So new 3 Stars are going to be updated anymore?

Selvokaz
Selvokaz Posts: 82 Match Maker
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Unless im mistaken the 3 star category is still the largest selection of characters in the game and given the span of time before we reached this final set number of them, the ideal power of those characters has changed.

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    3s are the new 2s, but the devs refuse to acknowledge this. In two to three months time they will be the minority and the game needs to readjust accordingly.
  • BigRussian
    BigRussian Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    While i'd love to see them go back and update some of the older 3*'s, it is highly doubtful they'll spend much time on them. I'm sure most would agree there are now a handful (or more!) of 4*s that need some love too.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Honestly, I think the 3* tier is fine. You have top tier, middle tier, and bottom tier. I don't think there are any "trash tier" 3*'s anymore. Trash tiers are those that were just useless or only slightly better than the 2* tier. Every 3* has its use, even if its niche or outside of the meta.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Psylocke and Punisher still desperately need an increase in ability damage. They're not tough enough to headline a team, but the secondary effects of their abilities are too weak or expensive to make them effective support characters. Psylocke is basically outclassed in every way by Gamora, and Punisher by Blade.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    CNash wrote:
    Psylocke and Punisher still desperately need an increase in ability damage. They're not tough enough to headline a team, but the secondary effects of their abilities are too weak or expensive to make them effective support characters. Psylocke is basically outclassed in every way by Gamora, and Punisher by Blade.

Psylocke I'm not sure about, but if you're doing anything but using 3* Punisher Red you're doing it wrong. His attacks and strikes are poor. Instant death? THAT'S his niche.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    The Herald wrote:
    CNash wrote:

Psylocke I'm not sure about, but if you're doing anything but using 3* Punisher Red you're doing it wrong. His attacks and strikes are poor. Instant death? THAT'S his niche.

Yeah definitely Punisher is super vs high hp enemies since no matter what that 40% is, even 10,000, he still downs them!
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    CNash wrote:

Psylocke is fine except for the strike tiles cap she has, otherwise I don't get why you'd consider her weak.
    Because everyone says she's bad she must be then?

Play with her for a while, she is not top-tier or anything but she has 2 cheap abilities that deal plenty of damage (considering the AP usage and that she's a 3*). Her blue is not exactly the best but it can come in handy + it's fun to use.

She's an alpha striker, designed to be fast vs easy-mid enemies, she can clear nodes pretty fast in PVE.

Also, she pairs well with ProfX or Falcon even. She can produce plenty of specials that they can boost.

Punisher could use a slight damage increase on black & green but once again, they're both cheap abilities so you can't expect crazy damage on a 3*. Black is easy to fire off multiple times, attack tiles are basically a free turn of damage.

Green produce some pretty weak tiles but on usage, it usually leads up to a few cascades so it kind of makes up for it.

Red is still relevant today since it works off a %.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    CNash wrote:

Psylocke is fine except for the strike tiles cap she has, otherwise I don't get why you'd consider her weak.

Play with her for a while, she is not top-tier or anything but she has 2 cheap abilities that deal plenty of damage (considering the AP usage and that she's a 3*). Her blue is not exactly the best but it can come in handy + it's fun to use.

She's an alpha striker, designed to be fast vs easy-mid enemies, she can clear nodes pretty fast in PVE.

Also, she pairs well with ProfX or Falcon even. She can produce plenty of specials that they can boost.

Punisher could use a slight damage increase on black & green but once again, they're both cheap abilities so you can't expect crazy damage on a 3*. Black is easy to fire off multiple times, attack tiles are basically a free turn of damage.

Green produce some pretty weak tiles but on usage, it usually leads up to a few cascades so it kind of makes up for it.

