I hope VIP isn't a sign of MPQ's death.

Comments

• Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    No news is worse than bad news.

I couldn't disagree more.

What's worse is when news is posted, plans change, and then forumites get the pitchforks and torches because plans changed. There is no reason for them to keep us informed when the reaction that they get to news, particularly when plans change, is open hostility.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    supergarv wrote:
    You can tell by this board, that they are out of touch with their players. There's simply no communication.

I don't think they are hurting for their bottom line. But you hit it spot on. No news is worse than bad news. D3 absolutely needs to be better about responding to their players. At a minimum, keeping them informed.

I have been playing online games heavily fir over 20 years. Never have I ever invested in a game so much that kept their player base in the dark as much add this one.

Honestly it is the worst part of this game. The lack of communication. It's horrible. What they really need to do is hire someone like me to be their fun coordinator....

~DW

First they'd have to learn what fun is. Then they'd have to learn that fun is a good thing.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Keegan wrote:

What's worse is when news is posted, plans change, and then forumites get the pitchforks and torches because plans changed. There is no reason for them to keep us informed when the reaction that they get to news, particularly when plans change, is open hostility.

You keep on saying this exact same speech in almost all of your posts.

What gives, with you? Are you making some money off of this, or what?
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    TLCstormz wrote:
    Keegan wrote:

You keep on saying this exact same speech in almost all of your posts.

What gives, with you? Are you making some money off of this, or what?

You'll find the trend is that I usually post some kind of a thing when I'm reading through a thread that has geniune news or information, or seeking feedback, and I have to scroll through pages of internet rage to find a salient point. Forumites say that they want developers to talk to them more, yet expect them to be handed insults and be should be content to take the insults because they deserve it, or something along the lines of blaming the victim. Then this same thing occurs when someone points out the negativity, as you've done here.

What might give with me is that I think this hostility and rage is stupid and it will never result in the kind of change that people are using it to attempt to achieve. To think that I might be pursuing a financial motive because I don't want people to be jerks is...strange.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    More communication is good.

What's not good is MPQs attempts at more communication - dropping some vague info with points that need clarification, which either doesn't come at all or comes 3 days later.

What MPQ needs is a dev posting the info himself and/or a dev sticking around after a news bomb to answer follow up questions.

I could do without having David post stuff without any follow-up, especially on a Friday, when devs have gone to the pub.
  • Keegan wrote:

As an owner of a large business with a pretty big online presence I have learned through social reviews that when people have a bad experience they are far more likely to share it than when they have a good experience. If everything is honkey dorey life goes on and all is well.

It seems to me that people join this forum for a few reasons. To be informed. To rant and complain. They are fans of the game and everything marvel.

Unfortunately, as with everything, the anti's usually have the loudest voice. When I say no news is worse than bad news it's coming from a stance that some news gives us something to talk about, look forward to, and debate. Whereas no word leads to speculation. And to those who love to rant and complain, its a breeding ground for, as you said, 'hostility'.

I still think I would make one hell of a fun coordinator for everyone.

~DW
  • FierceKiwi wrote:
    supergarv wrote:
    You can tell by this board, that they are out of touch with their players. There's simply no communication.

I don't think they are hurting for their bottom line. But you hit it spot on. No news is worse than bad news. D3 absolutely needs to be better about responding to their players. At a minimum, keeping them informed.

I have been playing online games heavily fir over 20 years. Never have I ever invested in a game so much that kept their player base in the dark as much add this one.

Honestly it is the worst part of this game. The lack of communication. It's horrible. What they really need to do is hire someone like me to be their fun coordinator....

~DW

First they'd have to learn what fun is. Then they'd have to learn that fun is a good thing.

They know what fun is. I love playing this game. I think we all do. Otherwise why would we be here?

D3 has done an amazing job with this game. Are there things that we would all like to see changed? Absolutely!! I have so many ideas for this game that would increase playing and paying and fun factor. Just like everyone else I suppose.

~DW
  • Xzasxz
    Xzasxz Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    When grind is killing fun, what's the point to pay subscription fee?
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Xzasxz wrote:
    When grind is killing fun, what's the point to pay subscription fee?

