I'm gaining plenty of covers

mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
edited June 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I just wanted to state that I am able to fully cover the 4*s fast enough to be satisfied. I think I'm actually fully covering them at a faster rate than they're being released. So that's good.

Now, I just need enough ISO to champion them at a reasonable rate, so all their additional covers aren't regularly needing to be sold for a paltry 1000 ISO.

Comments

• Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good for you?
  • I just wanted to state that I don't care about covers or ISO any more. Give me more CW, Galactus, Gauntlet... anything but the monotonous standard pve garbage served week after week. Variety is the spice of life.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    I just wanted to state that I am able to fully cover the 4*s fast enough to be satisfied. I think I'm actually fully covering them at a faster rate than they're being released. So that's good.

Now, I just need enough ISO to champion them at a reasonable rate, so all their additional covers aren't regularly needing to be sold for a paltry 1000 ISO.

Up to 5 covers can be earned from releasing PVE (you have to be first or second, though). 1 more from being first in the PVP previous to that character's PVP and then one more in that PVP's progression ladder. That's 7. So you are basically a top 1 player that manages to somehow get 6 copies of a newly released character from tokens within two weeks (I'm guessing you buy out and reset the vaults of the following PVE ?) Hope you at least can see how your case is not exactly exemplary of the overwhelming majority of players.

Not that Iso is not a bigger necessity. Just saying that some people still could use a better influx of covers.
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    I just wanted to state that I don't care about covers or ISO any more. Give me more CW, Galactus, Gauntlet... anything but the monotonous standard pve garbage served week after week. Variety is the spice of life.

Moar Galactus, pls!
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Are you in a top 100 guild? How many hours do you play a day? Do you have a 4* roster now, or are you in the beginning of 3* transitioning? The complaints aren't from people who work part time on this game, the complaints are from those who view this as a match 3 mobile phone game to play in your spare time.
  • mpqr7
    That's actually not true! I'm NOT a top pve player. In general, I gain 0 to 1 covers in the new release PVE.

It's almost impossible for me to hit top 100 individual in pve. When I hit top progression, then I can join a pve alliance to win that one cover. Otherwise, I'm without it.

I then win one cover in the following new release pvp at 1000 points. So that places me at 1 to 2 covers.

And then the rest flow in a few months later from LTs, for the most part. I gotta win something when I'm not winning 5*s!

And how many LTs in general? Let's say approximately 5 to 7 per week (3 from PVP, 1 from PVE, 1 from CP, 1-2 from DDP Crash). And then the rest from PVP at 1000 points, after it's been a month or two since it was released.

I still get a lot of repeats (ie 6th covers of the same power) before the character is at 13 covers, but it all seems to work out within a few months from when it's released.

If only that were the case for 5*s... icon_e_surprised.gif

So, in summary, we complain about a lot, but I feel there's no need to complain about not getting enough 4* covers. Just about needing more ISO to actually level up those 4*s! A few months ago, I needed around 3 million ISO to champ my fully-covered 4*s. Now, I need almost 4 million! And even that's not much, compared to the needs of others!
  • Slarow
    Slarow Posts: 204 Tile Toppler
    We should be able to apply covers to their 13 cover, underleveled character and have it apply ISO at a rate 10x the sale value of the cover. i.e. applying a 4* cover to its 4*, 13 cover character would be the same as adding 10K ISO to the character, 3* cover would apply 5k ISO to its character.
  • Redrobot30
    Redrobot30 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    Recently I've been in the same boat as the OP. It's rare that I even try to get a cover when new ones come out in PvE. I did manage to earn a single Drax card when he came out and since then he has been basically throwing himself at me. I have 8 cards from random tokens now. Sadly enough my XPool still only has a measly 3 cards... icon_e_sad.gif
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Pylgrim wrote:
    mpqr7 wrote:
    snip.
    Hope you at least can see how your case is not exactly exemplary of the overwhelming majority of players.
    Not that Iso is not a bigger necessity. Just saying that some people still could use a better influx of covers.

I don't think he meant that literally Pylgrim. I think I kind of get what he's talking about. I am a 3-4 star.png transition player, with only a few 4s champed. I am in the process of champing the rest of them. While I am not earning as many NEW covers, I am earning covers for new 4 star.png at a pace that is faster than the ISO provided. In other words, my older 4 star.png are now getting to that point where I have 3 or 4 at any given time that are fully covered, but not levelled, and if the pace of picking up their covers continues, I will be selling a whole bunch before I can use them. I have a feeling that the OP is in a similar position.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:

Good for you...I am not.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    mpqr7 wrote:

And how many LTs in general? Let's say approximately 5 to 7 per week (3 from PVP, 1 from PVE, 1 from CP, 1-2 from DDP Crash). And then the rest from PVP at 1000 points, after it's been a month or two since it was released.

