Not fun anymore

DaSal
DaSal Posts: 76 Match Maker
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
This game isn't fun anymore. Many don't want to admit it because of the large amounts of time and money invested. It has become very repetitive and seems to be moving backwards, not forward.

I've been playing a long time (888 days), all my 3*'s are Championed but only one 4* is. Hulk Buster, and just this past week. Lately, I find I've been playing more and enjoying it less. The rewards just don't keep pace with a growing roster. Yesterday, in my daily supply, I got a Standard token. Big whoop.

Perhaps the Devs should spend more time fixing the games problems rather than cranking out new characters at an insane rate. 7 characters in the last 9 weeks!

I've had seven players leave my alliance since the beginning of June and we are a top 100 PvE alliance! General burnout and unhappiness at the direction the game is taking.

There are many excellent suggestions on these Forum pages but, sadly, they go largely ignored by the Devs.

I' ll play DDQ, take my 3* and ISO and be content with the reward received for the time invested. Unless things improve, that's all the effort I'm willing to put in. DaSal

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Uh-oh....you said something negative about the game, I guess that means this thead is doomed to be deleted like the "I deleted MPQ" thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46166) that simply disappeared the other day, rather than getting moved.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    I dont think game moves backward... DEVs made few great steps (champions, sell prices) to improve enjoyment from game. On the other side, ISO economy became unbearable and there are no new game mods (except for guild events, but they are extremely rare... if they were like PvE - one by another - i would be much happier).
  • brisashi
    brisashi Posts: 418 Mover and Shaker
    I don't agree, I've been playing since the first week of release and I think the game is more fun now than it has ever been.

The championing system has basically made every non-one star cover a win for me. As for character releases, it has always been about the same for years now, the only exceptions being the Ultron and Civil War events.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    The champ system is also came with a huge nerf to 3 stars though, so it's not all sunshine and roses that people pretend it to be.

They just moved the goal posts for those characters, again, for a few scraps that keep us begging for more pourage.

Likewise is on forselling aa max champed 2 star, which I just realized a simple champed 3 star should give about an equal amount for selling.

We're basically Ramsey Bolton ' s dogs. Yeah, we get feed every now and then for the support we them, but it is something that has leaves a rather bad taste in your mouth.

Character releases are fun, it's the not being able to find a stable way of covering them that isn't.
  • veny
    veny Posts: 834 Critical Contributor
    smkspy wrote:
    The champ system is also came with a huge nerf to 3 stars though, so it's not all sunshine and roses that people pretend it to be.
    What? Nerf? Another potential 100 levels is a nerf? Nah, nonsense... yes, 2*s were nerfed compared to higher qualities, but thats all.
    What actually nerfed 3*s was introducing 5*s, but this happened long before champ system.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    I can definitely sympathize with burnout, but I am an advocate that if you're not having fun, don't do it. No one owes this game anything, and vice versa, so those who aren't happy should find something that they do like. That being said, I've found personally that success is exponential. Once you break through that glass ceiling, things go fast. I find myself enjoying the game more and more, and being able to accomplish tasks much easier as my roster has gone from barely having any 166 to having multiple 4* champs. Likewise, I went from a group that was struggling to get t100, to us being able to get 2 groups to t100, to now consolidating with another group to form a t15. I find enjoyment in this success. Sometimes the game can feel like a bit of a chore, but its a chore I enjoy, much like my father cleans the house for stress relief. To each his own I guess. I hope you do find something you enjoy OP, and don't worry about needing to do something or other. If you want to quit, do it whole hog. You'll probably be happier in the end. If you feel the need to keep playing, then maybe that tells you something about your true mindset on the game.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* characters took a big across-the-board nerf to their ability damages when the champion system was introduced. 2* characters did too. They kept the same old max numbers in place but moved them to the end of the new spectrum. I.e. the old 3* Torch at 166 did .. 4500? damage on his red at 5 covers when he was boosted. Now you have to get your Torch to 266 base level to see that same result when he's boosted. It really clobbered the ability of boosted 166 3* teams to take down 4* teams in PVP, among other things.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    veny wrote:
    smkspy wrote:
    What? Nerf? Another potential 100 levels is a nerf? Nah, nonsense... yes, 2*s were nerfed compared to higher qualities, but thats all.
    What actually nerfed 3*s was introducing 5*s, but this happened long before champ system.
    Potential 100 levels was good and the introduction of the rewards for each level when the character is champed is also good. However the 3* nerf exists. Level 168+ of any 3* character does not hit as hard as it did before the champ system was introduced, the hp stayed the same, but not the attack power.
  • thisone
    thisone Posts: 655 Critical Contributor
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Uh-oh....you said something negative about the game, I guess that means this thead is doomed to be deleted like the "I deleted MPQ" thread (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46166) that simply disappeared the other day, rather than getting moved.

