Beginner - questions

Options

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Alsmir wrote:
    Ok, I have one more, but first:

2* Thor has become my first champion icon_e_biggrin.gif I'm pleasently surprised with rewards that extra covers get me. 2* Storm is waiting for one more cover (most likely from upcomming PvP event), OBW is on the way to become champ (currently lacking 25k ISO, but I have 2 spare covers ready).

Yesterday, for the first time I completed all nodes in DDQ. I used a bunch of boosters for the last one, but whatever icon_razz.gif Finally I have some idea how to do this. My 3* are super weak (Dr. Doom had like 3 covers) so I have to rely on those 2x 2* characters, so here comes my question:

OBW + Thor for those battles seems like the best option that I have, right? Thor drops damage from yellow, red and green powers, OBW deals with countdown tiles, heals and steals enemy mana. Is there any better team?
    Without knowing your exact roster I can confirm that OBW+Thor is a good team. OBW is probably the best two-star, and Thor is very solid.
  • Alsmir
    Alsmir Posts: 508 Critical Contributor
    Options
    How can I upload my roster? I'm sure I've seen a link for that, but I just can't find it now.

Anyway, my 2*:
    Thor - champion
    OBW - all covers, close to becomming a champion
    Storm - lacking 1 cover

And few guys that I didn't level at all (lack of ISO):
    2* Cap - missing two covers
    2* Wolverine - missing 3-4 covers
    2* Hawkeye - with 6 or 7 covers
    Ares - 6 or 7 covers
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Alsmir wrote:
    How can I upload my roster? I'm sure I've seen a link for that, but I just can't find it now.

Anyway, my 2*:
    Thor - champion
    OBW - all covers, close to becomming a champion
    Storm - lacking 1 cover

And few guys that I didn't level at all (lack of ISO):
    2* Cap - missing two covers
    2* Wolverine - missing 3-4 covers
    2* Hawkeye - with 6 or 7 covers
    Ares - 6 or 7 covers
    Thor and OBW are definitely a good start to a 2* roster, and Storm is nice too. Captain America, Wolverine and Hawkeye aren't that good, so you don't need to put any ISO into them at the moment. Once you are done with OBW and Storm, Ares is quite nice as an alternative to Thor - they have the same strong colors but very different focus as Thor focuses on team damage while Ares focuses on single-target damage mostly.
    If you want a Three-man team with Active skills in all colors you could go for Ms Marvel, Human Torch, Moonstone or Bullseye too...
  • Alsmir
    Options
    This was kinda answered already, but still...

Ok, here's current situation:

2* Thor - Champion lvl 100 icon_e_smile.gif
    2* Storm - champion
    OBW - champion

I don't really had any 3* with decent amount of covers, same with 4*. I've got around 15k ISO, but what I should do next?

a) 2* Cap at level 30, all covers and one spare, costs like 70k ISO to champ him
    b) 1* Jugg, full covers, should I even bother with him? IM35 is good enough for DDQ. Keep him, level him or sell him?
    c) 2* Hawkeye I have some doubts, should I keep collecting covers or say "good bye" to him?
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Alsmir wrote:

2* Storm - champion
    OBW - champion

I don't really had any 3* with decent amount of covers, same with 4*. I've got around 15k ISO, but what I should do next?

a) 2* Cap at level 30, all covers and one spare, costs like 70k ISO to champ him
    b) 1* Jugg, full covers, should I even bother with him? IM35 is good enough for DDQ. Keep him, level him or sell him?
    c) 2* Hawkeye I have some doubts, should I keep collecting covers or say "good bye" to him?
    2* Cap was one of my staples for a long time. I used 2* Cap, 2* Thor, and 2* Hawkeye for the Big Enchilada every week when it wasn't random, and they would always pull it off for me.

That being said, 2* Cap gets lost in the power struggle. He gets outshined by everyone else at the 2* level in damage for his red, and 2* Storm blows him away in the blue. Yellow is too expensive to be worth anything. His biggest utility is to stun lock with his blue and overwrite countdown tiles with his blue/red. OBW should be decent enough for you at controlling CD tiles at this point.

IM35 should be plenty for DDQ. Personally, I would save the ISO and dump Juggs.

