Time to update the 3* champion cover rewards, right?

rkd80
rkd80 Posts: 376
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
It seems pretty clear that when championing was rolled out everyone reacted positively to the idea that building and cultivating a 3* can lead directly to building a 4*. Sure it takes about a year to collect 100 3* covers, but it is something.

However there was a problem right off the bat, the rewards are static. Since 3* releases are done and 4* keep coming, there was going to be a misalignment and it is getting worse and worse.

There are now a ton of 4* covers that are not obtainable from 3*. Furthermore some make zero sense, like Punisher rewarding Elektra covers.

The faster this change is done the better to avoid cries for "retroactive compensation". I would add 3 additional covers just to speed up the transition and they don't have to be the same. For example IM40 can award both Hulkbuster and Warmachine covers, etc.

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    rkd80 wrote:
    It seems pretty clear that when championing was rolled out everyone reacted positively to the idea that building and cultivating a 3* can lead directly to building a 4*. Sure it takes about a year to collect 100 3* covers, but it is something.

However there was a problem right off the bat, the rewards are static. Since 3* releases are done and 4* keep coming, there was going to be a misalignment and it is getting worse and worse.

There are now a ton of 4* covers that are not obtainable from 3*. Furthermore some make zero sense, like Punisher rewarding Elektra covers.

The faster this change is done the better to avoid cries for "retroactive compensation". I would add 3 additional covers just to speed up the transition and they don't have to be the same. For example IM40 can award both Hulkbuster and Warmachine covers, etc.

Yes to the basic idea of re-aligning champion rewards (though perhaps Demiurge is waiting for the 40th 4* to make things 1:1 (or 42 I guess since dino and Howard don't count).

But adding 3 new 4* cover rewards will definitely result in lots of retroactive compensation claims. Not worth the hassle imo. Realignment will already piss some people off ("i champed 3* X just so I could get 4* Y covers as champ rewards, but now 3* X give 4* Z covers! You suck demiurge! Game deleted!")
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    rkd80 wrote:

I absolutely agree they should update the rewards, but to be fair Punisher and Elektra recently had a romantic fling/tryst in the comics, so it at least makes *some* sense icon_e_wink.gif
  • Vhailorx
    cyineedsn wrote:
    rkd80 wrote:

I absolutely agree they should update the rewards, but to be fair Punisher and Elektra recently had a romantic fling/tryst in the comics, so it at least makes *some* sense icon_e_wink.gif

Marvel continuity is complex enough that this statement can be made about almost any two characters in this game.

3. . .2. . .1: cue all the responses saying X and Y have never interacted in the comics!
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Or... Keep the rewards as they are, but raise the champion cap and include new and different 4* rewards.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    They're going to get right on this, right after they update the characters included in the LR's.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Aes, I love that chart and there are two things that jump out immediately.

The question marks obviously, but also...
    the amount of doubles.

The doubles are simply a reflection of the old 3/4* ratio at the time of championing. What really needs to be done is that for every 4* release, there should be an immediate update to a 3*. That way there wont be a massive backlog that inevitably will need to be fixed.

P.S. Yes I agree Pun and Elektra have *some* link, but no one would possibly argue that 3* Pun's most obvious reward is 4* Pun, regardless of how much sense Elektra may or may not make. Hence I propose multiple rewards. 3* Cyke can easily reward both 4* Cyke and JG.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hesitate on champing pun specifically because I fully expect him to end up on maxipun, but have 5 covers in queue and am ~halfway there on the iso right now. i'll still hold him at 182 until the changes shake out - maybe it will all settle before he gets there. I agree that every release the paired 3* champ that will be paired with the new 4 should be pulled off immediately. just leaving it like this is kinda cheesy. if they're waiting until we hit 40 to match up 1 on 1, that is way too long IMO.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe they don't want the new guys being too easy to get? That's silly. More players getting new characters means more slots means more $$$.

I've been saying that from the beginning about new release events. I'll never understand why they don't just basically give away one cover for every new release to every player. One cover is nearly useless, but requires a slot. Restricting them to 10% of players at release makes no sense to me.

Are there really that many people skipping the release event, but buying cover packs to get that one cover so they can hit that one essential node in the following heroic pve?

I always get at least t100 in release events, so this isn't me wanting something for free since I couldn't earn it. This is me understanding numbers and logic.
  • Vhailorx
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Maybe they don't want the new guys being too easy to get? That's silly. More players getting new characters means more slots means more $$$.