Topics like that don't belong on the forums....

They deserve a wider audience, like on Google play store or whatever platform you are on. Don't forget the one star.

True story, within minutes of a one star rating an automated message will be left about giving them feedback to help improve the game... although I've yet to see them actually acknowledge any feedback. But they absolutely care about ratings.

Maybe we can use this information about ratings and feedback to help improve the game? But how? Hmmm.. let's think!
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meander wrote:
    Likewise, I went from a group that was struggling to get t100, to us being able to get 2 groups to t100, to now consolidating with another group to form a t15. I find enjoyment in this success. Sometimes the game can feel like a bit of a chore, but its a chore I enjoy, much like my father cleans the house for stress relief. To each his own I guess.

I appreciate your enthusiasm. May I inquire - how much time do you spend on this game?

That's probably a topic that's poll-worthy. There might already be one. I'm on the OP's side - grinding out nodes for placement and trying to reach alliance PvP requirements burned me out. There's also some life stuff that prevents me from playing as much as I used to. I'm still playing, because at the core it's a nice puzzle game with addictive elements. I'm hoping to get back into it when my life gets less busy, but at that point I'll have to evaluate whether it's worth the investment (temporally and monetarily) to get back into it.
  • The bugs are freaking ridiculous. And we all deserve a ton of free stuff ASAP. I'm sick of getting double hit by some characters. Hit before the animation then hit after its a joke. I got hit while shielded. We spend too much for this ****. When people complain about bugs fix it. I'm almost ready to give up on this game after this last update.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* ability stats beyond 166 were changed,
    Yeah, changed downward from where they used to be. AKA "nerfed". We all noticed it. Doom's purple was another one that got clobbered. We didn't get easier Story mode scaling to compensate, nosiree...
    Stop whining about imagined nerfs and work on work on tapping into those new levels of power! icon_e_biggrin.gif
    I've gotten one champ to 183 in however long it's been now. Only 83 more covers to go icon_razz.gif
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, changed downward from where they used to be.

Some stats at some levels were adjusted downward. Some stats at just as many levels were increased. And the characters now reach far higher levels; that's all buff, buff, buff. Why not be honest and talk about a nerf/BUFF ?
    AKA "nerfed". We all noticed it. Doom's purple was another one that got clobbered. We didn't get easier Story mode scaling to compensate, nosiree...

All PVE opponents, including goons, were subjected to the same rebalancing.

You and all of your opponents are on the same exponential curve in regards to match dmg and abilities. At scaling that most players see, 2* opponents' (those dang DAs ...) abilities were weakened.

Now whether the game's scaling algorithms take this exponential scaling into effect when calculating the levels of your opponents is another question. The various tests have been all over the place in that regard.
    You're being a tad disingenuous. We were all used to our 166 3*s, when boosted, doing certain amounts of damage. Now they don't do that much damage until they're much higher than 166 and boosted. Health values remained unchanged. So now all our fights using boosted 3*s take longer. That goons and 2*s also deal less damage is washed out by the fact that they have more time to deal damage since fights last longer. On top of that, 4*s and up were not subject to the same treatment, so those fights just got much harder.

I don't know at what level 3*s get back to their former power level, but I suspect it's pretty close to the new level cap. Please don't try to spin this as a 3* buff.
  • dsds

Some stats at some levels were adjusted downward. Some stats at just as many levels were increased. And the characters now reach far higher levels; that's all buff, buff, buff. Why not be honest and talk about a nerf/BUFF ?
    AKA "nerfed". We all noticed it. Doom's purple was another one that got clobbered. We didn't get easier Story mode scaling to compensate, nosiree...

All PVE opponents, including goons, were subjected to the same rebalancing.

You and all of your opponents are on the same exponential curve in regards to match dmg and abilities. At scaling that most players see, 2* opponents' (those dang DAs ...) abilities were weakened.

Now whether the game's scaling algorithms take this exponential scaling into effect when calculating the levels of your opponents is another question. The various tests have been all over the place in that regard.

It's not a buff when the 3* characters before the champion update could never reach level 266. So it doesn't really matter what damage 3* characters above 266 are doing because we were never able to reach it before. It does matter what the damage is for characters over 166 because we had the numbers before. So if they were less, then it is a nerf.

