Would you pay half of your weekly ISO for a 4* cover?

SnowcaTT
SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
For arguments sake, let's just make the number -your- number: would you pay HALF the ISO you earn in a week for a 4* cover OF YOUR CHOICE? (I realize I changed the thread title but not the poll title which I can't modify - Assume "half the ISO" not "all")

Curious what folks think the value of a 4* cover is, now that 4*'s are everywhere (and matter much less in a 5* game), but ISO is so rare and in demand.

I ran the first ISO-8 Brotherhood (double ISO) sub and got about 10K ISO out of it. Extrapolate out for a week, and that would be 70K - that would be more than half of a week's worth for me, ymmv. At this point, the ISO is so rare and the 4*'s are so common that I'm much more desperate for that ISO! Then again, I have something like 20 4*'s with 13 covers and not enough ISO to level them.

Now there are 33 4*'s in the game....99 4* covers you can get...495 covers in total you'd currently need to cover them all. Each month approximately two new 4*'s are added....six more different 4* covers, 30 more 4* covers you need in total. My early guess is (mostly) the extreme whales or the 3* transitioners that need to get their first 4*'s going would ever pay that much for a 4* cover. Originally I was thinking of polling "all of your ISO", but then thought: even if you pay half of your ISO, you could only buy two covers a week - that's buying 8 covers in a month that 30 were released, and having no ISO left over to level those characters.

Why do I ask/wonder? COROLLARY: if you are unwilling to pay that much for a 4* cover, you shouldn't jump late into ISO-8 brotherhood; the ISO you'll get in this double-ISO event is likely much more valuable to you. [If you are trying to be in T100 alliance and T20 personally this value would obviously change - but so will the amount of ISO you use to get those rewards].
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ask me again for a 5* and my answer might change.
  • Azoth658
    Azoth658 Posts: 348 Mover and Shaker
    And I thought my polls were nuts.

Pay iso for the very thing that will make me need more iso??? icon_lol.gif

You joke but early players can buy a standard token for 500 ISO...

Let me buy a 4* token (not legendary) for 5000 ISO and I would bite your arm off for the opportunity.

Yes I would desperately need the ISO to level them but getting them in the first place is tiny kitty hard for a 3* transition player.

I'm on day 716 and my highest 4* is X-23 who I can level to 192. I have only one 4* cover maxed and that's IW yellow.

Hell you know what. Give me a new token with guarenteed 4*s for cheaper and make the LT 5*s only but cost 250 CP icon_razz.gif

Only kidding it's Thursday afternoon here and I've lost my mind at work.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    I of course would not.

I would however do the reverse, and trade my earned 4* covers for 3.5 days of Iso.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I of course would not.

I would however do the reverse, and trade my earned 4* covers for 3.5 days of Iso.
    sign me up for that over and over and over and over. and eventually, i'll have them champed and can use the covers again.
  • Bulls
    Bulls Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    This depends of personal iso income as well icon_e_wink.gif For example I'm not even sure If I would pay half of my -curent- weekly iso income for 5* cover, let alone for any 4*. But if it would mean that I can nearly stop playing at all for a week (let say just do dpdq...) well no, who am I kidding - that would mean skipping 2,5 pvp events - so that's 6 4* covers). So yeah, In my case answer is - not gonna happen. But other way around - I would probably sell any legendary token for let's say... 50k iso.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    Your thread title is in conflict with your poll question.

Also, is this a random 4*, it one of my choice?
  • SnowcaTT
    edited May 2016
    firethorne wrote:
    Your thread title is in conflict with your poll question.

Also, is this a random 4*, it one of my choice?

Oh, you can choose. Any cover you want, half of your ISO for the week. I'm thinking of a button like the old HP (current CP) one: click it and you up your cover number on that 4* by one. They'd probably have to set a ISO number (75K? 60K?) - that's why I just went with "your ISO" to make it easier to decide.

The problem, as Dayv mentions, is it's a 4* cover...there are so many, and they aren't 5*'s so they don't matter.

Yeah, sorry about the two titles - I started the thread saying "all your ISO", thought even "half of your ISO" was crazy...changed the thread title but forgot to change poll title, and can't edit the poll after posting. Had that in there but in the middle - mioved it to top and bolded with "of your choice" to make it more apparent.

aesthetocyst tells me you can edit posts - and by gum, there is a separate tab to do it! Thanks!
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    I make 20-30k/day, conservatively I'll say 175k/week, half of that for ONE 4☆ cover? NEVER! A 5☆cover, maybe
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Azoth658 wrote:
    You joke but early players can buy a standard token for 500 ISO

Don't EVER buy those. The only time I get those are accidental button presses after opening a stack of standards.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    I make probably 20k a day, so about 140k or so a week. 70k iso for a guaranteed 4* cover, probably yes I would. For the top 4*s at least. Not just to max out Star Lord one day.

My one and only champed 4* is Red Hulk champed only about 2 weeks ago, who is making a huge difference in play for me. He destroys things so fast that I am using less health packs for everything. 4-5 clears of each node in this pve and maybe 1 health pack used? That means I can play a lot more and get a lot more rewards, including iso. Not to mention I can hit 1k easier and just started to be able to hit 1300 in pvp. This means many more pvp fights, which are good for more iso, and of course extra 4* and cp rewards. All for a mere 70k iso? Sign me up. I'll make it back and then some.

