event report: R&G

OneLastGambit
OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
My whole approach to this event was to ask myself...do you have to grind?

DISCLAIMER: Slice had flipped once when I joined

With that in mind i decided that in would play sub optimally with no grinds and see where I landed in placement.

Here's the method:

1st sub: did 4 clears randomly spaced throughout a 6 hour period (very sub optimal) then the following day did 2 more clears of every node except jugs and his muscles (that node can eff itself) did not grind at end at all. DID NOT WAIT FOR FULL REFRESH
Sub placement : 11th
Overall placement: 11th

Notes: this was a very hard sub with the new scaling and really makes me dread venom bomb and gauntlet (previously gauntlet was one of my fave events) but 11th with sub optimal play and no grind is better than in the old system. Im putting that down to how hard the sub was.

Sub 2: did 4 clears randomly spaced over a 3 hour period. Following day did another full clear again randomly spaced, all nodes were fully refreshed when they were cleared. Following day did 2 more clears of every node (not fully refreshed) and no grind.
Sub placement: 12th
Overall placement: 9th

Notes: much easier and fairer sub and I actually rather enjoyed it though after clear 3 I could no longer experiment with under levelled but fully covered teams.

Sub 3: did 4 clears randomly spaced over 3-4 hours.
SUB STILL IN PROGRESS

Result: so far I have done no grinds at all. That is a marked improvement over previous system. Why I have had to do no grinds is a question that needs more examination. I'll be honest I came into this personal test expecting to finish t50 (instead of my usual t10) due to my methodology. It was very tempting when I saw how it was going to start grinding hard for t5 (something I didn't think was achievable before now) but I'm sticking to my guns and will continue the test and update the results when the event finishes.

Its a Ray of hope for those of us who thought our days of t10 were over (myself included)

Comments

• DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    I appreciate the analysis but I have to add one comment. This is very results-oriented, and it is based on one experience, of one person, in one bracket, in one event. Which is valid, but I don't think it is enough to draw any definite conclusions on future implications for placement rewards.

In any case, I don't even think it is useful to discuss which system is better anymore, anyway. The devs seem to have made their decision.
  • OneLastGambit
    DTStump wrote:
    I appreciate the analysis but I have to add one comment. This is very results-oriented, and it is based on one experience, of one person, in one bracket, in one event. Which is valid, but I don't think it is enough to draw any definite conclusions on future implications for placement rewards.

In any case, I don't even think it is useful to discuss which system is better anymore, anyway. The devs seem to have made their decision.

Very true on all counts. By that same rationale though nobody can post tactics for any events ever as it's always based on one person's experience in one event in one bracket.

My post was simply to point out that there is a way to place Well in the New system without grinding for 4 hours. Simply repeat what I did and you should (hopefully) get the same results. It is a pilot study so of course it is only applicable to the pilot.

I'll repeat the same tactics in the next 5 events (boss excluded ) and hopefully a pattern will emerge. If not we'll at least I will have discovered how not to play ha ha
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    similar play to yours got me ~30th-40th, which is ok. still t50, which is my goal. but I don't think 6/7 (or 7/7 on 2-day subs) is gonna get you nearly t10 very often.
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    I'm more worried about new releases, but I haven't been faring too poorly on this one. I'm not sure if others don't care much about the rewards, don't like the new system, or are taking a break. I could use a green or black Ghost Rider cover to cover max him, black ideally since that is his best ability, but I'm not sweating it either. I'll wait to see how crazy the next release is, since scoring will probably be tighter with this system.

Edit: With the new refresh times, I also had to switch from the second slice to the third, so that might affect some of what I'm seeing as far as competition.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Please prejoin S4 on a new release and report (if you want). I find that the more the shard flips, the easier placement is, shard 4 is the most competitive, and new release is of course chaos.

