Feedback on buffed 5*... This is very bad.

atomzed
atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
Disclaimer: I have a 10 cover, level 405 OML.

Despite having a huge buff to my OML in the Xmen pvp, I don't find it fun at all.

At level 502, my oml was doing 2100 - 2700 match dmg on his strong colours. In one of the match, I managed to deal 10k match dmg with a black critical and 2 strike tiles out.

10K. MATCH DMG.

Even though I am on the advantage for this pvp with my buffed Oml, I didn't find it fun. I also dread the day that we have to faced level 550 5* daily... It is really crazy.

Hence I really want to tell D3... Please don't buff the 5* ever again. They are too strong... They don't need a buff.

Comments

• HxiiiK
    HxiiiK Posts: 195 Tile Toppler
    We instantly saw the problem when we saw OML and Phoenix buffed, I don't understand why the dev team didn't
  • atomzed
    OJSP wrote:
    When you said in one of the matches.. it's not when you beat me, is it? icon_lol.gif

I'm just hoping that there are plenty of other non-5* players around to create enough points in the bracket. Otherwise, it's going to be a long way to 1000 for non-5* players.. let alone 1300.

It could be you... icon_razz.gif

And to add to your point, I have very little confidence there will be enough points to even get to 1000. Slice 1 has been dry after the departure of those big alliances. Coupled with the 5* buff list AND it being off season, I think very few players can make 1.3k... Even with a lot of hopping.

Maybe the BC can make a difference... We will see.

(Personally I just want the 1000 red X23 reward. I need 2 more covers for her to max her)
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    While that is your opinion, I bet logistically it inspires people to want five stars EVEN more. $$$
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I think D3 is using offseason as an experiment to see what the player experience/engagement is like if 5* is buffed. I agreed that the majority of the playerbase will not find it fun. But if it turns out that players are still wiling to spend $$$ on shield/boosts (for whatever reason), then we may see 5* buffed along w/ the other star tiers in the normal season sooner or later.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    puppychow wrote:
    I think D3 is using offseason as an experiment to see what the player experience/engagement is like if 5* is buffed. I agreed that the majority of the playerbase will not find it fun. But if it turns out that players are still wiling to spend $$$ on shield/boosts (for whatever reason), then we may see 5* buffed along w/ the other star tiers in the normal season sooner or later.

This would definitely be the thing to get me to break my MPQ addiction. I did one match in ATOM PVP and hated it. My best 5* is Silver Surfer, who has yet to receive a buff in anyway, yet because he's level 435, all I see are level 500+ OML/PHX teams.

Good times indeed...
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wish I didn't need that x23 cover. Otherwise I'd take the off season off.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    The playerbase needs to come together already and just start screaming at the dev's that 5*'s HAVE TOO MUCH FREE STATS and need to be cracked in the face already.

Just enough, it's so friggen dumb I can't stand it anymore, match damage in the god damn thousands when champed, THOUSANDS, a max champed 4*...131 low/168 high per tile **** is this large gap?

Here you want some HP too? let's try around 70-90K range, are we having fun yet?

There is NO CONTEST again these effin monsters unless you have them yourself.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a 450 Phoenix.

I see -no- reason -any- 5* should -ever- be buffed.
  • Pants1000
    Pants1000 Posts: 484 Mover and Shaker
    Am I the only one who likes it? I wouldn't like it every time, but I have a 330 OML and it's fun to see what he'll be like with an extra 100 levels.

I also have a level 255 Phoenix with 6 covers, and this gives me a chance to see what she'd be like if I did level her up.
  • JamesV
    JamesV Posts: 98 Match Maker
    Pants1000 wrote:
    Am I the only one who likes it? I wouldn't like it every time, but I have a 330 OML and it's fun to see what he'll be like with an extra 100 levels.

I also have a level 255 Phoenix with 6 covers, and this gives me a chance to see what she'd be like if I did level her up.

I can definitely see how it could be fun, but if you don't have the covers for the 5*, it's basically a sign on the door telling you "Go away".

When 90% of the matches are 430+ OML and Phoenix + a 350ish character, it turns every fight into an obnoxious gruel.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    HxiiiK wrote:
    We instantly saw the problem when we saw OML and Phoenix buffed, I don't understand why the dev team didn't

Even before then we knew the problem.

They allowed people to test out the shiny new Silver Surfer against the then top class 4*s of Hulkbuster, Ice Man and Jean Grey (pretty sure it was Ice Man).
    Silver Surfer, by himself, could stomp them without much trouble. People on the forum were actually having a competition as to who could lose that fight while doing the least damage. People were trying that and *accidentally winning*.

It's no wonder they dropped the idea of tester nodes for 5*s soon after that.
  • atomzed
    HxiiiK wrote:

Even before then we knew the problem.

They allowed people to test out the shiny new Silver Surfer against the then top class 4*s of Hulkbuster, Ice Man and Jean Grey (pretty sure it was Ice Man).
    Silver Surfer, by himself, could stomp them without much trouble. People on the forum were actually having a competition as to who could lose that fight while doing the least damage. People were trying that and *accidentally winning*.

