Daily Resupply - The Iso Shortage Solution

Wooodd
Wooodd Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
Iso, that purple nectar that we all flap around frantically trying to collect. Those sweet sweet crystals that we all seek, why is it so elusive?

There have been a myriad of suggestions regarding methods of increasing Iso flow in the game which mostly go ignored by those Red Devils (or at the very least not replied to). The issue with just doubling Iso or a similar solution from the developers standpoint is that the amount of Iso earned by newer players would be disproportionate to their requirements and that makes sense.

So I've had an idea for a possible solution to this issue, which would introduce more Iso to players as their needs increase.

Leave all Iso rewards exactly as they are currently, but introduce a new daily reward. We already receive our resupply and a small token Iso payment from being in an active alliance, but how about also giving us a daily Iso injection based on our roster?

Each character cover holds a value of Iso relative to the rarity of said character, up to a maximum of 13 covers per character. This value is then added to the daily Iso pool. I think a reasonable breakdown would be:

1 star.png = 1 iso8.png
2 star.png = 2 iso8.png
3 star.png = 5 iso8.png
4 star.png = 10 iso8.png
5 star.png = 20 iso8.png

Based on these values, my roster as detailed in my Sig would garner me 4,992 Iso per day. I don’t think that would be too much as it’s not even close to doubling what we can already earn per day, and at the same time it is regulated by need. The more covers you have at higher rarity the more Iso your awarded per day.

If the powers that be don’t want to just give this much Iso just for showing up, they could introduce a ‘daily challenge’ type deal such as win 15 or 20 matches to receive your daily Iso bundle with a running tally of wins in the daily resupply page.

What do you all think; could this be a viable option to alleviate the Iso crisis? Have I gone too high with the value awarded per cover, or too low? Could this be implemented or will it cause issues I haven’t foreseen? Will a Dev see this? Will they care?

Note to Mods: I realise that this is a suggestion and as such should be in the suggestions graveyard (erm.. I mean sub-forum) but if it could be left in general for a while to try and attain some responses it would be appreciated.
Mod Edit: Will move to suggestions and leave a shadow thread on 5/17

Comments

• Triharda
    Triharda Posts: 17
    I really like this.

As an incentive, it also encourages the players to collect all the characters for extra daily iso which means more roster slots needed which should appeal to the bean counters who say HP on roster slots is a big source of money injection.

Maybe it would need a limit in terms of ignoring duplicate characters within the same roster (for example the people who have rostered 2x oml and thus would only pay out for 1 of them) but otherwise yes, really good idea in my opinion
  • Wooodd
    Triharda wrote:
    As an incentive, it also encourages the players to collect all the characters for extra daily iso which means more roster slots needed which should appeal to the bean counters who say HP on roster slots is a big source of money injection.
    Maybe it would need a limit in terms of ignoring duplicate characters within the same roster (for example the people who have rostered 2x oml and thus would only pay out for 1 of them) but otherwise yes, really good idea in my opinion
    I never thought of this additional benefit for the devs, anything that increases sales for slots has to be a plus right icon_e_biggrin.gif , cannot see any lost revenue from Iso sales resulting from this (because who buys Iso).
    Triharda wrote:
    I thought about dupes but I'm torn. On the one hand yes people could roster a load of dupes to have a massive increase in their Iso flow, but at the same time if they're spending HP buying enough slots to make it worthwhile then there most likely spending on the game and as such should deserve an increased flow (in my opinion).
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2016
    I've long been an advocate of this - changing rewards in daily reward system seems the best way to give resources (or draw chances!) to the vets who have stuck with the game. It means whales that get there in their first six months of play won't stop whaling.

But to that I always get replies "Yeah...but there are casuals that have been playing the game for two years, basically only hitting DDQ each day, and don't 'deserve' that just for longevity".

The more serious issue is I think D3 is going to refuse to change the daily drop. They added CP's in there, but they still have 3*'s in the 450 range!!!

