VIP ended..what is the verdict?

2»

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lukewin:

If you buy VIP and pull a very good cover, does that mean you should buy VIP again?

Absolutely not! It might mean that you got a good return on your investment for the first VIP purchase, but it's completely irrational to factor good fortune into a future purchasing decision.

(and the same thing is true of you buy VIP and pull ****. That bad luck shouldn't affect your decision about re-upping VIP).
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    As a newer player, I liked it and plan to renew.
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    The only way I'd pay for VIP is if I got to pick a 5* cover. Otherwise, it looks like I'm paying for a measly increase in the various forms of currency with no discernable improvement.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    can't say i won't ever buy it again, but not going to be constantly on there.

they'd have to change a few things for that.
  • deadtaco
    deadtaco Posts: 409 Mover and Shaker
    I'm approaching 80 days played so I'm still new (VERY according to the poll on this forum). LTs+HP+Heriocs make it worthwhile to me for $10.
  • Vhailorx
    edited July 2016
    deadtaco wrote:
    I'm approaching 80 days played so I'm still new (VERY according to the poll on this forum). LTs+HP+Heriocs make it worthwhile to me for $10.

Have you opened your LTs deadtaco? Getting a 5* would be very useful for the match damage, but it could hurt scaling, and it's definitely more pressure on roster slots. What's your experience?
  • Azoic
    Azoic Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    I find i amusing that so many people even bought a month, and now analyzing what you got and if it was worth it? They posted exactly what you would get. No surpises here, folks.
  • Ungoliant
    Ungoliant Posts: 29
    I'm not planning on renewing VIP unless the benefits change to something better.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Azoic wrote:
    I find i amusing that so many people even bought a month, and now analyzing what you got and if it was worth it? They posted exactly what you would get. No surpises here, folks.

your right about the list. But until you actually go through the experience its hard to predict how it might change your game play or roster development.

As one of the few people who got the "priviledge" of experience VIP as both a one time delivery gift and a subscribtion model. The experience couldn't be more different.

As a 1 time pop, your probably buying when your close to maxing a char or buying a slot. In that sense, all the gifts can make a meaningful difference, especially with the 2* tokens feeding into a champion farm.

but as a subscripton reward, its terrible. The drip drip nature means alot of the gifts get lost in the background. It definitely lacks the feeling of a nice pop to your roster. The healing factor is really nice depending on where you are in the transtion. But for 5* players, the healing bosts really extend the usable play life.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Lukewin:

If you buy VIP and pull a very good cover, does that mean you should buy VIP again?

Absolutely not! It might mean that you got a good return on your investment for the first VIP purchase, but it's completely irrational to factor good fortune into a future purchasing decision.

(and the same thing is true of you buy VIP and pull ****. That bad luck shouldn't affect your decision about re-upping VIP).

Very glad I get to decide how to spend my money then, instead of listening to how others feel I should spend it. When good fortune happens in a system based on randomness, you appreciate that luck, timing, whatever it was, got you a favorable result.
  • insound0
    insound0 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    For some reason i felt that vip would change and get better over time.??!

Underwhelmed. Wont buy again.
  • deadtaco
    Vhailorx wrote:
    deadtaco wrote:

Have you opened your LTs deadtaco? Getting a 5* would be very useful for the match damage, but it could hurt scaling, and it's definitely more pressure on roster slots. What's your experience?

Funny you should ask! A week or so ago, days before this PVP season started, my child figured out how to spend my pool of CPs and I ended up with icon_jeangrey.pngredflag.png

This completely ruined PVE for me but opened up PVP. I ended up getting my first heroic 10 pack prior to the Bullsye versus event, so I have kind of slacked off PVP just before this new event. I had finally settled with myself to sell it so I could get back to PVE. But they said they were 'fixing' the scaling. So I wanted to try it out.

With 18 hours to go I am ranked 10th in my slice and have stopped only because I ran out of health packs. I don't use Jean for the first 4 clears as I fear it would make them scale further (may not be true, but I don't know). I just happen to have all 3 essentials and found a good combo to get through the goons (KK, OBW & 2*Thor/Ares)

And then today as I renewed VIP, I pulled an OML blacktile.png

I shouldn't have opened the token, but with 1 5* already, I figured why not. Since I am already in the last sub for Meet R&G, it won't affect anything. I'll see what happens to PVE after this.
  • Vhailorx
    Deadtaco:

You pulled an oml from a VIP legendary token? I didn't think that was possible. Is this confirmed?

