seems to be revolving around the idea that we'd have more 4* events in lieu of 3* events. Why narrow our perspective so? There is literally nothing stopping them from creating a one-or-the-other scenario akin to the Civil War boss fight. All that needs be done is create a situation in which playing a node in the 4* event permanently locks out all the nodes in the 3* event and vice versa. Then off you go. If you're not ready to compete with the 4*, you keep on playing ol' faithful. As your roster develops, sooner or later that 4* character you have championed is the featured and you might feel ready to shoot for the bigger prizes.

And of course, the 5* players will continue to smash everyone to bits on both sides. Stupid broken tier. icon_rolleyes.gif

lol what makes u think the prizes will be bigger. they will probably still give out 3*'s as the main prizes.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    lol what makes u think the prizes will be bigger. they will probably still give out 3*'s as the main prizes.

Dude, I seriously doubt anything close to this will ever happen at all. It's just for the sake of conversation.
  • MrCrowley
    MrCrowley Posts: 81 Match Maker
    I think the best would be to run two PVPs concurrently.
    The first one is the one we have now, but not allowing the use of any 5s.
    The second one allows 5s.

Rewards need to be repositioned/rethought so that each PVP mode is reasonable in terms of progression and ability of the participating players.

The first event would feature 3s and the second would feature 4s. Possibly both could occasionally feature one tier higher also, like we have 4s for new events.
  • Slarow
    Slarow Posts: 204 Tile Toppler
    Konman wrote:
    For most players, it would more likely be: forced to use the loaner 4*, and whatever their other 2 best characters are.

There shouldn't be a 4* loaner. The center character should be either a 3* loaner featured, the players 3* featured, or the players 4* featured. That way players who are nowhere near 4* land aren't forced into it, and a loaner 4* doesn't totally overpower their other characters (the game would be exactly the same for them as it is now). It would also reward players who have all those completely useless, 13 cover, level 70 4* sitting on their roster, currently doing absolutely nothing.