Tied with 1st, rank #26, how fair is this?

MojoWild
MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I cleared all the nodes til they were green. I have the same score as the leader in the main and the sub, but I'm ranked 26 and 27. So even though I have the same number of points, I won't get anything better in the sub than the top 50. I imagine I have a shot at progressing in the main if I clear other subs faster, but I thought they didn't want ys playing on a schedule? But if you want top prizes in the subs and the main, you just have to finish everything asap.
Doesn't really feel fair.

Comments

• Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    D3 had to know this was going to happen. If not, I'm scared. What were they thinking running a PvE series like this one? I understand they are trying variations to see what works, but this one was easy to predict without having your paying customers go through the torture of spending a week playing it.
  • MojoWild
    Exactly. And i figured this is what would happen, but wanted to run my own "test" and post actual results. Sigh.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yup, instead of a race to see who can wait the longest and clear the fastest at the end of a sub, now it's who can clear the fastest at the beginning of the sub.

I finished my sub in 6th place almost 19 hours after it started. So you can still get good placement without doing a marathon session as soon as the sub opens.

And of course if you care about overall placement instead, then really how fast you clear the last sub is all that matters.
  • MojoWild
    Orion wrote:
    Yup, instead of a race to see who can wait the longest and clear the fastest at the end of a sub, now it's who can clear the fastest at the beginning of the sub.

I finished my sub in 6th place almost 19 hours after it started. So you can still get good placement without doing a marathon session as soon as the sub opens.

And of course if you care about overall placement instead, then really how fast you clear the last sub is all that matters.

True but if you have the same points in a sub as someone else, but they get more for it, that doesn't seem right. You both did the same work.
  • Orion
    MojoWild wrote:
    Orion wrote:

True but if you have the same points in a sub as someone else, but they get more for it, that doesn't seem right. You both did the same work.

They get more because they did it faster than you. Not the best system, but understandable.
  • MojoWild
    Orion wrote:
    MojoWild wrote:
    Orion wrote:

They get more because they did it faster than you. Not the best system, but understandable.

Yeah, I get that, but I don't agree with it.
  • BigRussian
    BigRussian Posts: 166 Tile Toppler
    I give this placement system 4 thumbs down - the milks gone bad!!

60586658.jpg
    icon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gificon_e_biggrin.gif
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    MojoWild wrote:
    I cleared all the nodes til they were green. I have the same score as the leader in the main and the sub, but I'm ranked 26 and 27. So even though I have the same number of points, I won't get anything better in the sub than the top 50. I imagine I have a shot at progressing in the main if I clear other subs faster, but I thought they didn't want ys playing on a schedule? But if you want top prizes in the subs and the main, you just have to finish everything asap.
    Doesn't really feel fair.

Yeah, they screwed up "players playing according to a schedule" because all they did was change the schedule from "these timed intervals" to "the faster the better." They accidentally implemented a race mode because they didn't even attempt to pass the 5 year old test (from the Evil Overlord list, where if you have a plan, you run it by a 5 year old, and if they can point out obvious flaws in it, you change the plan before using it).

I'm 18th, tied with 1-17 in my sub (though I'm 17th in the main event, someone forgot to do the main event node, I guess). And I'm denied a chance to keep playing to earn the higher rewards. Limiting how competitive we can be by outright throttling the amount we can play in an event is bogus. (unless they were to do something miraculous like "everyone tied for first gets the first place rewards", but we won't be that lucky, and the "thanks for participating in this event" reward isn't going to be that good, so most of us will probably get **** in the long run anyways)
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:

That defeats one of their claimed aims of increasing flexibility though and was such an obvious flaw in this test that I think they must have actively chose it to see just how many would go for the optimal strat over the course of a 7 day pve, the numbers are probably inflated on this sub even with the high amount of clears due to it being spread over 48 hours, but we shall see in the subsequent ones.
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    it will be hilarious when overall event placement comes down to how fast you can grind the final sub which has a six wave node that has gorgon in three of them including the opening wave with two feeders. you think people are complaining now, just wait... icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder what is the worst position somebody will end up in, despite doing a total clear of sub 1?

In my sub, 49th has done a complete clear, who has more than that?
  • Orion
    thanos8587 wrote:
    it will be hilarious when overall event placement comes down to how fast you can grind the final sub which has a six wave node that has gorgon in three of them including the opening wave with two feeders. you think people are complaining now, just wait... icon_e_biggrin.gif

Exactly. I think that was D3's point. They don't expect anyone but the very best to be able to finish the whole thing perfectly. This first sub was pretty easy compared to what's later. Who's going to do 6 waves of level 400+ enemies 9 times? Not many, that's who.

I wonder how many people D3 expected to finish the whole thing and what the final numbers will be.
  • FOADakaSquirrelBoy
    FOADakaSquirrelBoy Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Crowl wrote:
    I wonder what is the worst position somebody will end up in, despite doing a total clear of sub 1?

In my sub, 49th has done a complete clear, who has more than that?

I ended up as #60 in the sub. At least 4 more suckers below me also helped make D3's test a success.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Full clear & i was 64th - only top 100 - how is this not having to play to a schedule?
  • Orion
    Druss wrote:
    Full clear & i was 64th - only top 100 - how is this not having to play to a schedule?

Because you can play when you want and still get max points and max progression. Oh, you want a high placement too? Then play to a schedule. You can't have everything. This test is a lot better than the other tests so far.
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    Orion wrote:
    Druss wrote:

Because you can play when you want and still get max points and max progression. Oh, you want a high placement too? Then play to a schedule. You can't have everything. This test is a lot better than the other tests so far.

It is in many regards, but it's a real head-scratcher, too. Why create a system that lets people play at their own schedule only to punish them for it?

Eez puzzlement.
  • Electrovirus
    Electrovirus Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Too many of you guys are way too competitive and take this too seriously. Not everyone can be top 10. Slow down and enjoy the game, go outside, spend time with friends and family, actually do your jobs...So you miss a cover or 50 hp or 500 iso? Who cares if you don't make top 100 for the first time in a year? It is a match 3 f2p game for crying out loud.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    That must sucks.
    Luckily I play PvP so on the rare occasion I dip into PvE I don't even have to clear a node more than twice to get top 10. icon_razz.gif
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Too many of you guys are way too competitive and take this too seriously. Not everyone can be top 10. Slow down and enjoy the game, go outside, spend time with friends and family, actually do your jobs...So you miss a cover or 50 hp or 500 iso? Who cares if you don't make top 100 for the first time in a year? It is a match 3 f2p game for crying out loud.

Whew, the smartest person on the forum graced us with this nugget of wisdom!

Btw, I did a full clear and landed in exactly 26 as well.
  • Seriously
    Seriously Posts: 17 Just Dropped In

Possibly one of the least helpful posts yet icon_razz.gif (excluding this one)