*** The Hood (Classic) ***

Unknown
edited October 2016 in Character Details
[anchor=thehood3]The Hood (Classic)[/anchor] icon_hood.png
3 Star Rarity (Rare) Discussion link. Wiki link.
At Max Level: HP: 5100 Tile damage: 79/13/70/12/11/61/4.5
    Twin Pistols - Yellow 15 yellowtile.png
    Parker Robbins fires his twin Lorcin .380’s, destroying two selected 3×3 blocks of tiles, dealing 11 damage per tile. Does not generate AP. Ends the turn.
      Level 2: Deals 21 damage per tile destroyed. Level 3: Deals 32 damage per tile destroyed. Level 4: Deals 54 damage per tile destroyed. Level 5: Deals 100 damage per tile destroyed. Max Level: Deals 317 damage per tile destroyed (5706 damage).
      Dormammu’s Aid - Blue PASSIVE
      (PASSIVE) The Dread One is always working in Parker’s life. Each turn there are more than 11 Blue or Purple tiles on the board, steal 1 AP of that color.
        Level 2: Requires 10 tiles. Level 3: Also steal Red and Green. Level 4: Requires 9 tiles. Level 5: Also steal Black and Yellow
        Intimidation - Black 9 blacktile.png
        The Hood demands results, threatening his allies so they work faster. Damages the target for 100 and reduces the timer on 1 random friendly Countdown tile(s) by 1.
          Level 2: Affects 2 Countdown tiles. Level 3: Affects 3 Countdown tiles. (Max 1043) Level 4: Affects 4 Countdown tiles. (and more damage?) Level 5: Affects all Countdown tiles.
        Max Level: 1186 damage

(older version below)
        (stat block added by moderator Nonce Equitaur)

[anchor=thehood3]The Hood (Classic)[/anchor]
        3 Star Rarity (Rare) Wiki link.
        At Max Level: HP: 4350 Tile damage: 67/12/60/11/10/52
          Twin Pistols - Yellow 18 AP
          Parker Robbins fires his twin Lorcin .380’s, destroying two selected 3x3 blocks of tiles, earning AP and dealing damage. Ends the turn.
          Level Upgrades
            Level 2: Costs 1 AP less. Level 3: Costs 1 AP less. Level 4: Costs 1 AP less. Level 5: Doesn’t end the turn.
            Dormammu’s Aid - Blue Passive
            (PASSIVE) The Dread One is always working in Parker’s life. Each turn there are more than 11 Blue or Purple tiles on the board, steal 1 AP of that color.
            Level Upgrades
              Level 2: Requires 10 tiles. Level 3: Also steal Red and Green. Level 4: Requires 9 tiles. Level 5: Also steal Black and Yellow
              Intimidation - Black 9 AP
              The Hood demands results, threatening his allies so they work faster. Damages the target for 100 and reduces the timer on 1 random friendly Countdown tile(s) by 1.
              Level Upgrades
                Level 2: Affects 2 Countdown tiles. Level 3: Affects 3 Countdown tiles. Level 4: Affects 4 Countdown tiles. (and more damage?) Level 5: Affects all Countdown tiles.
              Max Level: 1186 damage

(original post follows)

The Hood (Classic)
              3 Star Rarity (Rare)
              Twin Pistols - Yellow 18 AP
              Parker Robbins fires his twin Lorcin .380’s, destroying two selected 3x3 blocks of tiles, earning AP and dealing damage. Ends the turn.
              Level Upgrades
              Level 2: Costs 1 AP less.
              Level 3: Costs 1 AP less.
              Level 4: Costs 1 AP less.
              Level 5: Doesn’t end the turn.
              Dormammu’s Aid - Blue Passive
              Level Upgrades
              Level 2: Requires 10 tiles.
              Level 3: Also steal Red and Green.
              Level 4: Requires 9 tiles.
              Level 5: Also steal Black and Yellow
              Intimidation - Black 9 AP
              Level Upgrades
              Level 2: Affects 2 Countdown tiles.
              Level 3: Affects 3 Countdown tiles.
              Level 4: Affects 4 Countdown tiles.
              Level 5: Affects all Countdown tiles.

Has anybody found any good use for this guy? I have all 3 colors now, but I really don't see any reason to develop him.

It seems like 5/3/5 is pretty much the only way to go with his skills. Blue seems kinda useless.

Really seems kinda sucky that his yellow ends his turn (until level 5) also.

I guess you could use his black with Modern Hawkeye's red to reduce the countdowns and zap everybody on the other team, but otherwise? I dunno...not seeing a lot you can do with him. Maybe if you have level 5 blue on 2-star Magneto...? Clear the board a bunch of times? I dunno.
              Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Seems like one of those characters that will only shine when you max out his covers.
                Probably take you months to acheive that, though.
              • IceIX
                IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
                I've only got his blue at level 2 on Live, but The Hood is actually one of my go-to's when messing around on the dev environment.

