Forum Thread

2»

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Some of those packages look amazing, but no way my wife would be ok with something that costs more than Slacker Radio.. which we had to cancel... $9.99 would be the most i could ever justify for a mobile game subscription.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:
    I will give the same response as I did to the in game survey.

$20 will always be adjusted to £20. The average working wage is not much different in the UK to the US yet our cost of living is higher (imagine paying $8 for a gallon of petrol). By being patient and a careful shopper I can buy a game for the 2DS for that much which is far greater value for money.

I agree $20 is too much. $5 is really the ideal price point. That's equivalent to a Latte at Starbucks and I see lineups of people in Starbucks buying $5 Lattes daily (often multiple per day).

The point is that value for your money is in the eye of the beholder. When you think how millions of people drop $5 a day on a cup of coffee, $10 a month for a game experience that lasts a hell of a lot longer than a cup of coffee seems super cheap...

KGB

I wouldn't pay for Starbucks or any other of these chains of coffee shops either, they are a rip off. £4 for a coffee I can make at home for a fraction of the price. If this £10 per month were to give actual content then I may consider it, as it stands even after a years subscription I would not have purchased enough iso to fully level a 4*, high possibility of not drawing a 5* as RNG hates me and have more HP than I would use. Instead of a tokens randomness needs to be removed to make me even consider it.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    As someone who has paid in $50 so far, I have to agree that I'm unwilling to foot more than maybe $5-10 tops per month for a simple match 3 mobile game. As it stands, my answer is a strict "None of the above" on the poll, particularly for the proposal in game right now.

The biggest slap in the face to me from this proposed subscription model is it is still completely subject to the whims of a pseudo-random number generator to attempt progression. If there were anything offered regarding specific cover rewards, I might consider it more closely.

Offering me more MORE PRNG for monthly disposable income I don't have much of in the first place?

No thanks.
  • Smudge wrote:
    If there were anything offered regarding specific cover rewards, I might consider it more closely.

Ooooooh....how about a MPQ "Humble Bundle" featuring some modest in-game resources but with 1 cover for the 4*s released that month (c'mon, you know they aren't giving away 5*s, haha) as the centerpiece?

At a $10 price point that'd be crazy popular, I think.
    It would be tempting, but only if said cover was given immediately after the release event, so that one can use it to grind for the CP in the follow-up featured PvE.

If the cover would come a couple of weeks after the release, which is fair to those who were grinding their **** off for the placement reward, I think it has much less appeal. Doing away with placement rewards would balance this, though.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    All that aside, a %age boost would be superior all around. Players would get as much back from it as they put in, whatever the %age was. A player cranking out 30K iso a day would get 6K/day from a 20% boost, 180K/month on top of their 900K.

How sad is it, that even with that 30% boost which you suggest would cost $20-$25/mo, you still cant keep up with the rate of iso needed based on character releases? (yes, for a second ignore that you dont *need* to max ALL chars)

I think that a slightly smaller package for $5 would be best, but I can see $10 as kind of the price point the majority would take advantage of. Especially if it was closer to the options you list above (less tokens, more iso).
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    need a Crusty Vet version with just the 30% iso bump for 9.99. forget the rest of it. that'd get me enough extra iso to max an extra 4* every 2-3 months, for 20-30 bucks. and as close as I am to finishing tier 2, I could raise some guys I've been cheap on. I've scraped by at 94 for ddq day on many, but I'd love to bring them to the 145 level I started leveling to for ddq.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Smudge wrote:
    If there were anything offered regarding specific cover rewards, I might consider it more closely.

Ooooooh....how about a MPQ "Humble Bundle" featuring some modest in-game resources but with 1 cover for the 4*s released that month (c'mon, you know they aren't giving away 5*s, haha) as the centerpiece?

Shoot, I would gladly even do a "pick a single 4* cover" once per month with a little extra ISO and maybe a couple extra little bonuses thrown in similar to the battle pack suggestion. The amount of potential that would generate would be amazing... it would eliminate the PRNG scariness of having a 5/5/2 character. It doesn't even have to be for the latest and greatest characters. My Hulkbuster is still languishing with 9 covers. If I could finish him in 4 months' time guaranteed... that would be a hard bargain to pass up.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Smudge wrote:
    Smudge wrote:

Shoot, I would gladly even do a "pick a single 4* cover" once per month with a little extra ISO and maybe a couple extra little bonuses thrown in similar to the battle pack suggestion. The amount of potential that would generate would be amazing... it would eliminate the PRNG scariness of having a 5/5/2 character. It doesn't even have to be for the latest and greatest characters. My Hulkbuster is still languishing with 9 covers. If I could finish him in 4 months' time guaranteed... that would be a hard bargain to pass up.

