We have 4 captain americas, but no villains

20three
20three Posts: 371
edited July 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Then again, he has a horrible line-up for original/exclusive villains, probably the worst of any major superhero, but is it appropriate that we still have none of them?

Here are the major players according to good ol' wikipedia

A.I.M.
Arnim Zola
Baron Blood
Baron Strucker
Baron Zemo
Batroc the Leaper
Crossbones
Doctor Faustus
Grand Director
Hate-Monger
Hydra
MODOK
Red Skull
Scourge of the Underworld
Serpent Society
Serpent Squad
Sin Viper (Madame Hydra)

(Some of these are affiliations and such, but still, aside from Red Skull, talk about a bunch of irrelevant scrubs)

Comments

• Marine8394
    Marine8394 Posts: 301 Mover and Shaker
    Lack of VILLAINS period. icon_evil.gif . Soooo tired of the heroic overload. It makes no sense to have almost nothing but one type of character. I guess the Devs like/love the idea of the guardsmen killing each other while the prisoners watch. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I could get behind Red Skull or MODOK.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    All those Captain Americas vanquished the villains, so much so they will never be seen or heard of again.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Technically winter soldier is both a cap villain and hero (and a cap himself)

Cap has a few good villains baron zemo and red skull should definitely be in the game.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    It is incredible that we still dont have Red Skull in the game, other baddies of that list are not as cool or important (they are too Hydrish all of them), but Red Skull is big and it is still missing!

It would proably be quite cool if they would add Modok and some hydra baddies ala Gorgon and hand ( so one not fieldable baddie and some goons with hydra flavor).
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Wouldn't hold your breath for Hate-Monger; he's literally Hitler. icon_e_smile.gif
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    You missed Iron Man out of his list of enemies and lord knows we have enough Iron Men
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    We need a MODOK event with AIM goons. And a Batroc miniboss, who's not affiliated with those guys but THAT'S JUST WHAT I WANT OKAY MAN.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Red Skull is a no-brainer.
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor

He is, but he's also a Nazi. I'm sure that's got something to do with the hesitation.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    They have so little time to actually release any characters not directly related to a Marvel tie in. Recent character releases:

1) Peggy Carter (special Marvel games release, each game had unique character)

2) Moon Knight (recently re-released run in comics)

3) Kate Bishop (character in the All-New Hawkeye comic)

4, 5, 6 and 7) War Machine, Winter Soldier, Iron Man, Captain America (tie ins with Civil War)

8) Drax (comic promotion)

So it has been quite a while since there has been even a chance to release something not tie in related. It seems like, excluding Civil War, and OML, they use 5 stars as a chance to release unique characters not tie-in related.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards

He is, but he's also a Nazi. I'm sure that's got something to do with the hesitation.
    Pretty much. I don't see Red Skull being in the game outside of a boss fight or an enemy-only like Gorgon, because having an event that forces all the players to play a Nazi is not going to be good PR (though I can't speak to what the other Marvel games do or don't let people do).
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    ZeiramMR wrote:
    Pretty much. I don't see Red Skull being in the game outside of a boss fight or an enemy-only like Gorgon, because having an event that forces all the players to play a Nazi is not going to be good PR (though I can't speak to what the other Marvel games do or don't let people do).

As near as I can tell Red Skull is only playable in Future Fight. Everywhere* else it seems you can at most punch Red Skull in his red skull (currently anyway). So not completely impossible that he'd be playable here...but considering the outrage over Colossus' original commie symbol I'm thinking playable Nazi isn't going to happen.

*My research is far from extensive.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    I reckon they are holding off Red Skull until he returns in another movie in the MCU. It is suggested that the tesseract transported him away to an unknown location.
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Eh, there has been many games where Nazis and other "villainous" groups have been playable in-game (WW2 shooters for example), so I don't think it's impossible. In any case, there are designs for the Red Skull that are not overtly Nazi that can be used. As long as it is made clear that he is a villain, it really shouldn't be a problem.

Take the Winter Soldier for example. His design has a Soviet red star on it but I don't see anyone raising a fuss like they did with Colossus's hammer and sickle emblem. In either case, the reason that was given for the issue with Colossus was that he is a hero, but yet his emblem was for a regime that many people considered to be villains. If the same emblem had been used for a villain character (such as Omega Red), I doubt people would have much of a problem.

Not that I think it's a good idea to put either the hammer & sickle or the swastika in the game, even for villains. That's just asking for trouble.
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor
    It seems silly to draw the line at fictional Nazi when the game is littered with murders. Just go the movie the route and replace Nazi with Hydra and call it a day.

Then give me MODOK, Mandarin, and Enchantress.
  • JamesV
    JamesV Posts: 98 Match Maker
    I believe its been said that villains don't do as well financially. That people prefer heroes. Which I get. Sure.

I just wish they would make some of the goons be lesser tier villains. Even if the ability works the exact same way as it does now.

Take Doombot Decoy. Rename the abilities. Skin him to look like Whirlwind.*

Sure it's not the exact same as making Gorgon, but mentally it adds more variety to the game.

* completely understand that art assets are a cost, not meaning to trivialize that.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jeez, the MCU Red Skull said "Screw you guys" to the Nazis and went his own way with HYDRA. No serious moral dilemma there.

I've never used him much in FF because I've never bothered to farm him (I think mine is just 4*), so I don't know if he's any good there.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    JamesV wrote:
    I believe its been said that villains don't do as well financially. That people prefer heroes. Which I get. Sure.

I just wish they would make some of the goons be lesser tier villains. Even if the ability works the exact same way as it does now.

Take Doombot Decoy. Rename the abilities. Skin him to look like Whirlwind.*

Sure it's not the exact same as making Gorgon, but mentally it adds more variety to the game.

* completely understand that art assets are a cost, not meaning to trivialize that.
    They could also re skin thugs and call them Hydra agents. Re name the powers and poof you have new goon villians. The real issue is they would have to write a new PVE story and the new Story does not make money like new characters. We are more likely getting another boss battle with a 5* release then a new PVE story with new goons
  • mckauhu
    mckauhu Posts: 740 Critical Contributor
    Sandman would be great actually. And Kaine maybe.