I dont understand what was wrong with the old PVE

2»

Comments

• tizian2015
    tizian2015 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    The 8 hour timer is basically only good for people who can't stop themselves from playing (whether because of compulsion or competitiveness). For everyone else, going sans timer is better.

And the reason they won't go to full progression is because they believe that scarcity of covers is important,, and they know no matter how high they place the progression target for 4* covers, more than 1% of people are going to reach it.

In PVP there is a 4*cover in the progression too, there it is no problem, that theoretically more than 1% can reach it. And i bet, there reach more than 1% this cover. Btw. only 4*s will reach it, i bet, so a 3* transitioner needs another source for these covers.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    Simple: The 8 hour refresh schedule. This new test may still have its problems, but the "playing whenever you can, at your own time" is more more important than anything, imo.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crowl wrote:
    smkspy wrote:
    Nothing was wrong with it, then they introduced 5 stars, end of story.

Soft-capping giving an advantage and scheduled playing were still a problem before 5*'s.

So they fixed it by punishing those that actually level their characters, drastically raising max progression scores, and having no idea how to make pve not run on a schedule . Those were mild problems that mainly dealt with placement, which is a legit problem with a story mode event. But 5 stars started this massive landslide.

Even when pve was on a timer, it was still quite possible to reach individual progression and not strictly adhere to a schedule. The timer really.only mattered if you are obsessed with placement.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used to hate the old system of clears every 8 hours, however these new tests have actually made things worse. The idea of being able to play whenever you want is great....but now you have to play a whole lot more in total play time to even get a 3* cover. Under the old system it was basically three clears and I was done, maybe around an hour and a half a day? I could always reach progression and while I never grinded for top placement, I would usually rank ok top 75-150. I actually look forward to the old system now because I can play once late at night, once in the morning and then once when I get off of work and spend way less time actually playing than any of the new formats. I wish there was something in-between that they could get this right.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    smkspy wrote:
    Crowl wrote:
    smkspy wrote:
    Nothing was wrong with it, then they introduced 5 stars, end of story.

Soft-capping giving an advantage and scheduled playing were still a problem before 5*'s.

So they fixed it by punishing those that actually level their characters, drastically raising max progression scores, and having no idea how to make pve not run on a schedule . Those were mild problems that mainly dealt with placement, which is a legit problem with a story mode event. But 5 stars started this massive landslide.

Even when pve was on a timer, it was still quite possible to reach individual progression and not strictly adhere to a schedule. The timer really.only mattered if you are obsessed with placement.

The reason they're moving away from the timer is because the psychology meant that people were either playing all at once and ignoring the timer anyway, or waiting for the timer to refresh so they were cutting play sessions short even if they didn't want/need to. No timer so far has meant people are playing more, and not just for placement. Even finishing top 200-300 in this event (and the tests before this) has been harder, and I seriously doubt most the people that far down are simply grinding for placement.