R103 bug: damage number display timing

CrookedKnight
CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
Since upgrading to R103, I've noticed some new weirdness with the timing of in-battle messages and damage reports.

When using a power, sometimes the damage number will appear in front of a team's lead character about a second before their health total decreases. With AOE attacks, this means the number appears in front of the lead character first, and then in front of their teammates an instant later.

(Note: here, "Lead" here means the character occupying the center position in the pre-battle formation, not the one at the front of the fight in any given round. For instance, when I use Whiteout on Bullseye's team in the Hunt node Bullseye III, Bullseye's damage number displays first no matter who I'm targeting.)

When using an AOE power that will down an enemy, sometimes the "[character] IS DOWNED" message appears as soon as I press the button to use the power, instead of when the animation finishes. This is similar but not identical to an R102 bug involving powers that target specific tiles, since this is happening with powers that don't affect tiles at all, e.g. Whiteout again.

Comments

• _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sounds like the timings for various events tied to the board finally went FUBAR.

Pair this with the other R103 bug where some animations sometimes play much faster than they should, and the R101 bug where the banners for both passive skill pips and active skill usage would sometimes be skipped outright and it ends up looking like the game has well and truly become unhinged.

Well; the fact that it's slowly devolving into a bloody visible mess atleast has one silver lining: it means the devs can no longer ignore the issue(s) and will have to start addressing them at a much more fundamental level.
    (And maybe rehire the software testers they fired before R101 went out. icon_razz.gif)
  • Forerunner
    Forerunner Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Not only the damage number is displayed with a weird timing.
    When you down the first and second team members with a power the message "character is downed" is displayed before the animation of the power. It doesn't happen with the last team member

I've seen it happen with Punishers retribution and Black widows Sniper powers.
  • Sometimes the damage number does NOT appear either when dealing or taking damage. I'm playing on Steam PC Windows 8.1. Please fix this!
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Sometimes the damage number does NOT appear either when dealing or taking damage. I'm playing on Steam PC Windows 8.1. Please fix this!

Moon Knight's green, for example, does not display how much damage it is doing. Occurring on Android.
  • RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Forerunner wrote:
    Not only the damage number is displayed with a weird timing.
    When you down the first and second team members with a power the message "character is downed" is displayed before the animation of the power. It doesn't happen with the last team member

I've seen it happen with Punishers retribution and Black widows Sniper powers.

It happens with KK's aoe also. Had it happen many, many times tonight while finishing up the PvE event.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    This would be the perfect time for a reprise of simonsez's modern day classic. I'll have to paraphrase:

Once again we get bugs that are immediately apparent to anyone just playing the game.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    We have always been at war with order of operations.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    We always war at been ha--*5-second delay*--ve order with operations of.
  • Jasonzakibe
    Jasonzakibe Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Don't things seem, faster though? Did they do something to speed things up, maybe push calculations sooner, and these are just results of that?
  • BlackSheep101
    Matches do not any faster to me. I've seen claims that some multi-countdown abilities like Loki's go much faster, but for some reason expiring Countdown For What? tiles still need a banner explaining why they're disappearing.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    It seems really slow when you fire a power, it declares the enemy down, then the power animation goes off, then the -4000 health appears, THEN the character health bar actually drops to zero and become "downed".
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Don't things seem, faster though? Did they do something to speed things up, maybe push calculations sooner, and these are just results of that?

My money is on run-away multi-threading. One of their rockstar-devs must have refactored the code to remove a few 'unnecessary' thread synchronizations.

And as usual: "most under-programmers-stand not do multi-program-threade--- **CRASH**"
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    This bug is doing my head in.
  • My game will say "Ninja is downed," THEN it will show the graphic of my guy doing the smackdown, THEN it will show the damage numbers. During area attacks, such as when my team got Reality Crushed, some of the damage numbers will appear before others. If my team is taking the same damage at the same time, shouldn't it show all my team's damage at the same time? Sometimes the damage number will not even appear.
  • Kilwrath
    Kilwrath Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    I'm seeing this too.

- Sometimes the damage from an enemy power attack doesn't display over my hero's head at all.

- Sometimes my attacks show the result of the attack (takes the hero out usually) before the power's action and animation display.

This is very disruptive to the new normal flow of play.

iOS 9.3.2, iPad Air 2 or iPhone 5
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Somewhat related for a while now during the wave battles. The 1st wave announcement doesn't play until after you defeat that first wave. Then when it does happens it fires after the announcement of the 2nd wave so that the 2nd flashes by so far you can't see it and only see the 1st. I can't believe that's been messed up so long and now it seems to be spreading to other areas. Before you know it the game is gonna announce victory or defeat before you load the match icon_rolleyes.gif
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems to have gotten worse for me; just had Psylocke hit OBW with Psychic Knife in DDQ and I didn't even get a damage amount display.
  • BlackSheep101
    On some powers, the damage displays right when you activate it so by the time the animation is done the numbers are gone.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Possibly related to this, I've noticed that some reaction abilities are firing when the last enemy is downed. For example, if Phoenix is the last enemy, she is creating a resurrection countdown tile when you down her. It's harmless, the battle still ends normally, but it's a weird change.
  • BlackSheep101
    I noticed Phoenix trying to create a countdown when she's downed last well before r103. I think she triggers, like a Teisatsu, just before final damage is dealt, so the rules about passives not triggering after a match is over don't cover her.