About Gold Thor, and where it could be headed...

Options
It seems to me that there's a possibility of all characters getting 4 versions this way.

1* - Bronze
2* - Silver
3* - Gold
4* - Platinum

You like Modern Storm but she's too weak capped at lvl50? Then how about Platinum Modern Storm, level cap 230. Could this be the way they're taking this? It would be a quick and fairly interesting way of making the pool of available characters much bigger, without compromising on roster space because there would be no reason to keep lower versions (what use is a lvl85 2* Thor when you have a lvl141 3* Thor?). It would also make required characters for events more accessible for newer players. This mission requires Punisher? Well I only have a Bronze Punisher, but at least I can play!

I'm interested in what people think about this. Do you think this is particularly likely, and do you think it's a good/bad idea. Would be great for IceIX to weigh in on this one too!

Comments

• TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I would like it, except I'm afraid versions are different characters after all. icon_e_sad.gif

Gold Thor has only been unlocked a day, and we already have an event where he's buffed and old Thor isn't even available to play.

Only time will tell if there's at least a degree of parity (or back-and-forth) or Marvel Now! Thor is out of buffed/required matches from now on and Modern Thor has taken his place - I do hope not.
  • I don't like it. I liked the previous fact that every character was different. When you advanced, your constantly learning new characters. It kept the game fresh. I'm trying to collect all the characters but I've lost that urge with the introduction of 3* Thor.
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't like it. I liked the pebbles fact that every character was different so when you advanced, your constantly learning new characters. It kept the game fresh. I'm trying to collect all the characters but I've lost that urge with the introduction of 3* Thor.

Not a fan either.

Unless they allow higher level versions to "absorb", in some way, the lower level version.

Having two Thors with exactly the same skill set just seems dumb, otherwise.
  • There is not a single good thing about Gold Thor, or where it could be headed.
  • It would be a quick and fairly interesting way of making the pool of available characters much bigger, without compromising on roster space because there would be no reason to keep lower versions (what use is a lvl85 2* Thor when you have a lvl141 3* Thor?).

I disagree. Am I going to throw away my lvl 85 full cover Thor 2* for my current lvl 18 two cover lazythor? He'll no. So I need two roster slots for1 character. Introduce a platinum 4* version and it will get even worse - I'll have one cover for about three months, and will need another roster slot to hold it.

It is teh suck.
  • abuelo wrote:
    There is not a single good thing about Gold Thor, or where it could be headed.
    He does more damage than 2* Thor even at a similar level (unlike most other 3* characters which need to be roughly ~100 to be equal). Hate to think what he will be at level 141.
    Looking at Jachdo's Thor(Modern) his yellow ability does 1448 damage with 5 points in the skill at level 88 compared to 2* Thor's 723 damage at level 85.
  • Boo to all recurring character covers. I want more distinct characters, not versions of ones we already have!
  • abuelo wrote:
    There is not a single good thing about Gold Thor, or where it could be headed.

When Lazy Thor was introduced as the Hulk reward, it was apparent that there was never going to be a legitimate reason for differentiating the two characters, and it was going to be insulting when they ever did it. As it turns out, true to form, it took about 8 hours for them to differentiate the two heroes. I haven't heard that they have any "ESSENTIAL" nodes in the Jugg PVE that requires L.Thor, but that would be even worse.

for disclosure, I top 3333'ed Hulk (without BP, no less, which was a constant slog, but I walked away with abundant ISO and HP) and I have a 0/1/1 L.Thor, and I think differentiating MN.Thor and L.Thor is inexcusable.
  • allorin wrote:
    It would be a quick and fairly interesting way of making the pool of available characters much bigger, without compromising on roster space because there would be no reason to keep lower versions (what use is a lvl85 2* Thor when you have a lvl141 3* Thor?).

I disagree. Am I going to throw away my lvl 85 full cover Thor 2* for my current lvl 18 two cover lazythor? He'll no. So I need two roster slots for1 character. Introduce a platinum 4* version and it will get even worse - I'll have one cover for about three months, and will need another roster slot to hold it.

It is teh suck.

I meant in the long run. Once your 3* Thor is more powerful than your lvl85 2* Thor, what point is there in keeping the latter?
  • SirKopath wrote:
    Boo to all recurring character covers. I want more distinct characters, not versions of ones we already have!

There's no reason why doing this would mean less characters...
  • I meant in the long run. Once your 3* Thor is more powerful than your lvl85 2* Thor, what point is there in keeping the latter?

Events that only allow the 2*. Same type of decision as keeping certain 1*s for only that purpose.
  • I meant in the long run. Once your 3* Thor is more powerful than your lvl85 2* Thor, what point is there in keeping the latter?

Events that only allow the 2*. Same type of decision as keeping certain 1*s for only that purpose.

Also that Is a redundant point, as I still have to have the two roster slots to get to that point. So at the end I can sell Thor 2* potentially, but then I've still had to fork out the HP for the roster slot in the first place. Multiply that by all the 2* covers....
  • Resurrecting this thread in light of Lazy Cap. I'd love to get some feedback from IceIX on this. Is this the future of MPQ?
  • could be just affecting collectors, I know I'm dumping most of the 1 stars if it ever comes down to space.
    heck daken, moonstone,etc etc would get dumped eventually as well.
    Just play the characters you like/leveled high and que sera sera. icon_mrgreen.gif
    The devs gotta eat too, this is one way they're encouraging spending while satisfying fans of those characters without pulling away from developing event content or new guys.
    Think of them as a snack, altho it'll probly go horribly wrong eventually.
    Can't wait to hear all the T_T of people sporting lvl 230 m. storms or juggs in PVP. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • uuddlrlr
    uuddlrlr Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options
    It's a lot more likely than my theory of Gold meaning "only obtainable from events".

I'm not liking the idea of 16 Wolvies and 16 Black Widows (4 chars x 4 tiers) , but we probably won't get there (at least I hope not!).
  • I might not be that much against this if slots didn't cost that much, and if it didn't look like a simple & uninteresting way to make players pay.
  • Hated the intro of Lazy Thor, hated it when the Heroic boosted Lazy Thor but not regular Thor (also- that's the second Heroic in a row where the only boosted character was a new one few people would have, let alone have enough covers to level him at all), still hating it with the introduction of Lazy Cap. Two roster slots for the same guy, and they'll make both of them "required" for different events. I have a Lazy Thor cover but I'm not putting any iso into him or chasing covers and he's the first guy sold if I decide I want a cover slot without paying more HP for it. I'm hardly playing MPQ right now because I have no interest in chasing covers for the "Gold" characters or playing events where they're required. At least if the 2* versions of these characters could also be used and also boosted in any event where the "Gold" version was boosted it wouldn't be so bad, the Gold characters would be a luxury for those who cared.