Enemy Of The State Test: Some Early Results

Comments

• wgasadude
    wgasadude Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Groan - end of one wave node got out of control on me, missed perfect by 150ish points. Of course there were 11 perfects in my slice.

Sigh.
  • dsds
    dsds Posts: 526
    So what about the guys that finished first? Isn't it unfair? First rank only received the 1st rank rewards whereas the other guys that finished 2nd, 3rd, etc. got the 2nd, 3rd, etc reward plus the 3 x23 covers? Unless they haven't distributed the rewards yet.

If they delayed the rewards til monday, that is a long time to wait after event to get them.
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Nice to see the data on exactly how many "super-competitive" players they are, but there's a number more important to me.

What was the lowest score, across the board, that still made top 100? As a percentage of total score? What was the highest?

Because while it's clear from this test that the number of "perfects" is in a range D3 is happy with, the overall amount of play required for t100 seems crazy high, just like with all the other New PvE tests. And unless there's an indication that new char releases are gonna be handled differently than Top 100 Placement only...
  • fun_and_gun
    fun_and_gun Posts: 120 Tile Toppler
    I find it quite impressive that 60 of those 329 got together for the top 3 alliance finish
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder what percentage of these 329 are on line? My guess is at least half.
  • ruyen
    ruyen Posts: 60 Match Maker
    Arphaxad wrote:
    "...it looks like a lot of players felt that this system was successful in creating a 'play at your own pace' experience."

This is not true. The only way this system creates a 'play at your own pace' system is if it is progression only. Because of placement reward it became a race to finish, which is not 'play at your own pace'.

I would like to see a dev speak on the idea of progression only rewards. Tell us if this is something they are considering or not. Either way let us know where story mode is heading.

Also, is there a chance that the tests show a change is not going to happen. Is there a chance that we keep the current system going forward?

Please reply Devs. This is what we want, please start listening.

Keeping the design of this test, a perfect score can be full progression, other covers can come somewhere along the way.
  • Akari
    Akari Posts: 492 Mover and Shaker
    As one of the 34 that did get 1st, I appreciate this a lot! I couldn't see farther down than 10 in my bracket, but I'm sure more than 10 got full points. It was hyper competitive from the first sub all the way through.

I do enjoy the play at your pace idea.... if the placing rewards are removed. Otherwise, it's far too demanding. Also, the scaling could be tweaked. The final nodes all ended up being higher than my entire roster.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Interesting numbers. So if .3% got maximum points, then 99.7% really did play at their own pace. I'm definitely in the 99.7%, although if this were a permanent change, I would go for max points on other events, especially 3 day events with no waves and where I can use OML. Nothing against wave nodes, I like them, they're just time consuming.

Now I'm interested to see what the next test is.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pants1000 wrote:

Me too. People complain abut these tests, but I find them interesting and I play more when I'm interested. I wouldn't mind if every single pve event was played with different rules.

Can you even imagine the forum butthurt if they implemented a system where there was a different set of rules each time, each with it's own perks and flaws. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am scared, the future of PvE really scares me.

First, no mention to the stupid scale for the better rosters.
    No mention also that all those people that got max score had to do a much bigger grind than before (and faster).
    No mention either about getting to clear some of the nodes 7+ times to get the good rewards.

The impression I have is, they are not going to fix the scaling. Right now it is in a sweet spot for 3s players which it is the biggest group of people, so the rest of us we are not important.

Then for the ties, probably the worst part is in subs with a lot of veterans, so again not that important, but so no more problems appear they will probably add even more clears, so the amount of work will be even bigger (that or raise the scaling even more).

I really really hope I am wrong, but this new PvE is more and more focused on casual and new players, and doesnt care at all about the old players icon_e_sad.gif
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Arphaxad wrote:
    "...it looks like a lot of players felt that this system was successful in creating a 'play at your own pace' experience."

This is not true. The only way this system creates a 'play at your own pace' system is if it is progression only. Because of placement reward it became a race to finish, which is not 'play at your own pace'.

I would like to see a dev speak on the idea of progression only rewards. Tell us if this is something they are considering or not. Either way let us know where story mode is heading.

Also, is there a chance that the tests show a change is not going to happen. Is there a chance that we keep the current system going forward?

Meh,

It really was play at your own pace. 5 of the subs didn't really matter to the final results, so most people could actually spread out their play throughout the entire 24 hrs. There was no optimal grind or play pattern, so you could actually play the nodes in any order you desired. As a result, you could play the trivial modes in 2 min or so while waiting in line, then come back 15 min later to hit a different node with no loss in points.

For a lot of people, this means they can play much more casually vs dedicating 30min every 8hrs to do a clear. I would agree that aggregate play time went up, but most people don't notice this because they can fit play times into much shorter breaks.

Once you make the realization that the only important sub is the last sub, you can play the other subs incredibly casually without risking your position in the last sub.

Yes, I agree that they need to better implement a tie brake system, but overall it was a much more casual experience.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    udonomefoo wrote:
    Pants1000 wrote:

Me too. People complain abut these tests, but I find them interesting and I play more when I'm interested. I wouldn't mind if every single pve event was played with different rules.

