Time to update the 3* champion cover rewards, right?

13»

Comments

• veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    rkd80 wrote:
    Furthermore some make zero sense, like Punisher rewarding Elektra covers.
    You havent seen Daredevil series, right?
    I understand Punisher 4* should be a reward, but he was released after the introduction of this system.
  • Tahroo
    Tahroo Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    I would expect some the current 3*'s to be altered for a more appropriate 4*, and eventually introducing things in order once they catch up the 4*'s to the 3*'s. You know, release a 3*, then a 4* that the 3* champions into, then a 5* that the 4* champions into on and on until the end of time or we all die.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    What if... All cover chains are locked in if we've already started them? New Champions follow the cover they are supposed to have post update?

Another idea... a changed character has an "improved sell rate" of 5 each colour cover, plus enough iso8 to Champion them? It's a bit harsh to start again but then we can choose to reroll if we want to go to the right 3* to 4* chain.

With the powers of hind sight I feel that instead of placeholder rewards they should have paid out Legendary recruit tokens. It probably got discussed but they didn't want to set up 5* farms that people would still hate transitioning over.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx wrote:
    cyineedsn wrote:
    rkd80 wrote:
    There are now a ton of 4* covers that are not obtainable from 3*. Furthermore some make zero sense, like Punisher rewarding Elektra covers.

I absolutely agree they should update the rewards, but to be fair Punisher and Elektra recently had a romantic fling/tryst in the comics, so it at least makes *some* sense icon_e_wink.gif

Marvel continuity is complex enough that this statement can be made about almost any two characters in this game.

3. . .2. . .1: cue all the responses saying X and Y have never interacted in the comics!

I still feel they missed a huge opportunity to make the DDP 4* event where it is XFW vs 3clops. If you win, you should get a Jean Grey cover, not a LT.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Keegan wrote:
    Nope, again. In your scenario someone is looking for compensation for something they never would have achieved. This is changing compensation that was guaranteed, exactly as I described. If you don't see the difference, then I don't know.

Not sure where you get the idea that compensation is 'guaranteed'. I don't recall seeing those words ever in the Championing system. Nor do I recall seeing words saying the rewards could never be changed at some point in the future.

They changed the daily resupply rewards to add CP when CP became available. People who had passed days where CP is now rewarded were not retroactively awarded CPs for those days. They also already established a precedent on the Championing system by changing Squirrel Girl to give Ant Man covers.

If they do make a change I suspect they'll just handle any complaints in Customer Service. Which from some of the stories you read here may or may not be worth the time filing.

KGB
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    I'm with those who say wait until the 4*s are finished (if that happens).

By the way, if you want to liken complaining about a reward you received being updated to something else later, that would actually be more akin to demanding compensation for a lottery after the reward system was updated.

"Your prizes used to be $1,000,000, $250,000, $50,000, and $10,000. I won third prize, $25,000 isn't fair even though you updated it to $25,000 three days ago and let us know about that a week before it happened. I want the $50,000!"

This is the same as "You used to give Iceman rewards for Mystique, but now I'm getting Kate Bishop covers. I demand my Iceman covers!"

Note: Disregard that the covers update may or may not be a benefit to the recipient (say they updated from Rulk to Chulk for 3* Thor instead). I recognize that Kate covers may not be a "downgrade" from Iceman for some people.

If the upcoming change is communicated with a little notice, your demand for the previous rewards is, in my opinion, invalid.

Complaints about the update to token probabilities recently were well-justified because there was zero communication. When people complained about that, they were basically met with a wall of, "We don't care." We have no reason to believe there will be any notice if the cover rewards are updated from 3* champion rewards based on precedence. Planning to get up in arms about rewards you "would have" received well past when you received the previous reward is wasting your time, effort, and energy. I was upset to see CP in the daily rewards well past when I received that reward day, but it's not worth getting bothered over - I'll never see any retroactive reward despite the fact that I could have made plans around that CP.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    STOPTHIS wrote:

There were 24 4*s to 40 3*s when R91 dropped. Now the ratio is 33 to 40.

The scheme was a mess from the git go...
    Squirrel Girl > Antman ?
    Vision > 4Cyke?
    Mystique > Iceman?
    Doom > IW?
    Fist > HB?
    Cage > KP?
    Panther > Reed?
    Witch > PX?
    3Thor > Rulk?
    Rags > X-23?

Some of these have a slight connection. Iceman and Mystique were an item for a little bit in Mike Carey's X-Men run and you know Doom wants IW. A few are silly stretches but I see what they were going for. Thor giving Thunderbolt Ross or Clone of Thor giving Clone of Wolverine.

Then there's Vision giving Cyclops. Outside of in game color schemes, I don't get it.
    It's silly but both their names have something to do with eyes.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    D3 should update the rewards, and to reimburse players, they could simple increase the sell price for a limited time. Just like how they do it if the character abilities were changed. Gives people a chance to sell and rebuild for the updated rewards.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2016
    Oh yes, they NEED to update it, but I agree with others that think they will wait until we have 42 4*s to do that at once.

Now, I don't think about any sort of "compensation". I already received the first Chulk cover from Hulk (188), but I'm not so selfish to complain if they update his rewards to another 4*; it was my option to level him above 182 and I knew what he was going to give. It's not because I already got it that others players can't be benefit from an update.
  • Spiritclaw
    Spiritclaw Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Wait till there are sufficient 4 stars, add three champion levels to all 3*s, and have each 3* character give out two different covers and each 4* character receive covers from 2 three stars. Spread the three new rewards out, but if they haven't been rewarded yet (say you are on cover 200 and one of the new rewards is cover 195) leave them un-checked and let people earn them with the next added level. No compensation needed, and balance achieved.

But only if they stop adding four stars, which seems less likely.
  • Cousin Simpson
    Cousin Simpson Posts: 1,086 Chairperson of the Boards
    Has anyone in this thread noted that when the champion system first debuted, Squirrel Girl led to Cho covers (making IIRC three 3*s that gave out Chos)? Demi changed it to Ant-Man rather quickly.

Also, the way I interpret the Punisher/Elektra connection is that they're both vigilantes(-ish, in Elektra's case) who have no reservations about using deadly force.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    STOPTHIS wrote:

There were 24 4*s to 40 3*s when R91 dropped. Now the ratio is 33 to 40.

The scheme was a mess from the git go...
    Squirrel Girl > Antman ?
    Vision > 4Cyke?
    Mystique > Iceman?
    Doom > IW?
    Fist > HB?
    Cage > KP?
    Panther > Reed?
    Witch > PX?
    3Thor > Rulk?
    Rags > X-23?

Some of these have a slight connection. Iceman and Mystique were an item for a little bit in Mike Carey's X-Men run and you know Doom wants IW. A few are silly stretches but I see what they were going for. Thor giving Thunderbolt Ross or Clone of Thor giving Clone of Wolverine.

Then there's Vision giving Cyclops. Outside of in game color schemes, I don't get it.
    It's silly but both their names have something to do with eyes.

Makes as much sense as anything else. icon_e_smile.gif