I agree + let me add that Psylocke is frigging awesome. Not only her abilities are cheap, but they are getting cheaper for each of special tiles you have! Fast and deadly... Why in earth indeed somebody consider her as weak??
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    mckauhu wrote:
    sinnerjfl wrote:
    CNash wrote:

I agree + let me add that Psylocke is frigging awesome. Not only her abilities are cheap, but they are getting cheaper for each of special tiles you have! Fast and deadly... Why in earth indeed somebody consider her as weak??
    Psylocke is far from the worst, but she's in the bottom half since she doesn't really shine at anything. Iron Fist and Blade boh occupy the same niche of attack/strike tile makers and are arguably better at it since they do it through passive powers. It's incredibly rare that Psylocke is the best choice in any given situation.
    Punisher has the same problem, but at least the red gives a reason to play him.
  • CNash
    edited July 2016
    If you're saying that Punisher is worthwhile just for his red, then you've missed the point. A good character should have all three of their abilities equally usable.

Also, "you can't expect high damage from a 3*" - tell that to Cyclops (4K damage for 10 AP) or Magneto (5K damage for 10 AP).
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    CNash wrote:
    Magneto (5K damage for 5 AP).
    Did you figure out how to roll back to 2014 and use Patchneto?
  • CNash
    Damn, another typo. Sorry, that should've been 10 AP there. My point still stands, though.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    CNash wrote:
    If you're saying that Punisher is worthwhile just for his red, then you've missed the point. A good character should have all three of their abilities equally usable.

Also, "you can't expect high damage from a 3*" - tell that to Cyclops (4K damage for 10 AP) or Magneto (5K damage for 10 AP).

Those abilities cost more AP... yeah, kind of normal they do more damage, and 3* Cyclops is one of the best in his tier.

Punisher's abilities are all very usable, just that its his red that maintained it's place in the meta right now. Green/black have been outclassed since he's so old at this point.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,157 Chairperson of the Boards
    Punisher is one of the 3* characters out there that doesn't have an obvious "best" build, other than red 5. Do you want 3/5/5, 5/3/5, or 4/4/5? They're all doable, and you don't really lose that much with any of those builds.

A team I use him on with a good amount of success is Nick Fury/Punisher/Hood. Punisher and Fury tank for Hood, who steals AP that can power up Fury's expensive abilities, or Punisher's cheaper ones. You can also choose which black ability (Molotov vs Intimidation) you want to use depending on your situation.
  • Selvokaz
    Selvokaz Posts: 82 Match Maker
    to me im still not seeing the validity of Psylocke. Cheap or not in theory vs actual use seems to be two different things. Each round a team is left standing means more damage you're taking, psylocke doesn't have any strong offense and no defense, which means she's back up artillery at best, see needs other people to make her skills strong enough to be a threat to enemies like pve boosted mooks and characters who have hp in the 9k range for some 10k or more for others range that my roster seems to play at. My psylocke herself is championed at 166 and she can get positively rekt in these match ups, yeah I try teaming her up with Falcon in the hopes she'll get her strike and attack tiles boosted but falcon can only do but so much... her base values on those attacks are pitifully weak in comparison to people like Blade, or Iron Fist. She also isn't that great hp (better than some but im not sure it's enough) wise either so its not like she can take much of a hit. in my opinion she'd be better off use using her blue and letting better red and black powers take priority.

Psylocke, Falcon, and Blade.. is one team for her, and if you swope blade for groot that's another.. but are their some choice teams for her?
  • The Finn
    The Finn Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    simonsez wrote:
    CNash wrote:
    Magneto (5K damage for 5 AP).
    Did you figure out how to roll back to 2014 and use Patchneto?
    If we're rolling back changes, please bring back his infinite match blue. I miss that version of him....
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    The 3* Tier will never be complete in my mind until we have a Jessica Jones to partner up with Cage and Fist. It's got a Kristen Ritter shaped hole in it.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    snlf25 wrote:
    The 3* Tier will never be complete in my mind until we have a Jessica Jones to partner up with Cage and Fist. It's got a Kristen Ritter shaped hole in it.

oh god please not her, she looks like a cracked out alien.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Apparently I have a thing for cracked out aliens because I think she's pretty hot. icon_cool.gif
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Wait.....people are defending these characters TO NOT get updated / upgraded?

Because "they are fine, as is"?

Lord.