Match making back to its old self?

2»

Comments

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,275 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's been 3 events so far this season, the matchmaking is acting really really weird. Seeing OML teams right after the seeds, **** is going on?

Also, climbing to 1000 certainly feels like the old matchmaking... My roster hasnt changed at all from the previous season.

Devs, have you tampered with the PVP matchmaking in any way shape or form? Certainly doesnt feel the same at all.
  • laughingMAN
    laughingMAN Posts: 65 Match Maker
    I've also noticed something weird going on this season. In addition to the MMR woes / opponent queuing problems others have mentioned, has anyone else noticed some general server slowness? Like I will often see points deducted but not see the actual hit (or rather, hits) until like 10 minutes later! This has never been an issue before and it's making PVP really miserable.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've also noticed something weird going on this season. In addition to the MMR woes / opponent queuing problems others have mentioned, has anyone else noticed some general server slowness? Like I will often see points deducted but not see the actual hit (or rather, hits) until like 10 minutes later! This has never been an issue before and it's making PVP really miserable.
    I have experienced this ever since the new PvP matchmaking Went live. I realized there is an upside though - with the retaliation notices delayed it takes longer for your queued nodes to be overwritten.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster wrote:
    I have experienced this ever since the new PvP matchmaking Went live. I realized there is an upside though - with the retaliation notices delayed it takes longer for your queued nodes to be overwritten.

There's a plus and minus to this at the same time, though. TxMoose noted in other threads that he's actually been forced to face the retaliation team instead of the queued node. He hit Fight! against the queued team, but the team that appeared was the retaliation group. That has unlimited potential to be problematic - my roster certainly can't handle most of the boosted 4* and mid-range 5* teams that hit me occasionally.
  • laughingMAN
    laughingMAN Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Quebbster wrote:

The weird thing about this is that if the game is going to bother pinging the server to update your current score, you figure it would just grab your retaliation information at the same time. But apparently nope.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    jobob wrote:
    MMR seems to be different this PVP than recent ones. I know a lot of people picked up more 5* talent in CW, so I expected more targets. Not so. I am way more frequently in Q jail with just a few players.

Last night, I tried skipping targets just to see... I used 500 ISO- 50 skips- and cycled through the same THREE targets.

THREE TARGETS.

You shovel always have a pool of more than THREE people to hit. Regardless of how bad or good your roster is, I think everyone can agree that's too low.

Minor quibble: that's five, not three (unless the node you were checking never changed). But I agree that that's too few. And I've been stuck there, too. With all five of them being friends. Yuck.
  • Smudge
    Just dropping back by to make a further note about the float point. I joined slice 4 of KRAKADOOM! last night and climbed to 306 points. No shielding, because lol really?

Wake up and log in - sure enough, -65 points, now sitting at 241.

And I second the skip jail point. Doesn't matter if there are people over 4000 points in my bracket. I can be at 800 and see the same 5 people. Still no improvement there.
  • Electrovirus
    Electrovirus Posts: 64 Match Maker
    RWTDBurn wrote:
    Are you suggesting that the 5* players should be able to target those poor 2 or 3* players? Your post seem like you want to be able to use your 5* toys but not face any 5* toys. If I've read it wrong then my apologies but if not then thats a very silly approach to the game.

Ultimately the only thing you will see as 5* player is other 5*s now the lack of variety just comes with the fact that most don't have 5*s other than oml well covered at the minute because it's still a fairly new tier.

When I climbed each tier from 1* through 4* there was always a good mix of players above me 1 tier and below me 1 tier to both hit and be hit by. At 5*s though that's now gone.

That is gone for 3/4 star players now too. Not many easy pickings anymore.
  • cardoor
    cardoor Posts: 185 Tile Toppler
    Rags and Thor events both limited the pool of opponents around 700 points (maybe the same 10 or so people). I also got hit by the same guy (with a better team I was skipping) 4 times in an hour tonight in Rags. Oddly, I seem to break free and get new opponents at 900 points or so.
  • Feherlo
    Feherlo Posts: 4
    Yeh again, I have to compete with 4* and 5*s with my 3* roster...
    And its not around 1300+ but around 700...
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Originally I said it was S1...now I'm (still) seeing what everyone else seems to be, 5*'s immediately after seeds and primarily that through the entire event. I'm chalking it up to what I mentioned in the PVP frustration thread:

What is broken is the 5*'s are still being allowed in PVP where 3*'s are the normal. They can run what are essentially "seed" teams all the way through the tourney and float high, even the max/buffed 4*'s mean nothing to them.

This means that everyone is starting later and later - if you are a 3* team, why let the 5* run over you for 2.5 days? Each season more of the push is coming later and later in the events, the PVP's are quickly turning into Lightning Rounds (again).

...it does seem that each of the last three seasons the 5*'s go out early "because they can", and everyone else is pushing later and later because they have to.
  • Feherlo
    Feherlo Posts: 4
    I think tho only solution is to separate the PVP events:
      3* PVP - Ban 5*s and do not provide buff for the 4*s 4* PVP - keep the recent system
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    I got excited because I do well when Red Hulk is boosted, so I joined early. All that got me was hammered by people with champion rhulk and 400+ 5*s. Back to joining with half a day left.
  • SnowcaTT
    Of course, with this event not only do you have "let's start late to avoid so many losses", you have "wait...I never bothered to champion this terrible character" [Rags] and "wait...why would I bother to push to 1K for this terrible character that I'll never champion?" [FalCap]

Without the low end pushing, there is nothing for the high end to feed off of. Yet another reason to give a full set of ten seeds to everyone no-matter when they join: it fills your the brackets with points early.

