"My Hulkbustr went 0-1k without a hit, last 24 hours of S5"

TLCstormz
TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Okay now.....seriously.....knowing that the MAJORITY of the playerbase cannot do this, has no idea how to do this, and always tries to do this ( meaning be successful at PvP, in general lol ) and fails, may I please please please please PLEASE have one of you elites / veterans / whales do a video capture, and post it for us?

I have asked for this before. And now I am asking again. If this is SO EASY TO DO, please show us 80%s ( ? ) how it's done. Please?

Thank you so very much, in advance. Like.....for real.

:+D

Comments

• TetsujinOni
    TetsujinOni Posts: 181 Tile Toppler
    Without a hit doesn't mean "didn't take damage in matches", it means "didn't have another player hit me and eat my PvP points".

That comes down to having a team that beating will take longer than your score is worth at that point in the shard, at the cost of too many health packs during the others' climbs.

When there's a plethora of juicier targets who are easier to beat, of course a Fistbuster or SwitchBuster with champed components is going to be on people's "pay 10 iso not to play that match" list....
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will gladly take on a fistbuster or jeanbuster, any time, any place. It's much easier than a championed phoml!!
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Last 24 hours is a LONG time. As a s5 regular, I would say the shard doesn't really pick up in activity until maybe the 11-12 hour point, so climbing prior to that time should mean very few hits until you get to the top of the shard, which granted might be around 1k. Even still it is very doable (I may not say easy, but it will be easy for some) to hit 1k in one go with some good 4* up until maybe 5-6 hours til the end. This is obviously not scientific in the least, but around that time activity picks up to the point where it's hard to even break 900 without being hit.

As I'm sure you've seen other places throughout the forum, all of this is helped with a little coordination on LINE. If a good portion of the active players are avoiding you, it's gonna be easier to climb, not to mention you will be able to line up juicy targets that you might not have found just randomly looking. I've hit 1300+ with no hits in s5 using just jeanbuster (or just power through the hits cause you are earning points faster), so 1k can certainly be done.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Okay now.....seriously.....knowing that the MAJORITY of the playerbase cannot do this, has no idea how to do this, and always tries to do this ( meaning be successful at PvP, in general lol ) and fails, may I please please please please PLEASE have one of you elites / veterans / whales do a video capture, and post it for us?

I have asked for this before. And now I am asking again. If this is SO EASY TO DO, please show us 80%s ( ? ) how it's done. Please?

I'm not sure a video would really help. There are really only two things you can do to help you accomplish your goal:

1.) Join a prominent battle chat. If you play in the same slice all the time you probably notice a lot of the same names every event. If you don't....start noticing them. Check your leaderboard frequently, check the top players, check during the event, check at the end of the event. Pay attention to who is hitting you, and who you are hitting. Pay attention to their alliances. In particular, if you regularly see someone at the top of your leaderboard with a much weaker roster than you - try to contact them either on the forums or on LINE. Joining a LINE group will guard you from hits from everyone in that group. You will also get access to cupcake info, but you need to be able to climb to 800 on your own before you can see the cakes.

2.) Never hit anyone worth less than 43 points. If you beat a team worth less than 43 pts you leave them a retal worth more than the points you just took from them, and they will usually hit you back. I don't care how fierce or scary you think your JeanBuster team is....it isn't. Just don't do it. This can often cost hundreds of ISO as you get close to the 800 pt mark, but it's what you have to do to get out of queue hell and avoid taking a ton of hits in the process.

That's it. Those are really the only things you can do to avoid taking hits while you climb (other than shielding I suppose, but the goal should be to get to 1k without shielding).
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2016
    Why focus on getting to 1K without being hit?

The goal ought to be hitting 1K without shielding.

I agree with this. I have a lv 405 OML, and I usually pair it up with a boosted 4* champion. And even I usually get hit a few times on my rise to 1300. Which is fine, as long as I keep hitting people at 60+ points. If I reach a point where I'm getting hit myself for 60+ points but only see queues at 20 points, then I usually shield and give up.

