There is no ISO shortage

grunzadin
grunzadin Posts: 52 Match Maker
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
People have posted a bunch of great ideas about how to inject more ISO into the game, but all of those suggestions rest on the assumption that D3 agrees that there is an ISO shortage. D3 has given no indication that it believes there is an ISO shortage, so for all practical purposes there is no ISO shortage.

The first step in getting more ISO into the game isn't to brainstorm new systems in the game for ISO; the first step is getting D3 to acknowledge that more ISO is needed.

Comments

• jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    grunzadin wrote:
    People have posted a bunch of great ideas about how to inject more ISO into the game, but all of those suggestions rest on the assumption that D3 agrees that there is an ISO shortage. D3 has given no indication that it believes there is an ISO shortage, so for all practical purposes there is no ISO shortage.

The first step in getting more ISO into the game isn't to brainstorm new systems in the game for ISO; the first step is getting D3 to acknowledge that more ISO is needed.

That's exactly what the threads do. So yes, posting about it (and providing ideas) is all we can do to make D3 aware and hopefully acknowledge that more ISO is needed.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Are you trolling or serious? =P
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.troll.me%2Fimages%2Fancient-aliens-guy%2Fthere-is-no-spoon.jpg&t=563&c=wlffFKN6G6Tosg
  • Thevipper
    Thevipper Posts: 90
    grunzadin wrote:

Yet you might not be aware iso 8 is going to be a double iso event (i think its where theres a node at the end that gives 1500 iso could be wrong though) i see that as acknowledgment...
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    Sometimes I wonder if someone from D3 is going to come out and say "You're not supposed to raise every character in the game to max level, that would be crazy."
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,610 Chairperson of the Boards
    HaywireII wrote:
    Sometimes I wonder if someone from D3 is going to come out and say "You're not supposed to raise every character in the game to max level, that would be crazy."

They've already said that. You're supposed to choose how to level up your characters. The game's funner with strategic decisions.

And whether people agree with it or not, the would certainly get boring if it were easy to max everyone. There'd be nothing to do but wait for the next character release. The madness!
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    149swr.jpg
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:
    HaywireII wrote:

They've already said that. You're supposed to choose how to level up your characters. The game's funner with strategic decisions.

And whether people agree with it or not, the would certainly get boring if it were easy to max everyone. There'd be nothing to do but wait for the next character release. The madness!

Yep, it's great to see that lots of people don't max 4* Jean/HB/Ice/Cyc/Rhulk and instead max MrF/Cho/Falcap/SL/Elecktra.

Oh wait....
  • Flakricket
    Flakricket Posts: 13
    I miss farming for ISO in prologue. I'd use my weaker characters to get 20 at a time while my stronger characters healed from battle.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thevipper wrote:
    grunzadin wrote:

Yet you might not be aware iso 8 is going to be a double iso event (i think its where theres a node at the end that gives 1500 iso could be wrong though) i see that as acknowledgment...

Not sure if serious...
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    HaywireII wrote:

They did say that at one point, that leveling was supposed to be a decision. And honestly, that's not a bad stance from a business perspective. Getting ahead of the curve requiring money isn't bad.

The shortage comes from the fact that we're a lot closer to "you can't level anyone in a timely manner" than we are "everyone can max all characters easily." And we drift further from the latter everyday.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    HaywireII wrote:

You aren't , that's the thing. In any MMO or game you ever play, you will never have all the biggest shiniest everything without tons and tons of work, and because new content is always being added. You could play WoW for 5 years and still need things.

Pick your chars, pick who to level, and grind exp (iso) and get gear (covers). That is the point.

Of course there is an iso shortage, that is why you keep playing, if it was all given to you immediately , and for little or no work, we would all get bored and leave.