This nerf has negatively affected game play in all pve events for all players
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    3* characters took a big across-the-board nerf to their ability damages when the champion system was introduced. 2* characters did too. They kept the same old max numbers in place but moved them to the end of the new spectrum. I.e. the old 3* Torch at 166 did .. 4500? damage on his red at 5 covers when he was boosted. Now you have to get your Torch to 266 base level to see that same result when he's boosted. It really clobbered the ability of boosted 166 3* teams to take down 4* teams in PVP, among other things.

3* Torch red at 266 does 4173 dmg.

3* Torch at 166 hits for 3390, just like it always has. Pre-R91, when featured in PVP, and buffed to 290, his red hit for 4500ish.

3* ability stats beyond 166 were changed, those below 166 were not.

They now reach much higher levels, and are far stronger at their new peak.

Stop whining about imagined nerfs and work on work on tapping into those new levels of power! icon_e_biggrin.gif

I disagree with this aesth. While it's true that 166 3*s are the same as they always were, and it's also true that max boosted/max champed 3*s are more powerful than ever, the reality is that the VAST majority of players are still at or below Level 200 for even their top 3*s. And the loss of strength for boosted 3*s from a base level around 166 is both real and significant. Especially when playing against boosted 4*s and 5*s. The ability of a pure 3* roster to compete in the PVP endgame, or grind over-leveled PVE nodes was substantially reduced when R91 hit. That affected an awful lot of people. And the change was made without any warning. Demiurge didn't even acknowledge the change at all until the players started doing the math.

The fact that the 'nerf' disappears as soon as you collect 50 or 60 covers for any given 3* was (and is) very little comfort for players who are unable to participate in higher-end PVP play with their current rosters (and have a hard time building 4*s since 4* progression is almost entirely RNG if you can't hit 1k regularly).

TC: If you don't enjoy the game any more, you should definitely take a break. I remember the exhilaration I felt when I stepped back from competitive play and realized that I didn't HAVE to grind some awful PVP event for rewards that I didn't especially need and that wouldn't progress my roster much at all. (and yes, I know I never *had* to grind; but who wants to let their alliance down?).
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Calnexin wrote:
    Meander wrote:
    Likewise, I went from a group that was struggling to get t100, to us being able to get 2 groups to t100, to now consolidating with another group to form a t15. I find enjoyment in this success. Sometimes the game can feel like a bit of a chore, but its a chore I enjoy, much like my father cleans the house for stress relief. To each his own I guess.

I appreciate your enthusiasm. May I inquire - how much time do you spend on this game?

That's probably a topic that's poll-worthy. There might already be one. I'm on the OP's side - grinding out nodes for placement and trying to reach alliance PvP requirements burned me out. There's also some life stuff that prevents me from playing as much as I used to. I'm still playing, because at the core it's a nice puzzle game with addictive elements. I'm hoping to get back into it when my life gets less busy, but at that point I'll have to evaluate whether it's worth the investment (temporally and monetarily) to get back into it.

All in all I probably play around 3 hours a day. Some in the morning as I'm eating breakfast and still waking up, some during my lunch break at work, and some after I put the kids to bed. Some days its more, some its less.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not going to go back and check the previous threads, but someone looked it up and it was around 32 or 33 covers needed to get back to the old boosted numbers. I suspect non-payers are only really hitting that number around now, so they've been fighting with underpowered toons for the past 6 months. It absolutely impacted 3* players in a heavily 4* metagame.

All that said and I know tons of people who have transitioned from not-even-maxed 3* to maxed 4* in the past 6 months, so it's not like it's a debilitating condition or anything.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker

"It's only a nerf for the first year or two - then you will likely have enough champion levels for it to be a buff! Isn't that wonderful!"
    icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • dsds
    Well to be honest, it is pretty major. It's great that people have transitioned so quickly, yet the transition is a lottery. You can have 5 covers of a certain color and get stuck. So the only sure way to transition to a 4* roster quickly is to brute force it with money.

3*, if you play enough, you will get them eventually, not so much with 4*. So all of sudden making 4* more powerful by nerfing 3* has had a pretty big effect. Not to mention that the gap in progress is so much bigger between 3* player and 4* players considering in the last few months 4* rosters where getting all the top rewards in pvp.
  • snlf25
    snlf25 Posts: 947 Critical Contributor
    Is it just me or do these threads get a lot more plentiful when they run these God forsaken heroic PvEs? Seriously devs, the Dark Avengers **** blow and heroics make them blow even more. Retire this thrash already, please!