It's no wonder they dropped the idea of tester nodes for 5*s soon after that.

Agree... And buffing them makes it much worse! The match dmg is really crazy...
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Well, I and my 1-black-cover OML found it to be pretty engaging. Normally he's unplayable but tack on a hundred levels and suddenly he's relevant, and offers a genuinely interesting playstyle. One of the more fun PvPs for my degree of roster development.

Just adding another data point. Buffing characters sucks when it means that you're completely locked in to what you can play, but when buffing brings up generally useless characters in your roster to the point where they can be used for a while, I think that's awesome.

(If this was another game, I'd be posting in the hope that devs would see that there's a middle ground and try to develop it. Since it's MPQ, I guess I'm just posting to give them fewer excuses for not doing that, in hopes that someday their near-infinite supply of them will dry up.)
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am having a great time in this event, even though i only have a 400 OML, it's nice to just farm iso.

What we need now , is a Spiderverse offseason PVP with BSSM and Gobby boosted!
  • trat73
    trat73 Posts: 79 Match Maker
    One of the main drawbacks I've experienced in 5* land is that it really limits your roster in PVP. Having two maxed 5*'s is great, but there's never a time you would replace them in your lineup (maybe a maxed RHulk when he's boosted). I'd much rather 4*'s boosted enough to be legitimate alternatives to a max 5*. Or better yet, have the occasional PVP where 5*'s are locked out.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP wrote:
    When you said in one of the matches.. it's not when you beat me, is it? icon_lol.gif

I'm just hoping that there are plenty of other non-5* players around to create enough points in the bracket. Otherwise, it's going to be a long way to 1000 for non-5* players.. let alone 1300.

If it's any consolation, I skipped you last night. I climbed from the 300s, I think and shielded at 1100. Lucked into 2 cupcakes at the end of the climb hit the first after I found out they were shielded and baked my own off the 2nd after I found out they were shielded. The 2nd popped up again in my cache, and I probably should've hit it again to reset my defensive team, but I didn't like the idea of staying out even longer.
    JamesV wrote:
    Pants1000 wrote:

I can definitely see how it could be fun, but if you don't have the covers for the 5*, it's basically a sign on the door telling you "Go away".

When 90% of the matches are 430+ OML and Phoenix + a 350ish character, it turns every fight into an obnoxious gruel.

I liked it as well, but that's because in the 5* world, I'm in the middle. There are "have mores" and there are "have lesses". I can beat the "have lesses" and usually the "have mores" are stuck in 5* MMR Hell, so we don't often get matched up. I was using my 360 3/1/3 OML, 330 3/1/1 Phoenix and 200 5/5/3 XFDP, who were boosted to 455, 423 and 276. I only got one attack in the 900s from someone retal'ing. My XFDP being underleveled, means it takes lower damage to trigger his passive, which was usually going off if any of the 5* teams were making match 4s.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to eventually champ my OML if the covers ever come in, but this did help me decide. I will probably stop any other 5* around 360/375 just so I don't get bumped into 5* MMR Hell.
  • PeterGibbons316
    PeterGibbons316 Posts: 1,063
    Malcrof wrote:
    I am having a great time in this event, even though i only have a 400 OML, it's nice to just farm iso.

What we need now , is a Spiderverse offseason PVP with BSSM and Gobby boosted!
    Same here. My champed Phoenix does 19k for 9 red AP, and if I can get her to go down and rise.....36k AoE for 9 green. Yesterday I climbed from 800-1000 on fights worth less than 10 pts. I've got her paired with Iceman and she actually tanks blue over him (which is completely nuts), so I have a cheap stun to use on fellow OML/JG teams without risking losing him because he is never out front.

Definitely makes me wish I had another 100 champ levels for her.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've got her paired with Iceman and she actually tanks blue over him (which is completely nuts), so I have a cheap stun to use on fellow OML/JG teams without risking losing him because he is never out front.

I'm running my level 450 OML (boosted to 549) along with champed 4Cyke and champed Teen Jean. OML tanks EVERY color, which is even more insane since he heals 9k/turn. So the only time I have to even think about a healthpack is when I take AoE damage, or another high-level 5* gets a crazy cascade.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have a lv 405 oml. tbh, most off-season events are non-starters for me. People just don't play that much, so it's hard to get above 600 points. I pretty much give up trying to hit the 1300 that's usually pretty easy during season.

So I don't really like it any more or less than the usual events. But yeah if they had boosted 5*s regularly during season, then that would be pretty bad.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, I and my 1-black-cover OML found it to be pretty engaging. Normally he's unplayable but tack on a hundred levels and suddenly he's relevant, and offers a genuinely interesting playstyle.

I mean...doesn't this just point out almost everything wrong with the 5*'s, and particularly the buffs?

If you went into any event with a 1/1/1 2*, 3*, or 4* - even buffed - you would be the top target.

I haven't hit my 2.5 year cover drop yet so I don't have my third OML color. I commented to my team-mates the other day that next time this event runs I'll have a 1/1/1 OML and I might as well max him to 310 or whatever - and he'll be VASTLY superior in both level and match-damage to any of the 4*'s that are buffed in this event. That's a problem!