Feedback on buffed 5*... This is very bad.

2»

Comments

• OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just hit 1k in children of the atom as well and having a boosted 8 cover oml made the climb easy but very very boring. Beating everything with match damage (the most efficient way to use lol is without transforming) was a sharp reminder of why I decided not level oml and keep him at 300.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    Well, I and my 1-black-cover OML found it to be pretty engaging. Normally he's unplayable but tack on a hundred levels and suddenly he's relevant, and offers a genuinely interesting playstyle.

I mean...doesn't this just point out almost everything wrong with the 5*'s, and particularly the buffs?

If you went into any event with a 1/1/1 2*, 3*, or 4* - even buffed - you would be the top target.

I haven't hit my 2.5 year cover drop yet so I don't have my third OML color. I commented to my team-mates the other day that next time this event runs I'll have a 1/1/1 OML and I might as well max him to 310 or whatever - and he'll be VASTLY superior in both level and match-damage to any of the 4*'s that are buffed in this event. That's a problem!

I'm still a target. I'm always a target, since my roster is not remotely competitive. I starting getting pulled down by the zombie horde before I hit 600, and am now sitting at barely over 300. I'm just saying the matches were fun.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm still a target. I'm always a target, since my roster is not remotely competitive. I starting getting pulled down by the zombie horde before I hit 600, and am now sitting at barely over 300. I'm just saying the matches were fun.
    got news for you. no matter what you have, unless its a full set of 550s, you'll be a target to someone. my new shiny 405 OML can't sit in the 600s without getting beat down. like I told someone else - 270s will get hit by 330s, boosted 350s and 360 5*s will get hit by 405s, 405s will get hit by 450s. its playing the push/shield/hop game correctly. I'm convinced that taking oml to 405 will make a negligible difference in pvp. makes a large difference in other areas, but very small in pvp (so far anyway).
  • ramoramo86
    ramoramo86 Posts: 89 Match Maker
    atomzed wrote:
    Disclaimer: I have a 10 cover, level 405 OML.

Despite having a huge buff to my OML in the Xmen pvp, I don't find it fun at all.

At level 502, my oml was doing 2100 - 2700 match dmg on his strong colours. In one of the match, I managed to deal 10k match dmg with a black critical and 2 strike tiles out.

10K. MATCH DMG.

Even though I am on the advantage for this pvp with my buffed Oml, I didn't find it fun. I also dread the day that we have to faced level 550 5* daily... It is really crazy.

Hence I really want to tell D3... Please don't buff the 5* ever again. They are too strong... They don't need a buff.

I don't see the problem doing this during the off season, yes its a bit crazy and having Phoenix and OML that strong isn't fair to most but its off season bro, enjoy it.
  • JamesV
    JamesV Posts: 98 Match Maker
    ramoramo86 wrote:
    atomzed wrote:
    Disclaimer: I have a 10 cover, level 405 OML.

Despite having a huge buff to my OML in the Xmen pvp, I don't find it fun at all.

At level 502, my oml was doing 2100 - 2700 match dmg on his strong colours. In one of the match, I managed to deal 10k match dmg with a black critical and 2 strike tiles out.

10K. MATCH DMG.

Even though I am on the advantage for this pvp with my buffed Oml, I didn't find it fun. I also dread the day that we have to faced level 550 5* daily... It is really crazy.

Hence I really want to tell D3... Please don't buff the 5* ever again. They are too strong... They don't need a buff.

I don't see the problem doing this during the off season, yes its a bit crazy and having Phoenix and OML that strong isn't fair to most but its off season bro, enjoy it.

I would argue the problem is the fact that some people need the progression reward. If you want to make the off-season be goof off fun times where the 5* get to rampage thats fine. Then do offseason rewards to match.

As it stands now, I'm going to have to wait 3 rotations before X-23 red is up again solely because none of my 5* stars in fighting shape (because random).
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mod note: moving to Suggestions and Feedback, leaving shadow topic in general.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    TxMoose wrote:
    got news for you. no matter what you have, unless its a full set of 550s, you'll be a target to someone. my new shiny 405 OML can't sit in the 600s without getting beat down. like I told someone else - 270s will get hit by 330s, boosted 350s and 360 5*s will get hit by 405s, 405s will get hit by 450s. its playing the push/shield/hop game correctly. I'm convinced that taking oml to 405 will make a negligible difference in pvp. makes a large difference in other areas, but very small in pvp (so far anyway).
    Well, when I say "pulled down by the zombie horde" I don't mean just getting hit. I mean getting hit multiple times for every match I complete. Regardless, my point was that I was having fun regardless of my failure to dominate the game.
  • LuciferianX
    LuciferianX Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    JamesV wrote:
    I can definitely see how it could be fun, but if you don't have the covers for the 5*, it's basically a sign on the door telling you "Go away".