Ridiculous. That's an immense amount of time per week on the game. Of course people who already have 4*'s and play religiously have enough covers. The people at the top complain about iso. Understand the people who are complaining about 4* cover rewards are not people like yourself. The people complaining about 4* covers are 3-4* transitioners (NO maxed 4*s yet) and people who have their 3*'s maxed out but don't want to play hours a day.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bingo. There are two different shortages involved.

High-end players have an ISO shortage. I mean, that affects those in the 3->4 transition, too, but less keenly than those who have fully-covered 4* and are trying to level them.

Mid-tier players have a cover shortage. I have 39/40 3*, and 14 of those are championed. So, y'know, sooner or later I'll start getting 4* covers from those. On the 4* side of the ledger, Nick Fury (10 covers), Star Lord (8 covers after today's daily resupply) and Ant-Man (7 covers) are the 4* I have with the most covers. The first 4* cover in the daily resupply drops on day 149, no? XFW? Today's resupply is day 670 for me. Over 500 days after 4* became a thing, and of 33 4*, I haven't yet gotten one of them to 13 covers. I know that I will, eventually, have a 13-cover Nick Fury. All I need is another 99 GSBW covers.

But that's where I'm at in 4* progression. The 4* DDQ as currently constituted is really meant more for 4* players to have a shot at the 5* transition. I have a few 4* who can earn me tokens there, but I'm not fully into a 4* roster yet, so that mode apparently isn't "meant for me."

The 4* transition, from my perspective, is kinda non-existent. The recent Civil War events and surrounding events dropped a bounty of 4* covers on me, and that was nice. But that's an oasis in the desert. Mostly how I get 4* covers are by championing a new 3* every two weeks, getting that legendary, and waiting for the next one. I have 24 fully-covered 3* left to champion and and then there's 3* Iron Man once I finish getting him built. So I'm only about a year out from being in a place where DDQ, if it still exists in its current form, will yield me a champion level for SOMEBODY every day and push me closer to earning 4* covers from them.

4* covers aren't a problem for you? Congratulations. I mean that sincerely. I wish I could say the same. Right now, I have a handful of 4* I'd love to experiment with if I could get the covers, but access to them is still jealously guarded.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    One thing that's also noteworthy is that RNG isn't necessarily a 5* only thing. Before I cut down on my playing, I was getting as many LT's a week as the OP. However, for some mysterious reason, my personal RNG doesn't seem to believe that any 4* were released after X23, because I simply don't pull any of the newer characters with any kind of frequency, other than a brief streak of 4* Pun-Pun covers shortly after his release. This is disheartening because you need those random pulls to get a 4* in fighting shape. For my worst example, I've worked my butt off to get top 2 in Nova's release pve because I like the character, but he's been stuck at 4/3/3 for ages because I've only drawn a single cover from a LT. Getting multiple 4* covers a week isn't very interesting, and definitely not very fun when the vast majority of them consists of 1000 ISO sales.
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    Between high PvE and PvP efforts it's definitely possible to gain 4* covers at a pretty steady rate. Very taxing, but possible.

Not including any CW covers, WM release covers, or 5*s (just 1 surfer), I've picked up 17 in the past week. 14 if we're not counting CW legs. You could also ignore the 3 that came from PvP/heroic tokens, because my pull rate there has been abysmal like most people's for a long time. So 11, or more than 1 a day, which isn't bad at all.

That being said the RNG can also be terribly unkind with those covers. I can't tell you how many SL purples I've sold, or Thoress reds, or Thing reds. Yet my GR, XFDP, and Nova sit at 5-6 covers apiece, and Rulk and Cyke 8-9 apiece. And on top of that, Drax, possibly the worst of the most recent 4*s, is somehow at 4/4/2.

I've been part of a large, competitive alliance for a while now so I know I take some things for granted, but if you really want covers: shoot for progression in PvE and put most of your efforts into PvP. 1K is easily achievable for any developed 3* roster willing to coordinate hops on LINE, and 1.3k can be done with one solid champed 4*.

As others have said, while 4* covers can definitely be tricky to acquire, ISO is the biggest issue right now.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    DFiPL wrote:

High-end players have an ISO shortage. I mean, that affects those in the 3->4 transition, too, but less keenly than those who have fully-covered 4* and are trying to level them.

Mid-tier players have a cover shortage. I have 39/40 3*, and 14 of those are championed. So, y'know, sooner or later I'll start getting 4* covers from those. On the 4* side of the ledger, Nick Fury (10 covers), Star Lord (8 covers after today's daily resupply) and Ant-Man (7 covers) are the 4* I have with the most covers. The first 4* cover in the daily resupply drops on day 149, no? XFW? Today's resupply is day 670 for me. Over 500 days after 4* became a thing, and of 33 4*, I haven't yet gotten one of them to 13 covers. I know that I will, eventually, have a 13-cover Nick Fury. All I need is another 99 GSBW covers.

