What's your favorite way to hit trivial nodes?

DTStump
DTStump Posts: 273 Mover and Shaker
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Especially in PvE, there are (still) trivial nodes that you can usually beat in just a couple of minutes. What's your favorite team/approach?

In my case I use a championed icon_vision.png and two dorks that stay behind him all the time (currently two one-cover, lvl 70, yellowtile.pngredtile.pngbluetile.png 4*s characters: icon_cyclops.png and icon_falcon.png). Just align blue (and red) for a quick kill.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Depends a bit, but an old favorite is to try out some recent fourstar additions to my roster that have a fair amount of covers but not much ISO yet. That way I can get a feel for how they'll play when leveled and decide what priority it is to level them up.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    As grindy as things have felt since CW, I've been spending as little time as possible annihilating them with my 1 cover Goblin, 3 cover IM46, and 6 cover Phoenix (all level 255).

Otherwise I tend to toss my undamaged boosted 3*s at it after I'm done clearing the hard/essential nodes. With as gross as the PvE experience has been these days, anything to get it done sooner is better.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    DTStump wrote:
    Especially in PvE, there are (still) trivial nodes that you can usually beat in just a couple of minutes. What's your favorite team/approach?

In my case I use a championed icon_vision.png and two dorks that stay behind him all the time (currently two one-cover, lvl 70, yellowtile.pngredtile.pngbluetile.png 4*s characters: icon_cyclops.png and icon_falcon.png). Just align blue (and red) for a quick kill.
    That's a good approach and I did use it for a while. These days I tend to use Vision, 3*Bullseye and Miles Morales (he is low level but I have five of his Red - he doesn't tank anything so the stars can shine but his Red is super cheap and does ~2300 damage). This way I can win fast even if there's no blue to be seen.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Now that I have a second 1-cover 5* in Rogers, I run he, BSS, and Fist. Stupid OP 5* match damage on 5 colors plus Fist's free attack tile melts down trivial nodes pretty quick.

And unlike BSS's useless blueflag.png , Rogers's redflag.png actually does enough damage at one cover to be useful in a trivial node.
  • beyonderbub
    beyonderbub Posts: 661 Critical Contributor
    Best time for me to use a couple undercovered five-stars as meat shields or for their high match damage and I might throw in a currently boosted character.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    X-23, 3*Daken/Patch, Groot. Don't have to worry about taking damage at all because these guys soak it up like nothing.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    it's the only time i get to show my 5* some love, I like OML, GG, Phoenix ... sometimes I throw in IM46 instead of Phoenix.

They are too undercovered and under leveled for PVP, and also for higher pve levels, so the poor guys are relegated to trivial nodes.

I'd run them through the prologue, but for some reason I don't want to finish the prologue and lock them all, so I've just left it as is... unwilling to lock them all out of principal.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    I seem to be of a different mind than the previous posters here. I like to use the, uhh....., less desired characters, (to put it mildly). I have at least one ability for everyone in the game, but there are some I rarely ever use. So I like to use them in trivial nodes. When I begin one, I look at my roster and ask myself, "Who have I not used in a while?". Then I use them. For example, not 10 minutes ago I used Yelena, Sentry and Cho to take out 3 level 34 goons. They may not work well together, but since it will be nigh impossible to lose the match, I use them anyway. This allows me to use my entire roster and take some of the bench warmers into the field. I admit, it is not the fastest or most optimal way to play, but trivial nodes are generally not worth that many points, so the loss is insignificant and I enjoy it. Which is, imo, kinda the point when playing a game.
  • willyswim
    willyswim Posts: 33 Just Dropped In
    Deadpool for the points, SWitch to accelerate whales, and Green Goblin with a single yellow cover to protect SWitch's countdown tile.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Always my five and six covered unleveled 5* Phx & OML with Iron Fist for his attack tile. As long as I've been playing PVEs it's all about getting thru nodes as fast as possible. 5* match damage with attack tile gets it done fast.
  • icon_ironfist.png 5 star.pngicon_wolverine.png 5 star.pngicon_jeangrey.png . Before 5 stars were introduced 3 star.pngicon_daken.png 3 star.pngicon_falcon.pngicon_ironfist.png was a fun combo, match 1 green add those strike.png tiles with fist's attack.png tile and start pumping them up with yellowtile.png .
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to use patch/daken like crazy. Now I use OML and two others to get it done quickly.

I do dream of a day we get bonuses for using as many characters as possible each day... then I would use all of the rest of my characters. I have 90+ characters that I barely use... I would love to have a reason to put them to play!
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    6-cover Silver Surver (level 270), 4 cover Phoenix (255), and Iron Fist (189). Just match damage and fist them to death. Quick and painless.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Always my five and six covered unleveled 5* Phx & OML with Iron Fist for his attack tile. As long as I've been playing PVEs it's all about getting thru nodes as fast as possible. 5* match damage with attack tile gets it done fast.
    For new cover PVE this is my philosophy too. I use OML, X-23, Daken for true healing especially at the end of a sub so I don't have to use health packs.

For non new release PVE I will play around with buffed 4* who are under leveled to see if I want to level them. I will test out teams, test out different combos to see how they play. If I am playing on a lunch break though I will break out OML since I want to clear fast so can get to all nodes though.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Depends a bit, but an old favorite is to try out some recent fourstar additions to my roster that have a fair amount of covers but not much ISO yet. That way I can get a feel for how they'll play when leveled and decide what priority it is to level them up.

This if I am not in a hurry. Its a good way to discover fun new team combinations.

But if I am in a hurry I will go with something like OML (0/1/0 makes him a decent tank, but nothing more) + IF (always great for speed grinding) + anyone who makes strike tiles.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Usually Devil Dinosaur plus whatever two characters catch my eye who I haven't used in a while. Sometime I swap Howard for DD.

Why, yes, I'm not typically a Top 100 PVE player icon_e_smile.gif
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    I seem to be of a different mind than the previous posters here. I like to use the, uhh....., less desired characters, (to put it mildly). I have at least one ability for everyone in the game, but there are some I rarely ever use. So I like to use them in trivial nodes. When I begin one, I look at my roster and ask myself, "Who have I not used in a while?". Then I use them. For example, not 10 minutes ago I used Yelena, Sentry and Cho to take out 3 level 34 goons. They may not work well together, but since it will be nigh impossible to lose the match, I use them anyway. This allows me to use my entire roster and take some of the bench warmers into the field. I admit, it is not the fastest or most optimal way to play, but trivial nodes are generally not worth that many points, so the loss is insignificant and I enjoy it. Which is, imo, kinda the point when playing a game.
    I'm the same way in events where I'm not playing competitively. If it's a release event, or I'm trying for T20 or better I go with my 5*s for speed.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    my favorite way is to have enough time to use lower, undercovered 4*s at 70 or 94 to get to know them (I've used cho, drax, miles, gwen, pun, nova, WM, bucky, venom - love seeing those in action, even if they're not the best characters...well, pun and nova are pretty good). sometimes i'll also (if I have time) go through and see who I haven't played in a loooong time, and use them. sometimes that is sentry or psylocke or 3pun. what happens many times is I'm in a time crunch and I blow through with fist/oml/anyone.
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Back when I lived in 3* land: IF/LDaken/Blade

Occasionally: IF/IM46/BSS or some other combination of IF and two 5*s (though I find OML's healing kind of slows things down)

95% of the time: SW/JG/GG
  • JangoLore
    JangoLore Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    If I'm pushing to get it done quick I will use IF/OML/PHX, otherwise I play the "who have I not used in a while" game.