Did they go too far with buffing Iron Man 3*

20three
20three Posts: 371
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
What do you think? Iron Man went from being arguably the worst 3 star to arguably being the best, but did they go too far in buffing him. It's a strange series of circumstances, probably tired of hearing the same endless complaints that there are 3 stars that are trash, they decided to update 3. Vision and Quicksilver were also boosted, but to such a minuscule degree that remained unnoticeable to the point that they are still in the bottom 10 (IMO) of 3 stars. Anyway, then there's iron man, went from being a total joke to a fearsome support character. I don't know the exact details of the change, but now he can generate a maximum of 36 AP for the cost of 6. So after that, Iron Man was the last 3 star to get buffed even though spiderman and friends are still trash. So what do you think? Did they go too far, or did iron man deserve this treatment after being as worthless as a battery with 1% life?

Personally, I'll always be bitter I trashed my 11 cover Iron Man like a week before the change was announced, but still, I think it's a bit much. It's too difficult to starve just 2 yellow matches from the enemy, and the powers they fire off then are real health pack drainers, so yeah, I'm not too keen on the change.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    No, not at all. Iron man is marvels most popular character and this makes up for.not having a viable 2 star version or hulkbuster that is extremely hard to get covered.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's still just a 3☆
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Looking at it from a pure game design perspective, yes Iron Man is way too powerful compared to the other 3-star characters.

Looking at it from an MPQ perspective, we all know the devs can't balance the characters to save their lives and this game will never be balanced, so I'm happy that they at least made a useful character, since 85% of the characters in the game you wouldn't even think twice about using if they are not buffed.
  • smkspy
    Why even bring this topic up, it's like you want to draw attention to him being a great character now, so he'll get nerfed cause we're having fun with him.
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    I don't find him OP at all. Prevent 6 yellow and he is not all that effective. He's the team engine. Take him out first and fight is usually over.
  • tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    No, but they did go too far with debugging vision icon_e_sad.gif
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    No they didnt buff him too much.

You would know if they did because he would be dominating pvp, and he doesn't do that. The teams he enables tend to be teams that are mediocre on defense, which makes him a character for shield hopping and pve only, really. That is a perfectly reasonable niche for a character to have.

More importantly, his existence makes slower characters more viable, which is important for diversity.
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    Nah, if you remove his yellow, do you ever roster him? He has one good ability, and two expensive ones. If you can block yellow, match the recharge tiles (even just one), or stun IM, you've reduced him to nothing.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    simply put no
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm in the no group. He's really useful at times, but when you hit a board with no yellow, or the countdowns get matched away he suddenly becomes junk. Iron Fist is still far more reliable as a booster for a partner.

I'm thinking of trying goblin/Four Thor and IM40 for reliability, but it's still not a dominant build in most situations. The computer won't play it right in PvP and Charlie's ANgels is still better in PvE.

But I would imaging if I didn't have the collection I had then there would be a point where IM40 could be a dominant character. And that's a very good thing. Having different characters dominate different stages of progression is a desirable trait in my opinion.
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    No.

He and my 4hor are in love and going to get married. I won't let you get between them.
  • xdogg
    xdogg Posts: 334 Mover and Shaker
    He and my 4hor are in love and going to get married. I won't let you get between them
    I hear he and Peggy may be having some affairs
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    To the OP, who you rather have on your team, Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Cyclops or Iron Man? All are at the same level and optimally covered. Most players I think would probably opt for Cyclops I imagine.

As has already been stated it is a character with 1 decent move (that has a serious drawback) and 2 other very expensive move that will never be used.
  • 20three
    20three Posts: 371
    smkspy wrote:
    Why even bring this topic up, it's like you want to draw attention to him being a great character now, so he'll get nerfed cause we're having fun with him.

LOL

You think making one topic on the board mentioning how a character might need a nerf is enough to actually have the developers do something about it? Your naïveté is adorable. Thank you for inferring that I have some magical and extraordinary power around here, now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to make a topic encouraging bagman to become the most powerful character in the game, and we'll just see what happens with that.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    20three wrote:
    smkspy wrote:

LOL

You think making one topic on the board mentioning how a character might need a nerf is enough to actually have the developers do something about it? Your naïveté is adorable. Thank you for inferring that I have some magical and extraordinary power around here, now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to make a topic encouraging bagman to become the most powerful character in the game, and we'll just see what happens with that.

They have nerfed things before by reading posts that are put up here.

Off the top of my head:
    Galactus nerfs included:
    Starlord redflag.png , Elektra blackflag.png , and Colossus blackflag.png

1* Venom critical nerf

I'm sure there's alot more, that's all I can think of right away.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Down with nerfs; up with buffs!

I can't get behind nerfing any character. How about making the dozens of meh characters earn their roster spot instead?
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nope. Any time the 3* can be a bit relevant again, I like it. Make Psylock OP, let her see play! In deep 4* land I'd immediately hit any team that I see running 3* IM.
  • smkspy
    20three wrote:
    smkspy wrote:

LOL

I'm not saying your one topic is enough, or that you're opinion I'd all powerful (ego, much?), but why draw attention to something that doesn't need it. The game is known for developers nerfing powerful characters that benefit players. They read this forum...your topic and then the next topic on it by the next random posters starts putting ideas in their heads.

Don't be piss cause someone thinks your thread is counter productive.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    20three wrote:
    smkspy wrote:

LOL

You think making one topic on the board mentioning how a character might need a nerf is enough to actually have the developers do something about it? Your naïveté is adorable.

SPEAKING of being naive. lmfao.

You must be new here, or something.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    His recharge ability puts him in the top support 3* with SW, Hood, Loki category. As far as damage dealers cyclops, IF, cage are still better.

IM pairs well with 4* like Thor, iceman, Rhulk, Cyclops, JG.
    If pairs with black users like HB, OML
    SW pairs with purple users.
    Hood and Loki pair with all.

The last thing is in PVP if you are running an un boosted IM you are going to get smack down like no tomorrow. The fact that he is useful in PVE with 4* is a good thing. The fact is when you get to 4* land there are a lot of 3* that just become roster slots but since IM is support he can be used.