** Hawkeye (Modern) ** [PRE 2014-09]

[anchor=hawkeye2]Hawkeye (Modern)[/anchor]
2 Star Rarity (Uncommon) Discussion link
At Max Level: HP: 4361 Tile damage: 11/43/49/55/09/10/4.5
    Electric Arrow - Blue 9 AP
    Hawkeye fires an arrow that delivers a high-voltage electric shock when it hits. Changes a chosen basic Blue tile into a 3-turn Countdown tile. When it activates, stuns the target for 2 turns and reduces enemy AP in a random color by 4.
      Level 2: Reduces enemy AP in a random color by 6. Level 3: Reduces enemy AP in two random colors by 4 each. Level 4: Creates a 2-turn Countdown tile. Level 5: When it activates, stuns the target for 3 turns.[/u]
      Blast Arrow - Red 9 AP
      Clint lines up the perfect shot. When it hits, it creates a massive explosion. Changes a chosen basic Red tile into a 4-turn Countdown tile. When it activates, deals 200 damage to all enemies.
        Level 2: 221 damage. Level 3: Reduces countdown to 3 turns. Level 4: 238 damage Level 5: Reduces countdown to 2 turns.
      Max Level: 1335 damage
        Speed Shot - Purple Passive
        (PASSIVE) Hawkeye nocks multiple arrows and lets them fly. Is on now, bro. Whenever you match 5 or more tiles, converts up to 3 Purple tiles to 3-turn Countdown tiles that deal 154 damage when activated.
          Level 2: Each arrow deals 169 damage. Level 3: Each arrow deals 183 damage. Level 4: Places 4 Countdown tiles. Level 5: Places 2-turn Countdown tiles.
        Max Level: 947 damage per arrow

Here's an older version.
        [anchor=hawkeye2]Hawkeye (Modern)[/anchor]
        2 Star Rarity (Uncommon) Discussion link
        At Max Level: HP: 2670 Tile damage: 11/39/45/50/9/10
          Electric Arrow - Blue 10 AP
          Hawkeye shoots a charged arrow, placing a Blue Countdown tile on the board. It activates after 4 turns, dealing 200 to the current target and stunning them for 2 turns.
          Level Upgrades
            Level 2: Stuns enemy for 3 turns. Level 3: Reduces countdown to 3 turns. Level 4: Stuns enemy for 4 turns. Level 5: Reduces countdown to 2 turns.
          Max Level: 2456 damage
            Blast Arrow - Red 10 AP
            Hawkeye shoots an explosive arrow, placing a Red Countdown tile. After 4 turns, it deals 120 damage to all enemies.
            Level Upgrades
              Level 2: +25% damage. Level 3: Reduces countdown to 3 turns. Level 4: +25% damage. Level 5: Reduces countdown to 2 turns.
            Max Level: 1645 damage
              Avoid - Purple Passive
              (PASSIVE) If there are more than 8 Purple tiles on the board, Hawkeye leaps out of the way of attacks, moving to the back of the team.
              Level Upgrades
                Level 2: Requires 7 Purple tiles. Level 3: Requires 6 Purple tiles. Level 4: Requires 5 Purple tiles. Level 5: Requires 4 Purple tiles.

Original post:

"Modern Hawkeye Feedback"

I just wanted to say that I really like modern Hawkeye after the change of his Red skill. I think he is greatly underrated because no one talks about him here so I just wanted to give the devs some sort of character feedback. I especially like the purple passive skills evasion of ae damage as well that's pretty well thought.

The only negative point: his covers are relatively hard to obtain icon_e_wink.gif
              Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Mommson wrote:
                The only negative point: his covers are relatively hard to obtain icon_e_wink.gif

I think that might be the reason why people don't talk about him icon_e_wink.gif They don't have him at all or too little covers to level him up reasonably.
                But you inspired me to check out his abilities and I have to agree that he looks quite interesting.
              • Mommson wrote:
                I guess I'm just lucky because I've gotten em most so far after Bags and Mags.

I love my high crit characters. I don't use em though because his passive is counter-productive with c.Storm's passive.
              • Nonce Equitaur 2
                Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
                edited August 2015
                (moved stats to earlier post)

Original Post:
                Mommson wrote:
                I thought because of the discussion in The Hood I should open a new Topic for it:

His purple ability also triggers with ae effects like Classic storms yellow or blue, then he avoids the damage, another character goes to the front but not takes the damage again if he was already damaged by the same ability so effectively the damage disappears. You can also control which character comes to the front when hawkeye avoids due to the character selection screen. Just put the character you want to get hit to the right or hawkeye to the right and the character you want to get hit in the middle.

His Blue ability has also a really sick dmg/AP ratio, does already doing 1000 dmg at lvl 34 (and has a 4 turn stun) (For references, it's better then Thors yellow)

His red ability is kind of situational but his dmg ratio is at least as good as Classic storms blue but haven't detailed info about this.
              • Mommson wrote:
                His purple ability also triggers with ae effects like Classic storms yellow or blue, then he avoids the damage, another character goes to the front but not takes the damage again if he was already damaged by the same ability so effectively the damage disappears.

