does anyone else find themselves skipping some 1k rewards?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I kind of don't want to get some 1k covers now. For lower tier 4*s, or someone like prof x (who I won't champ) I am just as happy to not cover them right away. I will never have enough iso to level them, and having them covered just increases The odds of a useless LT pull.

Similarly, I have been sitting on some 182 3* champs because I can't get use their 4* covers.

Just another problem brought to you by 'absurd scarcity of iso at the 4* tier.' but at least I can enter a contest to win 100k. Thanks demi!

(Obviously, there is nothing bad about an extra cover to sell for iso, but this game take up a lot of time and I enjoy skipping an event here and there.)

Comments

• El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    No, but that's got nothing to do with the rewards at all. The 1300 prize is the only thing that's really eye-catching anymore. However my overall stress level regarding "progress" in this game fell off a cliff once I came to terms with the notion that missing prizes here and there doesn't mean anything once you have your top-tier characters all sorted out. It does have the ancillary effect of forcing you to play with only those characters all the time, but that's a whole other can of worms, isn't it?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2016
    El Satanno wrote:
    No, but that's got nothing to do with the rewards at all. The 1300 prize is the only thing that's really eye-catching anymore. However my overall stress level regarding "progress" in this game fell off a cliff once I came to terms with the notion that missing prizes here and there doesn't mean anything once you have your top-tier characters all sorted out. It does have the ancillary effect of forcing you to play with only those characters all the time, but that's a whole other can of worms, isn't it?

Yeah, I may be unusual in that I don't chase the 1300 prize. I don't belong to a PVP alliance any more; and when I do go for the 1k cover, I generally do it early and don't bother to protect any particular score. Occasionally after hitting 1k, I will try a few more matches and if I can get to 1200 or so without shielding, then I will start hopping for the 1300 prize. Otherwise, I don't spend the HP to shield hop at all. I agree that if I wanted that extra CP, I would happily swallow 'unwanted' 4* covers at 1k to get there.

It slows down my roster progress a fair bit, but it really helps me manage the amount of time i spend playing the game.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    I don't skip any, but I'm trying to keep a decent pvp season score for my alliance. With my roster I can generally get to 1k easily, but 1300 requires some shielding, and sometimes I will skip that in offseason depending on mood.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    I definitely skipped a few, whereas in previous seasons I would get upset if I missed any at all. But to echo El Satanno, I have a bunch of 4*s champed (I think I'm up to 11?) which includes most of the "top tier" ones, so the only things that really matter now are CP for 5* covers and ISO. I'll still hit 1k here and there for champ levels or to up my season score - and when I do, I then push to 1300 - but if it's for Fury or Prof. X I just don't bother going above 800 most of the time.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I generally want to hit 1300 for the CP, I am also working on making all my fourstars into Champions before moving to the 5* tier so it's rare to get a fourstar cover I have no use for.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Having never hit 1000 in PvP, I guess you can say I always skip it?

I'm not a try-hard by any stretch of the imagination. My typical day in MPQ takes less time than I spend writing about my game time on the forums. I feel like doing otherwise would make me start feeling way too bad about wasted time for a very unsatisfying experience (and anecdotally, that seems to be pretty nearly everyone's experience, eventually).

I have noted before that most competitive players aren't really doing themselves any favors by trying so hard to cover all their characters. The game is more fun when you're less invested, and it isn't like you can use any of those max-covered level 120s or whatever for anything anyway.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have noted before that most competitive players aren't really doing themselves any favors by trying so hard to cover all their characters. The game is more fun when you're less invested, and it isn't like you can use any of those max-covered level 120s or whatever for anything anyway.
    I don't know if I can be considered competitive since I rarely bother about placement, my level of engagement just means I tend to do well. I do love the concept of leveling everyone though - I recently maxed all my two-stars, and I really like not having to waste/sell any two-star covers. The rewards cascade quite nicely too. I'll keep up with my project at least until I have one fully covered fivestar, then I'll consider moving to fivestar land...
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2016
    I found myself just skipping the game in general. My 7 or 8 cover OML just sits there on an account that doesn't get used and I've no qualms with that. 1k was nothing. Was never anything for some time. 1.3k, mostly hit that whenever I played before I stopped. Now I'm like, where's my drive to even start up the game?
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Totally, more so since I got 4x4*s championed. I'll chase after the odd specific covers, but beyond that, Too much time required, or else I have to schedule in hops round work and other commitments. Too much iso required to bring them up if I get the covers, so where is the motivation to go chasing lacklustre characters?

