• jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    GrimSkald wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    N.E.R.D
    Noone ever really dies

The saying was "Noone ever stays dead except for Uncle Ben and Bucky."

Look what happened to that, eh?
    Gwen Stacy was the other that would never be back...
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gwen Stacey became the Marvel equivilent of Optimus Prime for a long time.
    Her only role in any story was to eventually die in some manner to spur conflict or story progression. Except in Spider Man 3 where she was just a glorified cameo, essentially.

That's why I was glad they created Spider Gwen. Now she has an actual purpose other than "the one who'll die eventually". She's a character by herself, not just the dead moral anchor to Peter Parker.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Her only role in any story was to eventually die in some manner to spur conflict or story progression. Except in Spider Man 3 where she was just a glorified cameo, essentially.

That's why I was glad they created Spider Gwen. Now she has an actual purpose other than "the one who'll die eventually". She's a character by herself, not just the dead moral anchor to Peter Parker.

portrait_incredible.jpg

GWENPOOLCOV2015001_DC91-600x922.jpg

Now, she can't die.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards
    Heck, there's plenty of Hitlers in the comics too. I think even Jesus made his appearance at times. So Ares being in the game isn't really strange, even though he probably died in some comics/universes.

The world would be too small if Hitler turned out to be the next 'joke' character icon_lol.gif.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 628 Critical Contributor
    fanghoul wrote:
    Ares isn't dead. He's actively alive and running around in the Contest of Champions comic. Which, as an aside, is one of my favorite Marvel comics at the moment. Despite being a tie-in to a video game.

Likewise!!! Logic and science dictate that video game tie-in comics simply aren't allowed to be this good. I've loved seeing all those dead/forgotten characters again (especially the original Night Thrasher)

Very sad to see that the upcoming issue 10 will be the final issue, though -- but at least we'll have gotten a complete storyline out of it, and hopefully get to see still-alive characters stick around elsewhere. I've loved [writer] Al Ewing's "Ultimates" as well, and after these two books will happily check out anything he does next.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor

She didn't have to be brought back to life to be a character... Spider-Man Blue proved that.