I don't get this. I tried taking him on a team of Hood/Thor/Hawkeye in a PVE match against one of the Maggia levels with thugs that damage your entire team. I made sure to let the thugs hit me a couple times. What happened was that Hawkeye hopped & skipped to the back and took no damage, but my other two team members took full damage. There was no disappear. How does this work?
                Mommson wrote:
                You can also control which character comes to the front when hawkeye avoids due to the character selection screen. Just put the character you want to get hit to the right or hawkeye to the right and the character you want to get hit in the middle.

This is good info...thanks man icon_cool.gif
                Mommson wrote:
                His Blue ability has also a really sick dmg/AP ratio, does already doing 1000 dmg at lvl 34 (and has a 4 turn stun) (For references, it's better then Thors yellow)

His red ability is kind of situational but his dmg ratio is at least as good as Classic storms blue but haven't detailed info about this.

Red situational? Isn't it the whole point of the character? It's a lot scarier to be able to mess up your whole team with a single countdown, and the idea is that if you can't make a match that gets rid of the countdown tile in time, you'll at least try to neutralize it the other way, by targetting and killing Hawkeye, but he's already hopped & flipped to the back and can't be targeted, so uh-oh, that's bad, curse you Hawkeye, etc. etc.

Blue does seem to do good damage and stun is always nice, but if I'm going to put a random countdown tile on the board, I'd want it to really count. Before I understood just how annoying 2-star Storm's yellow ability was, I was terrified of her blue since it hits everybody.

I'm also not sure I understand the logic of having Hawkeye, a character with such good aim that he never ever misses, have 2 abilities that affect random tiles (I just checked, both his red and his blue affect random red or blue tiles, you can't select), but I guess that's another discussion...
              • someguy wrote:
                I don't get this. I tried taking him on a team of Hood/Thor/Hawkeye in a PVE match against one of the Maggia levels with thugs that damage your entire team. I made sure to let the thugs hit me a couple times. What happened was that Hawkeye hopped & skipped to the back and took no damage, but my other two team members took full damage. There was no disappear. How does this work?
                Hawkeye's potential damage disappears, no-one else takes it for him.
              • Humphrey wrote:
                someguy wrote:
                Hawkeye's potential damage disappears, no-one else takes it for him.

He got it right. If you use his avoid normally (for example if the opponents Iron Man uses his Repulsor Blast) then the new character at the front takes the full hit of the Blast. But if all team members get hit by an ae, then the other two members take the damage one time and hawkeye takes no damage at all, so the total damage is reduced to 2/3 of it's strengh.
                someguy wrote:

Red situational? Isn't it the whole point of the character? It's a lot scarier to be able to mess up your whole team with a single countdown, and the idea is that if you can't make a match that gets rid of the countdown tile in time, you'll at least try to neutralize it the other way, by targetting and killing Hawkeye, but he's already hopped & flipped to the back and can't be targeted, so uh-oh, that's bad, curse you Hawkeye, etc. etc.

Blue does seem to do good damage and stun is always nice, but if I'm going to put a random countdown tile on the board, I'd want it to really count. Before I understood just how annoying 2-star Storm's yellow ability was, I was terrified of her blue since it hits everybody.

I think if i would have a max level Hawkeye then you would be right but at the moment I have a lvl 50 4/5/3 Thor and a lvl 34 5/3/1 hawkeye. The red of Hawkeye does only 550 dmg to each character and costs 10 AP and has a countdown of 3. Normally you get 1-2 early red matches but it takes a while to build up 10. So most of the times if I have 10, one of the opponents character is already down (especially all the c.storm teams) or I wanted to use Thor's red for 650 single target dmg first. I think the problem is not only with thor but nearly all of the tanks that you want to use at the moment with Hawkeye have a red skill that does good damage already. And this tank is usually higher leveled then hawkeye because the more hit points the tank has, the longer hawkeye survives. So the red at the moment is only situational, I think it will change with hawkeye gaining levels and me having 5 points in his red abilities.

Another thing for all the c.storm users out there: With hawkeyes avoid you can get your decoy very easy at the front because you can then also match one of hawkeyes colours and then avoid the attack and trigger tempest. I myself don't like it much because my c. storm is not high enough in dmg and if that not works then I'm standing there with only c.storm and hawkeye but I think if you have a max lvl Storm and hawkeye the ae would be pretty sick ^^
              • 5/5/3 would look good
              • Just upgraded my modern hawkeyes red skill to level 4. Before I did 559 dmg to each, now I do 639 dmg. In my world that's not 25 % more damage. Or is it measured at the base damage of level 1 so I have to take the other 25% upgrade at lvl 2 into account?
              • Am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that his powers places a tile randomly on the board. I get to pick where I put the Captain America tile and it just returns AP. If Hawkeye's tile is dropped into a three set or something that's a waste of my power. I think he'd be extremely useful as a backup character if I could actually place the tile to have a better chance of the countdown reaching zero.
              • doloriel wrote:
                Am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that his powers places a tile randomly on the board. I get to pick where I put the Captain America tile and it just returns AP. If Hawkeye's tile is dropped into a three set or something that's a waste of my power. I think he'd be extremely useful as a backup character if I could actually place the tile to have a better chance of the countdown reaching zero.