Rather than pushing hard on pvp for those covers, I'm spending more time chasing iso in pve, and enjoying the balance more.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    I don't need most of them, so they end up as ISO (more ISO is desperately needed) but they're mostly just a bonus on the way to the 1300 reward to me.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I haven't missed 1K in-season in.....I dunno, maybe fifteen seasons? More?

Now it's about 50/50 that it's a pitiful 1,000 ISO (tossed cover), but like others mention - now it's also just a stepping stone to 1300.

And to D3, for all those saying "eh, why bother"....the 5CP at 1150 that was tried (and is often asked for) might really help people keep going!
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards

First off, once you get a few maxed 4*s it's not so hard to get covers. If you have both (or even 1) boosted 4*s you can hit 1300 with a single shield or even without a shield. Then shield out to preserve your score. Side effect, once 1300 is easy to hit then those covers flow in even faster from all the 1k covers and 25 CP. So no "trying hard".

Second, all those max covered lower level 4*s help you get thru 4* ddq way easier! This in turn gives you leg tokens which gets you 4* covers. It's also more fun to have a robust roster for pve even if a lot of characters in that robust roster are underleveled.

So yea, getting the first handful of champed 4*s is pretty difficult. Though, once you get there you'd be surprised how much easier the game gets after that.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    There has been a few occasions which I will skip the 1000 progression reward. In fact, for the recent Made Man pvp, I skipped it entirely and missed out on the nova cover, a Color which I can't use (and nova is not champed too).

The main reason why I skip it is real life commitments. I just didn't have the time to play that pvp... And since it was a cover which I didn't need, I figured I don't need to use my sleep toke to grind the 1000.

Disclosure: for most pvp I will generally hit 1.3k to get the CP.
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    I used to hit 1K whenever I wanted. Something has happened to my matchmaking and I can get to an equivalence point of about 700 then I get rocked.

So now I skip all 1K rewards because I can't get there. I burned though about 700 HP one event attempting to shield hop, didn't make it and got frustrated and haven't tried since.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I skip based on my schedule. I have a strong oml, so I can get to 1300 most times, but sometimes I either have stuff going on, or else I just don't feel like plunking down 1+ solid hour of my life at critical times (weds morning, fri and sun evenings) for the final push... so I'll probably be hitting the top rewards less and less.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I only have a couple of champed 4* so it's not always possible for me to hit 1k but even still there are times I skip it as well. You're laughing if you think I'm wasting hp on shields for a cho or IW cover.

This season is actually the most I've hit 1k (4 times) and that coincides with me having more 4* champs than I had before
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to skip 1k all the time some season's ago, I was going to 1k just for the 4s I needed (champed and not cover maxed), but then when my roster became strong enough to get to 1300 and everything changed.

Now I play all events to 1300 so I have to sell a lot of 4s. It is simply impossible to even max half of all my cover maxed 4s so the CPs are the real price.

Ps: I agree that a 1150 - 3000 iso or 5 CP price would be a really cool addition
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    there's only 2 scores I hit anymore, 500 or 1k.

1k only if I need the cover which I rarely do anymore.

LTs are way too disappointing most of the time for the trouble of 1300 pvp. And let's just forget about PVE, I swore off PVE almost a year ago, best decision I ever made.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Haven't hit 1000 in ages. Kinda gave up, really. I try to farm 4*s from accumulated CP in PvE and stuff these days. Or whatever 3* champ gives me.

Getting to the same problem though, keep getting 48s I've already got 13 covers for, or just the wrong colours for things I maxed ages ago (Jean Grey's green and purple were so easy to get. Her blue? Fugedabahdit.)

I find PvP to be so much harder these days. Well....easier since I switched to slice 3, but still not easy enough to hit 1000. I feel like not having a usable OML is holding me back. I'm forever catching up to the previous curve right as a new one develops.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    I just champed my first 4* (Hulkbuster) but I'm getting stomped all over by champed and boosted Thoress and Jean Grey. I haven't been able to get to 700 yet so if I skip 1000 this time it's not by choice. In the Bullseye PvP I was able to climb to 850 with barely anyone hitting me so I guess it's just a YMMV thing.