Progression Only PVE (Split from Mission Difficulty Thread)

CrookedKnight
CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
You are so close to just getting rid of placement rewards altogether -- take the final step and do it! Please! Immediately! While eliminating the final grind is good, this is going to be an enormous clusterkitty for people who want top 10/100/whatever. Because now it's a flat-out race. Whoever finishes every clear of every node as quickly as humanly possible has ALL THE POINTS, and can never be surpassed for the rest of the event because the MPQ scoreboard breaks ties by who got there first. Hello, beginning-of-sub grind.

Comments

• Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    You are so close to just getting rid of placement rewards altogether -- take the final step and do it! Please! Immediately! While eliminating the final grind is good, this is going to be an enormous clusterkitty for people who want top 10/100/whatever. Because now it's a flat-out race. Whoever finishes every clear of every node as quickly as humanly possible has ALL THE POINTS, and can never be surpassed for the rest of the event because the MPQ scoreboard breaks ties by who got there first. Hello, beginning-of-sub grind.

This, right here. I would like to hear a dev respond to this comment.
  • erated
    erated Posts: 10
    edited June 2016

This is it right here.
    I don't understand it - is stuff like this not foreseeable to the developers? If the true goal is to remove scheduled playing, it's obvious what these changes will encourage. And if there's anything I've learned from playing this **** game, it's that there is no level of difficulty that scares the whales from grinding the optimum schedule. They could change it so that hard nodes need to be cleared 20 times for maximum points, and I swear to God I honestly think it would still be a disastrous race for top 10/100/whatever placement.

There is no scenario where placement rewards do not encourage scheduled playing.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think they are doing their best to discourage the grind.

As first poster says every step they take is one closer to the logical conclusion of progression only rewards.

People are crying now about placement blah blah but change it to progression rewards and all of a sudden everyone will be happier

I genuinely think this is what they are doing
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    Here was my first thought after reading about the devs plans for this test......

SXU6QuV.gif

On the other hand, if the devs completely got rid of placement in Story events and went straight up progression, it would be okay. icon_e_wink.gif But to offer the same amount of points to everyone will just be frustrating. icon_e_confused.gif I've missed out on t100 before because of a tie and it is NOT fun. icon_cry.gif Not one bit. I hate getting the exact same score as the person ranked 100 then only getting rank 101. Which is bad enough. But to have the exact same score as the person ranked 1st and then not even get t100 because they were all a few seconds faster (either because they have better rosters, or they get better boards or if I get a bad board and wipe) will tinykitty kitty tiny tiny kitty tinykitty kitty kitty tiny tinykitty. In other words, I'd want to Beat Up The Grass!!! icon_mad.gif
  • phaseetious4me
    phaseetious4me Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Get rid of placement rewards and improve progression rewards (give 4 4* + 2 LTs for completely clearing all of these nodes) and this is a step in the right direction. A step, not a solution.
  • The Herald
    The Herald Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    If the rewards are actually REWARDS and not punishments for playing a hard mission (that keeps getting harder), then they may be on to something.

But I think we all know we're looking at a whole load of 70 iso8 and Critical Boosts here...

Story shouldn't involve players competing directly, and players are stuck playing to a schedule because for some reason we're expected to have a 24 hour play schedule.

Any chance we will have the following for a test?

No scaling, fixed difficulty, low number of clears. Hard nodes are HARD, so only people with good rosters or solid grinding skills can finish them.
    NO PLACEMENT REWARDS. Rewards are IN the story. Because it's story mode. And we should be playing the story.
    You can have people aspire to get better as a means to keep them playing, not constantly sprint away with the goal posts then set them up to squabble amongst themselves for scraps.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just had a thought but not sure if it would even work. So I'm asking all of those that are computer experts. Would it be possible to give all ties the same reward? For example......

Ranks 1 - 75 all got 35,000 points
    Ranks 76 - 120 all got 32,000 points
    Ranks 121 - 155 all got 31,000 points

How difficult would it be to make it so that players 1-75 all got 1st place rewards, then players 76-120 all got 2nd place rewards and then 121-155 all got 3rd place rewards? I imagine it would be much simpler to just make the event rewards progression based. And I truly hope that Demi decides to do just that. The only reason players were grinding the trivial nodes so much was to get a higher rank. If you want to get rid of monotonous grinding then just make rewards progression based. Problem solved.

So please, please, please make this test progression based.
  • TheAxis
    TheAxis Posts: 3
    WHAT IS YOUR ULTIMATE GOAL?

This is a competitive game. KEEP IT THAT WAY.

there have been MULTIPLE excellent suggestions on how to improve game play, yet this is what u came up with?

Speaking from a somewhat competitive pve alliance POV, you are ruining the essence of the competitive part of this game. If your goal is to have everyone progress at the same rate, without giving the competitive people a way to progress faster, then tell us now. We will step aside for your kinder/gentler vision for this game.