OP suggestion is a good one. I've suggested ISO on daily drop: count of total levels on a roster, divide by ten, give each player that much ISO daily. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42428 Has the same "dupe" problem, but low level characters wouldn't add that much to it.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Another way would be add the daily 4* DDQ and make it 10,000 ISO when you get enough points from beating all the DDQ nodes.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=42175 this poll most players say they are 3mil+ behind, no one is catching up. Can anyone here honestly say they wouldn't be able to use 10K ISO daily in perpetuity? You would -still- be behind in ISO forever!
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    I don't disagree with the idea; it might be tougher to implement than it sounds on the surface, but beyond that, it is fairly solid. Anything to increase ISO flow at this point would be welcome, and I "only" need 2-3 million right now to meet my soft-cap needs (to max my roster level-wise without any additional covers) versus some of the people here that are orders of magnitude higher in relation to needs.
    Wooodd wrote:
    The issue with just doubling Iso or a similar solution from the developers standpoint is that the amount of Iso earned by newer players would be disproportionate to their requirements and that makes sense.

However, does the argument that the amount of ISO in a double ISO environment far exceeding newer players' needs really make sense as a reason not to double ISO overall? Most other mobile games with "micro-transactions" flood the primary resource to the point that you will always end up with a massive surplus that you could never hope to need everything of for a long time.

There was a time in the 2-3* transition that I actually had about 60-70k ISO that had no purpose. I didn't actually need ISO for any of my characters. That lasted, let's see... maybe a week, tops.

The bigger question, to me at least, is how many regular players actually choose to spend money on ISO purchases? This is disregarding the average forum user since we are all aware of how much of a ripoff it is in terms of actual progress per dollar, and it also discounts the mega whales with tons of disposable income.

Does Average Joe spend money on ISO in-game?

If not, then you can make two general assumptions:
    1. The ISO gained from a purchase is not nearly enough to make an in-game impact.
    2. Average players see enough ISO flow to meet their needs; OR average players suffer from a severe ISO drought and do not see purchasing as a viable stream for ISO flow.

Without knowing how many people are spending how much money on ISO though, it's hard to really know the average ISO situation in the game. It seems reasonable to assume most people who have passed up the 2* tier and actually begun accumulating a large enough number of 3* covers are ISO starved, and even multiplying ISO in-game by 1.5x seems reasonable to me to solve it.

TL;DR: Need more data on spending to know how ISO flow is for everyone in the game, but WE NEED MOAR ISO!
  • Arphaxad
    Arphaxad Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    If a Dev reads this, the ISO issue needs to be addressed, one way or another. Either tell us the system is working as intended or tell us a solution is in the works.

I think the OP provides an interesting idea that could help and support the idea. There have been others. The players base is not be unreasonable, we just want to see the game get better. ISO shortage is one of the biggest problems facing players who are trying to progress in the game.
  • Wooodd
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    I've long been an advocate of this - changing rewards in daily reward system seems the best way to give resources (or draw chances!) to the vets who have stuck with the game. It means whales that get there in their first six months of play won't stop whaling.

But to that I always get replies "Yeah...but there are casuals that have been playing the game for two years, basically only hitting DDQ each day, and don't 'deserve' that just for longevity".
    This is a reason why I thought that cover based increments is a better solution to time played, it rewards commitment apposed to attendance.
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    The more serious issue is I think D3 is going to refuse to chance the daily drop. They added CP's in there, but they still have 3*'s in the 450 range!!!

This could be an additional daily reward gifted after 'x' wins throughout the day and as such the daily resupply would remain unaffected.
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    OP suggestion is a good one. I've suggested ISO on daily drop, but also another format (that I can't find right now): count of total levels on a roster, divide by ten, give each player that much ISO daily. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=42428 Has the same "dupe" problem, but low level characters wouldn't add that much to it.

I quite like the levels equals Iso suggestion you made, the idea of feeding Iso in to get Iso back (like a cash-back offer). Perhaps an amalgamation of the two could be a good construct.

Take the value of Iso from the cover structure I listed above, and then multiply it by the total number of levels on your roster / 10000 (minimum of 1).

My daily intake this way would be:

4,992 (from covers) x 1.0655 (10655 lvls) = 5,319 Iso
  • Wooodd
    Smudge wrote:
    However, does the argument that the amount of ISO in a double ISO environment far exceeding newer players' needs really make sense as a reason not to double ISO overall? Most other mobile games with "micro-transactions" flood the primary resource to the point that you will always end up with a massive surplus that you could never hope to need everything of for a long time.
    I seem to recall reading a thread somewhere where it was said that the devs had already expressed this concern, I'm too lazy to go searching for it. I primarily wanted to 'cover all bases' so that they have no excuse to not implement something.