The Hood and/or Spiderman can help out with that. Checking enemy AP before using an ability helps. The first time I came across a player with a seriously leveled modern hawkeye I underestimated him and I paid the consequences. He's very dangerous.

Once he uses avoid, he can't be hit that turn. I recall using sniper rifle destroying his team when he was in front. He used avoid, and he avoided it. I used Captain america to throw a red shield at him but he was undamaged.
              • doloriel wrote:
                Am I the only one who is bothered by the fact that his powers places a tile randomly on the board. I get to pick where I put the Captain America tile and it just returns AP. If Hawkeye's tile is dropped into a three set or something that's a waste of my power. I think he'd be extremely useful as a backup character if I could actually place the tile to have a better chance of the countdown reaching zero.

I think it mainly bugs me because it's friggin' Hawkeye. The guy is supposed to have really, really precise aim. icon_e_ugeek.gif
              • someguy wrote:
                doloriel wrote:

I think it mainly bugs me because it's friggin' Hawkeye. The guy is supposed to have really, really precise aim. icon_e_ugeek.gif

I think they are supposed to be arrows with some sort of explosive attached. If you have Dr Doom in your lineup, you could change all the blue tiles to black, then shoot his blue arrow.

I know that doesn't address the precise aim issue. It's a good idea but it probably would cost more AP.
              • The purple makes him pretty horrible. It's rare to actually save him and most of the time just means that he effectively gets your other characters killed much quicker.

The only use I've found is to make a daken/wolverine/hawkeye team to grind with (hawkeye doesn't take damage and wolvie and daken both regenerate, so most battles you end up with a healthy team, and if you ever do get injured, you just go fight some low level mooks to fill up).
              • Can we get a Hawkeye patch to not allow you to use his red ability if no red tiles are available? I've been running Wolverine/Daken/Hawkeye to farm ISO in SHIELD training and I've done it a few times where every tile is a strike tile and using Hawkeye's Blast Arrow just results in losing 10 AP. It's not a big deal but I think it would be nice to not allow it if there's no free tile.
              • I've changed my opinion on this guy and with C. Storm's yellow being such a dominant force in the meta, he really seems best built as 5/3/5.

Being able to hop & skip backwards pretty much anytime seems a lot more useful than auto-triggering Storm's yellow with Hawkeye's red. And, of course, there are way, way, waaaay better red AP damage characters in the game.

The purple makes his blue ability probably the most viable countdown ability in the game. Except that in R42, stuns now freeze countdown tiles...which means this guy may simply not be viable anymore period icon_e_sad.gif
              • Bugpop wrote:
                someguy wrote:
                doloriel wrote:

I think they are supposed to be arrows with some sort of explosive attached. If you have Dr Doom in your lineup, you could change all the blue tiles to black, then shoot his blue arrow.

I know that doesn't address the precise aim issue. It's a good idea but it probably would cost more AP.

I guess it just bugs me you can't guarantee which blue/red tile is going to be changed. It pisses me off when it hits right where a three match is because I can pretty much guarantee I won't see it trigger. It doesn't necessarily have to be such a precise aim that I can replace any tile with my countdown tile but at least let me have the option of which blue/red gets changed. Considering there's also the issue that if you use your red ability but didn't notice all red's are strike tiles you just wasted 10 AP.
              • doloriel wrote:
                I guess it just bugs me you can't guarantee which blue/red tile is going to be changed. It pisses me off when it hits right where a three match is because I can pretty much guarantee I won't see it trigger. It doesn't necessarily have to be such a precise aim that I can replace any tile with my countdown tile but at least let me have the option of which blue/red gets changed. Considering there's also the issue that if you use your red ability but didn't notice all red's are strike tiles you just wasted 10 AP.

I've run into that with IM40 paired with Spider Man. Most, or all yellow tiles are web tiles and I choose to use his ability to generate more red and blue so I can have more blue AP before they are un-stunned. Then I lose the 10 yellow. I could have used web bandages instead.
              • I don't know when this actually happened but they changed the way his avoid happend with effects of the entire team. Now the character who jumps to the front does get double the damage. So I think the total damage disappearance was not intended. Actually a nerf for poor Hawkeye...I like him nonetheless icon_e_wink.gif
              • Mommson wrote:
                I don't know when this actually happened but they changed the way his avoid happend with effects of the entire team. Now the character who jumps to the front does get double the damage. So I think the total damage disappearance was not intended. Actually a nerf for poor Hawkeye...I like him nonetheless icon_e_wink.gif

Wha-huh?? That sucks! icon_e_surprised.gif

Seriously, I don't understand why you'd want to use this ability, or this character, now.

His purple seemed like the best thing about him, but if it sets up another one of your guys to die... icon_e_confused.gif
              • So is 5/3/5 still the ideal build or 5/4/4 is fine too ? icon_e_surprised.gif
              This discussion has been closed.