His Twin Pistols are pretty much a game ender when it gets an opportunity to be used. 2x 3x3s means that you're popping 18 total tiles that *you* largely choose, gaining the AP from them and dealing damage. You can either use that to deal some heavy damage with tiles if The Hood has a bunch of his own strengths grouped together, or instantly power just about any other ability in the game through a large infusion of AP. Dormammu's Aid is great as well since there are often times when there are more than 11 tiles of any given color. It's not a *huge* boost, but the fact that it's passive makes it great for setting up for other moves while you concentrate on a single ability. As for Intimidate, it's somewhat substandard at this very moment as there are few Countdown Tile characters. It works wonderfully with Iron Man (Model 40)'s Recharge though. It's also fun (but not effective) to use Moonstone to steal a Grenadier's tile then blow it up almost instantly with Hood.
              • I disagree with your build. I think 5/5/3 is the way to go.
                Blue may not be insane, but it can net you free ap, and cost it from your opponent, that is always useful.

His yellow skill is sick, but unfortunately expensive. Before lvl 5 it lets you gain 18 ap, set up cascades and it can be used to create t and L 5's pretty easily. I imagine that would counter the draw back of ending the turn. (I don't know though)
                At lvl 5 it gets that much better, easier to set up 5's for your match, getting you even more ap.
                Again, the only problem is the high cost.

His black skill is probably the least useful, but as you've pointed out, it has a purpose. It deals damage, it can be mixed with modern hawkeye to do insane damage or marvel now magneto to clear the board/ do damage. I doubt you'll ever have more than 3 count down tiles on the board at once, so lvl 3 should suffice. This skill would also combine well with captain america and model 40 iron man's recharge.

He's definitely a tech character, and those are the most fun in my opinion.
              • IceIX wrote:
                It works wonderfully with Iron Man (Model 40)'s Recharge though.

Hmm yeah, totally missed that one. Probably a good way to farm lots of free AP fast...still, that's 2 slots on my team I'd have to take up for those characters. I'm hearing good things about Model 40's yellow, but that seems like his only good ability...hmm...
                Shamusyeah wrote:
                I disagree with your build. I think 5/5/3 is the way to go.
                Blue may not be insane, but it can net you free ap, and cost it from your opponent, that is always useful.

Hmm, didn't notice that level 5 steals yellow, so that is a good point...The Hood needs his yellow...
                Shamusyeah wrote:
                His yellow skill is sick, but unfortunately expensive. Before lvl 5 it lets you gain 18 ap, set up cascades and it can be used to create t and L 5's pretty easily. I imagine that would counter the draw back of ending the turn. (I don't know though)
                At lvl 5 it gets that much better, easier to set up 5's for your match, getting you even more ap.
                Again, the only problem is the high cost.

I think I was just whining a little. It's probably a good balancing factor, like Model 40 Iron Man's blue draining all AP. Just harder to justify when compared to stronger/cheaper skills like Ragnarok's green or Classic Storm's blue, which don't have crazy AP costs or turn-enders...
                Shamusyeah wrote:
                His black skill is probably the least useful, but as you've pointed out, it has a purpose. It deals damage, it can be mixed with modern hawkeye to do insane damage or marvel now magneto to clear the board/ do damage. I doubt you'll ever have more than 3 count down tiles on the board at once, so lvl 3 should suffice. This skill would also combine well with captain america and model 40 iron man's recharge.

I agree on everything you say here except for Cap icon_razz.gif Because Cap icon_e_wink.gif But yeah, other than Model 40 Iron Man, there wouldn't be much reason to have more than 1-2 countdown tiles on the board at once...of course, that could change in the future...

Great, now you guys might make me start playing this guy...

Since he does most of his damage with yellow, I can't seem myself playing him on a team without Thor.

That would open up a third slot for either Hawkeye or Magneto...decisions, decisions...
              • I really like him. He has very good abilities in a somewhat unique combination and he fits in well with most teams. He'll be a power house when people get him built up.
              • I don't think he works all that great with Thor. This guy's most awesome skill is his yellow, i wouldn't want to choose between raw damage from Thor and ap gain from hood. I think a good team would be hood, ragnarok and maybe spiderman or grey suit widow. Depends if you want mad damage or tech.
              • The only downside about the Hood is his Health Points. He has about the same Health Point rate as Classic Storm which is very low. Makes his an easy target to eliminate.
              • Unknown
                edited November 2013
                Shamusyeah wrote:
                I don't think he works all that great with Thor. This guy's most awesome skill is his yellow, i wouldn't want to choose between raw damage from Thor and ap gain from hood. I think a good team would be hood, ragnarok and maybe spiderman or grey suit widow. Depends if you want mad damage or tech.

Thor's red is fine, and his green is kind of OK. Being able to pull off multiple Hood yellows kind of seems like the point of the character, no? Also, hopefully, the Hood yellow would set up cascades to get more yellow for Thor?

