For Victory post-mortem

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
My general impression of the Peggy PvP event: she made a significant difference in my playstyle even at 1/1/1.

I definitely found myself targeting her earlier than any other new 4* in their release PvP event. I also protected my loaner Peggy much more than I typically protect loaners.

Being able to remove Peggy while preserving my own was a very significant advantage, and conversely it was devastating when my Peggy was knocked out and the ai dropped a huge collection of abilities that it couldn't quite afford while her passiclve was up.

Overall, my impression is that she will play well at the 5* level, but won't be meta-warping there. Match damage will still drop her pretty quickly unless she is boosted, and moves like GG black or IM46 red will drop her fast enough.

But I think she will become a near-essential element of play in 4* land (much like hood was before the health-shift made him too squishy). And when boosted she will probably be an essential team-member for pvp events.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Also: the new reward structure should be implemented across the board.

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    The new reward structure was awesome!! I would love if there were more 4* pvps, and they had that reward structure.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    I'm in 5* land so it didn't change my play much. The one change I did make was the use of my own Peggy instead of the loaner for baking. I didn't train any yellow powers for her so that people could bake off my cakes without needing extra AP for a TU.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Considering the next event doesn't have the same structure, I'm guessing this was a special one-off for the holiday. Which is sad, because you're right. I absolutely spent more HP on shields in this event than I ever have before. Eh well.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    loroku wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Considering the next event doesn't have the same structure, I'm guessing this was a special one-off for the holiday. Which is sad, because you're right. I absolutely spent more HP on shields in this event than I ever have before. Eh well.

Same here. I usually don't go very high in PVP since I am a tasty queue with my 3* roster but this one I wanted to see if I could hit 1K. Got the first Peggy cover with 5 shields and made it all the way to 830. Sadly, I hit a brick wall after that and after winning a match and still ending up 140 points lower than I started the match in I quit trying to hit the second cover. If every PVP had this same format I could see myself trying to push to 800 instead of 650 where I usually stop.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    her effectiveness was very eveident when I got sloppy early and used my 0/0/2-3 instead of the 1/1/1 loaner. i was kicking myself several times. luckily it didn't cost me much. was very happy to pass 1K and get that yellow on mine.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    I'm in 5* land so it didn't change my play much. The one change I did make was the use of my own Peggy instead of the loaner for baking. I didn't train any yellow powers for her so that people could bake off my cakes without needing extra AP for a TU.
    I don't think she affected TU cost- at least for the AI.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still climbed with Loaner/IM40/Thoress... So I needed to collect 8 yellow instead of 6, then 11 blue instead of 9, then she was stunned... and the increased AP goes away while she is stunned. Then I could double tap with my Red for 10 each instead of 12 each, then it was business as usual.

I do like her character already... now I just need the yellow... I didn't go for the 1K.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anyone else looking forward to using her against goons? Assuming it works on their CD-dropping abilities (don't see why it wouldn't) it would be YOOOOOGE against Symbiotes.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Jarvind wrote:
    Anyone else looking forward to using her against goons? Assuming it works on their CD-dropping abilities (don't see why it wouldn't) it would be YOOOOOGE against Symbiotes.

I want to roll her and Quake against goons and laugh. "Oh, you finally got a tile out? *nuke that color* Guess not"
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was lucky enough to get a 1/1/3 Peggy and here are my observations.

Her blue stun is her most valuable asset (active that is) the damage would be nice if all the cd went off but I'd say 75% of the time only one would, but stunning 2 team members for 3 turns is a great ability and by far my most used ability during Peggy PvP.

Facing her I knew going in that boosting match damage with passives would be the best way to go and I was right. I also predicted the t10 would be teams of 5* and I was right again in my bracket.

If you're used to accelerating them Peggy is your worst nightmare. Fortunately for me I'm not and so it didn't feel too frustrating for me not being able to do it. I tried out a variety of teams and tactics to see what was most effective (fyi falcap/fist wrecks it pretty quick as does hulk/px). What skewed my findings was the use of my own Peggy meaning my enemy couldn't fire abilities before my passive strategy knocked them out. If I didn't have my own Peggy I imagine that strategy might not work quite as well.

Peggy is far better than I first envisioned and a great support character for any tier.

Also KEEP THAT PVP STRUCTURE. It was great!
  • Vhailorx
    OneLastGambit:

What 3* and 4* teams can rely on passive/match damage and also not invite hits at high level PvP?

(no snark, honestly want to know). I get that shielding is the only defense that really matters at high PvP scores, but I also need something that won't invite extra attacks above 800 So that I can climb to 1k without trouble.

