What is wrong with Hearts of Darkness?

Comments

• Gari
    Gari Posts: 92 Match Maker
    What is wrong with hearts? Nothing. You get free event tokens. And you want it to be easy too?
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I normally don't like winfinite but hood at level 280-320? lets go Charles and gals. It sucks with a Kishu though.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Every single person answering they find this event relatively simple has posted a 3star team they use coupled with A (sometimes underleveled) Iceman.

Let me tell you. This event is quite different when you are forced to run OML/PHX on every node because the opponents are all 325.
    Sniper rifles going off every turn for 10k in the Hood+snipers node, Maggia Thug machine gunning the entire team for 10k+, Caltrops that deal 2k per, Smoke attack tiles that combine for 5k per turn..

It's doable, but an absolute pain.

Edit to answer OJSPs question:

Iceman is the obv third, but I don't use IM since he dies to pretty much anything. Phoenix is better to tank Green for Iceman and has 35k+22k health to do so on 4 round waves.

I'm using IM, Blade & Torch to breeze through this, but your suggesting this only works in 3* land.

I'm not in 3* land - I have 8 or so champed 4*'s with a lot awaiting iso so I am also facing Lv 320+ on most nodes as well.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh yeah, this is real easy icon_rolleyes.gif

http://imgur.com/HEN9Ke2
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    This is actually my favourite event. I find it challenging but not annoying and it's short so great rewards for the effort.
  • evade420
    evade420 Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    Honestly , I really like the hearts of darkness pve.
    The story is actually pretty good I like the visual style, and I'm sorry but I found it relativley easy. Only node I had problems with was teen Jean, 4clops, and prof x at level 225. And even then I only lost once out of the 7-8 times that I played it.
    And this last one had a great selection of boosted characters, plus it's only three days, bonus
  • Khaoz77
    Khaoz77 Posts: 16
    Well... I have to say this event is probably my favourite. Yeah, the last sub is hard but is just ONE, and the last. It should be hard.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    If goon only nodes are hard, then stop using 4/5* pvp teams, get over the anti 3* victim routine, and spend more than two seconds thinking about team composition. It doesn't matter how much damage a CD does if you're playing smart enough to keep any from going off.
  • Avalanche Kincaid
    Avalanche Kincaid Posts: 83 Match Maker
    It has been really easy with boosted Iceman/IM40. I did'nt even use a health pack for sub 2 grind. If sub has Kishu, team with quake. Wave nodes, bring hood (non-goons) or XFDP (goons). Essentials you can use boosted rhulk/SW if you want to mix things up. If team has hood, boost 2 blue and get him stunned fast if there are no yellow. Much easier then venom bomb IMO
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've been running Prof X/Falcon/Human Torch.

Human Torch's green for just 5AP gets Prof to spawn the attack defence and strike tiles that he and Falcon can then get to work upgrading. And if you can feed it green it just gets nastier. 3kish damage per turn really starts to sting.

A match 5 against goons will generate red, which is Torch's strongest colour. 8 red will net you over 4k worth of damage, and make the next one effectively only cost 6. (And spawn more of Prof's specials)

Against high level Hood I might have to use Iceman in place of Torch, but beyond that it'll mow through any amount of rounds of goons with minimal damage once it gets rolling. Once you are up to +800 damage per match and 1300ish damage from specials at the end of your turn most mobs don't live long enough for their countdowns to expire.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    halirin wrote:
    If goon only nodes are hard, then stop using 4/5* pvp teams, get over the anti 3* victim routine, and spend more than two seconds thinking about team composition. It doesn't matter how much damage a CD does if you're playing smart enough to keep any from going off.

3*'s are not viable at a certain point with scaling, like it or not they don't do enough damage or have the health to survive when something like a Kishu does 1300 dmg by laying invisible traps everywhere. Konran's red does 8000 dmg. Need I go on?

And this event combines Hood + goons, or 3 different types of goons. Good luck doing anything when Hood has 9000 health.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches wrote:
    Let me tell you. This event is quite different when you are forced to run OML/PHX on every node because the opponents are all 325

Huh? My highest have been 325, and I've been using Iceman/RHulk/Switch through all non-essentials with little issue. I've only subbed in my OML when someone needed a break, and that's more for speed than anything else, could easily swap in a bunch of other 4*.
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    Caltrops may be the single worst ability in the game. It punishes smart board play and penalizes players for longer matches. Ironic, considering the devs have intentionally manipulated health totals to make matches longer.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I guess I'm in the minority, but I absolutely cruised through this event using HT, IM40 and OBW (all champed). So many goon nodes and gauntlets, just used OBW to delay their CDs and steal any AP they might pick up.

On that day 3 final gauntlet, I tried swapping in IF for OBW to speed things up a bit, but by wave 3 they'd stocked up so much AP they pummeled my team when they arrived. Going back to OBW and stealing most of their AP made it pretty easy.

I am also in the I Hate Caltrops camp.
  • Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    I haven't had much trouble with a combo of Iceman/Cyclops/ Switch, but the progression points needed for the 25 CP are crazy. Doing 3 clears a round has left me almost 20K short with only one clear left....
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel this is a solid event. The survival nodes don't go on for too long and have enough goons that there is not much match damage, you have strike tile users to take down Hood quickly, and no nodes with 2* bullseye, Juggs, goon feader. I got my 25 CP and lots of ISO plus my 2CP per day from each sub and I did not used more health packs in PVP then PVE. That is a win in my book.
  • Druss
    Druss Posts: 368 Mover and Shaker
    Even the last wave node is spammable using good ol fashioned Angels.

I had little time to play the last sub so did the wave node 7 times back to back without needing to use a single healthpack (GSBW did die in the 7th clear - made battle longer but basically hid prox x & chipped away).

I pretty much did the whole event using only Iceman & Prof X from 4* land (i haven't levelled any 5*), imo one of the easier PvE's (no Lv 350 Daken/bullseye/jugs)
  • DalekGAF
    DalekGAF Posts: 52 Match Maker
    The Iceman node is a big pain in the ****. Jean, Cyclops and Professor X? Really nice of you, Devs. I hope you have a bad day too.
  • Sluggo
    Sluggo Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    I had 3 complete wipes on that Prof X/Jean/Cyc node, more than the rest of the event combined.

I had one starting board that had two different match-5s available, a silver and black, to which I just facepalmed. I feel like that only happens when I face Jean and Prof X. I found a way to collapse the board so neither match-5 remained for the AI, and it somehow cascaded to set up a completely different match-5 purple on the AI's first move. My team was decimated within 3 turns.

It was really an all-or-nothing node for me. I was using IM40/HT/Iceman, and I either got Prof X out of there quickly with a Fireball, or it went downhill quickly.
  • Evilgenius_9
    Evilgenius_9 Posts: 132 Tile Toppler
    I never got higher than lvl 230's - currently my scaling for this event is a 263 Mr. F and 2 255 5*'s. I used either blade / IM40 / 3*Cap or Patch / Loki / Beast for almost every node (or some combination of these depending on featured character). The only event that has been difficult is the teen jean / prof x / 4* cyc node - and mostly because no matter who I pair him with, my single cover iceman weighs me down.

Overall I agree with those who put this near their favorites as opposed to difficult bottom.