Hawkeye is good in certain situations. In his heyday, his blue was solid. Now it's trash. His red does okay AoE, but his purple is the best skill, and it's far better when he's boosted and has someone who can generate match 5s. If you need space to roster other characters, you can skip Hawkeye for now since you have some of the best 2*s champed at this point.

Without knowing much more about your general plans or overall roster, I would be comfortable saying you can skip 2* Cap, Juggs, and 2* Hawkeye to hoard your ISO for more worthy characters and maybe come back to those guys later.

BTW, since you asked earlier about where to post a roster, go to http://mpq.gamependium.com/ and register for an account there. You can upload all of your roster information there and then provide a link to it here. It makes things much easier for everyone! icon_e_smile.gif
  • Alsmir
    Options
  • theabsoluteword
    theabsoluteword Posts: 43 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Alsmir wrote:

2* Storm - champion
    OBW - champion

Im still new, but here's a few things:
    Don't sell anything until and unless you need the roster space. This goes for 2* Hawkeye and Juggs too. Having many characters can help you play more with less health packs.
    I have two 2* stars that i alternate between;
    - OBW/Thor, Storm and Magneto
    - OBW/Thor, Wolverine and Daken

Some of your currently useless 2*s may shape eventually, like my Daken, who i hate, but plays really well with Wolverine. And im sorry but dont bother eorrying about 3*s at the moment youre still a little early for the 2* - 3* transition (as am I)

Good luck!
  • praam
    praam Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Alsmir, on the off chance you see this, I've got some questions of my own to you icon_e_smile.gif

I'm in same place you were a month ago. Found myself in vet brackets which I don't mind much but also got hit by the scaling brick wall. How did you get out of it? Did you just bite the bullet and level every hero throug? When did it get easier? You wrote that you sold a few covers, did that help your scaling any?

Right now, I have this:
    https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/praam/
    Moon Knight, Carnage and the Hulk are boosted this event as well. So! Round 1, final mission, put as "normal" difficulty for me: I'm facing lvl125 enemies (cooldown party+Bullseye) and, really, I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole. Not even starting the battle. Partially because I only won the previous mission with a suicide party (also known as Carnage party) and was one turn away from dying.
  • Alsmir
    Options
    praam wrote:
    Alsmir, on the off chance you see this, I've got some questions of my own to you icon_e_smile.gif

I'm in same place you were a month ago. Found myself in vet brackets which I don't mind much but also got hit by the scaling brick wall. How did you get out of it? Did you just bite the bullet and level every hero throug? When did it get easier? You wrote that you sold a few covers, did that help your scaling any?

Right now, I have this:
    https://mpq.gamependium.com/rosters/praam/
    Moon Knight, Carnage and the Hulk are boosted this event as well. So! Round 1, final mission, put as "normal" difficulty for me: I'm facing lvl125 enemies (cooldown party+Bullseye) and, really, I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole. Not even starting the battle. Partially because I only won the previous mission with a suicide party (also known as Carnage party) and was one turn away from dying.

Vet brackets are a massive pain in the butt.
    PvP - last season I finished at overall rank somewhere between 11-25 whcih got me 2x heroic 10-packs of tokens. That was pretty usefull but not as amazing as you might think. This season I'm sitting at rank 3000+.
    I pretty much gave up on placement rewards in most PvP events, because after few first opponents I face guys with characters ranging from champed 2* (which is ok) to 5* with few covers.

Instead I focused on PvE. Once again - good placement rewards are almost impossible to get, instead I focused on progression rewards. It's still a bit random, in one event I was able to get everything except for last CP reward, in current PvE event (with double ISO) I don't have any good boosted characters, 1 out of 3 essential, and after clearing few nodes I'm stuck with 130+ enemies, while I have boosted 150 and 2x 100 (which are better than boosted 4* to 140, but with just one cover).

In PvP there isn't much you can do. Check out progression rewards in SHIELD simulator, I was still able to get all the way to 1400 points. In some PvP events you might want to consider going for 200 or 300 points to get a 2* cover and maybe a token.

I wouldn't count on much more from PvP, but you might consider playing some games in lightning rounds - you get a decent chance of getting some 2* covers from wins.

Focus on PvE. You don't have to rush to finish Prologue, pick the fights that won't drain your healthpacks. It will take some time to get the covers, but it's very doable.
    Right now I'm at day 40 with championed: 2* Thor, 2* Storm, 2* Black widow. I have 2* Cap with 13 covers and I probably had 13+ covers for 2* Wolverine, but I sold them. I'm at 11/13 covers for Hawkeye.

