Crash of the Titans Cycle 3: Ant-Man

Options

Comments

• PUM_SPAK
    PUM_SPAK Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yes! I made it through on my sixth try, with 2/2/4 Ant-Man lvl 133 - very challenging.

To quote DrNitroMan from the 2015 Cycle 1 thread:

bluecrit.png At level 120, all the ant-man special tiles can do enough damage over time to kill Jean
    bluecrit.png At level 120, there isn't much hope to survive to any of her powers (passive included)

Therefore it's doable, but you mustn't fail in denying green and purple. An error will kill you... and a bad board will too!
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    11th try got it for me. 1/5/3 level 127 Ant-Man, brought +2 B/P +1 all AP.

Interesting to me that my purple and yellow are what won it for me. I never once fired Grow (in ANY of those 11 matches!). I never even had the AP to fire Grow on blue or purple because there was always purple or green somewhere to have to deny. Meanwhile, I managed to fire yellow three times in my winning attempt...

The LT yielded icon_antman.pngyellowflag.png ... it's like the game knew what my MVP was for this match.
  • to gun
    to gun Posts: 17
    Options
    2/1/4 level 152. The covers from civil war event really helped. Got this on my 3rd try. Pulled a Thing green
  • mrPuzzleQuester
    mrPuzzleQuester Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Took 14 tries but managed to clear it with some luck, boosts (2+ p/b & r/y + 50% p/b dmg), and a 2/1/3 lvl 131 with 1k hp to spare. Think I got yellow off 3 times and purple twice. I prioritized denying her purple and green over matching for myself - with the attack/ants tiles there was consistent damage and I held her off from collecting enough to hit me with a power. Took a fair amount of luck to beat her but got her down to < 1000 in two other losing efforts. Good luck everyone.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's a tremendous help when an opponent with a passive opts to collect that color before their active colors. I wound up using a blue Grow (10k damage!) when JG had under 2k left. It was a very blue-heavy board, but she collected as much as I did, which made it easy to limit her green and purple.
  • dswan3rd
    dswan3rd Posts: 205 Tile Toppler
    Options
    3rd try, 5/4/3, LVL 156 - first match she got a cascade into tons of green and the second match I got a "lucky" l-shaped match 5 and subsequent critical and stun gave her the purple she needed

+50% dmg B/P, +2 B/P, +2 R/Y

got a icon_carnage.pnggreenflag.png with the token, but mine is already 4/0/5, so 1000 iso8big.png
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5th try with a 3/3/2, Level 132 Ant-Man. Used P/B & G/B +50% damage and P/B +2 AP. Got a lucky, green-free board and beat her to collecting purple so she never fired a power. Got a yellow Thor.
  • bobbyfish
    bobbyfish Posts: 299
    Options
    First time with 5/5/3 lvl150, all very straightforward with an early purple.

Got yet another icon_nickfury.png so I might have to champ him just to break the curse. Need 130k to do it though
  • CFacto
    CFacto Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    Pretty shocked to complete it with my Level 90 2/0/1. 100% match boost and +2 all AP.

So lucky... Managed to deny green and purple almost completely. She didn't get a single power off.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm currently 0-6 with a 111 2/2/3 Ant-Man. I've cascaded into a match-5 in EVERY attempt so far.

Usually, I go 4 or 5 attempts in these Crash of the Titans matchups before lucking into a match-5. The one time I don't want them, they keep falling on me out of the sky. I almost want to keep repeating this all day just to see how far my bad luck will go.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Got first try with 5/3/4 150. Was close, Jean had me down to 326 hp, but lucky I had ants ants ants going and ot finished her off.

Ironically, I got my 13th Ant Man cover from the LT.
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I struggled with this one. But I'm blaming that on refusing to use boosts. Finally got it on my 8th attempt. One of those was a fail on my part, as I had gathered enough purple AP for Grow to down her, but I thought I still needed some more attack tiles. Then she matched away my trap tile, which gave her enough for Mind Over Matter. Facepalm...