Your right about purchases. Although we on the forums with more developed rosters than 'John Smith' or 'Joe Bloggs' can see the abhorrent lack of value in Iso purchases, a 2* player just starting to level 3*s and seeing the levels at 200-300 Iso per early on may think that buying Iso is a sound investment not realising the cost hike in higher levels.
  • Chipster22
    Chipster22 Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    The suggested numbers in the OP seem reasonable to me.

Since the R75 ISO adjustment I have averaged about a 4,150 daily ISO deficit.
  • Tryke
    Tryke Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    This is a helpful suggestion. That is why it won't happen. icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif

Their idea of addressing the iso shortage is a one time infusion of a double iso event. Useful to have, but ultimately a bandaid fix to an ongoing issue.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wooodd wrote:
    I thought about dupes but I'm torn. On the one hand yes people could roster a load of dupes to have a massive increase in their Iso flow, but at the same time if they're spending HP buying enough slots to make it worthwhile then there most likely spending on the game and as such should deserve an increased flow (in my opinion).

Giving it out for unique characters only seems like the better approach with something like this.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    It would be nice if there were ISO rewards for some or more of the following:

* Number of days you've played
    * Number of unique characters you have
    * Number of 5*s, 4*s etc that you have
    * Number of levels you've added to your characters

Also it would be nice to have larger alliance login rewards. Getting a bonus 200 iso for being in an alliance is nice, but it doesn't add much to the 350,000+ ISO needed to champ a 4*.
  • Wooodd
    Crowl wrote:
    Wooodd wrote:

Giving it out for unique characters only seems like the better approach with something like this.

You're probably right, as I said I'm torn on the matter. At least that way the devs could feel better about the fact that there would be a cap on the maximum daily Iso they have to pay out.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Great idea! Although I would factor in level as well. Makes rostering dupes a much less efficient way of gaming the system.
  • jgomes32
    jgomes32 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Great idea. I would also add double Iso per champion + 1 Iso for each level.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:
    Great idea! Although I would factor in level as well. Makes rostering dupes a much less efficient way of gaming the system.
    man I don't know many who would roster a 1-cover 4*, worth 1000 iso to sell, costing 1000hp to do so, to make 10 iso a day....that doesn't sound like a good investment at all. could it be done? sure, but how much benefit for the cost? non-issue to me.

I love this idea. any vehicle to more iso focused on late 3* transitioners and beyond would be exactly what we need.
    jgomes32 wrote:
    or at least double iso for covers of sold maxed champs.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor
    jgomes32 wrote:

Double ISO for champion seems good, and some consideration for champion levels, but you may need to introduce a scaling factor. Otherwise a champed 2* is going to be worth 54 ISO / day, which is disproportionately valuable.

Maybe one extra ISO for every 25 champ levels on a 2*, one for every 5 champ levels on a 3*, one for every 2 champ levels on a 4*, and one for every champ level on a 5*? That would make max champing worth about double a champed character for a 3*, slightly less valuable for a 2*, and more for a 4* and 5*.
  • Felonius
    Felonius Posts: 289 Mover and Shaker
    As a player trying to level-up 4* now, it would be nice to have another source of ISO. I think this is a great idea.
  • san
    san Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    I think that you have a good point here, OP.

Just to throw another idea out there:

I would settle for a daily infinite survival mode, suggested before, with increasing difficulty waves. People would get to where they COULD get to, with rewards reflective of same. You could do easy/med/hard (pick one only).

In example:

Easy Survival

Start at wave 1, move up by 1 level each wave. 10 ISO per wave. That would be 100 waves, 1000 ISO (or more). Slow to discourage farming, fast enough for starting players.

Medium Survival

Start at wave 1, move up by 2 levels per wave. 25 ISO per wave (100 waves = 2500 ISO). At 100 waves, the enemy would be level 300 (reasonable, no?).

Hard Survival

Start at wave 1, move up by 5 levels per wave. 100 ISO per wave. (100 waves = 10,000 ISO). At wave 100, enemies are level 500.

Feel free to modify numbers, etc., but that would be the basic idea. I also had the idea of incremental ISO increases, but no time to crunch those numbers - anyone else?
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,328 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the idea. I had previously suggested that they should give you 2x(DaysPlayed) Iso, but I like how your idea rewards more the more enfranchised players (including big spenders that haven't been playing that long).