Fortunately in S4 with < 8 hours left, it's usually not too bad of a rise to 1300. But it can take around an hour or so. That would be a pretty boring video to watch.
  • PeterGibbons316
    mpqr7 wrote:
    If I reach a point where I'm getting hit myself for 60+ points but only see queues at 20 points, then I usually shield and give up.
    Right. This is when you should shield. You don't shield to keep from getting hit. You shield to keep from losing points faster than you can gain them.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    I don't know if I've ever gone 0-1k without a scratch, but I often go 0-1k with minimal health use (read- under 7 health packs). Yes, hits may add more time to your climb, but it's really not a huge deal until you're in higher point areas. Below that, there's always targets to climb off of.
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    I did this in the Peggy PvP (sorry, I don't have video).

Honestly, it was really timing. I joined about noon PST on Tuesday into the last slot, giving me about 23 hours to go. In the States thats not really an optimal time for most folks to play (still work day for anyone in the continental US), but fortunately I'm at a computer all day and can play over lunch.

I already had a 0/1/2 Peggy which was nice. With **** boosted characters there were a lot of folks running non-boosted teams, and very few OML teams having started. It was a pretty easy climb to 850 or so. Thanks to Peggy I could delay the other team and build more red for IMHB, and once his strike tiles out the enemy team was ground down. After 850 I got luck with a couple of cupcake teams that put me over.

I was pretty much out of health packs by then end but made it in time. I would have shielded if the cupcakes hadn't popped up.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hit 1k in the recent Peggy PvP doing the following (after messing about with some different teams to test her usefulness)

8am :Started event with 20 hours to go...

Climbed until 300 (with the aforementioned various teams)

Left it for an hour while I did some work.

9am: 19 hours to go... Climbed to 450 and then left it for 2 hours to do some work.

11am: 17 hours to go... Climbed to 690 then left it for a while (timescales get fuzzier here as I got busy)

Approx 8pm : 7 hours to go... Climbed to 1023 got greedy trying to go to 1300and got hit back down to 989. Used 8 hour shield and called it a day.

Typically if I want 1k I will try to do this. Not always possible but that's what I did in peggy

Edit: my go to team was x23/Peggy/fist
    Also used hulk/Peggy/px quite a lot
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    TLCstormz wrote:

2.) Never hit anyone worth less than 43 points. If you beat a team worth less than 43 pts you leave them a retal worth more than the points you just took from them, and they will usually hit you back. I don't care how fierce or scary you think your JeanBuster team is....it isn't. Just don't do it. This can often cost hundreds of ISO as you get close to the 800 pt mark, but it's what you have to do to get out of queue hell and avoid taking a ton of hits in the process.

I thought the magic number was 38. Has that changed? (Admittedly, I don't pay terribly close attention to the various strategies out there so I may just be confused.)
  • PeterGibbons316
    TLCstormz wrote:

I thought the magic number was 38. Has that changed? (Admittedly, I don't pay terribly close attention to the various strategies out there so I may just be confused.)
    If someone else has the same score as you they will be worth 38 points. If you hit them, your point total will be 76 points higher than theirs, so their retal will be worth more than the 38 you took from them. (I think 46 pts according this this......viewtopic.php?f=34&t=34552)

You need to get up to a 43 pt differential before you can be sure that they won't get a retal worth more than what you took from them.
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    TLCstormz wrote:

If someone else has the same score as you they will be worth 38 points. If you hit them, your point total will be 76 points higher than theirs, so their retal will be worth more than the 38 you took from them. (I think 46 pts according this this......viewtopic.php?f=34&t=34552)

You need to get up to a 43 pt differential before you can be sure that they won't get a retal worth more than what you took from them.

Wow that is crazy. When I find a team worth 45 points, I almost can't click fight fast enough because it's so rare.
    Most teams I see, no matter how many points I have, are worth 22-35, non-retal teams I mean. If I skipped until I found teams at that 43 point level, I'd have no ISO for leveling.
  • Kjeldbjerg
    Kjeldbjerg Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Try a different time slice venom, below 1k you shouldn't have that much trouble finding 40+ targets
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hit 1k in the recent Peggy PvP doing the following (after messing about with some different teams to test her usefulness)

8am :Started event with 20 hours to go...

Climbed until 300 (with the aforementioned various teams)

Left it for an hour while I did some work.

9am: 19 hours to go... Climbed to 450 and then left it for 2 hours to do some work.