Agreed. That's why I'm quite apprehensive when I saw that people want this VIP pack to include double ISO, rather than just give it outright. Not only should that be part of the game already, for free, you'd also essentially be paying for an obligation. You'd want to grind like hell during your month to make sure you got every drop of ISO on the table to maximize value. Sounds like a nightmare to me.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    smkspy wrote:
    Honesrly, I'll believe it when I see it. "Quality of life improvements" seem to come about as either a way to get more cash out of us or roarly screw up something within the game that previously was fun.
    They did increase the Alliance "played this day" bonus quite heftily recently. So it's not all doom and gloom!
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    smkspy wrote:
    Honesrly, I'll believe it when I see it. "Quality of life improvements" seem to come about as either a way to get more cash out of us or roarly screw up something within the game that previously was fun.
    They did increase the Alliance "played this day" bonus quite heftily recently. So it's not all doom and gloom!
    i'll take an extra 2k every week, but that's still a drop in the bucket when I'm only winning 70 ISO per match.
  • mrPuzzleQuester
    mrPuzzleQuester Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    For me, the low odds in tokens and RNG progression and the ISO shortage have been the things killing the game. As someone who has never hit 1k in PVP, tokens are my only avenue for progression and with the odds of drawing something useful so low I have become apathetic to them and resigned to a super slow progression. I play less, never spend anymore because I don't see the point. The ISO shortage feeds into this apathy because when I do cover someone I need to find the ISO to level them to a useable level.
  • chamber44
    For me, the low odds in tokens and RNG progression and the ISO shortage have been the things killing the game. As someone who has never hit 1k in PVP, tokens are my only avenue for progression and with the odds of drawing something useful so low I have become apathetic to them and resigned to a super slow progression. I play less, never spend anymore because I don't see the point. The ISO shortage feeds into this apathy because when I do cover someone I need to find the ISO to level them to a useable level.
    yep, there's a ton of people in this same "no-man's land." I've been playing for well over two years, and I have more covers of War Machine then I have of Iceman and Jean Grey combined. It's harder and harder to compete in PvP or PVE without fully maxed 4's -- let alone without the handful of the "right" ones.

All of this is just personal preference -- i could choose to play more, play at the right times, etc, but the way the game has evolved makes it much more than just a simple, fun distraction into something that requires much more dedication. As a fun distraction, i'd be inclined to spend more--sacrifice money for time, if you will. But since i have literally zero hope of catching up and being able to play the way that the game wants me to play, no dollars for them.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    chamber44 wrote:
    i'll take an extra 2k every week, but that's still a drop in the bucket when I'm only winning 70 ISO per match.
    if you play in a full alliance, the increase is 1800 per DAY. give or take some alliance movements, its ~12K a week give or take some. that's not insignificant...
  • chamber44
    TxMoose wrote:
    chamber44 wrote:
    if you play in a full alliance, the increase is 1800 per DAY. give or take some alliance movements, its ~12K a week give or take some. that's not insignificant...
    #mathfail

you're right, and 50K a month is nothing to sneeze at, i suppose, that still puts me about three months away from moving my Rulk from 210 - 270 (a mere 60 levels)
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi,

The game is doing very well and planning is already in the early stages for Halloween and our third anniversary, as well as additional quality of life improvements and new features. There's no need for "sky is falling" worries because a VIP mode has arrived.

Enjoy the game and have fun (that's what we're all here for after all). MPQ isn't going away. icon_e_biggrin.gif Thanks!

This is a bit like in football when the clubs manager says he has the full backing of the board.
  • I've been on this forum for a year and a half and the whole time people have been predicting the imminent death of MPQ, pointing to new changes as either the death throes or the last great cash grab before the game goes belly up. Just a few off the top of my head:
    - DDQ was flooding the field with 3* covers in an attempt to keep players just a little longer and get some last cash.
    - Wave nodes were designed to chew up health packs, and the increased time to clear would kill MPQ as a phone game.
    - Shield cooldowns were going to cripple competitive PVP, and also represented D3 shooting itself in the foot by cutting into its own revenue stream
    - Proliferation of 4*s represented a level of power creep that would kill MPQ (I know this argument is still going on but the prediction of "within a year" has long-since passed).
    - 5*s same as above
    - Various buffs and nerfs through the years have all been "the last straw" that would drive away the whales and make the game defunct.

Certainly there continue to be design issues and mistakes in the development of the game. I'm not saying things are perfect by any means, but there are clear signs of active development in this game (even if we don't agree with all of the decisions). I expect MPQ to be around for a while.
  • an1979
    an1979 Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Hi,

The game is doing very well and planning is already in the early stages for Halloween and our third anniversary, as well as additional quality of life improvements and new features. There's no need for "sky is falling" worries because a VIP mode has arrived.

Enjoy the game and have fun (that's what we're all here for after all). MPQ isn't going away. icon_e_biggrin.gif Thanks!

I hope we will get some splendid covers to commemorate it then like we did with Comis'c Day (?).
    That free 2* Cap America was so nice icon_e_wink.gif
  • Gregore
    Gregore Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    Money is not an issue for them.
    Several times a week I am offered invites to buy clubs.
    And not just mixed buys or stark buys.
    But 2x 3x 5x stark buys. And once, though it sounded legit but I didn't try to verify a 25x stark buy.
    I have never seen a game where so many people spend so much money.
  • We_are_Venom
    We_are_Venom Posts: 308 Mover and Shaker
    DOOM!

Reminds me of the constant "WoW is dying" posts.