If MPQ started over, would you play? (Poll)

Orion
Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
edited August 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Let's say that the devs decided to start the game completely over for everyone. The same content, but everyone started at Day 1 from scratch. Would you play this new game?

Yeah, the whales would spend and be the top dogs for a long time, but all of the f2p people would be on the same footing. I think it would be interesting to see how quickly people could get champed 2*s, 3*s, 4*s and 5*s.

PvP would certainly be interesting for a while too. I certainly wouldn't make the same noob mistakes this time. So what do you think?
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Taking away my sunk cost fallacy would be a good way to get me to move on.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    You just spent 3 years building a sand castle that's an exact replica of the Vatican, and then the neighbor's dog got into your yard, took a dump in St. Peter's Square, and buried it under what used to be the basilica. Are you gonna start over from scratch and redo the whole thing?
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    No. Too much character dilution among all the tiers. Wouldn't want to continually buy roster slots. Or play the same events over and over to get characters on my roster that I don't even use now. The only reason I continue to play is because of the roster I've built up from already playing. Would not be able to continue my current playstyle and get the same results.

Also, already having a firm grasp on D3's communication, wouldn't want to support a company who operates the way they do
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Hahaha no.

Having actually tried rerolling an alt account, the prospect of re-getting 90 roster slots would totally not be worth it.
  • fun_and_gun
    fun_and_gun Posts: 120 Tile Toppler
    no. just hit day 897. to me, somewhere along the way, this game took a wrong turn into no-fun-city. I still play (casually) in the hopes that something gets implemented that makes me want to play competitively again.
  • HxiiiK
    HxiiiK Posts: 195 Tile Toppler
    Like some of the above said, getting rid of my progress is the best way to move on. I, like many other vets, have been in this game for almost the entirety of the time it has been up and running (I'm about 1 and a half months behind most of the veteran-est of the vets at day 950ish) and we've sunk way too much time into it. If they were to wipe everyone's progress, I would be able to finally put down the game and move on from it back into a life where I don't have to tailor my time around a silly match-3 game.

tl;dr, a big fat NO.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Knowing what know now I would be a fool too. I honestly don't think I could face another 700ish days of the same turgid events over and over. If there was even a sniff of any actual new gameplay then I might at a push.

Also without character specific lightning rounds, lack of awesome low level characters (Thor: Marvel Now, Astonishing Wolverine and Original Black Widow, I miss your combined awesomeness) it is just too darned hard to focus on building a specific character. Remember the days when Lightning Rounds actually gave characters instead of tokens? One of many bad decisions by the developers.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    We're all addicts, just waiting for an excuse to stop the game.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I answered no (for reasons everyone else has already stated), but I am curious: in this scenario, would the released content all be set back to square one and released in the same order, or would all of it remain intact (events, characters, etc)? That'd make a pretty dramatic difference; if everyone got reset to zero but 5*s still existed, whales would have such a ridiculous leg up on everyone else it would make the game virtually unplayable if you weren't one.
  • Ungoliant
    Ungoliant Posts: 29
    If it's the same RNG based game, no.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    I voted no, but I would probably still play through the prologue since the progression in that seemed more consistent.

The ideal for me would be a marvel-based sequel to the original puzzle quests that charged a fair price and gave you the full game.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    Is this a serious question? This is not a game where grinding and playing is fun - if i lost my 1500 hours of game, i would... to be honest i would have a reason why to finally stop playing icon_e_biggrin.gif
    The only thing that keeps me in the game is the joy of promoting covers and hoping that one day i can max out whole my roster - this hope is dying due to frequency of new 4* releases. So no, starting from zero, with 100+ covers to unlock, collect and upgrade... not again.
  • Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    What would be the point? To relive being an Eloi to their Morlock needs? I came back around 3 months ago, and play a very casual pace now. Have 3 going on four champed 2*. Finally getting 3* covers after going through a barrage of 4* covers that are bait to make a new player spend. They don't need to start over they just need to learn that a fresh breath of air is difficult to take in when all around is staleness. Put new content in, stop banging out new hero's every other week. VILLAINS VILLAINS VILLAINS! You know the reason hero's exsist?!?! All I know is that I can ignore this game now as well as the Devs ignore the endless pleas for difference.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    I answered yes, but then again maybe "no". It would be interesting to start roster again and not doing the same mistakes, but I wouldn't consume time again for that. So probably would just stop playing and find something else to do.
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again. icon_lol.gif
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nope. They suckered my addictive personality once. I smoked the pipe - I ain't snorting the next thing they put in front of me.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Basically had to stop playing after going on vacation. Getting back into playing regularly has been a serious struggle since then. I've considered hanging up my hat for good, but with the "improvements" Cthulhu has mentioned from time to time that they are implementing, I haven't completely given up yet.

If they started over, absolutely would not play. It would be an uninstall without thinking twice and no ragrets.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've had no motivation to play my Steam account that is still a very young account. I just feel so far behind in that account, it's ridiculous.

So if they wiped the mobile too... no. I wouldn't. I'd probably uninstall and download pokemon Go!

I can only really play 1 mobile game at a time. That's all I have time for, so if i lose 671 days of progress and 98 roster spots, I will have absolutely no motivation to do it again.

If they made an MPQ2, and allowed people to have an advantage that played MPQ, such as truly exclusive characters, alternate covers based on your past roster, etc. Then maybe I'd play MPQ2, and everyone would be starting over at the same time, I'd feel on pace with the game.

Even at 671 days I'm behind a lot of people, only having 5 champed 4*'s.

For an MPQ2 to succeed for me, they would have to discontinue MPQ because I won't play both.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Only if they kept the current one going and separate from the "new universe".

I do think it would be interesting starting over on a level playing field. The problem with a hard reset is that there's a lot of investment - time and money - sunk into building our current rosters. I'm pretty sure taking that progress away would be viewed by the players as a slap in the face.

If there were a new universe I wouldn't play unless it were less grindy. Targeted character development would be preferable. I would not want to recollect 90-some characters x 13 covers randomly ever again.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    There is no end game. Even winning new covers for my 4* and 5*s doesn't excite me much, because there's nothing that I can really do with them.

Oh, maybe if I gain another few hundred thousand ISO, I could level them up the tiniest bit, but then what?