11am: 17 hours to go... Climbed to 690 then left it for a while (timescales get fuzzier here as I got busy)

Approx 8pm : 7 hours to go... Climbed to 1023 got greedy trying to go to 1300and got hit back down to 989. Used 8 hour shield and called it a day.

Typically if I want 1k I will try to do this. Not always possible but that's what I did in peggy

Edit: my go to team was x23/Peggy/fist
    Also used hulk/Peggy/px quite a lot

This is pretty much what I always do, except I don't shield at the end. In my brackets, usually 1k is not enough for top 25, so 150 HP for top 100 rewards is not worth it, especially since I can just do a couple battles at the event's end if I lost enough points to knock me off top 100 to get back in.
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    Kjeldbjerg wrote:
    Try a different time slice venom, below 1k you shouldn't have that much trouble finding 40+ targets

I should probably avoid brackets lead by anyone with "King" in there name.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Wow that is crazy. When I find a team worth 45 points, I almost can't click fight fast enough because it's so rare.
    Most teams I see, no matter how many points I have, are worth 22-35, non-retal teams I mean. If I skipped until I found teams at that 43 point level, I'd have no ISO for leveling.
    Kjeldbjerg wrote:
    Re-quoting because this is important. I chose slice 2 once, when trying for an important cover, and getting from 800-1000 was a nightmare. Skip after skip of people worth 7-12 points. Slice 4 or 5 are way, way more active and make climbing much faster.

Fistbuster is a fast climber (purple boosts) and still intimidating for the 250+ tier (not so much for 300+). Despite, or perhaps because it is really early in the Season, I fist-busted my way to 2000 in S.H.I.E.L.D. Sim today, climbing from 1400 on mostly 30-40 pointers, and only got attacked once (and won). Fist 178, HB 275, with a 300 OML to save on health packs. The most entertaining (and potentially disastrous) team I fought was 210 Peggy, 270 ProfX/Devil Dino, but mostly it was 3 champ 4s.

I think the OP quote must be from people who get to 650ish points with 24 hours to go, then push from there in an active slice in one sitting later. The real hits don't come until 850+, especially 900, so if you line up a lucky cupcake you can often jump to 940ish unscathed and then pop on a 3hr shield to give you time to search for the hit you'll need to get above 1000. It's a lot harder if you get only to around 910 (it sure feels like that third token's the pain threshold), requiring 2-3 unscathed battles instead of one.

Also, that guy might have HB as his one champ 4-star leading to generally weaker opponents.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2016
    I agree with aesthetocyst: the goal is 1k without shielding.

It is generally possible with a fast 3*/4* team or a decently strong or fast 4*/4* team (e.g., xpool/xforce is just a little too slow/squishy to do it reliably, jeanbuster is slow, but powerful enough to muscle through). Key is to play in longer sets (to minimize your visibility at higher scores, and playing in off peak times.

Other useful tips: ignore the skip tax. Getting a good opponent is way more valuable than the few hundred iso you will spend cycling nodes. Only play good opponents: someone you can almost certainly beat AND is worth 40+. Once you get to 850+, you can risk facing stronger opponents for more points, but be liberal with boosts and strong teamups.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker

This can't be correct, because when you hit someone and gain 38 points, they don't also lose 38 points.

Example 1: I just got hit by someone at about my point level and lost 11 points. They probably got 30 some points for it.

Example 2: This is why slices with more active PvP also have higher average scores. Additional fighting actually creates more points to go around.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    fanghoul wrote:

This can't be correct, because when you hit someone and gain 38 points, they don't also lose 38 points.

Example 1: I just got hit by someone at about my point level and lost 11 points. They probably got 30 some points for it.

Example 2: This is why slices with more active PvP also have higher average scores. Additional fighting actually creates more points to go around.
    Past 1000 points, the attacked player lose the same amount of points as the attacking players gain - if you hit someone worth 50 points they lose 50 points. Before 1000 points you only lose a fraction of the points gained by the attacker. At 500 points you'd lose half of what the attacker gains, at 800 you'd lose 80% and so on.
    Shields is the only way to add points to a slice after you get to 1000 points.
  • fanghoul
    fanghoul Posts: 311 Mover and Shaker
    Ah! Thanks for clarifying that. That also explains why after I've climbed to a certain point, I seem to tumble back down so fast.