Deadpool Daily is usefull, very usefull, but don't worry if you can't finish it yet.

Wolverine/Daken combo is pretty good from what I've read. You will eventually want to sell 1* Hawkeye and Storm.

2* Black Widow is an absolute MVP of my team. She won't deal that much damage but her abilities to steal AP, heal and increase timers on cooldown tiles are super effective. She is great in almost any PvE fight.
    Focus on leveling 3x 2* characters. Don't waste ISO on others yet.
  • Alsmir
    Options
    I almost forgot:
    I'm starting to look at my 3* characters. Getting covers for them is painfully slow but I'm trying my best. I have acquired some cps. Should I keep my cps, spend them on legendary tokens (don't want to do that) or does it make any sense tu upgrade my 3* with cp?

It feels really expensive - 20 cp for one cover, but I'm not spending those points on anything else and I wouldn't mind upgrading my Kamala Khan.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Alsmir wrote:
    I almost forgot:
    I'm starting to look at my 3* characters. Getting covers for them is painfully slow but I'm trying my best. I have acquired some cps. Should I keep my cps, spend them on legendary tokens (don't want to do that) or does it make any sense tu upgrade my 3* with cp?

It feels really expensive - 20 cp for one cover, but I'm not spending those points on anything else and I wouldn't mind upgrading my Kamala Khan.
    You have an ample supply of Three-star covers in the DDQ. There's no real need to rush it. Save your CPs until you are ready to move on to fourstar land and spend it on Legendary tokens then.
  • praam
    Options
    The brackets I don't mind as much, sure some of the rewards go away. Now going from full and repeated PvE round clears to not being able to win some fights at all, that really drags me down. I was hoping to hear that you're doing better in that regard but sounds that's still a struggle - which is a shame.

Your advice is what I'm afraid to do - championing a few good characters and skipping the rest. I mean, in the original post you felt high level heroes caused the scaling, yet now you're suggesting more of the same. I wouldn't want to criticize, I'm just very reluctant to get further punishment from the scaling. Right now, I don't even want to get past lvl70 on my 2*s - too afraid.

PvP is ok - I get by with the wolv/dakken regen team. I don't shoot for the stars but there are some easy pickings as you said. I did start getting these 5* ones, can control their mana but 3x match damage and 3x hitpoints are hard to beat. Skip button does get me better lineups/rating most of the time - shop around!

I prefer PvE more. Difficulty wise, I feel that hero teams are easier to beat than cooldown teams. I can control the mana colors against heroes but I really lack board control against minions. The cooldowns just decimate me. 2* captain blue power isn't enough. It's why I still keep 1* Storm around - at least her yellow shuffles the board some. Same about Hawkeye, he's an absolute weakling but the abilities are my favorite. Only alternatives in the entire 2* roster for that seem to be the Black widow and Magnetto.

25 heroic tokens today (PvP season rewards and then some), Black Widow still sits on 1 cover and Storm got no extra ones either. Ah well.
  • Alsmir
    Options
    Black Widow will make big difference against non-hero enemies. If you can match enough blue mana, you just increase the timer on the cooldown tiles and take no damage at all.

PvE - I am dependant on boosted characters, if I can get at least one of my champs boosted - I can clear most of the nodes (still not all of them).

Right now, in Unsteble ISO, I have my almost leveled Hawkeye boosted and that is pretty much it. Right, I have like 2 4* chars boosted, but they have one cover each which makes them almost useless. I managed to clear just few nodes and I'm stuck at like 25% progress.

I can't do much about it, other than leveling more characters and collecting covers.

As far as I know, scaling is based on your top 3 characters, so don't worry about it as long as you don't have one character with really high level compared to others. You can absolutely level up every single 2* character, but... do you have enough ISO?
    I'd love to get a bunch of 2* champions, but even when I have the covers it takes me so much time to gather ISO, that I'd rather pick few guys, that I like the best and skip others. Leveling 3* and 4* will cost even more :/
  • praam
    Options
    The way I see it, the game is counter-intuitive. If you play well, it rewards you with 3-4* heroes right off the bat, and then punishes you for both having the heroes (if 2* didn't catch up yet) and playing well. Same about the leveling - sure, I'd love to max out my best heroes, but if the game keeps up - what's the point? or at least, why rush?