I got a black Mr. F, That'll put em at 3/0/10! Double facepalm...
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have made it in the 8th try with my 2/5/3 Ant-Man (level 130). In the beginning I had some really bad boards (JG launched their green and purple in the third and fourth round). Finally I had a good board and downed JG with a combination of AM's yellow and purple.

The LT gave icon_carnage.pngblackflag.png which put him to 2/1/0.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Continuing from a few posts above -- leveling my 2/2/3 Ant-Man from 111 to 133 made a big difference. All of the sudden it turned into a more even match, where I was actually doing decent damage.

The first attempt at 133 I fell into yet another match-5 on the second turn, which wrecked the rest of the game, but the next two attempts were neck and neck, where I was able to deny green and purple pretty well, and eventually got enough strike and attack tiles on the board to down her.

My reward: yellowflag.pngicon_starlord.png (now 2/1/5) - which will be useful for the next CotT.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My icon_antman.png is 5/3/5 L152. Still took 7 tries, 5 unboosted, 2 boosted with +2 all, +2b/p, +50% b/p match boost. This is one of the more board dependent crashes with an extra bit of difficulty because a bad cascade can end you. Not as ridiculous as the xfw crash but up there in difficulty.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Went back to bed after the earlier tries.

First try after waking up, I first finished off the 'regular' DDQ nodes for another 2000 ISO, and then leveled Ant-Man to 140 (I had leveled him to 130 prior to trying the first time, as previously noted).

I STILL should have lost, but for two things:

1) Jean was sitting on 8 purple and 9 green and ignored matches in both those colors to match blue. Twice. Breathing room!
    2) Apparently the damage Grow does doubled somewhere between level 130 and 140. Well, not quite DOUBLED, but went from 2600 or so to around 4300. Took it from "for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee" to "victory!" before she could use her finally-acquired green to continue rolling in my misery.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Beat it with a level 188 3/3/3 Antman on second try, no boosts.

Would have won first time but forgot who I was playing and made a match 5 that screwed up the match for me.

Second match I was in cruise control....matching purple and green to deny Jean her powers while spawning ANTS! and Pym Particles. Would have been no challenge except for a late match 5 cascade that dropped and hurt me bad. Won with like 600 health left as she was able to collect AP during my stun and blast me twice.

As long as you deny her green and purple, it is an easy match assuming you have enough levels and/or covers to deal damage. His blue power is about useless unless she happens to get protect tiles out. The random match 5 cascade is one of the biggest dangers facing her as it can lose you a match. First match was my mistake as I made the match not thinking just habit. Second one though was random and almost cost me the match, thankfully I was setting pretty good before it happened.
  • joaoleal
    joaoleal Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Level 111 antman@2/1/2

It took me about 20 tries, no boosts. Basically deny green and purple and be super lucky
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    4/1/1 lvl 135, did her on my 10th try after some VERY annoying boards. I swear, these Crash matches do the game no favours in its argument against AI cheating.

Anyhoo, drew a token_legendary.pngicon_ironman.pngyellowflag.png

Yet another 5* I don't want or need. I have ONE max covered 4* FFS, and that's - you guessed it - Baglady.

RNG can EAD.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,371 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spent:
    • 20 K iso to level my 3/1/2 Antman to 131
    • Somewhere around 10 health packs
    • 21 Blue/Purple AP boosts
    • 21 +all AP boosts
    • 30 +20% match damage boosts
    • 20 +10% purple/blue damage boosts
    As expected in a match like this, JG won 2 matches by skyfall match-5s on my end. One of those match-5 losses was (of course) in a game where I had been able to successfully deny her getting more than 6 green or purple and was 3 turns away from winning. The stun allowed her to gain enough AP to finish me off.

The winning match was finally a good board, but of course towards the end JG skyfalled into a match-5 again which made it *very* tight win.

Gained:
    • a giant pile of frustration at the game
    • a stockpiled leg token