I like what you have so far, but I don't think it's enough. I almost want to say it doesn't count because you let the shard flip, and it's not a new release event. Historically, if you do the above and you're sub-optimal even just a little bit, t10 is toast so I think it would make a really good test. I would do this myself except these changes have killed my desire to be competitive in pve.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    TxMoose wrote:
    similar play to yours got me ~30th-40th, which is ok. still t50, which is my goal. but I don't think 6/7 (or 7/7 on 2-day subs) is gonna get you nearly t10 very often.
    Unless you're in a noob bracket. Which is entirely possible if one seldom has played for placement before.
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    hit progression just into sub 3. stopped. current rank 132. may farm some easy nodes for iso. dont care if i stay top 200.

gotta say hitting progression and out is fabulous under this system. thankfully i no longer care about 4*s number 39 to infinity so placements will never be a concern ever again.

overall i give it a thumbs up. i pity the fool going for top 10 or top 20 in a new character event.
  • Ulizeus
    Ulizeus Posts: 35
    Well, as someone already said this very self specific, for the next time you should write how much points you got per sub-e, do you have all req chars?, vet or newbies bracket, when did you start?, because really, it seems that your bracket is easier than mine for a lots of points if you just say "I placed top 10 easily".

For pregression it was already stated that you need 4 clears to get max, add that you can clear trivials more than 5 times and 1 hard node(only goons are a lot easier that others with mys or venom) and maybe 1 essential (but they were scaled somehow high for this new "test"), if you miss a req node you can try to get those points back clearing this way (I only miss xwdpm and missed the final part of sub 1, and Im at 10k points behind the max prog, like 80th place and sub2 will end in like 10 hours, hope to get better placement at least top50.

The problem like always will be the new releases, where all the people grind to hell (Im at day 230, and my rooster still misses a lot of chars) so you easily rank top 200, but top 100 will be a nightmare (I got 60th on peggys release icon_e_sad.gif ).

Also an open event is not a good way to test scalling and easy-hard analysis couse you can use whatever its in your rooster, switch chars as needed, etc.
    But well, how many heroics we had in the last 2 months????

Anyway, thx for the info on you event experience, hope you stay top 10 to get the 4* that I dont have icon_razz.gif. Gl all.
  • OneLastGambit
    Thanks for the responses guys.

Further info as requested...

Slice 1
    I have all required essentials (a champed thing has helped )

Points per sub? Sorry I don't know that but I'll record next time total points are...58,180 with 3 possible clears to go (4/7 cleared already on final sub)

I've placed t10 in 7 of last 10 pve and never tanked an event so unless noob brackets are random I'm pretty sure I'm vet.

And finally...

Ruinate I will make s4 my next test. It will force me to play even less optimal as most of this slice is during the night for me.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    69555331.jpg
  • LordXberk
    LordXberk Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Gambit, I appreciate your discussion of your experience and outcome, but as I stated in the other R&G post, so far I've played much more optimally (but not a grind past 7/7 on any node) and am sitting at ~48th overall and 110th in sub-2, which ends in 5.5hrs (slice 4). I also waited for 1 flip of the slice.

Either your bracket is pretty easy (even if it is a vet bracket, there are varying degrees of grindiness) or the difference between slices is more pronounced than I had imagined. I guess the lesson I've learned is to leave slice 4 and don't worry about playing as optimally and hope 7/7 clears will get t10 or t20.
  • OneLastGambit
    LordXberk wrote:
    Gambit, I appreciate your discussion of your experience and outcome, but as I stated in the other R&G post, so far I've played much more optimally (but not a grind past 7/7 on any node) and am sitting at ~48th overall and 110th in sub-2, which ends in 5.5hrs (slice 4). I also waited for 1 flip of the slice.

Either your bracket is pretty easy (even if it is a vet bracket, there are varying degrees of grindiness) or the difference between slices is more pronounced than I had imagined. I guess the lesson I've learned is to leave slice 4 and don't worry about playing as optimally and hope 7/7 clears will get t10 or t20.

I'm gonna take s4 In next non boss pve to test this as requested by Ruinate. I'll do everything exactly the same so hopefully can repeat what's happened here.

There will always be differences because placement isn't just about what I can do it's also about what the competition does, I can't control that though.

During all of the tests I placed t10 (perfect finish on that awful EoTS test) and each time I did it playing lazily and each time people said I was just lucky with brackets. While I'm not claiming to be a pve guru it surely can't be that I'm lucky 70% of time

Edit: I'm trying to establish a general rule and strategy for optimal lazy play in New pve. There are general guidelines in each game mode (shield hop, late climb etc) they don't work 100 % of the time but they work often enough to be useful as a general guide.
  • OneLastGambit
    Dear OP,

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ahem.

Unless you're in noob or intermediate brackets, or always playing s1 (I have been told it's less competitive, but only played it once due to timing, so I am not sure), you won't see those results often. Only in the least competitive events.

