Odds of not having a bad time on a legendary token?

2»

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    You lost me at Kingpin.

Look, she covers a niche no one else does. She's worth having for that alone. How many threads do we have **** about how unfair Caltrops are? She's a 100% nerf to those.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    You lost me at Kingpin.

Look, she covers a niche no one else does. She's worth having for that alone. How many threads do we have **** about how unfair Caltrops are? She's a 100% nerf to those.
    Plus apparently there are 8 more that are equal to or slightly better than her?
  • simonsez wrote:
    You lost me at Kingpin.

I will not tolerate disrespect towards Kingpin in this thread.

Who really complains about caltrops anymore? Enema of the state is the only time it's an issue, people have moved on to symbiote complaining, maybe if she was introduced earlier than she would matter anymore, but at this point, who really cares?

I can't see any argument that Moon Knight, Thing, Deadpool, Ghostrider, Fury, Wolverine, Howard, Gwen, and Nova are as inferior to Quake as Hulkbuster and Jean are superior to her.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    You lost me at Kingpin.

Who really complains about caltrops anymore? Enema of the state is the only time it's an issue, people have moved on to symbiote complaining, maybe if she was introduced earlier than she would matter anymore, but at this point, who really cares?

I can't see any argument that Moon Knight, Thing, Deadpool, Ghostrider, Fury, Wolverine, Howard, Gwen, and Nova are as inferior to Quake as Hulkbuster and Jean are superior to her.

I have a Champed quake, and as far as PVE goes, she is better than HB, and on par with Jean (situationally of course). She's easily greater than Thing, GR, Fury, XFW, Howard, and Gwen. MK is only in the convo because he deals extreme damage. DP is top tier. Jury's out on Nova, but he seems more in the DP/Quake group than he does the Fury/Thing group.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    27 covers that I'd sell out of 99, so a 72.7% chance of having a good time on any given legendary pull.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    I use Quake more than any other 4*. I changed all my leveling plans to champ her a few weeks ago. She is absolutely top tier.

My best character is Phoenix at 454, so Teen Jean gets very little play from me. The best and most direct replacement? Quake - hands down. Both have good AoE damage. Both can easily eliminate a lot of CD tiles. Both offer defensive benefits. She plays so well with 5*s because of her ability to shake the board without inadvertently eliminating friendly tiles.

I'd put her on par with Peggy - not quite Top 5, but up there in the 6-8 range.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meander wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    You lost me at Kingpin.

I have a Champed quake, and as far as PVE goes, she is better than HB, and on par with Jean (situationally of course). She's easily greater than Thing, GR, Fury, XFW, Howard, and Gwen. MK is only in the convo because he deals extreme damage. DP is top tier. Jury's out on Nova, but he seems more in the DP/Quake group than he does the Fury/Thing group.
    Nova is awesome, fast and fun to play. Makes a good rainbow team with Iceman too.
    I really wish I had more covers for Quake and Punisher...
    And Yeah, Deadpool is a crucial fourstar too.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    Dude. Don't trash Quake. Why.
    2) Are they in the top 25% of 4 stars?
    But, she is...

No. There are 33 4 stars, meaning she would have to be the 9th best. She certainly is not

Hulkbuster
    Jean Grey
    Iceman
    Cyclops
    Peggy Carter
    Punisher
    Red Hulk
    Kingpin
    Thor

Are unarguably better. Then there are about 8 more characters that I can think of that are either equal or slightly superior to her. If you like her, fine, use her all you want. But I'll pass.

Dude, I dunno if you mean to, but you're coming off as kind of hostile when everyone's just trying to help you out by letting you know you've written off a great, useful character.

Additionally, I would quibble with two of your choices. I think Kingpin is generally underrated, but he depends on countdowns for good damage and his own CDs are expensive, albeit manageable due to his self-acceleration. Jane Foster Thor is only considered top tier now because of how well she pairs with IM40. Without him, her abilities are too slow to be any better than "eh."

I'm not honestly sure about Big Pun. I've heard he is stellar but mine isn't leveled so I can't confirm/deny.

Quake, as others have said, negates AOEs which is unique to her, at least so far. This makes the worst goon abilities (Caltrops, Tommy Gun, Flamethrower, Rocket) irrelevant so she's automatically a must have just for that.

Targeted color elimination is also incredible. Old Man Logan dropped his black? Boom, target black, gone. Squirrel Girl threw out those widely-underestimated countdowns? Pow, gone. Pair her with X-Force Deadpool for total mayhem. And that's not even mentioning the obvious AP denial utility.

Her green is probably her "blandest" power and that is also freaking great.

I'm not tryna tell you how to play your game, but not rostering her really seems like shooting yourself in the foot for no reason.
  • Dude, I dunno if you mean to, but you're coming off as kind of hostile when everyone's just trying to help you out by letting you know you've written off a great, useful character.

Additionally, I would quibble with two of your choices. I think Kingpin is generally underrated, but he depends on countdowns for good damage and his own CDs are expensive, albeit manageable due to his self-acceleration. Jane Foster Thor is only considered top tier now because of how well she pairs with IM40. Without him, her abilities are too slow to be any better than "eh."