Not sure I would bother playing Hood without a countdown tile character either. That would make his black a loooot less useful. 2-star Magneto seems to make the most sense since his 2 countdown abilities could be very, very strong and damaging if maxed out. Unfortunately, mine isn't set up that way icon_e_sad.gif

I'll run some tests with Magnus and Hawkeye (both of mine are very underleveled) and report back if I get a chance...
              • I think he looks like a lot of fun. I really want more covers of him (currently only have one) to go with my modern hawkeye (who also is much underrated, his blue skill has crazy AP/dmg ratio+4 turn stun). I would also build him 5/5/3 at the moment. I also think that he would fit in something like thor+hawkeye only to fuel those two and never using his yellow (or only on rare occasions). But yes, he seems a little bit problematic in defense, hm...
              • Mommson wrote:
                I think he looks like a lot of fun. I really want more covers of him (currently only have one) to go with my modern hawkeye (who also is much underrated, his blue skill has crazy AP/dmg ratio+4 turn stun). I would also build him 5/5/3 at the moment. I also think that he would fit in something like thor+hawkeye only to fuel those two and never using his yellow (or only on rare occasions). But yes, he seems a little bit problematic in defense, hm...

Well, Thor's there to tank, right?
              • someguy wrote:
                Mommson wrote:
                I think he looks like a lot of fun. I really want more covers of him (currently only have one) to go with my modern hawkeye (who also is much underrated, his blue skill has crazy AP/dmg ratio+4 turn stun). I would also build him 5/5/3 at the moment. I also think that he would fit in something like thor+hawkeye only to fuel those two and never using his yellow (or only on rare occasions). But yes, he seems a little bit problematic in defense, hm...

Well, Thor's there to tank, right?

Yes thats right but the Hood can't jump so cool like hawkeye icon_e_wink.gif But yes, if someone focused first on the Hood, the other two should already ramped up enough to avenge him icon_e_smile.gif
              • speaking of modern hawkeye and his purple avoid ability, i used a all team hit thinking hey, he's gonna die now.

nope, he avoided that too.
              • forgrim wrote:
                speaking of modern hawkeye and his purple avoid ability, i used a all team hit thinking hey, he's gonna die now.

yep, i think that's one of his strongest points but i don't know how many people actually know about it. the best thing is: the character who goes to the front does not take hawkeyes hit if he was already hit with the same ability, so the damage effectively disappears.
              • Mommson wrote:
                forgrim wrote:
                speaking of modern hawkeye and his purple avoid ability, i used a all team hit thinking hey, he's gonna die now.

yep, i think that's one of his strongest points but i don't know how many people actually know about it. the best thing is: the character who goes to the front does not take hawkeyes hit if he was already hit with the same ability, so the damage effectively disappears.

So Modern Hawkeye is a soft counter to Classic Storm's yellow huh...? icon_eek.gif

Aw man, I thought that guy sucked...now I might have to level him too... icon_rolleyes.gif
              • not only to her yellow, also to her blue
              • i counter high level modern hawkeye with board clearers, and covers that use pink.

venom does well against modern hawkeye
              • Good info guys, but in the context of using The Hood / Thor / Hawkeye, this doesn't seem to work as well.

Thor and Hawkeye both need red...Thor to generate yellow for The Hood, Hawkeye to damage the entire team.

Played a few PVE rounds and found myself struggling to get enough red.

I guess you could focus on Hawkeye's blue arrow, which is still pretty good, but...his red is really where it's at with that character.
              • If you would like to continue discussion about Hawkeye (Modern), please create a separate topic icon_e_smile.gif

And back to topic of The Hood.

I would really love to have more of his covers. Blue ability might not seem much, but it can help get that one AP needed for your skill or prevent enemy from using their skill. Also if I read it right, at level 5 it could possible give you all 6 colours... every turn. How awesome is that? icon_e_biggrin.gif

His yellow skill is quite expensive, but once you fired it, you should be set to kill icon_twisted.gif

As for his black, I think IceIX underestimated usefulness of this ability. There are already couple characters that could greatly benefit from it: Captain America (Modern), Magneto (Marvel NOW!), Hawkeye (Modern) and Iron Man (Model 40). I reckon it would be possible to make a decent Team Countdown, but countdowns are not really my cup of tea, so I will figuring out details to others icon_e_wink.gif

Personally I will go 5/5/3, because as I stated just above, I am not big fan of countdowns, but 3/5/5 or 5/3/5 could work as well with good plan.
              • Shikao wrote:
                If you would like to continue discussion about Hawkeye (Modern), please create a separate topic icon_e_smile.gif
                Please stop telling people off like this, it's unnecessary.
              • Shikao wrote:
                His yellow skill is quite expensive, but once you fired it, you should be set to kill icon_twisted.gif

I'm not sure what the big deal is; yes it gains you 18 tiles. Classic Storm's green ability costs only 12 AP, gains a ton of AP as well, and doesn't end the turn. Modern Storm does even better, with 10 AP for 16 tiles gain all the time.

What they need to do for The Hood is to reduce his yellow skill cost, and alter his black skill to some kind of damage reduction/avoidance ability. Otherwise, at such low health, he is just fair game every time. Doesn't last long enough in a game to utilise his mana leech as a deterrence in defence. Even when you consider Intimidate for allies with countdown tiles, just look at the level progression. Anything above level 3 is probably unnecessary.