Now if I was much later in the 4* transition where another 4* would not help much, then no I wouldn't.

If I was a brand new player I might, skip the 3* stage entirely then, as iso can be grabbed fairly easily at any stage (obviously not enough of it, but that's not the question). If they make half the iso that I do, 13 weeks to get a maxed IMHB? All of a sudden 3 months into the game and 4* are maxed covered. And here I am on day 430 with my first champed one.

Many stages of the game would be sped up from that. Unfortunately it would do next to nothing and likely be a waste for those who have 3 or 4 top tier 4s already
  • avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    Seeing as I can't get Iceman covers to save my life, I would do this to finish him off, then probably never again. I'm just desperate for his covers (possibly Nova, not sure)
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2016
    I'm a 3* transition player with a soft capped roster around L100 and I have 800K (and growing) in ISO saved for eventually leveling 25 3* characters to 166 in lock step with increasing the champ levels on my 2*s.

In the meantime the 10 4*'s I have all only have 1-3 covers and I can only earn new ones with lucky heroic token draws (I have 350 CP and LTs saved for 4* transition). So for me the answer is 'hell ya' I'd happily trade 10K in ISO for a 4* cover for one of the 10 I have rostered especially if I could take it out of my 800K horde to get 15 covers immediately for 150K (I'd probably pay 20K for a cover of one of the top 5 4* characters).

This concept would let players transition from 2* to 4/5* land and bypass 3* land entirely.

KGB
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    avs962 wrote:
    Seeing as I can't get Iceman covers to save my life, I would do this to finish him off, then probably never again. I'm just desperate for his covers (possibly Nova, not sure)

Iceman covers coming soon in PVP rewards. In about a month. Should be a green at 1K.

I just checked the spreadsheet yesterday, that's the last one I need for him! I know I should be saving iso for that day, but it's sooo hard to not put it into my cover maxed xfdp!
  • SnowcaTT
    udonomefoo wrote:
    avs962 wrote:

Iceman covers coming soon in PVP rewards. In about a month. Should be a green at 1K.

I just checked the spreadsheet yesterday, that's the last one I need for him! I know I should be saving iso for that day, but it's sooo hard to not put it into my cover maxed xfdp!

Iceman was my unicorn as well, for some reason I was missing a bunch of covers for him. Then champed into one, got the one for Gauntlet, and pulled two more - finished all at once. Probably should race to his 1K cover to champ him before end of next season (though new characters...wouldn't surprise me if that event is pushed to off-season...)
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think this poll points out how much ISO is needed in this game. With late game players You can get any where from 114 to 139 CP a week from PVP and PVE and even more from championing your characters. You get 3 4* a week from getting 1k in PVP. So that could be a potential 9 4* a week from the game.

In ISO you need 365k in ISO to level one 4*. ISO is much more needed in this game over a specific 4*. If it is the 13th cover for a character I really want to max 1 weeks worth of CP is an easy pill to swallow compared to making me even farther behind in ISO. There is not that 1 game changing 4* to make buying it with ISO worth while.
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Absolutely. Considering how mind numbingly annoying it is to be missing that one particular cover to finish of a character you want to sink ISO into, having that option would be occasionally VERY useful. Being stuck at 5/5/2 or even 5/5/0 especially with a top tier character is just...not fun.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    Absolutely. Considering how mind numbingly annoying it is to be missing that one particular cover to finish of a character you want to sink ISO into, having that option would be occasionally VERY useful. Being stuck at 5/5/2 or even 5/5/0 especially with a top tier character is just...not fun.
    Yea but having 14 cover maxed 4* that need millions og ISO to be useful is still worse
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Never ever.

I've 14 champed 4*s, the only ones not cover-maxed are Venom, Quake, Punisher, Howard, Drax and Winter Soldier.

I'm not giving up 80K ISO for a cover.

Now, if it were a 5* you may have a deal.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm going this PVE from the get-go. I'm emotionally okay with not making top 100 and getting the new character. I really just need the ISO. Precisely 3.5 million at this point. So every bit counts. I know I'll never be able to catch up and that I'll never receive the 5*s I desperately need, and I'm emotionally okay with all of this at this point.
  • SnowcaTT
    wymtime wrote:
    I think this poll points out how much ISO is needed in this game.
    mpqr7 wrote:
    I'm going this PVE from the get-go. I'm emotionally okay with not making top 100 and getting the new character. I really just need the ISO.

Yep...there is a secondary reason that I wanted numbers for this poll...I'm curious and interested, but certainly it shows the game resource need has shifted dramatically. I'm also running PVE right away for the ISO, and not caring about the cover.

I think it's kind of like the "how much would you pay for a fully covered 4*" thread...while 4*'s covers are a problem for awhile for many players (you won't have fully covered new 4*'s for quite some time) - it is the ISO that eventually will be your bottle-kneck.

Hopefully what D3 sees is the demand for the 4* covers is low while the need is very high - and they start doing what they should, 4*'s should have been released everywhere 3*'s are months ago, and that change needs to be done immediately.