I'm not honestly sure about Big Pun. I've heard he is stellar but mine isn't leveled so I can't confirm/deny.

Quake, as others have said, negates AOEs which is unique to her, at least so far. This makes the worst goon abilities (Caltrops, Tommy Gun, Flamethrower, Rocket) irrelevant so she's automatically a must have just for that.

Targeted color elimination is also incredible. Old Man Logan dropped his black? Boom, target black, gone. Squirrel Girl threw out those widely-underestimated countdowns? Pow, gone. Pair her with X-Force Deadpool for total mayhem. And that's not even mentioning the obvious AP denial utility.

Her green is probably her "blandest" power and that is also freaking great.

I'm not tryna tell you how to play your game, but not rostering her really seems like shooting yourself in the foot for no reason.

Well you have to admit it's kind of annoying when people get up your butt about glorifying a character and insulting your decision not to use them when you

a) never asked for help on rostering or character info

b) realize it has basically nothing to do with your topic

Like I said, love her all you want, and use her all you want, but personally I have bigger priorities to focus on than another 4 star I'm most likely never going to be able to find covers for anyway...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well you have to admit it's kind of annoying when people get up your butt about glorifying a character and insulting your decision not to use them when you

a) never asked for help on rostering or character info

b) realize it has basically nothing to do with your topic

Like I said, love her all you want, and use her all you want, but personally I have bigger priorities to focus on than another 4 star I'm most likely never going to be able to find covers for anyway...
    I think the general Point you were trying ("Only top characters are Worth rostering") is on-topic, though I agree the discussion about whether Quake specifically is a top character has Little to do with the topic. The champion rewards for 4* characters is quite nice, so the more covers you can apply the more you get in return. And the Worth of some characters is not immediately obvious - as an example, I Believe Red Hulk got a big "meh" from the general audience when he was first previewed, it wasn't until people had a chance to try him out that they realized just how good he was. I think Quake falls in that same category. If you happen to run into her in SHIELD simulator (it happens, though so far it is still rare), do take the time to fight her and see how she plays. Her passive when maxed pretty much neutralizes Jean Grey and Rulk, so it's quite nice.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jarvind wrote:
    But, she is...

No. There are 33 4 stars, meaning she would have to be the 9th best. She certainly is not

Hulkbuster
    Jean Grey
    Iceman
    Cyclops
    Peggy Carter
    Punisher
    Red Hulk
    Kingpin
    Thor

Are unarguably better. Then there are about 8 more characters that I can think of that are either equal or slightly superior to her. If you like her, fine, use her all you want. But I'll pass.

Quake beats rulk, hb, kp in my opinion.

HB needs fist to be effective
    Rulk is nullified by quake
    KP is actually pretty good but quake can remove all his big tiles in one go.
    Thor is borderline though without im40 she is awful.
    I'm not a fan of JG either and quake wins that fight hands down as JG is pathetically ineffective against her.

Agree on cyke , Peggy and iceman though.

The original discussion of "top characters are only worth rostering" means that the ensuing discussion about quake is actually on topic since what constitutes 'top character' is a matter of subjective opinion (of which you are completely entitled to)
    And that will vary from person to person.

I think it's fair to say that this thread has reached an impasse on the idea of quakes usefulness.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Hmm... Hadn't thought of it this way.

For 5*s, looking at classics, I have two championed, and two colors maxed of one more (I haven't gotten an OML red this calendar year). Spidey needs a lot still. 2.5% chance of seriously pissing me off, I guess. Looking at recents, I have only one color (Goblin purple) maxed, so 1.66% chance of serious ire.

I have 13 championed 4*s, so fine with any of them. I have fourteen more optimally covered, the highest of whom is level 171. So that's forty-two covers that I'll be less than thrilled with. I only have two who are fully, but not optimally, covered. So that's only two more covers I'd be happy to get. And then there are four more who are less than fully covered; of those, only Kate black and Winter Soldier red are 5s. So that's ten more I'd be happy to get. I guess that's 51/99 with which I'd be happy. Not great odds.

This also goes some way to show how bad the ISO crunch is. I'm looking at almost six months to champion all of the 4*s, assuming I do nothing else (unlikely) and that I can keep earning ISO at the rate I've been getting it for the past several months (definitely not happening; my rate is going to drop off a cliff at some point in the next few weeks).
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to make these calculations but I stopped because it was very depressing for me having an 81% chance of opening "good stuff" and yet failing it draw after draw. It's better now, thankfully.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Prof X purple is literally my only max-covered color in 4* land.

That is the only thing I could pull which I cannot, in theory, use. There are a few 4* I don't have rostered at this time, but there is no 4* cover besides Blind Spot which I can't drop a cover into.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Jarvind wrote:
    Jarvind wrote:

She totally is. Blocks AOE damage, can easily eliminate special tiles with her blue, and an AOE that does a complete board shuffle. She's awesome.

Yeah; I'm not sure exactly where I'd slot her in (no higher than fifth, I'm sure), but I'm comfortable saying she's top-8.