When 90% of the matches are 430+ OML and Phoenix + a 350ish character, it turns every fight into an obnoxious gruel.

Actually, it's not like a sign telling me to go away. It was a bouncer, who cracked his scarred knuckles, and said "What do you want here, bub?"

I don't think I ever ran so fast in all my life. This is not fun. This is the antithesis of fun. It's unbeatable unless you have them, which means that with my 3*/4* transition team (1 championed 4 star), I am... so far out of my league that it's comical. And if by some slim chance I am playing? How long until I get trounced by the buckets of people in my heat who have 550 OML/PHX? I can't maintain position and I'm not going to waste HP shield hopping.

I can't say "HELL NO" loudly enough here.
  • LuciferianX
    LuciferianX Posts: 163 Tile Toppler
    That doesn't make sense.

If they aren't buffed 100+ levels, how is someone going to pummel my 3*/4* team into the dirt in less than six matches? What about the children?

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, when I say "pulled down by the zombie horde" I don't mean just getting hit. I mean getting hit multiple times for every match I complete. Regardless, my point was that I was having fun regardless of my failure to dominate the game.
    yeah, sorry about that - my response came across a little snippy. was a little frustrated at the time by the realization of just how many 5* teams are out there. its a ton. when 270 was everything there was in the game, you could actually field a team that people skipped. now that's just not the case for any except for a handful of megawhales, and they get to queue just each other and trade hits.

i enjoyed this event mainly because it was the first time i really took on challenges with a character I really don't have much playing time with yet. i actually took down some champed OMLs and phoenixes (but not 2 together) with OML/xpool/ice. a few weeks ago i would never have dreamed of even contemplating taking that on. i used it as a learning experience and scraped and clawed my way to 1300. lost OML only once and didn't lose that match.

overall i agree that buffing 5*s is not an overall positive experience for most of the playerbase.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    TxMoose wrote:
    yeah, sorry about that - my response came across a little snippy. was a little frustrated at the time by the realization of just how many 5* teams are out there. its a ton. when 270 was everything there was in the game, you could actually field a team that people skipped. now that's just not the case for any except for a handful of megawhales, and they get to queue just each other and trade hits.

i enjoyed this event mainly because it was the first time i really took on challenges with a character I really don't have much playing time with yet. i actually took down some champed OMLs and phoenixes (but not 2 together) with OML/xpool/ice. a few weeks ago i would never have dreamed of even contemplating taking that on. i used it as a learning experience and scraped and clawed my way to 1300. lost OML only once and didn't lose that match.

overall i agree that buffing 5*s is not an overall positive experience for most of the playerbase.
    This event was weird because the 5* MMR didn't seem to apply as it normally does. Typically a roster with a 400+ 5* would really struggle to find those single cover 270 4* teams, but this event those teams were boosted to 370 pushing them into 5* MMR territory. So my 553 Phoenix was finding easy level 370+ teams all event.

Also, I disagree that only megawhales get skips. Anyone with 1 or more level 400s on their roster will see skips, and I know of at least a couple FtP guys with rosters that strong.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hey, looky! IM46 buffed for "Earth's Mightiest".

Guess it's a thing now.

I don't so much mind 5*s being buffed .... hey it makes those baby 5s a bit more viable, but again I do take issue with the degree of the buff due to the extreme scaling 5*s enjoy.

They ought to be buffing fewer levels, not more than 4*s, just as 4*s gain fewer levels than 3*s, and for the same reason.

I do mind the 5* being buffed, because the power scale doesn't scale linearly, but exponentially. The difference of 50 level between a level 400 and level 350, is very different between a level 550 and level 500 5*.

I really don't think they need a buff to be competitive.

Another issue I have with buffed 5* is that you can't really play around their abilities. Ap denial doesn't work because their match dmg is so freaking strong, a cascade or a match 5 can deal upwards of 10k - 20k dmg, instantly wiping out any team.

Is that fun? I don't think so.