Best Abilities by Colour [Polls] (RESULTS ARE IN)

Options
2»

Comments

• Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Really surprised Switch's greenflag.png rated one of the 3 worst in the game!?! If you have it at five it is really, really good in PvE for gaining AP and board control/tile removal. Yes that means you need to reduce other covers and I reduce her purpleflag.png to 3 because I can normally pair her up with a better purpleflag.png power than her own. Her purpleflag.png is only mediocre in my opinion, her purpleflag.png purple generation is her key ability. I often pair her with Blade, IF or DP who have much better purpleflag.png purple powers than her. That allows you to fully utilize her greenflag.png power. I think this is an issue where people only look at greenflag.png with 3 covers, in which case yes it is a bad power as are many of the powers at 3 covers.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    People are still upset they fixed the bug that caused Hex Bolt to gather double AP.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Warbringa wrote:
    Really surprised Switch's greenflag.png rated one of the 3 worst in the game!?! If you have it at five it is really, really good in PvE for gaining AP and board control/tile removal. Yes that means you need to reduce other covers and I reduce her purpleflag.png to 3 because I can normally pair her up with a better purpleflag.png power than her own. Her purpleflag.png is only mediocre in my opinion, her purpleflag.png purple generation is her key ability. I often pair her with Blade, IF or DP who have much better purpleflag.png purple powers than her. That allows you to fully utilize her greenflag.png power. I think this is an issue where people only look at greenflag.png with 3 covers, in which case yes it is a bad power as are many of the powers at 3 covers.

I agree that it's better to have her green at 5 that her purple. And still I don't love that power. I've been screwed by it just too many times when trying to collect AP I desperately need. I really dislike her a character in general. Way too much randomness. Some games she'll give you 10 purple and a huge cascade in turn 4 and you win right away, but a whole lot of games she keeps placing the blue CD on a corner or matched immediately with other 2 blue tiles or in a position where the opponent will definitely match it away the next turn and by the end of the game, she has literally done nothing at all (and that probably meant that you lost the game).
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    Bumping this a bit. Maybe could we get it to sticky for a while? icon_e_smile.gif
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Done! Damn so many great passives, that one was hard to pick icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    Houtro wrote:
    Done! Damn so many great passives, that one was hard to pick icon_e_biggrin.gif

It's hard to be down on something that's free. That's why the ones that "take" in addition to giving occupy the top positions in the "worst" category.
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    Updated the OP.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    UPDATE

Well it's been two weeks and 300 people have participated in the poll so far. Unfortunately, as I mentioned in another post, SurveyMonkey cuts off results at 100 count for the free accounts. It's a well hidden limitation that I only noticed once we were over that mark and probably I wouldn't have used the platform if I knew in advance. Nevertheless, that's how it is and there are two options to go from here: The first is to just use the 100-people results. The second is to get a one-month subscription to SM (AU$24) to see the results (and perhaps take advantage of it and make several other polls). Problem is that right now I cannot afford it and I don't even know if it would provide that much value for the community anyway. What do you people think?

Maybe there is a simpler solution to the problem, use the 100-people results as effectively choosing the finalists and put up polls on here for each category.
  • chaos01
    chaos01 Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Crowl wrote:

Maybe there is a simpler solution to the problem, use the 100-people results as effectively choosing the finalists and put up polls on here for each category.

This is a great idea. If you need any help I can do it later today.
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    chaos01 wrote:
    Crowl wrote:

This is a great idea. If you need any help I can do it later today.

Hmm I'm unconvinced that we need "finalists". We'd basically take a smaller sample of choices and run it over a smaller sample of people... seems to me as though we'd be getting less trustworthy results.
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    Funnily enough, I actually got a couple dozens more poll responses since I bumped the thread, but not much feedback here, so I'm not sure people are even reading the update? I'm just going to go ahead and post the results of the first 100 answerers. If anybody is interested in knowing the full results, please feel free to send me a couple bucks via Paypal. If I get at least half what I need for the platform upgrade ($24) I'll put the other half myself. (And I'll make a bunch of other polls to take advantage of it.)