How about being able to purchase a bundle of tokens that have at least 1 of the featured character? Crazy idea I know.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are already lump sum options for this game, any sub model should be aimed at bringing in the players that wouldn't touch the existing offerings, $5 or so a month to give smaller amounts per day that equate to a decent amount in total is what needs to be offered, something along the lines of:

daily rewards - 2k of iso, 50hp and 2cp (could give double at end of a week for example)

weekly rewards - 3* covers for weeks 1-3 and a 4* for week 4 of the sub. (track consecutive subs, 4 in a row gets a 5* instead of the 4*)

monthly reward - 25% boost to all iso games ingame. (consecutive subs boosting this to a max of 100% boost)

Basically, a paid sub should be a low cost item that acts like a Shield resupply on steroids, you would need to login everyday to get all the rewards so it would further increase the basic engagement between the game and the player.
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    KGB wrote:
    Linkster79 wrote:
    I will give the same response as I did to the in game survey.

$20 will always be adjusted to £20. The average working wage is not much different in the UK to the US yet our cost of living is higher (imagine paying $8 for a gallon of petrol). By being patient and a careful shopper I can buy a game for the 2DS for that much which is far greater value for money.

I agree $20 is too much. $5 is really the ideal price point. That's equivalent to a Latte at Starbucks and I see lineups of people in Starbucks buying $5 Lattes daily (often multiple per day).

The point is that value for your money is in the eye of the beholder. When you think how millions of people drop $5 a day on a cup of coffee, $10 a month for a game experience that lasts a hell of a lot longer than a cup of coffee seems super cheap...

KGB

And yet if it was couched as being 99¢ / day for 5,000 iso and 50HP and 1CP, players would hit it like crack monkeys, everyday, right along with DDQ. They only bar would be whether the player had the ability to pay for anything though the app icon_lol.gif

Such an offer is right in line with the option suggested here, only presented in terms of /day, not /month.

There is a lesson here for the devs.

They have essentially already tested this—or had it tested for them!—with the recent $5 sale on Android. $20 'worth' for $5? Players couldn't buy it fast enough once told about it.

Further, if the dev's $14.99 proposal were floated as 49¢/day for 500iso, 25HP, 2CP (collapsing the Heroics and LTs into iso and CP), it might be more popular. Tiny amounts of resources, but hey, fiddy cents.
    This is so true,even players that wouldnt dream of sinking money into this game felt they would have been missing out when they did the android sale.i have posted a few times on this forum they should do the same deal with iso but up to yet nothing has come of it.
    I wouldnt take any of these options proposed but here is what im willing to spend:
    $/ £10 which would get you:
    1000hp
    100,000 iso
    A cover of my choice.
    Anything less and no thanks ill pass.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moon Roach wrote:
    Completely irregardless of what is offered?

I'm up to "P" in my Big Book of Big Words, and when I passed "I" I noticed that there is now such a word as "irregardless". It's one of those strange ones that sound ridiculous but mean the same when you chop the first few letters off:

irregardless = regardless
    inflammable = flammable...

Yep, it's 'real', much to the chagrin of grammar nazis and users of the King's English (is it the Queen's right now? I digress, too) icon_razz.gif

I'd also note that "completely" is redundant there.

Just how free of regard do I think El Satanno can be?

Oh man, you could sail a barge through my freedom from regard! I'm skirting the edge of antiregard over here!

To get back to Aes' reply to me, it would have to be something truly astounding to convince me that it's worth more than $10/month aka $120 a year. I am loathe to resort to stale "I can get X full-price games for that" argument, but I think it's somewhat appropriate here because of the subscription angle. I generally abhor the concept of subscription to digital goods. However I have been rather happy with my PSN subscription despite being coerced into it due to Sony's paywalling of online play (you **** ****!). The reason being that I get a significant return on that investment in terms of entertainment time: 4 full-on games every month. That translates into hundreds, if not thousands of hours of entertainment.

Now I've already sunk tons and tons of time into MPQ so I'm not regretful in the least of the ~$160 I've paid into it over my time playing. That's stretched across two years, though, and honestly I kinda lucked out buying that Stark Salary when I did. The shift to CP for covers means I won't get even a quarter of the value out of those HP had I bought it presently. A subscription to this game at a rate more than double what my PSN costs me had better provide at least twice that much value.

What does that mean in MPQ terms? From where I'm sitting, and this is very much subjective to my roster and needs as a proto-5* player, it would need to be something like this every month:
    • 100k Iso
    • 4 Legendary tokens
    • 100 CP
    • A free roster slot (if not two)
    • 1k HP
    Yes, that's ridiculous. Yes, that's well more than any other purchase option would give you currently. Yes, that's pretty much what would convince me to cough up $20 a month. I won't pretend that it's reasonable at all, but that's exactly how I feel about what $20 a month should get me. Until they're ready to offer something like that to me I will not even consider paying more than $10 a month.

Oh, and for the record, even to get that $10 a month it would still have to be a hell of a lot better than what the survey offered.