This pace is killing your players

Arphaxad
Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
Something needs to be said on this. We just got off a month long major event where we saw 2 4 star.png releases and 2 5 star.png . A week later you want to release another? You are burning out your player base.

The ISO9 shortage is a problem. Releasing new covers is only making that problem worse.

Here is a simple solution. No more new covers for June. Let this be the only one. Then, give us 2 double ISO8 events. This would go a long way to improve player moral.

I really enjoy playing this game. The community is awesome, the game play is fun, and overall my experience has been excellent. Don't make me regret spending time and money on your game.

Comments

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    This pace of releases has been going on for 18+ months.
    Obviously the metrics show that the player base (not necessarily the people on the forum) are ok with it.

It is what it is, and it's not going to change.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle wrote:
    Obviously the metrics show that the player base (not necessarily the people on the forum) are ok with it.

And occasionally the pace has increased for short period, but it usually return to releases every other week.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Bowgentle wrote:

Not true. It's been two per month for a long time, and for a couple of months, the second was a 5* (so no release event).
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Still no reason you have to have them all, if it is too much, take an event off, you can snag a cover in PVP or something.. I like the variety, but if grinding isn't your thing, you can still get it elsewhere.
  • Virus_Type_V
    Virus_Type_V Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Whats gonna happen when 4 star.png 's catches up or surpasses the number of 3 star.png s in the game..?
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Whats gonna happen when 4 star.png 's catches up or surpasses the number of 3 star.png s in the game..?

star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png Thanos. 115,000 hit points. 11,000 damage per match 3, 4 AP red ability that deals 47,000 damage + 8,000 for every red on the board. Six-Star characters cannot be purchased, but you can buy a token with a .00001% chance of pulling one for $1,000.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is more on us, the players, than it is on the devs. Supply and demand is all you need to justify it. I've said it before - if we'd communally chill out and deny the grind, they'd innovate new ways to hook us. There's enough demand that the business model still works.

I, personally, have given up. The only 4* I don't have is War machine - because I pretty much lost it on the Winter Soldier event. I dropped out of a T100 alliance and barely made 4k in PvP season. I am highly unlikely to reach max progression in Thick as Thieves.

I no longer feel compelled to wake up in the middle of the night, or spend my lunch break matching tiles. If the pace is too aggravating, just slow down. The first few days will be tough, but you'll be happier for it in the end.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with the thread creator, but I also know Devs don't agree with him. After playing this game for two years I know that Devs every once in a while get a little crazy and start releasing too many new chars. And it doesn't matter what we say in the forum, I guess their numbers demonstrate that this is alright, and money goes up, so no point arguing icon_e_sad.gif

Too many 4s, too little iso. Soon the irrelevant 7 will be the irrelevant 10. And soon after 13, then 16, etc. Too many interesting chars I will never get to play. A pity.

PS: I still remember the outcry at the time 4hor, Elektra and Starlord and some other 3s in between were launched in a very small period of time (at that time they needed 6+ months to launch just three 4s, and in a couple of months they launched three 4s more and some other 3s). You could hear the cries from the moon. They even said in the forum that "this was a one time thing and that they would go back to the one new release every two weeks". Look now, a year and a half later doing the exact same things (now it is 4s and 5s instead of 3s and 4s, but it is the same).
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    The thing I appreciate less about this release is the extremely short notice. It was only two days ago that I was telling my alliance mates to rest after a job well done in Iso8 + CW. Today I had to tell them "hey, actually tomorrow there's a new release event"...

It is almost as though they knew that a character release within a week from the previous would make players upset and they were trying to minimise the amount of time they'd have to deal with our griping.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I will probably not make top progression for sim. Well, who knows. But I'm already emotionally okay with not winning Kate now. I can always get her later on, and I don't need to worry about the following pve, because I probably won't play that one much either, and without Kate (required 4*), I'll have even more of an excuse to skip out on the grind! Then I can win her from the eventual release pvp. Good times.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also think the pace is to fast (my HP is no longer keeping up...which is likely their intention...): but I do think it is specifically because they released a pair of 5*'s in events where you could get them through progression and token pulls. Last month I rostered 5* 2nd Phoenix copy (thanks RNG), Iron Man, and Captain (and still have no GG!). I also rostered probably two 4*'s.

