New Updates To Powered-Up Levels *Updated (07/14/16)

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    These buffs will fit in very nicely with the removal of health packs from the vault icon_rolleyes.gif
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    udonomefoo wrote:
    But...........why?

Seriously. Max levels increased between 4-24 levels. This is either a setup for something else, or you guys are just really bad at designing and prioritizing projects. I can't think of any reason why this matters at all, can someone help me?

Why? Simple. Devs are not succeeding in stopping bakers & cupcakes in pvp; perhaps they feel too much of the player base is reaching 1300 without spending enough $$$ on shielding/boosts. The raise in the level so single cover characters will offer a (slight) impact by making players spend longer playing matches, and perhaps get hit more frequently.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Forgive me, but these buffs look downright puny. Somewhere in the range of 4-5%, sometimes even less. 3* get 4 levels when featured in-story (260->264)? That's not even 2%. Or 7 levels if they're max-champed (hah!) in PVP (405->412)? Again, that's not even 2%.

I utterly fail to see the point. Or maybe that is the point; it's just a 'tinkering at the margins' sort of move and it's not intended to make any significant difference. In which case, why bother?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    How are the extra boost levels distributed over the full boost range? Are lower level characters buffed to a higher base level (for lack of a better term), or are maxed characters just buffed even higher than they were before?
    Without knowing, it's hard to evaluate this change.

But at first glance this looks like exactly what the game did not need. 4* champs didn't need more power when buffed, especially not relative to 3*s. The 4*-5* gap is still a problem. But this won't solve it. . .
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Maybe, just maybe these levels are enough to open up MMR a bit?

I hope. God, I hope.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2016
    I can tell you why they are doing this change, but many of you wont like it.
    This clearly does not help the majority of the player base.
    They are doing this the same reason why they raised the level of the featured character before.
    This is based on the assumption that the featured character level will go up, and the original post is an editing mistake.
    This is done to make hitting the CC teams a little harder.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Looks like a nice tweak to relative 5* power. I'm glad they're trying a small change instead of a huge one that would go too far.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Where is this coming from? Will it make the player experience better, or will it make scaling and mmr worse?

I wish that we had more advance notice of all upcoming changes, so that we'd at least be aware of it and could voice opinions and ask questions before the changes were completed, instead of now where it's too late to make further changes.

And I would totally understand that any upcoming updates would be subject to change or cancellation.
  • __Adam
    __Adam Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    For PvE won't this just scale up the matchmaking? So it effectively nerfs 3* compared to 4* and makes the unboosted characters that much less viable in an event?

So it's basically an incentive for 3* players to transition to 4*? (Cuz better rewards is unpossible)
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    whitecat31 wrote:
    I can tell you why they are doing this change, but many of you wont like it.
    This clearly does not help the majority of the player base.
    They are doing this the same reason why they raised the level of the featured character before.
    This is done to make hitting the CC teams a little harder.

Not really. 2* and 1* are unaffected. Loaner/MsMarvel/MBW will still be 145/15/1. Hifi is wrong because featured pvp 3* has been 145 for a very long time. Not 134 (Hi D3, do you even play?).

You might see a slight change in a nasty steak that's stronger than my A team, but if you're already a steak eater, I'd bet you can handle a slightly bigger steak just fine.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    puppychow wrote:

Why? Simple. Devs are not succeeding in stopping bakers & cupcakes in pvp; perhaps they feel too much of the player base is reaching 1300 without spending enough $$$ on shielding/boosts. The raise in the level so single cover characters will offer a (slight) impact by making players spend longer playing matches, and perhaps get hit more frequently.

How does this stop cupcaking? If anything this incentivizes it even more.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    didn't they reduce the loaner level by 5 levels for the 4* releases. it says 160 minimum, which is 5 lower than the 165 that it had been for a while. 3* loaners remain 145. 3* baking is unchanged and 4* baking got easier to eat. if i''m seeing it right.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    I think it has something to do with player participation. Seems like everybody has their three toon team for each scenario and they might be realizing or seeing a drop in players giving a **** about new characters. Maybe they are trying to get us to use more characters instead of seeing the vast majority of them as irrelevant. When coupled with the changes to health packs in DDQ maybe they are trying to get us to go harder in PvE and buy more health packs while doing it. I know I've had absolutely no problem with placement even in the Peggy event. People are not going as hard as they used to.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    snlf25 wrote:
    I think it has something to do with player participation. Seems like everybody has their three toon team for each scenario and they might be realizing or seeing a drop in players giving a **** about new characters. Maybe they are trying to get us to use more characters instead of seeing the vast majority of them as irrelevant. When coupled with the changes to health packs in DDQ maybe they are trying to get us to go harder in PvE and buy more health packs while doing it. I know I've had absolutely no problem with placement even in the Peggy event. People are not going as hard as they used to.

I think people are going harder. I remember how easy it was to hit 1000 or 800. Now, it is so hard to do this without shields. I can lose liek 300-400 points overnight without shielding. I used to only lose up to 150 points. My roster hasn't changed much since.
  • D3P2K5
    D3P2K5 Posts: 32 Just Dropped In
    I have sneaking suspicion that this change is to supposed to make more teams visible to the 5* MMR.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    D3P2K5 wrote:
    I have sneaking suspicion that this change is to supposed to make more teams visible to the 5* MMR.

That's my guess as well. There's been a few people here who have said that once they leveled a 5* high enough, they see almost nothing but 5*s in PvP. This is being done to break up only fighting teams of OML/other 5*/featured for them. I have no doubt a 5* team can still roll a buffed 4* team easily. So to be cynical, this is being disguised as a buff, but it just means more hits from 5* level teams and longer matches and more damage for everyone.

And to put it more cynically, it seems to be saying "Please don't get bored and leave, whales! Here are more targets for you!"
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    dsds wrote:
    snlf25 wrote:

I think people are going harder. I remember how easy it was to hit 1000 or 800. Now, it is so hard to do this without shields. I can lose liek 300-400 points overnight without shielding. I used to only lose up to 150 points. My roster hasn't changed much since.

I'm talking about PvE only, the most universally despised part of the game.
  • reb1rth
    reb1rth Posts: 4
    am I the only one who gets fed up reading the hundreds of great ideas our players post here on a daily bases only to have **** like this be the update. I have read dozens of brilliant posts about game improvements from whales and rookies a like. It is down right unbearable to have no response to these ideas and the only changes being some tick tack idea that may or may not effect the 1%. With the rise of Future Fight, Pokemon, and the lasting impact of clash of clans, game of war, ect... it is terrible the lack of progress this game with a brilliant idea has made. It reminds me of the first time I saw idiocracy... Great idea, no follow through.
  • tchipley
    tchipley Posts: 63 Match Maker
    What is MMR?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    snlf25 wrote:
    I think it has something to do with player participation. Seems like everybody has their three toon team for each scenario and they might be realizing or seeing a drop in players giving a **** about new characters. Maybe they are trying to get us to use more characters instead of seeing the vast majority of them as irrelevant.
    No one's going to stop using OML/PHX because their 4*s now have 15 more levels.

Unless they nerf the hell out of 5*s, the only way to get people to start using their 4*s again is to ADD 4*-only CONTENT TO THE DAMN GAME.