I'd just much rather have a playable roster where the event boost is a nice bonus, rather than a get-boosted-or-die team. That way, can kill off the expendables between missions while only the MVP gets healed icon_e_smile.gif Or have several teams going, etc. Sure, it's a lot of ISO, but as you said - 3 and 4* will only be more expensive.

But hey, I'm new to the game icon_e_smile.gif I might be wrong.

It would be nice to hear from more experienced players - how is PvE later on? does it get easier? What should be the expectations? Right now, I expect to be able to beat a mission that is marked as normal, but in PvE rounds, the last couple of missions are life or death material and the final "normal" mission adds 20 levels on top of that.
  • Alsmir
    Options
    I'm close to having 4 2* champs and I don't feel like I need more 2* characters, but I might consider adding someone else.

So, what do I do now?
    In PvP I'm still doing poorly, at least 50% teams that I meet have at least 1 5* character that wrecks me with just match damage. It feels like my best option is grinding 300 points for lousy token.

PvE is lightly better but still pretty slow.

How the hell do I make it to 3* land? Is it really gonna be so painfully slow? DDQ gives me like 1 usefull cover every 2 days, but the best 3* I have right now is Dr Doom with 6 covers. How long will it take to get at least one 3* with max covers?
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    When I was transitioning to 3*, I chased hero points wherever I could so I could expand my roster. That meant 400 was my target score in pvp. If you're having trouble reaching 300, maybe change up your approach? Join early for seed teams but start playing later. Switching slices may let you see more beatable opponents.

My goal was to roster every 3* so I could finish DDQ every day. PVE top 200 and 2* champ rewards are the other main source of covers. Then, just keep opening those tokens. You'll get there soon.
  • Alsmir
    Options
    How long do I have to wait before I'm thrown back into reasonable bracket in PvP?

My first season, in noob bracket, was very successful. Few top 5 finishes in PvP events and overall rank somewhere between 11-25.
    Second season was a nightmare with 5* opponents everywhere, while I was slowly building my 2* team. Now, I'm in my 3rd season and things are just barely better. I'm no longer seeing 5* champs, but instead 4*, 3* champs and few 5*.

Seriously, what's up with devs that think it's a good idea to punish players for doing well? I have already quit 3 games with similar systems and now I'm thinking what should I do in MPQ.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Alsmir wrote:
    How long do I have to wait before I'm thrown back into reasonable bracket in PvP?

My first season, in noob bracket, was very successful. Few top 5 finishes in PvP events and overall rank somewhere between 11-25.
    Second season was a nightmare with 5* opponents everywhere, while I was slowly building my 2* team. Now, I'm in my 3rd season and things are just barely better. I'm no longer seeing 5* champs, but instead 4*, 3* champs and few 5*.

Seriously, what's up with devs that think it's a good idea to punish players for doing well? I have already quit 3 games with similar systems and now I'm thinking what should I do in MPQ.
    I don't Think it will ever be as easy as it was in the beginning. It's the old drug dealer trick - the first hit is on the house, once you are hooked you start paying.
    Things do get easier eventually as you strenghten your roster though. It's a Marathon though, not a sprint, so improvement won't happen overnight.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Alsmir wrote:

PVP will never be that easy again, but will be playable once you get some maxed 3 stars. Focus on DDQ and PVE for now.
  • Alsmir
    Options
    I'm back, so here we go:

1. PvP Season progression points. Last season brought me huge **** moment - I lost my progression points. Is it a bug or does it really work like that?

I have grinded SHIELD to 1500 (hit a brick wall of 5* enemies), then I quickly lost about 500 points. Those points were also deducted from my season progression. Why?

Only the points that I have at the end of the events count?

2. I might have asked this before, but what's the deal with lightning rounds? How much time after the start I have, before seed teams disappear?
    Is this entire "mode" based around logic "rich getting richer"? No brackets or anything? I'm still sitting on a team of 2* champs, while top players in my bracket have champed 5*.

3. I have 40 CP.
    My Kamala Khan is 4/3/1, IM 40 2/4/1 those are the two characters that I consider leveling with CPs (I'm sick and tired of my 2* team). What should I get?

PS. Thanks in advance for advice: save those CPs and use them in 2+ years.