A beautiful thing (possible bragging)

2»

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:
    My OML is level 452 and sits on the bench a good portion of the time. He's very good, but I don't think he's "broken" good.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=46904

How many folks are even out there that can mix and match different maxed 5* teams though....0.001%? icon_e_wink.gif
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    jobob wrote:
    My OML is level 452 and sits on the bench a good portion of the time. He's very good, but I don't think he's "broken" good.

How many folks are even out there that can mix and match different maxed 5* teams though....0.001%? icon_e_wink.gif
    love l, okay that's a fair point... But for that same reason, OML is seen as more OP than he really is. If everyone had a 2* Roster and then got Patch, they would probably see him as broken too, until they got more 3*.

OML and Phoenix are still the best sustained pushers in 5* land because of passive healing and revive. I would also rather fight against a fully leveled OML than Phoenix, IM, GG, or BSS.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2016
    jobob wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    jobob wrote:

love l, okay that's a fair point... But for that same reason, OML is seen as more OP than he really is. If everyone had a 2* Roster and then got Patch, they would probably see him as broken too, until they got more 3*.

OML and Phoenix are still the best sustained pushers in 5* land because of passive healing and revive. I would also rather fight against a fully leveled OML than Phoenix, IM, GG, or BSS.

OML isn't OP (any more than 5*s in general are OP). But he is a top tier 5*, and that true healing makes him the best character in the game. Not only can he fight almost anyone, he also saves you both time and resources by finishing every fight at or near max health. Patch was almost as awesome in the days of the 3* meta, but his health was only 70% of the true tanks like Thor and Hulk. OML has arguably stronger true healing than patch, and health that is basically in line with the rest of his tier (though IM46 did crank up 5* health a bit). OML is very good in a single match, but this game is about playing many many matches, and that's where OML truly excels.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with you Vhailorx. But you are also omitting the fact that if you so happen to lapse and allow Logan to transform, you have but a single turn before he jacks up your team. Win or lose, you're not coming out happy. That contributes to his general value considerably.

As a follow-up to the original post, I got my 13th cover! It's pretty exciting, although it does now present the problem of what to actually play for. I suppose I'll see...
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    Booo!

Throws tomatoes

Jk, congrats!
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    El Satanno wrote:
    As a follow-up to the original post, I got my 13th cover! It's pretty exciting, although it does now present the problem of what to actually play for. I suppose I'll see...
    For that coveted lvl 451, of course!

Also, congrats!
  • Vhailorx
    El Satanno wrote:
    I agree with you Vhailorx. But you are also omitting the fact that if you so happen to lapse and allow Logan to transform, you have but a single turn before he jacks up your team. Win or lose, you're not coming out happy. That contributes to his general value considerably.

That's what I mean when I say he is a top tier 5*. Im46 is very strong if you build for his red, and gg might be the best single-match character in the game. But OML is no slouch. He can go toe to toe with anybody AND he can do it all day long via true healing. #the_only_character_that_matters_in_mpq

Congrats! Hope the scaling increase from champ'ing a 5* doesn't suck away all the joy of getting to 451+!

Now please excuse me while I got deep quietly in the corner with my 0/1/0 OML and the dozens of LT pulls I have made that weren't OML. . .
  • jobob
    I don't disagree Vhailorx... Those are all valid points.

OML is the MVP of the game right now... If i could pick only 1 5* to have it would be him or Phoenix. He is certainly the best FIRST 5* for your roster. He does everything well, so he's extremely versatile.

My only point is that he isn't the best in every category, and isn't far and away OP relative to other 5*, and certainly isn't "broken" good.

Even if we say he's the best character... Well, by default some character has to be the best. Doesn't make them broken.
  • Vhailorx
    jobob wrote:
    I don't disagree Vhailorx... Those are all valid points.

OML is the MVP of the game right now... If i could pick only 1 5* to have it would be him or Phoenix. He is certainly the best FIRST 5* for your roster. He does everything well, so he's extremely versatile.

My only point is that he isn't the best in every category, and isn't far and away OP relative to other 5*, and certainly isn't "broken" good.

Even if we say he's the best character... Well, by default some character has to be the best. Doesn't make them broken.

Complaints of OP often turn into hyperbole. So I definitely agree with you.

How civil of us! Are you sure we are on the right board?
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can start swearing at you, if you like. icon_e_wink.gif

I'm not convinced that Logan isn't overpowered, though. Less in the ridiculous-nuke-whole-team-dead way, although his yellow is capable of such madness, and more in the holy-****-his-healing-is-strong way. Yes Patch is loosely analogous, but Logan is pretty challenging to get into that position where you can blow his head off. In the meantime you're sucking down his stupid match damage and hoping to hell he doesn't get those disastrous strike tiles out.
  • Vhailorx
    El Satanno wrote:
    I can start swearing at you, if you like. icon_e_wink.gif

I'm not convinced that Logan isn't overpowered, though. Less in the ridiculous-nuke-whole-team-dead way, although his yellow is capable of such madness, and more in the holy-****-his-healing-is-strong way. Yes Patch is loosely analogous, but Logan is pretty challenging to get into that position where you can blow his head off. In the meantime you're sucking down his stupid match damage and hoping to hell he doesn't get those disastrous strike tiles out.

We all agree that OML is crazy powerful.

But GG can do 23k for ap, 30k OR steal something like 18 ap for 10, and fortify tiles passively. IM46 also does 24k for 8ap, has powerful damage mitigation skills, and can create massive cascades that fuel his nuke. I don't see an argument that "OML is OP" that doesn't boil down to "5*s are OP."

In terms of in-game mechanics (i.e., health, powers, match damage), OML is *just* a strong 5*. He is best-in-game for meta-game reasons (true healing is crazy powerful in a game that requires grinding and literally sells health for real cash).
  • jobob
    Don't forget BSS. He is the most pleasantly surprising 5*, IMO. I was underwhelmed with him at first, but I use him more than maybe any other 5* in PVP. And in a 1v1 situation, he destroys OML. Massive damage potential, higher match damage, stun, negates strike tiles. He's a great character.

IMO, the 5* are mostly balanced pretty well.

OML is the most well-rounded, but Phoenix, IM40, GG, and BSS are all in the same tier with him.

Then you have SS in the next tier, and Cap on the bottom.
  • jobob
    jobob wrote:
    ...Then you have SS in the next tier, and Cap on the bottom.

Is 5cap really that bad? Worse than Surfer?

I have a 222 lvl 255 5cap. Haven't used him once.

It seems to me like 5cap's place in the game will be as a "starter" 5*, as his powers are so team-based ... and his yellowflag.png calls into play 3* and 4* abilities ... and his redflag.png is powered by Team Cap allies, almost all of whom are 3* and 4*.

With that in mind, maybe they should make 5cap more available, get him into the hands of 3* > 4* transitioners.

... but that's another thread.
    I think you are right about him fitting better with 3's and 4's. Within the 5* game (meaning pairing him with another 5*), I think he's about even with SS or slightly below. They're both clunky, but do some unique things for 5*s. The difference is, SS has some unique features (Singularity, un-stunnability) that are unique in the whole game, not just among 5*. And, while both are clunky, SS's abilities can feed one another and create a pretty powerful engine. You get a few charged tiles out, and a singularity or two, and SS becomes a very different beast. Not to mention he also has true healing.

I already posted a long analysis of what I think is wrong with Cap, so I won't go into it again... You can read that here:

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Day 820 was good for me too, for my OML reached the grand build of 1/0/0!

Today he stands might with an unbeatable build of 2/0/0 and the sky is the limit!