I've been saying that from the beginning about new release events. I'll never understand why they don't just basically give away one cover for every new release to every player. One cover is nearly useless, but requires a slot. Restricting them to 10% of players at release makes no sense to me.

Are there really that many people skipping the release event, but buying cover packs to get that one cover so they can hit that one essential node in the following heroic pve?

I always get at least t100 in release events, so this isn't me wanting something for free since I couldn't earn it. This is me understanding numbers and logic.

The only rational answer that occurs is to me is that demiurge thinks they make more money from people whaling event tokens to get the new releases than they would make in roster slot purchases. It's basically impossible for us to say, since we have no access to their play data. But it hard to imagine that a roster slot from basically everyone every 2 weeks is less profitable than multiple 40 packs from a small number of whales. The psychological power of those expiring covers is pretty damn high. . .

Demiurge: it's LONG past time to increase the distribution rate of fixed 4* cover rewards!
  • STOPTHIS
    STOPTHIS Posts: 781 Critical Contributor

There were 24 4*s to 40 3*s when R91 dropped. Now the ratio is 33 to 40.

The scheme was a mess from the git go...
    Squirrel Girl > Antman ?
    Vision > 4Cyke?
    Mystique > Iceman?
    Doom > IW?
    Fist > HB?
    Cage > KP?
    Panther > Reed?
    Witch > PX?
    3Thor > Rulk?
    Rags > X-23?

Some of these have a slight connection. Iceman and Mystique were an item for a little bit in Mike Carey's X-Men run and you know Doom wants IW. A few are silly stretches but I see what they were going for. Thor giving Thunderbolt Ross or Clone of Thor giving Clone of Wolverine.

Then there's Vision giving Cyclops. Outside of in game color schemes, I don't get it.
  • WalrusBrigade
    WalrusBrigade Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Crazy idea (and slightly highjacking) but what if the one 4* cover swapped places with the initial LT? I love the idea of the 4* progression, but at this point (with 20+ champed 3*) I have gotten exactly four 4* from champ rewards (2 FalCaps, 1 NF and Thoress).
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Some suggested thematic pairings:

grocket-->drax (gotg)
    kk-->kateye (theyre avengers or something?)
    iron fist>moon knight (vigilantes with some mystical themes)
    captain marvel>nova (they both fly, in space?)
    punisher>punmax (its the same dude!)
    colossus>quake (they both make the ground shake)
    shulk>gwen (probly some relation)
    vision>rhodey (civil war movie)
    super steve>bucky (civil war movie)
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nah. No changes. Let be just the way it is.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    My OCD wants it fixed properly, as it's an absolute mess right now. I've assumed for a while now there's some mad dash on to fill out the 4* tier that will hopefully go 1:1 like others have suggested.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    rkd80 wrote:

On the other hand, the faster this change is made, the faster they would have to change it again, as new 4*s appear! I rather have them wait until there are 40 and make one final definitive change.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pylgrim wrote:
    rkd80 wrote:

On the other hand, the faster this change is made, the faster they would have to change it again, as new 4*s appear! I rather have them wait until there are 40 and make one final definitive change.
    So you expect them to roll out a new 5* every two weeks after they're done with 4*s in 14 weeks?

You know, I'd rather not have the 4* tier top out at 40 if that's their plan.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    rkd80 wrote:

So you expect them to roll out a new 5* every two weeks after they're done with 4*s in 14 weeks?

Oh I really don't expect them to stop making 4*s at 40 (though I really don't expect them to go much higher than that, either). But once they have 40, the 1-to-1 rewards can be done smoothly.
  • Vhailorx
    Isn't it 42 pylgrim? Dino and Howard aren't supposed to be in the 'normal' distribution scheme.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    I dont see how they could change things without annoying people. Since they aren't making anymore 3*s, they could only alter rewards in the 4*s. Now, what happens to all the people who have already earned most of the champion rewards for characters that they add rewards to? Those people couldn't get the added covers.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    rkd80 wrote:

I would hope they slow down at that point O.o

This mad dash to finish the 4* tier feels like an attempt to fix a broken tier. The game probably isn't supposed to skip straight to 5*s, but that's what seems to be happening.

I'm going to be glass half full and stick to the idea that they're fast tracking the full tier out so they can work on it properly. They have a larger overall plan, screwed up a little, and are now racing to fix it.