While you're at it, PLEASE DO AWAY with the competitive part of PVP too. Let us play against eachother, but make it so you don't lose points when someone hits you. Afterall, losing pts makes me stay in game longer
  • Jwhitmire36
    Jwhitmire36 Posts: 52 Match Maker
    seems like every test (how many does this one make?) moves me further and further away from being able to gain any placement rewards. And since 99% of the event tokens bring me unneeded 2* covers (I'm looking at you Daken) my roster progression will slow even more.

As long as there are placement rewards in PvE then they need to just accept the fact that there will ALWAYS be some form of 'scheduled play' for optimal points, no matter what scheme you come up with, it's just the way it is.

The other option of course is removing placements rewards, which doesn't seem to be on the table....
  • Kevin61
    Kevin61 Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    So, I am confused. If the dev say that those with higher level rosters are doing better than those with lower lever rosters, what this looks like to me is, they are essentially trying to implement a "Balance of Power" for the PVE players. The idea of playing the game and getting covers is to develop your roster in order to do better. If I, as a 500+ day player have the same chance of getting 4* rewards as a player who has only played half the time then there is something seriously askew at developer headquarters.

It's a stretch for me to hit every node 7 time as it is now. How the tinykitty do they expect the average, casual player to double that?

Nope, once I hit the max reward CP, I'm done.
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    So...a few things. No more points regeneration, awesome! That means no more placement awards right? Just stuck those 3*, 4* and cp rewards in progression I hope? If not, have CS ready. I know people have filed a ticket for a tie for less rewards and been compensated, this should be no different. 2nd....increased max difficulty....why? There are people with 5* with several champion levels that were wiping on the previous tests because scaling was ridiculous. Nobody wants this. We are fine with 325 max. If your roster goes beyond that level, Good for you youve graduated. If not, why level at all? Seriously cant believe im saying this again. Keep the old scaling and node levels. Keep 3 clears for cp!. Get rid of placement awards.
  • WEBGAS
    WEBGAS Posts: 474 Mover and Shaker
    PROGRESSION REWARDS ONLY iso8.pngiso8.png

PROGRESSION REWARDS ONLY commandpoints.pngcommandpoints.png

PROGRESSION REWARDS ONLY imcoin.pngspideycoin.png

Is it too difficult to understand this?
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    posted this is the other topic as well but i post it here as well

Why not just make the New PVE a bigger Deadpool daily? it would be the eaisest way to fix it... well they would have to scale it what might be a major pain in the butt
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    if they go to a pure progression only Does that mean slices will be removed?
  • WelcomeDeath
    WelcomeDeath Posts: 349 Mover and Shaker
    slidecage wrote:
    if they go to a pure progression only Does that mean slices will be removed?

I wouldnt think so, people still need a reasonable end time to suit them.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pongie wrote:
    I just had a thought but not sure if it would even work. So I'm asking all of those that are computer experts. Would it be possible to give all ties the same reward?

This will be open to abuse. Just imagine if the whole bracket agreed to not play or simply play the starting node. Everyone would get top prize with minimal effort. I reckon it is not that hard to get 1000 players to join and do this.

You're joking right? You can't get a room of 10 strangers to agree to do something, much less 1000. Even if you did get a bracket to agree to this at least 10% would attack at the last minute to try and take solo first place.
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    WEBGAS wrote:
    PROGRESSION REWARDS ONLY iso8.pngiso8.png

PROGRESSION REWARDS ONLY commandpoints.pngcommandpoints.png

PROGRESSION REWARDS ONLY imcoin.pngspideycoin.png

Is it too difficult to understand this?

/signed
  • Because of Carnage and Venom, I will have no healpacks left after the last sub in Venom Bomb....
    And all my Heroes will need hours to heal, so how can i start the new Event and clear all nodes XX x times in a row ???

why the devs dont give us a 24 hour break between the events ?
    They can do a mini event during that time without ranking, just reach xx points and win a rendom 4* cover as the highest reward.... or just some iso....

they do the same between the Seasons in PvP

.... And stop Ranking rewards in PVE ... its PvE not PvP
    .... They can give us the ranking rewards as Alliance rewards like they did it in CW 1+2
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Devs, please stop beating the poor dead horse and move to progression only PVE.

Scaling needs to go the way of the Dodo, as well.
    Stop penalizing players for having a good roster.
  • AE_Fios
    AE_Fios Posts: 39
    Look, there are people who basically just play this game all day every day. They will grind any system that allows them to grind, regardless of how painful you make it. The 8 hour refreshes at least force them to back off in 8 hour increments.

You can remove placement rewards and add to difficulty & progression. Anything else will result in more of the same.