Not fun anymore

2»

Comments

• FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    You can't retire Thrash! Thrash metal for life!

Oh trash...I guess you can retire that...but what would be left in this game if they retired trash? icon_lol.gif
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Yeah, changed downward from where they used to be.

Some stats at some levels were adjusted downward. Some stats at just as many levels were increased. And the characters now reach far higher levels; that's all buff, buff, buff. Why not be honest and talk about a nerf/BUFF ?
    AKA "nerfed". We all noticed it. Doom's purple was another one that got clobbered. We didn't get easier Story mode scaling to compensate, nosiree...

All PVE opponents, including goons, were subjected to the same rebalancing.

You and all of your opponents are on the same exponential curve in regards to match dmg and abilities. At scaling that most players see, 2* opponents' (those dang DAs ...) abilities were weakened.

Now whether the game's scaling algorithms take this exponential scaling into effect when calculating the levels of your opponents is another question. The various tests have been all over the place in that regard.
    You're being a tad disingenuous. We were all used to our 166 3*s, when boosted, doing certain amounts of damage. Now they don't do that much damage until they're much higher than 166 and boosted. Health values remained unchanged. So now all our fights using boosted 3*s take longer. That goons and 2*s also deal less damage is washed out by the fact that they have more time to deal damage since fights last longer. On top of that, 4*s and up were not subject to the same treatment, so those fights just got much harder.

I don't know at what level 3*s get back to their former power level, but I suspect it's pretty close to the new level cap. Please don't try to spin this as a 3* buff.

Level 200 or so is where it crosses the threshold. And If your character isn't boosted then it really is pure buff.
  • The Finn
    The Finn Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    If you are feeling burned out, take some time off from the game. If it's something you really enjoy you'll come back to it eventually. And if not, well then you just rid yourself of a bad habit.

I played way too obsessively way back when the game still only had 2 4*s. I was playing literally all the time and adjusting my sleep and life around the refresh times. It burned me out and I stopped for about a year and a half.

Came back a few months ago and actually went from F2P previously to spending some money. As someone that missed DDQ's introduction, championing, 5*, etc I came back to a fresh(ish?) experience.

I'm playing more than I should and maybe I will burn out again but if that happens I will just walk away again.

In the end it's a game, you should be enjoying it. If it becomes work then you should really ask yourself why you're doing that to yourself.

Cheers
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    I think a lot depends on your definition of fun icon_e_wink.gif

I for one find the grind fest that the game has currently evolved into to be a lot less appealing. Civil War was my tipping point; I missed out on the new characters and haven't received any of the subsequent characters that have followed which really hampers my ability to participate in future grind quests. Which I think I'm ok with (?) I've fallen off the wagon, and I'm content with just being a casual player from here on out. It is a slippery slope though, and I can only imagine how many other players such as myself have done the same.

The thing that really boggles my mind is what D3's endgame might be...are they waiting for the whales to tire of throwing money at new character releases to make them readily available for us poor folk in some practical way? As it stands we are just collecting characters that we will never utilize. The current methods of acquiring covers are not adequate enough, and in no way can they keep up with the rapid release of new characters.

I'm not a greedy player. I'm perfectly willing to work for my covers and I don't expect to have them immediately, but in the current climate I can't see myself covering these new characters in any meaningful way any time soon. Which is a real bummer because a lot of these new releases are cool and I would love to play around with them. Right now they are like some gilded comic that just sits in its dust jacket never to be read for fear of depreciation. Such as shame, so much love went into creating them.

I can only hope that these endless rounds of play testing are actually leading to something greater. A time when 4*s, now the biggest pool of characters, are actually given their heyday.
  • Ryudoz
    Ryudoz Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    I feel like expectation management is key. It's obvious that D3 is just going to keep cranking out characters without providing baseline increases to iso gains (outside of alliance contribution) so that the iso debt remains ludicrous. So unless you're willing to spend lots of money, you have to really pick and choose what interests you.

For me, I like collecting and feeling like I'm progressing, but the progression from 3* -> 4* is... well difficult. So I manage my time playing the game achieving that. Not trying to beat my head against the PVP wall, and picking and choosing which PVE events I want to actively participate in. Sure I could likely hit the 25 CP reward with almost every event, but why do it when I'm always just fighting Dark Avengers that are over scaled and Maggia goons? It's not worth the stress.

Look at this game like tending a plant. Look at it a bit, water it, don't freak out if it dries up in the sun. You can always get another.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    mohio wrote:
    All that said and I know tons of people who have transitioned from not-even-maxed 3* to maxed 4* in the past 6 months, so it's not like it's a debilitating condition or anything.

lol. "tons".
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree quite a bit with the op. The game feels stagnant. And, for me, I think a lot of it is the absence of any upward mobility. My roster is getting wider, but it isn't getting better. I've got Spider Gwen, Punisher, Howard, and Quake at one cover each. Winter Soldier, War Machine, Ghost Rider at two.

Whenever I win a new 4*, I can't help but think, "Oh look, another character that might be useful to me in 2019.". At least with 3*s there was a chance they'd be useful in a reasonable amount of time. But for new 4*s, it will literally take years before they're any better than my 3* champs are now.
  • DaSal
    DaSal Posts: 76 Match Maker
    People don't play this game, they grind. That sounds appealing. I know how much time I put in just to get into top 100, I can only imagine what the top 10 people do.

With the shift to 4* and 5*'s, why isn't there a 3* token? LT's are hard to come by so it's very disappointing to get a 4* cover that you can't use. With so many 4* characters, 4* covers should be more plentiful.

Update rewards. fight4thedream had a great suggestion on running 4 levels of the same event. Choose your level based on roster strength. The higher the roster strength, the better the rewards. Makes sense that someone playing the 3* event should get better rewards than a noob playing the 1* event.
  • DaSal
    DaSal Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Wow! When a veteran player like Dauthi decides to leave the game, you would hope that the Devs take notice and realize they need to improve the product ASAP!
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    DaSal wrote:
    Wow! When a veteran player like Dauthi decides to leave the game, you would hope that the Devs take notice and realize they need to improve the product ASAP!
    Is/was he a whale? If the answer is no they don't care
    F2P vets are not assets