Flaptain/if seems like a decent start, but not too many people have a champed flaptain, and under-leveled he will be a magnet for hits.
  • Starsaber
    Starsaber Posts: 206
    Vhailorx wrote:
    OneLastGambit:

What 3* and 4* teams can rely on passive/match damage and also not invite hits at high level PvP?

(no snark, honestly want to know). I get that shielding is the only defense that really matters at high PvP scores, but I also need something that won't invite extra attacks above 800 So that I can climb to 1k without trouble.

Flaptain/if seems like a decent start, but not too many people have a champed flaptain, and under-leveled he will be a magnet for hits.

I'm far from a PVP expert but I used Cage/Fist for most of the event
  • Vhailorx
    Thanks for the response starsaber. It looks like you have a 3* champ + under-covered 5* roster. (i.e. no 4* champs).

What sort of matchmaking do you get above 700 in PvP?
  • Starsaber
    Starsaber Posts: 206
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Thanks for the response starsaber. It looks like you have a 3* champ + under-covered 5* roster. (i.e. no 4* champs).

What sort of matchmaking do you get above 700 in PvP?
    I usually stop at 650. icon_redface.gif I'm more of a PVE player
  • irwando
    irwando Posts: 263 Mover and Shaker
    Hulkbuster made for an easy climb about 24 hours before the end of Slice 5. I went 0-1k without a hit which helped. IF + IMHB's strike tiles still hit hard. IF's purple is still pretty cheap to play into IMHB's even with Peggy's yellow in play. And the nice thing is, even though IMHB's Red costed more, you got that much more damage since damage scales with # of red.

Most of the time I left Peggy for last. Usually she hadn't gathered enough blue yet so when I got to her last I denied it to prevent the stun. I think at 5 Yellow it'd be much harder.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    This event once again bitterly showcased how badly scaling is handled at my level. There just weren't enough damn points! Only two players in my bracket got over 1000 points and not by a large margin. I was in slice 4 from nearly the beginning, just a tad behind but still got seed teams. Got to just over 900 at 3:00 in the fracking morning and still got absolutely gang banged down to 600 some odd points almost immediately. And yet I STILL FINISHED HIGH ENOUGH IN PLACEMENT TO GET TWO DOC OCK COVERS! Please Figure scaling out! I used to be able to get 1K nearly every event and I'm tired of getting screwed! I wanted that yellow Peggy!

Edit: I went back to check so I had my facts absolutely straight. I came in 22nd with 633 points icon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gif

Top guy had 1055 points, 2nd place made 1004, I had been watching the leaderboards and I never saw anybody but those two make it over 1000 points. Only those two finished above 1000 points.
  • Only my second time I hit 1000. It's hard but I realllllly wanted that yellow
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    OneLastGambit:

Truthfully speaking any 3* team will invite hits at high level. I experimented with literally everyone on my roster to see what worked well and what didn't. Past 700 pts or so any 3* team will get destroyed, what Peggy does is equalise that a little. On your team she makes 4* costs too high to fire really *if you can boost your match damage or use passives sufficiently before then*.

If you're a 3* player gunning for 1k and your against a Peggy (but don't have one yourself) then the combos mentioned are best. Defensively? Nothing. The strategy in this case becomes late climbing with one of the two teams I mentioned. You'll hit 1k but you will not go higher. And it will take good timing and good use of shields to do it (though I am sure 1 three hour shield is enough)

The point of my posts is to dispell fear. Some were saying that Peggy was doomsday for mpq and while she does make it trickier she does not break the game. There are methods to win. For me its half the fun of mpq- finding useful teams to beat better teams.

Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer questions if you have them.

*recap
    Px/hulk/anyone can beat a Peggy team (personally I took down a peggy/rulk/4cyke team with this combo - rulk was maxed cyke was 240)
    Falcap/fist / anyone *cage recommended* can beat a Peggy team (best team I beat was 1/3/1 Peggy/JG/fist )

Peggy makes things hard butvdoesntbbreak the game
  • Tilesmasher
    Tilesmasher Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    4/5/4, at 188. I hide her behind OML, her stun is handy vs OML too. Climbing from 200-1050 in the pvp I had a total of 3 enemy powers fired at me.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Speaking of being annoying as the Hood, those two actually go quite well together. Peggy tanks 2 of his colours, together they have 4 actives and Hood's black speeds up Peggy's blue while the combination of their passives almost guarantees that the opponent won't ever shoot a power. They only need a purple-green character to complement... now if there were ANY good green-purple characters in the game... icon_e_wink.gif