As for 5*s and scaling, I am curious to see how much the new system helps or hurts 2* + 1-cover-5* rosters. How much are you playing this new pve? A full 7 clears for each node? How is the essential node scaling for you?
  • deadtaco
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Deadtaco:

You pulled an oml from a VIP legendary token? I didn't think that was possible. Is this confirmed?

As for 5*s and scaling, I am curious to see how much the new system helps or hurts 2* + 1-cover-5* rosters. How much are you playing this new pve? A full 7 clears for each node? How is the essential node scaling for you?

Wow, I went and looked and you are right OML should not have come from the VIP pull. Maybe I am confused, but I know I cashed it in this afternoon after I renewed. I only have 10 CP now, so I didn't spend those...

As far as this sub, when I started it this morning, I only had one 5*. The only essential I have cleared 4 times in this sub is IM40 (I ran out of health packs before). The other subs I cleared every node 5 times at least.

IM40 essential is at 162.

I'll try to complete more and update with where the rest end up. I'm trying not to use my 5*'s as I fear it will cause scaling to increase more than if I don't. Anyone ever confirm if that is true?

As I type this I am sitting in 14th place overall with a score of 48033 with ~13 hours to go.
  • Vhailorx
    Deadtaco:

Did you join before adding any 5*s to your roster?

I think the way scaling works is that it locks in when you join an event (that's the way it used to work). So if you join with a 2* roster and then add a 5*, you will get 2* scaling for the whole event.

See if your scaling goes up noticeably in your next pve event. Though your earlier post implies that that you rostered Phoenix a week ago, in which case you can prob a my expect your current scaling to continue. Alas, no one can confirm much of anything re: scaling. Demi doesn't comment much on how it works.

Also, colour me jealous of your 162 essentials. Mine are 300-320. Not a problem this week when xpool and im40 are super strong. But it will be a real pain when none of my 4* champs are boosted.
  • deadtaco
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Deadtaco:

I think the way scaling works is that it locks in when you join an event (that's the way it used to work). So if you join with a 2* roster and then add a 5*, you will get 2* scaling for the whole event.

See if your scaling goes up noticeably in your next pve event. Though your earlier post implies that that you rostered Phoenix a week ago, in which case you can prob a my expect your current scaling to continue. Alas, no one can confirm much of anything re: scaling. Demi doesn't comment much on how it works.

Also, colour me jealous of your 162 essentials. Mine are 300-320. Not a problem this week when xpool and im40 are super strong. But it will be a real pain when none of my 4* champs are boosted.

I had Phoenix prior to this event, prior to a few events ago actually. It killed PVE for me under the old system. This PVE was much easier to play, because of new scaling, or just a fluke, or maybe because I did so poorly in the previous couple. It's not a newbie slice though, the top players here have fully covered OMLs or other 5*'s.

Just because I said I'd update - the Deadpool node went up to 172, which was challenging but not impossible for me.
  • djeternal
    djeternal Posts: 28
    deadtaco wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Deadtaco:

I had Phoenix prior to this event, prior to a few events ago actually. It killed PVE for me under the old system. This PVE was much easier to play, because of new scaling, or just a fluke, or maybe because I did so poorly in the previous couple. It's not a newbie slice though, the top players here have fully covered OMLs or other 5*'s.

Just because I said I'd update - the Deadpool node went up to 172, which was challenging but not impossible for me.

Seriously? I'm a 2* player and just hit day 104. My max on the XPool node is 184. I have 0 5* as I've been hoarding all CP (331) and LTs (3). My top 3 champed 2* are Cap (131), Storm (130), & Thor/Wolverine (126). This scaling has me completely confused. Based on that info it almost makes me tempted to open my hoard seeing as it may not affect my scaling much. It also may allow me to actually do something in PVP other than jump in a slice with 15 min left to snipe covers.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    djeternal wrote:
    Seriously? I'm a 2* player and just hit day 104. My max on the XPool node is 184. I have 0 5* as I've been hoarding all CP (331) and LTs (3). My top 3 champed 2* are Cap (131), Storm (130), & Thor/Wolverine (126). This scaling has me completely confused. Based on that info it almost makes me tempted to open my hoard seeing as it may not affect my scaling much. It also may allow me to actually do something in PVP other than jump in a slice with 15 min left to snipe covers.

Since it's so early into this new form of PVE/scaling, I would suggest to keep hoarding that CP. Wait for a few more PVE events and some more data so you can make a more sure decision
  • djeternal
    djeternal Posts: 28
    cyineedsn wrote:
    djeternal wrote:

Since it's so early into this new form of PVE/scaling, I would suggest to keep hoarding that CP. Wait for a few more PVE events and some more data so you can make a more sure decision

Yeah it's tempting; but, I'll hold off for awhile still to make sure they don't change things again.