"My Hulkbustr went 0-1k without a hit, last 24 hours of S5"

2»

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    fanghoul wrote:
    Ah! Thanks for clarifying that. That also explains why after I've climbed to a certain point, I seem to tumble back down so fast.

Partly. Roster strength and visibility also play a big role in your equilibrium point (the point at which you can float for some time without being hit). Above 800 or so, your visibility goes way up. There is still mmr sorting, but opponents just starting their climbs can see you. So above 800 you get a lot of guys from people in the 100-200 range, and those hurt a lot.

Once you reach a point total where your roster is noticeably weaker than most other players at that point total, you become a prime target and will get crushed by everyone (probably down to well below your equilibrium point because of server lag).

I generally hit 1k with strong 3*/4* teams (if/imhb, or im40/4*thor). For those teams, in slice 4, i will get hit quickly if I float above 650 or so (600 towards the end of the event). Players with strong 4* combos (rulk + cyclops, or cyc + iceman) can can probably float up to 700 or a bit higher. And t* players can float much closer to 1k. Only the true elites with 450+ 5*s can float above 1k (and they will probably get hit too towards the end of events).
  • Omega Red
    Omega Red Posts: 366 Mover and Shaker
    My experience from today during Beast's event, slice 4:

Started 13 hours before event end. Climbed to 500+. I stopped there to allow for health packs to regenerate as I only had three left, no shield.

Came back an hour ago, only got hit once during my absence for a 27 points loss.

Climbed all the way to 1000 without getting hit once. Boosts were used during the last 150 point stretch.

My team was:

270 Rhulk
    183 Beast

209 5-3-2 4clops and 275 HB as third toon to climb.

For the final stretch my third toon was either 182 Switch or 175 Hood.

Key factor for only getting hit once was boosted Rhulk. That **** is a huge deterrent.

I would say, it's mostly a matter of having the right characters to climb fast and work as a good deterrent at the same time. That, and a little of luck as well.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had a similar experience today. Honestly, you need to just keep plugging away until you can get a useful 4* or 5*.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    This week is maybe a bad example because the strategy is essentially "Have Rulk." Now I realize that having the boosted character is pretty much ALWAYS the goal (aside from last week's hot garbage), but as someone with just about all top-tier 4*s EXCEPT Rulk champed (and a passable OML), I've gotten savaged every time I've cleared 650, which ain't typical.
  • BlackSheep101
    This week is maybe a bad example because the strategy is essentially "Have Rulk." Now I realize that having the boosted character is pretty much ALWAYS the goal (aside from last week's hot garbage), but as someone with just about all top-tier 4*s EXCEPT Rulk champed (and a passable OML), I've gotten savaged every time I've cleared 650, which ain't typical.
    Sorry about that.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Sorry about that.

Eh, it's rough this week without Big Red.
  • For us noobs, can someone explain what a s5 or s4 is?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    For us noobs, can someone explain what a s5 or s4 is?

There are 5 different end times for each PvP and pve event
    The players refer to them as time slices. 1-5 from top to bottom as listed in-game. Slice 4 for pvp events typically ends at 12am or pm US east coast time; it is the most populous slice.
  • BlackSheep101
    Sorry about that.
    It'll be my turn in a couple of days when everyone runs Cyclops.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sorry about that.
    It'll be my turn in a couple of days when everyone runs Cyclops.
    Not many people will run Cyke over a level 400+ 5* option.
    Rulk with his 15k AOE and cascades is good enough to run him instead of Phoenix.
  • BlackSheep101
    I dunno, I'd rather deal with 405 Phoenix than 350 Cyke.
  • woopie
    woopie Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Depends on the covers. 5 purple Phoenix + high level OML are basically all I lose to at this point. Red cascades and crit hits can melt any character in no time