I am in s3, and cleared the first sub only 4x, squeezed 8.5 clears out of sub 2, and just started sub 3.

So, with more effort, I am ... 66th. nope, tick, now 67th.

TL;DR: It's MPQ PVE ... YMMV!

I do usually take s1 as it's the only one that really fits my available time but I've taken s5 a few times.

After I do s4 for Ruinate I'll try s3 as well
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    For extra reference, (unless it's there already and I'm blind) could you also include your total score in the events? That could also be helpful for comparisons sake.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    Lucky bastard.

I had to grind nodes to 1 point to get into t50.

Well I don't play in S1, so I'm not surprised...
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    No grinding, most nodes I hit just 4x (some just once) still have 38k which is more than enough for 25 cp. I've given up on placement it's not worth it. I like the changes.
  • Ulizeus
    Ulizeus Posts: 35
    Dunno if your final score is 58k+, just ended my sub2 grind, my total score is 327xx, duno if I will make like 15k for the last sub but Im ranked 6x wich is really high, got top 50 for the sub but seems that missing xwdp will left me far behind top50, unless a lot of people stop playing after geting max prog.

Will update in a couple of hours after my all 4 clears -_-

Edit: Ended with 17190 for the sub, and 50323 total after 2 hours grind for the beginning of last sub, dunno how I will end this, pretty tired with all those feeders.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    Thanks for the responses guys.

Further info as requested...

Slice 1
    I have all required essentials (a champed thing has helped )

Points per sub? Sorry I don't know that but I'll record next time total points are...58,180 with 3 possible clears to go (4/7 cleared already on final sub)

I've placed t10 in 7 of last 10 pve and never tanked an event so unless noob brackets are random I'm pretty sure I'm vet.

And finally...

Ruinate I will make s4 my next test. It will force me to play even less optimal as most of this slice is during the night for me.

No need to do that test. I followed your method almost precisely. Except I did full clears on sub 1 and some extra on the easy nodes for sub 2.

This is S4, second flip and I was 35th after sub 2 finished. My alliance mate won the 2nd sub. He had to be right on for timing and grind everything down to get there.

So very slice specific. I am sure you could do this in S1 with better results. Unfortunately for me, this change required me to switch slices. The start is 7pm in Asia and means leave work and don't interact with my family ever if I want to do well.

For reference, prior to this change I finished in the T10 in S1 the last 4-5 events. Don't think I will have the time to do so in the future. Not looking forward to a new release at all.

Cmon Enemy of the State system with progression only!!!!
  • h4n1s
    h4n1s Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    While I acknowledge the word from developers that there are some mechanics behind slices etc. I still have to acknowledge the fact, that I see significant RNG being the factor anyway.

One PVE I played (it was last week), I ended on 12th spot. I cleared all non-essential nodes only once, with exception of final node that I cleared as many times until I got the CP reward (usually max 4th clear), not waiting for refresh - before the new PVE format was introduced of course. I did played randomly, so I wasn't waiting for the last 15 minutes of the event. There, 3x 3* covers with very little effort.

R&G PVE however, I cleared all non-essential nodes 2-3 times so far, granting me interim spot of 435th, with quite considerable gap to top 10....

I am quite sure that same effort will not grant you same final standings, it all depends on the RNG factor that forms the slices...
  • Pessi
    Pessi Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    My Slice was a very different story.

Normally I wait 3/4 hours before joining a PVE, because it nets me a better shot at top 100 with less effort.

I played similarly to the OP on slice 1 and 2, missing the a lot of the grind at the end because of work commitments. Once sub 2 had closed I was in around 130th place - this is playing around the same amount as with the old PvE system. I achieved max progression at the end of Sub 2.

Sub 3 I easily cleared all nodes 4 times around 2 hours after the sub opened, netting me an overall position of 30th. (which was technically joint 2nd!)

Luckily this afternoon I have a few admin tasks so I can ignore those and grind the easy nodes to 1 and as much of the others as I can - I should get top 100.

It's a very different game now, much more health pack draining though if timed right you can have healthpacks back for a full grind in PvP. The max progression is a piece of cake to reach, I may even wait a day before joining the next one, or join in the last hour and snag the CP nodes.

Joining PvE is always luck for me, I've joined some with 900 played and scored a top 10 with sub optimal play(normally heroics) - however R&G is one of my favorites, and the optimal grind on the final sub is a killer.