How engaged are you by Story Mode?

The Herald
The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I all cleared the latest double iso8 event, but since then have just mined nodes for CP.

Haven't even gone for the 25 CP reward icon_neutral.gif

Not sure how much I'm going to bother with Prodigal Sun yet either.

How is everyone else doing?

Am I just in a funk?

Comments

• ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    i still need to poop, so i still play pve.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's a nice source for ISO. And with Rulk boosted in Prodigal Sun most clears should be fairly fast.
  • DTStump
    DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
    I regularly do 3 to 4 full clears after work and 1 before work, which is good enough for 25CP every event, top100 in new character releases, and often sub top50 rewards.

It's a steady source of HP for my new roster slots (which are my main motivation right now), without the stress of getting hit repeatedly in PvP or worrying about timing (I just ignore PvE timers).
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are you talking about engaged in the story or just engaged in PvE for rewards and whatnot?

I really like the stories - some of the recent ones are quite good, and I wish they'd move them to the Prologue. Doing PvE for rewards is just like doing anything else in this game.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Most events I'll go 7/7 on nodes, but this last Heroic is so painful I'm stopping around max progression.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2016
    I've been doing heavy PvE for a long time but am skipping both this Juggs run as well as next Prodigal Sun making only minimal effort (enough to get the token each day). The first Heroic I've skipped (not got full progress) in ten months or something. I love Heroics (get to use weird combinations of characters) but this one was such a horrid combo coupled with the second most sucky Heroic and after the giant grind for Peggy and my idiotic last minute decision for the Deadpool PvE to go for progression grinding like a madman at the last moment. And Prodigal Sun is seven days so not really worth it IMO. They really, really should double the CP progression reward for seven-day events.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I always play at least to the 25CP, otherwise how am I supposed to **** about how absurd luck-based progression is?
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've skipped the pves except for the ones with double iso. I realized that sure the rounds are easy, but I've done them so many times, and the prizes are so small, I'd rather just spend my time playing other games at this point.

I still do pvp, because you can get decent prizes after every few battles, so it feels more worthwhile.

pve drives me nutz, when it's like "thanks for doing 20 battles.. here's a bonus 100 iso as progression prize." Umm.. thanx?

I don't even bother trying to get the cp, I just don't care, it's so much effort for what mostly ends up being just 1000 iso. I'll be more excited when there's some sort of streak-breaker that makes it more worth it.

The first 5 chapters were so good! I wish that they would make more chapters in the permanent story. Those were so fun, that we could attack them at our own time and pace.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    PvE is garbage, scaling sucks, dark avengers are played out.
    Double ISO helps, play at your own pace helps (since I don't play for rank)

It's not just you. Playing PvE reminds me to poop.
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Because I suck at PvP, I play Pve usually about 3 clears/sub or if I feel I got nerves and time, until the 25cp price (very rarely). I know the prizes are fairly small, but when playing 3 clears/sub + DDQ every day, I get around 10k iso/day
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    How enraged are you by Story Mode?

</Fixed> icon_lol.gif
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I farm PVE for ISO and get the 25 CP. normally 4 clears and 7 on the trivial since I can walk through those fairly quickly. New characters I do a full 7-8 clears aiming for top 20 or top 10. I did skip the heroic as I just couldn't bring myself to get that frustrated over the game. It was also a nice break from the game and to make up the ISO I missed I pulled 100 taco tokens today to try and get moonlight cover. I didn't get him but I have 90 health packs now.bb icon_redface.gif
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm engaged in a directly proportional amount to my perceived ROI on my time. lately that has been most non-heroic pves on the old system. lately heroics have been skipped and tests are played if progression is reasonable. taking the ceiling off of the opponent level is a big turn-off. and this latest heroic I made it about a clear and a half and said F this.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    My engagement is significantly higher when the buffed characters are good, that's one thing. The current characters are uninspiring and my interest is low, but once they get around to buffing some characters I both have and like playing with, then I'll probably be back to liking the game a bit more.

Ultimately that just ties into the general complaint of the game being super stale. There's no Puzzle in Puzzle Quest the vast majority of the time, and the only Quest is "gotta catch em all". The story is stalled out in a big way and I don't really care about doing events for the 10th time. And even the first time around I didn't care about doing each node endlessly. They just manage story mode super terribly.

If they'd put all the events into the Prologue and give a way to unlock them periodically, they could reserve Story for, you know, actual story developments. Just think how much more engaged people would be if they had a new story event every two weeks, or even every month. People might actually start noticing that there's a plot buried somewhere in the game! It can't be harder than putting out actual comic books every month!
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Story mode is my only reliable source of 4* covers from the 25 CP and from the 2 daily CP. I have to play it if I want to keep progressing in the game. It's also probably my main source of hero points when I place high enough in subs and final placement.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    mpqr7 wrote:
    How enraged are you by Story Mode?

</Fixed> icon_lol.gif
    I seriously read the title as that the first 10 times I saw it. I was thinking "well, this Heroic sucks **** for sure, but I don't know about enraged"
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Missed when I enjoyed reading the pve story as I played. Now I skip the animation even when it is reskinned like the Peggy release.

Mostly though I play just whenever, sometimes I make progression but others just the three star. Sometimes I farm the cp nodes, sometimes I just skip them entirely when they are just too difficult like in the current Heroic.

I will say that making progression has become way more of a task now since cp has been introduced.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've played every PVE since I started playing the game but skipped the Juggs heroic and am skipping the Prodigal Sun run. Mostly because I didn't need Ragnarok covers or SpiderMan covers and kinda need a break. I'm sure I'll be back in a week grinding away but was actually pretty thankful for these two events off. Have been playing the DDQ everyday and dipping my foot in the PVP pool a little more than usual instead.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been pretty burned out lately. I've been trying with Heroic Juggernaut - getting my initial clear, one more full and then hammering trivials with the 2* and essentials with the main team. I've got ~ 12 hr left to do it and I'm still ~ 20k away. Ironically, I was in T50 this morning. Seems like most players aren't bothering.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    My engagement is significantly higher when the buffed characters are good, that's one thing. The current characters are uninspiring and my interest is low, but once they get around to buffing some characters I both have and like playing with, then I'll probably be back to liking the game a bit more.
    Yep, I agree with this 100%. I have tried to stay interested in the most recent couple of PvE events, but I can't even keep my attention on PvP because the boosted characters are just garbage. I end up switching back to my only 4* champion (Thor) and IM40 in PvP with this list, and it's allowed me to take a complete break from PvE.

The burnout from the massive number of new characters we've been bombarded with combined with Civil War and the terrible boosted characters just made me throw up my hands halfway through DPvMPQ and call it quits for a bit. I haven't even opened the Juggernaut event.

I'm not sure how much I plan to play Prodigal Sun either, though I might dabble in it because the progression is low and I do enjoy playing boosted Blade, but Hood isn't the best if he tanks colors, and I have him higher level than his boosted buddies even though I have four of the five 3*s champed.. I might dump a little ISO into my 2/4/2 Rulk and play around some with him.

PvE definitely feels more and more stale unless there's double ISO or a test event (as long as the test isn't a total joke). The Meet Rocket and Groot test was probably the most fun I've had playing PvE lately outside of enjoying the dialogue from Howard's release.