It also seems fast because they are having another 4* release PVE before they've even had the PVP release for War Machine - I don't play PVE and don't even have the -LAST- 4* rostered and they are having a release for the -NEXT- 4*. Considering the low percentage that get 4* rewards from PVE's, this is likely the experience of the vast majority of your players...and it looks bad!

To those players I'll give a sad reminder: the new 4*'s don't matter, there are so many and the mostly RNG-only that if you have a fair amount of covers of any other other ones you'll complete them first, and you only need a couple of 4*'s maxed and you'll start to get into 5* land which completely obliterates the 4*'s power and relevance.
  • Dudemon
    Dudemon Posts: 57 Match Maker
    Wow. People complain about EVERYTHING!!

Yeah, there have been more releases due to THE BIG EVENT.

They gave away a boatload of covers for a minimal effort. I for one am grateful.

Dudemon
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    The only solace I find is that this character is awful, so I will play a normal PVE and not be that upset if I somehow miss out.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moderator note: moving to Suggestions and Feedback. Leaving shadow topic in General.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    The release pace is really only killer if you don't play PvE regularly anyway. As I watch TaT scores go well past progression for Elektra rewards, it strikes me as the new character portion of the PvE is irrelevant to a bunch of the competitive people.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dudemon wrote:
    Wow. People complain about EVERYTHING!!

Yeah, there have been more releases due to THE BIG EVENT.

They gave away a boatload of covers for a minimal effort. I for one am grateful.

Dudemon

I still had to buy four roster slots in a month to keep pace with the new releases, and now, a week after I got my 5 star.png Captain America (which itself was only a few days after War Machine), I'll need another one for Kate Bishop. Forget double ISO to level the characters, we need quintuple HP just to be able to use them at all.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I could ask my typical question (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=34512) ...if they are going to speed up release of characters (four in a month?!?), why not speed up the release of ISO/HP/CP alongside those characters?!?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,727 Chairperson of the Boards
    Note that the Patch Notes already mention the next character. No, the pace will not slow down at all. Obviously the new characters drive $s as mentioned (need those roster slots).

And vets/forum browsers may ignore a new release. I think that is happening for more 4 stars given their increased irrelevance. BUT: the genius of the placement new release reward system finally dawned on me recently, once I finally placed to get some new 4*s. 100 people per slice/bracket/etc WILL get the character. Maybe with a lot, or a little grinding. Or join late and get the cover for no effort! Regardless, the character is in your queue and now you must decide: Let it go or find a way to roster the cover. If newer players, who are less likely to have extra slots and/or HP to spare, get those covers, then more money is spent. Whales spend to try to get more covers. The devs work on the next character. On it goes.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    more characters mean more $ in roster slots - I recommend that you simply just do what I do and don't care about new character releases - you will eventually get that new character and honestly that new character is usually just in one PvE and PvP event if you are lucky until the next new character comes out (sometimes they aren't even in that)....it is the only way to stop them from doing what they are doing or you can burn yourself out ....your call
  • Calnexin wrote:
    This is more on us, the players, than it is on the devs. Supply and demand is all you need to justify it. I've said it before - if we'd communally chill out and deny the grind, they'd innovate new ways to hook us. There's enough demand that the business model still works.

I, personally, have given up. The only 4* I don't have is War machine - because I pretty much lost it on the Winter Soldier event. I dropped out of a T100 alliance and barely made 4k in PvP season. I am highly unlikely to reach max progression in Thick as Thieves.

I no longer feel compelled to wake up in the middle of the night, or spend my lunch break matching tiles. If the pace is too aggravating, just slow down. The first few days will be tough, but you'll be happier for it in the end.

Completely agree Calnexin. It's been like a wake-up call to me. Time to stop chasing the MPQ rainbow and prioritise real life. My mental health has improved already.