But that's where I'm at in 4* progression. The 4* DDQ as currently constituted is really meant more for 4* players to have a shot at the 5* transition. I have a few 4* who can earn me tokens there, but I'm not fully into a 4* roster yet, so that mode apparently isn't "meant for me."

The 4* transition, from my perspective, is kinda non-existent. The recent Civil War events and surrounding events dropped a bounty of 4* covers on me, and that was nice. But that's an oasis in the desert. Mostly how I get 4* covers are by championing a new 3* every two weeks, getting that legendary, and waiting for the next one. I have 24 fully-covered 3* left to champion and and then there's 3* Iron Man once I finish getting him built. So I'm only about a year out from being in a place where DDQ, if it still exists in its current form, will yield me a champion level for SOMEBODY every day and push me closer to earning 4* covers from them.

4* covers aren't a problem for you? Congratulations. I mean that sincerely. I wish I could say the same. Right now, I have a handful of 4* I'd love to experiment with if I could get the covers, but access to them is still jealously guarded.

This right here, I'm in the exact boat. In fact, I champ my 3 star based on who they will one day give covers to.
  • san
    Skygazing wrote:
    Between high PvE and PvP efforts it's definitely possible to gain 4* covers at a pretty steady rate. Very taxing, but possible.

This is a myth.

I do 1K in PVP consistently - I value my time and look at risk (time) vs reward (25CP) for the 1300, and don't tend to bother, unless I'm particularly in a gaming mood.

I also do 2 or so refreshes of every PVE, and then grind out the rewards I want (CP, usually) for a total score of.... one LT. This gives me ISO steadily.

I do DDQ daily.

That's it.

I do not consider myself competitive, at least not as competitive as I could be based on roster. And I am certainly not feeling "taxed" other than on new releases when I WANT the new character (otherwise, I get my LT and see if I'm close to top 100 for the one cover). Even so, I have a steady influx of 4* covers - not always the ones I want, but I won't complain. That's all you need to be steady.
  • Skygazing
    Skygazing Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    san-mpq wrote:
    Skygazing wrote:

This is a myth.

I do 1K in PVP consistently - I value my time and look at risk (time) vs reward (25CP) for the 1300, and don't tend to bother, unless I'm particularly in a gaming mood.

I also do 2 or so refreshes of every PVE, and then grind out the rewards I want (CP, usually) for a total score of.... one LT. This gives me ISO steadily.

I do DDQ daily.

That's it.

I do not consider myself competitive, at least not as competitive as I could be based on roster. And I am certainly not feeling "taxed" other than on new releases when I WANT the new character (otherwise, I get my LT and see if I'm close to top 100 for the one cover). Even so, I have a steady influx of 4* covers - not always the ones I want, but I won't complain. That's all you need to be steady.

Depends on what amount/rate you define as steady, and how developed your roster is. I imagine that in your case having a 5/3/1 390 Phoenix helps with getting to 1k easily, and probably makes PvE grinding a little easier.

For less developed rosters it's going to take higher effort, and therefore be more taxing.
  • DFiPL
    DFiPL Posts: 2,405 Chairperson of the Boards
    smkspy wrote:
    DFiPL wrote:

This right here, I'm in the exact boat. In fact, I champ my 3 star based on who they will one day give covers to.

There's a reason GSBW is my latest champion. I mean, she's champion-worthy anyway, but when I got my 10th Fury cover and realized that GSBW can push him to 13 covers all by her lonesome, she jumped to the top of the queue. Even though, y'know, it's gonna TAKE forever.
  • mpqr7
    Don't depend on championing for your 4* covers! Yeah, you may get 1 cover after a few months at lv 183, but it could be a year or more before you get all the way to lv 223.
  • san
    Skygazing wrote:
    Depends on what amount/rate you define as steady, and how developed your roster is. I imagine that in your case having a 5/3/1 390 Phoenix helps with getting to 1k easily, and probably makes PvE grinding a little easier.

For less developed rosters it's going to take higher effort, and therefore be more taxing.

Actually, I feel that since I have gotten my Phoenix to 390, getting to 1K has become much tougher. You must remember that now I compete with level 350-450 OMLs and the like, when I used to only have to deal with Hulkbusters and Jeanbusters. In addition a 5/3/1 PHX, while nothing to scoff at, is not as great at she seems. The 1 red cover severly limits that damage, making that power near useless. Purple is solid as a battery, but not idead (3Cyke is better, for example) and the green is only useful once she is downed and then recovers (though an excellent AOE bomb then!). Other than this, I don't use her powers - she does match damage only.

As for PVE, I preferred my gauntlet at 280 level enemies, which was prior to JG5... Now at 425, I am .... insert a tiny kitty here (where's the tinykitty icon!?).

In other words, I am not sure that your assessment is correct.