Increase in PVE difficulty to try to stop us farming 2*s?

Nick441234
Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Throwing it out there. For me, I've been farming Ares, Black Widow, Human Torch and Captain Marvel as these characters I seem to get a lot of covers for. However, since the change and increased difficulty in PVE, I dont think I'll be able to continue doing this. The reason for this is that the essential fights have had their difficulty increased considerably. In the current PVE I'm finding the 2* Human Torch fights incredibly difficult as I'm having to carry an under covered and under leveled HT into the fight.

So yeah, thoughts? Do you reckon the increased difficulty could be a way to try and stop us farming maxed characters?

Comments

• carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Not really. For one thing, the fights aren't so hard that essentially 2-manning them isn't perfectly viable, and secondly, they only made farming 2*s for currencies possible a few weeks ago with a very deliberate change intended to accomplish exactly that. Why would they do that if they didn't want people to actually use the mechanic they implemented?

I dunno what your roster looks like but Patch/Hulk is always a quick and easy way to 2-man a node.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lol, yeah, sure.

That 144 buffed Torch is making a world of a difference in that essential against 382 Muscles.
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    *snip*

I dunno what your roster looks like but Patch/Hulk is always a quick and easy way to 2-man a node.

A little off-topic, but could you please elaborate a bit on that? I'm interested in knowing good ways to 2-man an essential node and I would never had thought of that combination. I mean, both active powers of those two overlap, and apart from that you have two passive powers and two potentially uncovered colors (blue and purple). How does that work?
  • Bowgentle
    DTStump wrote:
    *snip*

A little off-topic, but could you please elaborate a bit on that? I'm interested in knowing good ways to 2-man an essential node and I would never had thought of that combination. I mean, both active powers of those two overlap, and apart from that you have two passive powers and two potentially uncovered colors (blue and purple). How does that work?
    Put Hulk into the left slot.
    Do berserker rage.
    Make a match with Hulk.
    Win (and use a HP after).
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    DTStump wrote:
    *snip*

Do berserker rage.
    Make a match with Hulk.
    To give a little more detail, you need 5 black for Hulk so his Anger deals damage to the opposing team. This damage is amplified by Patch's strike tiles (5 green for Patch works best), and the opposing team gets whittled down very fast.
  • Nick441234
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Lol, yeah, sure.

That 144 buffed Torch is making a world of a difference in that essential against 382 Muscles.

I bet he makes more of a difference than a level 15 under covered one though. My level 15 is dying in seconds, he might as well not be there due to the scaling.
  • Nick441234
    Quebbster wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    DTStump wrote:
    *snip*

Do berserker rage.
    Make a match with Hulk.
    To give a little more detail, you need 5 black for Hulk so his Anger deals damage to the opposing team. This damage is amplified by Patch's strike tiles (5 green for Patch works best), and the opposing team gets whittled down very fast.

I will also give this a try. My scaling is making these fights extremely hard.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Lol, yeah, sure.

I bet he makes more of a difference than a level 15 under covered one though. My level 15 is dying in seconds, he might as well not be there due to the scaling.
    He doesn't, cause both yours and mine are dead if I let a tommy gun go off.
    Use Jean / Switch like any sane person and ignore the 2* guy.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    The reason the node feels hard is because everything is scaled to your best characters. So it alot of ways the main nodes, while harder, feel easier because your using your best three chars.

This is why I hate the essentials because you will notice the scaling and points are exactly the same across all 3 essentials yet, one you get to use a 4* and the other only a 2*.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,727 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you are having trouble then consider not selling any 2* until you have 13 covers in queue. Then you can at least have a 94 level 2* with some ISO cost. This has been my strategy, with no problems so far. Another 2 man team is IM40 and LCap...need yellow but can get through almost any node. Will take very little (no?)damage with goon nodes.
  • Nick441234
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Lol, yeah, sure.

He doesn't, cause both yours and mine are dead if I let a tommy gun go off.
    Use Jean / Switch like any sane person and ignore the 2* guy.

Dont have a usable Jean yet, so not an option sadly.
  • Nick441234
    bluewolf wrote:
    If you are having trouble then consider not selling any 2* until you have 13 covers in queue.