EDIT. Results are now up! Check the second post of this thread. I'll also be making a full analysis of the results in an independent thread later on.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    These are pretty interesting, and I wonder on some of the results if people were trolling or misclicked? IE, who put Jab Jab Punch as one of the worst black abilities, or whiteout a worst green? Someone either made a mistake or is really bad at this game.
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    Meander wrote:
    These are pretty interesting, and I wonder on some of the results if people were trolling or misclicked? IE, who put Jab Jab Punch as one of the worst black abilities, or whiteout a worst green? Someone either made a mistake or is really bad at this game.

It's usually the case that you have one or two trolls plus some people who act out of spite or ignorance: "I always lose to Mind Over Matter! I hate it, it's the worst!" or "eh, I tried playing with my 1-cover Dormmamu's Aid and it sucked. I don't get the hype." It's ok, though. The sample is big enough that such contamination is inconsequential.
  • Meander
    Meander Posts: 267 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    29 Energy Absorption (3* Captain Marvel) 1-4 = -3 yellowtile.png
    30 Adamantium Bones (2* Bullseye) 2-9 = -7 purpletile.png
    31 Healing & Heat (2* and 3* Daken) 1-10 = -9 blacktile.png
    31 Spider-Sense (3* Spider-Man) 0-9 = -9 purpletile.png
    33 Insult to Injury (Dr. Octopus) 2-13 = -11 blacktile.png
    33 Seeing Red (Red Hulk) 2-13 = -11 redtile.png
    35 Supersonic (Quicksilver) 2-14 = -12 bluetile.png
    36 Raging Tempest (2* Storm) 2-16 = -14 yellowtile.png
    37 Life of the Party (3* Deadpool) 4-21 = -17 blacktile.png
    38 Master of the Fantastic (Mr. Fantastic) 0-29 = -29 yellowtile.png
    38 Healing Factor (2* Wolverine) 0-29 = -29 yellowtile.png
    40 Alien Instincts (Carnage) 1-32 = -31 blacktile.png
    41 Give and Take (4* Venom) 0-32 = -32 blacktile.png

After delving further into the results, I find this part fascinating. Some of these are deserved (Give and Take, Seeing Red), but I've never thought to myself that tempest, Alien instincts, healing factor, energy absorption or Supersonic were awful. And Insult to Injury is nearly the only reason I ever play with Doc Oc. Clearly a lot of these are spite votes (Alien Instincts, Adamantium Bones), but I would have expected the truly bad abilities (Fantastic, Seeing Red) or the underpowered ones (Spider Sense, LotP) take over.
  • Pylgrim
    Options
    Meander wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:
    29 Energy Absorption (3* Captain Marvel) 1-4 = -3 yellowtile.png
    30 Adamantium Bones (2* Bullseye) 2-9 = -7 purpletile.png
    31 Healing & Heat (2* and 3* Daken) 1-10 = -9 blacktile.png
    31 Spider-Sense (3* Spider-Man) 0-9 = -9 purpletile.png
    33 Insult to Injury (Dr. Octopus) 2-13 = -11 blacktile.png
    33 Seeing Red (Red Hulk) 2-13 = -11 redtile.png
    35 Supersonic (Quicksilver) 2-14 = -12 bluetile.png
    36 Raging Tempest (2* Storm) 2-16 = -14 yellowtile.png
    37 Life of the Party (3* Deadpool) 4-21 = -17 blacktile.png
    38 Master of the Fantastic (Mr. Fantastic) 0-29 = -29 yellowtile.png
    38 Healing Factor (2* Wolverine) 0-29 = -29 yellowtile.png
    40 Alien Instincts (Carnage) 1-32 = -31 blacktile.png
    41 Give and Take (4* Venom) 0-32 = -32 blacktile.png

After delving further into the results, I find this part fascinating. Some of these are deserved (Give and Take, Seeing Red), but I've never thought to myself that tempest, Alien instincts, healing factor, energy absorption or Supersonic were awful. And Insult to Injury is nearly the only reason I ever play with Doc Oc. Clearly a lot of these are spite votes (Alien Instincts, Adamantium Bones), but I would have expected the truly bad abilities (Fantastic, Seeing Red) or the underpowered ones (Spider Sense, LotP) take over.

Poor Quicksilver is still suffering from his initial reputation (first impressions DO matter!) See the poor scores that Idle hands and Fists of Fury got. He's now decidedly top-of-the-middle class, but top of the middle doesn't get many "best" votes. In the meantime, all the people that thinks that he still sucks will happily use their "worst" votes on him.