Can you even imagine the forum butthurt if they implemented a system where there was a different set of rules each time, each with it's own perks and flaws. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Almost like a puzzle..... icon_e_wink.gif
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    People keep saying that they're wrong in stating that "a lot of players felt that this system was successful in creating a 'play at your own pace' experience.". But they aren't. Ignoring the fact that they have data like when people played that might show that many people spread their playing all throughout the day instead of at 8 hour intervals, less than half a percent of players actually cleared every node. It's very likely that less than one percent of players overall actually felt the need to play every node (whether they actually ended up doing it or not). It's entirely possible that a large amount of the people that finish closer to the middle of the pact actually did feel like they could play whenever they wanted, it's just that the top 1% didn't (and this forum is primarily comprised of the top 1% of people that play this game).
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    Unghhh you guys are soo close now! If, as this compensation shows, you agree that a limited amount of points obtained by playing at one's own pace should grant the best rewards to everyone who played enough to reached the maximum amount of points possible... it's just a little shove now to move into an all-progression-like reward scheme!
  • timbopp
    timbopp Posts: 88
    Fantastic news and very much appreciated.

I finished 4th in the first 48hr sub then 1st in every sub except the last which I finished 2nd so obviously I finished 2nd overall.
    I had a lot of fun and an easy time of it with champed and boosted Jean, Quake, Scarlet Witch, Hulkbuster and Iron Fist (and a level 360 OML) so I wasn't too upset until I peeked at 1st place's roster and saw a vastly inferior roster. Over half way through final sub I had a lead of 10K points but was quickly overtaken by this much weaker team whilst I slogged it way against massively powered-up wave nodes. These bonus covers take away that disappointment but scaling is a major factor that needs to be addressed for this pve format, unless you implement the 'max points gets 1st place rewards' (just let us know if you do next time please).

I definitely agree that this style of pve will be 'play at your own pace'. Although I ground it out at the start this time I did observe that generally top 10 filled up about 2/3rds the way through each sub. As I am generally content with top 50 in subs for non-new characters I would have plenty of time to spread out my play.
  • Phumade
    Potentially, they could just modify the tier to say.

Max Score = 2 4* covers.

and eliminate the 4* from the placement tier and expanding the 3* range to compensate. Or they could replace the 4* covers with 4* iso awards.

Overall they go from giving 16 4* to on avg 20 4*.

They could control the number of people achieving max score by tweaking scaling on their end.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Phumade wrote:

Max Score = 2 4* covers.

and eliminate the 4* from the placement tier and expanding the 3* range to compensate. Or they could replace the 4* covers with 4* iso awards.

They could control the number of people achieving max score by tweaking scaling on their end.

So making scaling even harder when the second biggest complaint about this run was that scaling was already too hard?
  • Phaentom
    Phaentom Posts: 111 Tile Toppler
    I won my slice and I absolutely hated this test. If you wanted the best rewards you had to race to get through every sub which is not the definition of play when you want. If you're a casual player then this was probably perfect for you. If you're the type that wants to get the best rewards this was far worse then clear, wait 8hrs, wait 8hrs, then grind the last 2-2.5hrs. The only way this type of PvE event would be good is to just get rid of the placement rewards and just make them point based. Like break them down by % of max points.

100% 3 X-23 covers, 3 Mohawk covers, 3k isos, 100hps
    90-99% 2 X-23 covers, 2 Mohawk covers, 2.5k isos, 75hps
    80-89% 1 X-23 cover, 2 Mohawk covers, 2k isos, 50hps
    70-79% 1 X-23 cover, 1 Mohawk cover, 1.5k isos, 25hps
    60-69% 0 X-23 cover, 1 Mohawk cover, 1k isos, 0hps
    1-59% 0 X-23 cover, 0 Mohawk cover, 500 isos, 0hps, 2 - 2* Cap covers( I think that was the 2* cover for this event)
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    I missed this thread until a friend pointed it out to me. This event was a really miserable grind, and while the extra covers are great (my X-23 will finally be higher level than my XPool, so she'll tank purple. Yay!) and much-appreciated, it still wasn't worth it. The wave nodes, especially, were really awful when they got to maximum difficulty.

But I do thank the devs for the gesture, and, like others, am really glad to see the numbers shared. I would love to see more of that in the future.

(And as a side note, it appears that the sorting within an alliance, for tied scores, is ASCII-based alphabetical order. Which is to say, case-sensitive order, with majuscules sorted before minuscules. Just in case anyone cares.)
  • Phumade
    Phumade wrote:

Max Score = 2 4* covers.

So making scaling even harder when the second biggest complaint about this run was that scaling was already too hard?

They are definitely at the phase where they are be able to affect the scaling curve based upon where your roster is at. The levels were hard for sure and should be tweaked a bit. But overalll, the scaling on the non wave nodes was pretty accurate for a 10 cover 5* roster. I suspect wave node scaling could be adjusted a bit but overall it wasn't bad at all. Most people are complaining about the scaling as applied to the wave nodes, not necessarily the scaling overall.