There is no requirement to have every char in the game, nor is there one to level them all.
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    grunzadin wrote:

Probably would have better luck with that by picking thread titles that didn't parrot the devs argument. icon_e_biggrin.gif

In all seriousness thought, I think they clearly realize the shortage exists. This is the far more insidious problem in trying to convince them to change. They want it to exist. This isn't some bumblingly inept decision. This is calculated greed. They want paying $100 for an amount of ISO that won't even max a single character to be the way forward for all the people with more money than patience.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    firethorne wrote:
    grunzadin wrote:

Probably would have better luck with that by picking thread titles that didn't parrot the devs argument. icon_e_biggrin.gif

In all seriousness thought, I think they clearly realize the shortage exists. This is the far more insidious problem in trying to convince them to change. They want it to exist. This isn't some bumblingly inept decision. This is calculated greed. They want paying $100 for an amount of ISO that won't even max a single character to be the way forward for all the people with more money than patience.

This is what I don't understand. That's fine if they want people to buy ISO. But the price of ISO is so high that you'd have to be a total n00b, insane, or wealthy to actually buy any. As it is, you'd have to receive about 5x more ISO than you do before I'd even CONSIDER buying any.

But I guess they get enough purchases to justify the price or they would have changed it by now. So strange.
  • Cdubb1975
    Cdubb1975 Posts: 29 Just Dropped In
    Maybe they want an "Iso shortage" because it forces players to prioritize their rosters. If Iso flowed freely, everyone would have everything maxed, how much fun would that be?

disclaimer: I don't necessarily agree with that^^^ just trying to think outside the box.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:
    But the price of ISO is so high that you'd have to be a total n00b, insane, or wealthy to actually buy any. As it is, you'd have to receive about 5x more ISO than you do before I'd even CONSIDER buying any.

But I guess they get enough purchases to justify the price or they would have changed it by now. So strange.

I work in financial services, and let me tell you man: people are absolutely awful with money. Like, I've seen people doing stuff with their money that is actually less productive than lighting it on fire, because at least that way you could heat your house. Sometimes those people are also financial professionals.

I absolutely believe that they are getting consistent ISO purchases at the current price.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't want to "level everyone". i already have a ~7-8 million iso deficit to level the covers currently in my roster. what i take issue with is the release rate outpacing the rate at which iso can be earned. so, not only do i have an enormous iso deficit in my roster, it only gets worse with every new release in the game, roughly 5 characters every 2 months. 5 characters which, eventually will need over 2 million iso, when, even if i work my butt off, i might scrape 1.2-1.5 mil together over those 2 months if there isn't a gauntlet or CW event.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    scottee wrote:
    HaywireII wrote:

Yep, it's great to see that lots of people don't max 4* Jean/HB/Ice/Cyc/Rhulk and instead max MrF/Cho/Falcap/SL/Elecktra.

Oh wait....
    this times infinity. The only way to make these characters useful (and they do have their uses, limited though they may be), is for there to actually be enough ISO in the game to make it worth it.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    scottee wrote:
    HaywireII wrote:

There is a vast gulf between it being easy to max everyone and the current situation though, given that we typically get two new releases a month, the minimum for incoming iso from regular playing should roughly equate to the amount that it takes to take a 4* from level 70 to max so that people are not automatically falling further and further behind with things like buying iso, lightning rounds, luck in the ddq vault just serving to close the gap to the theoretical aim of normal playing maxing their roster.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:
    HaywireII wrote:

You aren't , that's the thing. In any MMO or game you ever play, you will never have all the biggest shiniest everything without tons and tons of work, and because new content is always being added. You could play WoW for 5 years and still need things.

Pick your chars, pick who to level, and grind exp (iso) and get gear (covers). That is the point.

Of course there is an iso shortage, that is why you keep playing, if it was all given to you immediately , and for little or no work, we would all get bored and leave.

There is no requirement to have every char in the game, nor is there one to level them all.
    Yes, but the leveling costs for 4* are wrong, and ISO income doesn't increase significantly as players increase the size of their roster. 4* still have the leveling costs for endgame content that they were at the time of their introduction: about three times the cost to level a 3* character. Meanwhile, ISO flows in at a rate that makes focusing on a 3* character not too painful.

The fact that a 4* costs three times a 3* to level, and a 5* only costs about 60% more than a 4* pretty clearly shows that 4* are overcosted. They come out far too frequently for this to work. I'd suggest cutting 4* ISO costs by about one-third (so twice a 3*) and leaving other costs as they are.