See also: Upcoming Cage PVP for SL rewards!
  • Melevorn
    Melevorn Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    Why should I work towards making then game more boring for myself? I've held off levelling my oml Because of that problem and am not entirely sure I will ever max him.
    I'm in the same boat - my OML could be levelled up to 345 (and my Phoenix to 390), but because of the randomness of 5* covers and the dismal posts I keep seeing about being stuck in 5*-only queue hell, I'm happy to leave them at 255 and work on my 4* roster. More variety, and when champed they can take out equivalent 5* without too much trouble, reliably winning against OML up to ~375.
  • SnowcaTT
    Melevorn wrote:
    Why should I work towards making then game more boring for myself? I've held off levelling my oml Because of that problem and am not entirely sure I will ever max him.
    I'm in the same boat - my OML could be levelled up to 345 (and my Phoenix to 390), but because of the randomness of 5* covers and the dismal posts I keep seeing about being stuck in 5*-only queue hell, I'm happy to leave them at 255 and work on my 4* roster. More variety, and when champed they can take out equivalent 5* without too much trouble, reliably winning against OML up to ~375.

I want to know how you guys aren't in 5*-only queue hell right now! I had my Phoenix at 300 as highest character (maybe that was the problem? Never use her...) At least every other match I found a 360+, which has been the case for a couple seasons. With Champed Rhulk + huge Rags I was getting hit almost exclusively by 390+'s - they can obviously see me! My Phoenix can go past 400 and I just can't see any reason -not- to level it at least that far anymore - it won't hold off the 5*'s, but it will maybe hold off a few of the 4*'s now that so many people have a bunch of the best ones.

My fear is more OLG's - not sure with RNG that max level will ever come. Also game will get INCREDIBLY boring, since I have only six covers of any other character - likely will be playing this one character for the rest of my gaming time here.
  • Melevorn
    Melevorn Posts: 137 Tile Toppler
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    I want to know how you guys aren't in 5*-only queue hell right now! I had my Phoenix at 300 as highest character (maybe that was the problem? Never use her...)
    All of my 5* characters are at 255. My highest character is an HB at around 287. So I certainly see OML's up to about 405 when skipping, but I also see non-boosted 4* teams (e.g. Jeanbusters and Jean-Cyke in the Krakadoom PvP). Even some 3* teams, although much more rarely and early on. Mostly I see champed 4*'s with one 300-400 OML, but that's fine, because my team is usually up for reliably defeating that level of opponent.

I was saying that my covers would allow me to raise up their levels (e.g. Phoenix to 390), but I choose not to so as to prevent myself from joining 5*-only queue hell! icon_neutral.gif
    Plus it also avoids scaled-out-the-wazoo PvE hell. A L390 Phoenix would neutralise the utility of most of my 4* roster for PvE, and I would hate that.

It's a poor game design when I have to soft-cap (or, rather, not level at all) my "best" characters to prevent the game from becoming seriously un-fun.
  • Smudge
    The Ragnarok PvP highlighted this for me more than anything lately since my Rags is fully covered but still level 40 on my roster, so he only boosts to 145 in his feature PvP.

When I am forced to use my 145 Rags or the 145 loaner, why am I facing teams that consist of level 300 Rulk, level 300 Rags, and level 240 Blade? The best I could have done is level 270 4Thor, level 250ish Blade, and level 145 Rags. Average level of my best team is 222 versus 280. Something about that feels wrong.

I did see some level 300 Rags plus 179 LCap and 176 IM40, but I still don't understand why I am queuing and being hit by teams that are obviously averaging much higher than me.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    jobob wrote:
    MMR seems to be different this PVP than recent ones. I know a lot of people picked up more 5* talent in CW, so I expected more targets. Not so. I am way more frequently in Q jail with just a few players.

Last night, I tried skipping targets just to see... I used 500 ISO- 50 skips- and cycled through the same THREE targets.

THREE TARGETS.

You shovel always have a pool of more than THREE people to hit. Regardless of how bad or good your roster is, I think everyone can agree that's too low.

Minor quibble: that's five, not three (unless the node you were checking never changed). But I agree that that's too few. And I've been stuck there, too. With all five of them being friends. Yuck.
    It was three because the other 2 nodes were shielded alliance members. I was trying to find a 3rd target for a hop. I don't know what would've happened if I had cleared those other nodes, but since I know they were shielded, they shouldn't have been part of the "skip" rotation anyway.

I will say that the WS PVP felt completely different & easier to Q, and the Rags then seemed In between the two. It's been an odd season so far MMR wise.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    jobob wrote:
    jobob wrote:

THREE TARGETS.

It was three because the other 2 nodes were shielded alliance members. I was trying to find a 3rd target for a hop. I don't know what would've happened if I had cleared those other nodes, but since I know they were shielded, they shouldn't have been part of the "skip" rotation anyway.

I will say that the WS PVP felt completely different & easier to Q, and the Rags then seemed In between the two. It's been an odd season so far MMR wise.
    I appreciate amusingfoo's point, but I agree with jobob. if your other 2 nodes were queued previously, they aren't in your current target grouping anyway since they're probably shielded. unless you're actively queuing all 3 at the same time (who does that?), the entire target group should be going through your cycling node.