PVE: Hearts of Darkness (2016-07-28 to 2016-07-31)

Options
2»

Comments

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,120 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kishida wrote:
    I've avoided any truly nasty cascades so far. Besides, Daken and Patch can both regenerate moderate damage. If it works according to plan, Daken converts green to strike tiles; that green feeds Patch. If you can stockpile black, use Moonstone to convert the purple enemy strike tiles from Patch's green and/or muscle strike tiles back to you, and you're laying waste to goons left and right. It's worked for me so far.
    Right up until that point, your strategy is exactly what I had been doing, and it was working quite nicely. All it took was the RNG to say "You've got one too many health packs, buddy. I think Patch is going down....NOW." Next think I know, Patch is down.
  • Kishida
    Kishida Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2016
    Options
    sambrookjm wrote:
    Right up until that point, your strategy is exactly what I had been doing, and it was working quite nicely. All it took was the RNG to say "You've got one too many health packs, buddy. I think Patch is going down....NOW." Next think I know, Patch is down.

That's RNG for you. I suppose I just got overexcited at having some genuinely enjoyable gameplay precede the irritations that always, always follow. And the utter shock of Moonstone serving... a special purpose.
  • vinnygecko
    vinnygecko Posts: 241 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I found the hardest node to be the IW essential - Kishu x 2 + Muscle. Failed numerous times (even using OML or Thoress) before I finally found a team that worked:

icon_elektra.pngicon_invisiblewoman.pngicon_falcon.png / icon_captainamerica.png (Flaptain).

Yes, a team of some of the worst 4*s prevailed where OML failed. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The final IW required node against teen Jean, chuck, and 4* Scott is wiping me out. Ideas?
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have problems even vs those muscles
  • sambrookjm
    Options
    I've been using IW, Elektra and IM40 since the start. A surprisingly fun team. Recharge asap, use Elektra to steal strike tiles, use IW's Force Bubbles to lock any countdowns or specials and scan for Caltrops traps (and FFC to destroy them), and if need be Unibeam is available as a nuke
    How do you use Force Bubbles to scan for Caltrops traps? Last time I did this fight, Caltrops was the only thing that hit my team...for 5K damage each.
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jffdougan wrote:
    The final IW required node against teen Jean, chuck, and 4* Scott is wiping me out. Ideas?
    Have you been using Cap/IM40 combo (and is you IM40 actually got 3 in yellow as per you roster page?). +2y/r +2all and get those shields a flying quick smart.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I somehow managed to score exactly 42,000 points, so I'm basically calling it quits just to see exactly how many people hit the 25CP in my bracket. Sure I'll miss out on some iso, but such is life. What can I say, I'm curious... With ~16 hrs left, I'm in 208.

I accidentally used the CP on a latest legendary token instead of a classic, but it turned out to be a purple Banner. I have to say, if you're going to pull a single cover for a 5* (and it's not yellow Logan) you can't ask for a more fun one than that icon_e_smile.gif
  • jffdougan
    jffdougan Posts: 733 Critical Contributor
    Options
    CT1888 wrote:
    jffdougan wrote:
    Have you been using Cap/IM40 combo (and is you IM40 actually got 3 in yellow as per you roster page?). +2y/r +2all and get those shields a flying quick smart.

In the end, I think I finally did it with Sue, Patch, and MoStorm and focusing on black until I could get a Hailstorm going. Used a super whales team-up for the final run to get the CP.

However, thanks for letting me know I've got some out of date roster. My Battery Man does have 5 yellow.
  • Spidurman27
    Spidurman27 Posts: 184 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Kishida wrote:
    I'm still playing with a primarily 2* roster, but I have to say that the wave nodes in this are comically... dare I say fun?... using Daken/Patch/Moonstone.

I have a champion heavy 2* roster and was leaning pretty heavy on Daken in this one. Which I never mind, he's efficient - especially if I can leave him in the back for a board or two after a wave level (the shield agents) and let him heal there while the other two whale on em. Plus him and Thor powered up means full color coverage with a slot to spare
  • Mechahamster
    Mechahamster Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm a returning player who left when the 2 to 3 star transition was still incredibly hard, and I'm trying to catch up a bit now, and I noticed it has become quite hard to reach the final progression reward now, whereas it used to be relatively easy. I can consistently rank top 50 but I still need a lot of points while the nodes are becoming slightly beyond what I can defeat.

Is this a thing for everybody, or is it because the game is now focused on 3 star land being average, and my roster just being to weak?
  • CFacto
    CFacto Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    jffdougan wrote:

Same. Bag woman shouldn't even still be in the game, let alone a flippin' essential node.
  • ZootSax
    Options
    Just curious, will you be attempting to try top 10 for all three Wasp covers? Or are you fine settling for top 100?

I'm going to see how far off i am when i hit 42k, if i should continue for the top 10

Today real life plans made getting any Wasp covers realistically impossible in my slice (for the first two subs, doing 6-7 clears well off the optimal schedule left me outside the top 100, so I threw in the towel for Wasp--no cover in the game is worth trading my family time for), so I'm literally sitting at exactly 42k and seeing where that places me. I'm hoping I still get a purple Hawkeye to get closer to rechamping him, but I'm starting to think that I won't stay top 400. We shall see. I'm more curious to see what percentage of my slice hits progression.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jffdougan wrote:
    My plan is to never again let this damn game suck me into playing PvE for placement. It's bad enough having to play for 4-5 hours straight, but now the whole **** thing is going to come down to how many health packs you have to buy until you get a lucky board 4 times.
  • sambrookjm
    Options
    jffdougan wrote:
    To paraphrase South Park:

Phase 1 - Have a LVL 381 Invisible Woman.
    Phase 2 - ???
    Phase 3 - Command Point!

But seriously, it's a mean node. I cleared it the 3rd and 4th times with 3-star Deadpool, and Hood. My IW is LVL 381 thanks to her being powered up (normally LVL 276), so her having 29054 health was a huge help. She tanked Yellow and Blue for Hood, while Deadpool tanked black. Take out Prof X first, since those special tiles will get extremely annoying with Cyclops's cheap abilities. The fourth round, Jean Grey got off both of her abilities, which took out Deadpool and Hood, leaving me with IW vs Jean Grey. Fortunately, by that point, I had enough blue and green to Force Bubble/Crush Jean Grey.
  • ZootSax
    edited August 2016
    Options
    To follow up on what I mentioned earlier, 42k points on the nose was good for 368th place, so a little more than 1/3 of my bracket got progression. Top 10 all had more than double progression, so I'm not sure how that stacked against other brackets.

In any case, as simonsez said, I'm probably not even trying for placement again. Unless I've been very unlucky in my brackets, the time commitment is just too high...
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's very bracket dependant and keeping away from the big grinders. I jumped in with a few hours to go in the second sub, entered as 990 (think it was the second bracket in S1), got the CP and not that much more. Ended up grinding everything to dust in the third sub when I realised I would be able to reach the 25cp progression and came 104th overall. Some brackets, folks must see the big number they join at and just not try (I know I've done that plenty before).