Call the Storm vs Embiggened Bash

Options
theorangemisfit
theorangemisfit Posts: 21
edited July 2016 in MPQ Character Discussion
Both are extremely similar, in their color, power, and build-up, but overall, ignoring specific circumstances, blah, blah, blah, which do you find to be the better move?

Call the Storm

POWER COST greentile.png 14
Thor summons a violent storm to smite the enemy. The rage of the heavens rains down on the battlefield, dealing 4518 damage to the target and 2259 to all other enemies.

vs

Embiggened Bash

POWER COST greentile.png 12
Ms. Marvel's embiggened fists of rage strike down her enemies! For justice! Deals 3390 damage to the enemy team.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Embiggened Bash does more damage and costs fewer AP. Call the Storm has its uses (e.g. when one opponent has a bunch of HP and the other two have lower HP), but Embiggened Bash is the overall better power.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like embiggened bash as it hits everyone equally which in my opinion is more useful.

Call of the storm is like the devs couldn't decide if they wanted to make it an aoe or a single target nuke and landed as an unuseful mix of both. Bash is also cheaper
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I prefer Embiggened Bash for various reasons:

It costs less, and does equal damage to all opponents.
    KK has a great passive of healing
    Her Purple as a feeder is easier to get going to feed her Green. 8 purpletile.png ap to make 7 green, vs 12 yellowtile.png ap to make 9 green.
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If they're in direct competition (i.e. in the same team), to me it depends on KK's build and on how badly I need the healing. If she has 5 yellow covers or I'm running low on health, I tend to go for Call the Storm.

Similarly, if she has 5 green covers or I don't need the healing, I tend to use Embiggened Bash. In my case I keep her purple at 5 and depending on the event I respec from yellow to green or vice-versa.

If I'm not using them together, I just feel like they're not often competing for a spot, mostly because I use Thor more often when he's boosted or when I need a good yellow active (which KK does not provide). KK is just a top tier char (a tier above Thor IMO) that will often be the backbone of a team instead of a filler (like Thor often is in my case).

EDIT: after posting I realized you asked to ignore specific circumstances. In this case I pick EB.
  • Cycocivic
    Cycocivic Posts: 19
    Options
    Embiggened bash most of the time. It cost less and deals out more total damage. I also use kk in a lot of my teams. When I team them up i will change lthor to a 5/5/3 build to up his red damage.
    Only time CotS is better is against aoe negater because it is not an aoe.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    CtS deals more single target damage. If there is only 1 event standing, then CtS is the better option. If there are 2 or 3 enemies standing, then Bash will deal more total damage.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    EB is the better AOE hands down, it's damage for the cost blew my mind on her release and very easy to get hit by it with her 8 cost green generation, it's like a slightly weaker RotP w/o the huge +5 AP for the enemy drawback.

However you gotta keep in mind that even though CtS is technically weaker than EB, it's on a character that does damage on everything plus generates his own AP for two of his moves compared to KK only having one damage power and rest utility.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    EB is the better power and KK is the better character because they she is faster (fast is a really big deal in this game).

But none of that means thor is bad. He's just a dinosaur that has been passed over by power creep. Great in his day and solid now; there's just almost always a better option.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm a Call the Storm fan.

Downing an opponent is always better, and CtS does that far more often than EB unless as a finisher.

Particularly now that I rarely see enemies with less than 10k health. 2 CtS with a boosted Thor will down someone, whereas 2EB just annoys them all.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    JVReal wrote:
    Her Purple as a feeder is easier to get going to feed her Green. 8 purpletile.png ap to make 7 green, vs 12 yellowtile.png ap to make 9 green.

Don't forget that with KK's Purple, you also get to place one of the green tiles, which usually leads to a Match-5, or at the very least, a Match-4.
    Her power synergy is just so much faster than Thor's I'd picker her & Embiggened Bash every time.

Terrible characters like Cho & Mr. Fantastic aside, KK and Thor really show how far along they've come in character design in a good way.
    They do deserve some credit for that.
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I choose call the storm because i love pairing up these 2 together. Using call the storm triggers group heal and damages the primary target a bit more. Then at the end embiggened bash as finisher.

I also found that thor and rulk pair well together. Rulk pink feeds thor's COTS. It doesnt work as well with Rulk and KK, because of the pink overlap.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    j0nats wrote:
    I choose call the storm because i love pairing up these 2 together. Using call the storm triggers group heal and damages the primary target a bit more. Then at the end embiggened bash as finisher.

I also found that thor and rulk pair well together. Rulk pink feeds thor's COTS. It doesnt work as well with Rulk and KK, because of the pink overlap.

Yeah, with Thor the 11 Yellow feeder to Green often takes too long, especially if you try the full Red to yellow to Green combo.
    As you suggest, Thor often works best by pairing him with a character that has much better Green AP generation than he does. Thor Yellow then just ends up being a semi-large single target damage skill, and not a vital part of getting to CotS.
    Hell, even 3 Star Iron Man could work in a pinch...
  • Berserk_Al
    Berserk_Al Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sniper Rifle. It must be hard hitting three people with a single bullet. Even with piercing rounds, this game has just too many bulletproof characters.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hmm
    Is Call the Storm treated like AOE when Colossus has his yellow on board?
    Does he switch to "catch" main portion of damage?
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Got to be Embiggened Bash for the reason that its easier to get off when combining Scarlet Witch. Call of Storm is too slow.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    JVReal wrote:

While her purple is cheaper, you shouldn't overlook the dmg that is also done by Thor's yellow in any evaluation.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I accidentally voted for COTS because I was thinking of 2* Storms move. Embiggened bash of course since it's cheaper and more efficient.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Does that bug still exist where rescue passives will cause the original target to take no damage at all?
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thor's yellow is one of the best yellow powers in 3* land (and, honestly, in 4* land). The damage that it does added to CTS makes them very close... but if we're just comparing the two green moves, EB wins.

It's worth noting that EB scales better, so it actually does more damage than CTS at higher levels.

In this PVP where they're both featured:

EB: 7337 to all = 23,211 total damage
    CTS: 9784/4893 = 19,570 total damage
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jobob wrote:
    Thor's yellow is one of the best yellow powers in 3* land (and, honestly, in 4* land). The damage that it does added to CTS makes them very close... but if we're just comparing the two green moves, EB wins.

It's worth noting that EB scales better, so it actually does more damage than CTS at higher levels.

In this PVP where they're both featured:

EB: 7337 to all = 23,211 total damage
    CTS: 9784/4893 = 19,570 total damage

The ratio of damage between them stays the same; all 3* powers scale at the rate. I have checked. They might not be the same if your ok and Thor are not boosted to the same level.