Surely the covers still expire though, right? Gain 13 covers in 14 days?
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    I people wants tipas to 2-man essentials, using 3* chars:

LCap is a very good choice, superb with IM40, great with Hood if not much aoe risk, KKhan if enemy does not burst.

IFist with LCage or SWitch

Patch with Loki or Hulk

For goons i used to team Punisher and Falcon.

Stepping into 4 land, IM40 with Thoress/Cyc/Iceman, IFist+HBIMan, JGrey + SWitch
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wolarsen wrote:

LCap is a very good choice, superb with IM40, great with Hood if not much aoe risk, KKhan if enemy does not burst.

Patch with Loki or Hulk

Stepping into 4 land, IM40 with Thoress/Cyc/Iceman, IFist+HBIMan, JGrey + SWitch

Running a champed pHX and 420 OML with 2* torch, and torch is still getting pwned on aoe attacks. What would you suggest? The only stunner I got who can stand up to the over scaled thugs is BSSM? everything else you suggested gets 2-shotted by the thugs
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf wrote:
    If you are having trouble then consider not selling any 2* until you have 13 covers in queue.

That's one cover per day. Doesn't sound unreasonable to me between PvP drops, PvE rewards and tokens. I max-champed my second Hawkeye the other day and just got the first cover for the third. Will keep an eye on how they drop in the coming fortnight.
  • Bowgentle
    Phumade wrote:
    Wolarsen wrote:

Patch with Loki or Hulk

Running a champed pHX and 420 OML with 2* torch, and torch is still getting pwned on aoe attacks. What would you suggest? The only stunner I got who can stand up to the over scaled thugs is BSSM? everything else you suggested gets 2-shotted by the thugs
    I run Jean switch over champed OML and 435 Phx.
    Just need to make sure you have enough purple to get rid of the tiles.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    the 3-muscle node nearly requires jean/switch. 3* players would have to go with cap-40 or cap-mnmags or something and that would almost guaranteed take to long to get rolling. threaten is a 3AP power. that is just so broken for what it is. that means they start turn 2 and you'll get a yellow cd every. single. turn. if you can't do something very fast, any resolve that results in a match kills you.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    bluewolf wrote:

Yup they sure do. So keep replenishing them with new covers in the queue and selling the soon to be expired ones. It's not that much work, if you have half the 2*s rostered already. If you have no 2* rostered (which is rare considering ddq requires 2*s), then you will have a really bad time.

Also if you know you will have the essential 2* for the next 2 pve events, I would start stockpiling the standard tokens so that covers don't expire. You can tell what the required 2* characters are by looking at the rewards for the next event to see what is awarded as the 2* reward in placement rewards to see the essential for the event after. Then in the same reward screen, you can check what essentials are required for the upcoming event.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm certainly getting less standard tokens (chances for 2*'s I guess) than I used to, since I am running the nodes 3-4 times for progression and not 7 times with the crazy scaling.

I still don't get PVE, where after 7 runs the "trival" nodes are ~level 75 for me, and the first run (sometimes trival, sometimes easy) of the next node goes to ~250. Where are the level 100 nodes? Why nothing in-between?
  • MrCroaker64
    MrCroaker64 Posts: 70 Match Maker
    TxMoose wrote:
    the 3-muscle node nearly requires jean/switch. 3* players would have to go with cap-40 or cap-mnmags or something and that would almost guaranteed take to long to get rolling. threaten is a 3AP power. that is just so broken for what it is. that means they start turn 2 and you'll get a yellow cd every. single. turn. if you can't do something very fast, any resolve that results in a match kills you.

I lucked into a combo that has been working well in the 2* HT Essential and the all Muscle goon nodes. I am running IM40 with Ant-Man. Requires a couple of early yellow matches, but once IM40 Recharge goes off you have enough to run Ant-Man blue. Than just steal the strike tiles that the Muscles are putting out. I have gotten to the point that after Small Time Crooks is out I try to NOT match the Muscle's yellow tiles so I can steal more strikes. In one round, I had a few purple Pym tiles out as well and was doing almost 5K damage a turn off them.

If you have a decent Ant-Man, you might give it a try.

Croaker.