Civil War praise

Stony
Stony Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
edited May 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Credit given when credit is due. I have absolutely loved this event. This is what your players want!

1.)Non competitive, completely progression based rewards, alliance centered PVE!

2.)A very attainable 5* that's earned through commitment and not luck! My alliance is almost done with round 8 with 38 hours to go, and there are 56 other alliances ahead of us!

3.)The first 6 rounds were accessible for anyone, regardless of roster. With quality rewards, n00bs can still develop their rosters. The last two rounds are challenging, but not rage inducing **** like Galactus. Ensuring that those who EARN the 5 star deserve it.

4.)The fact that we can play the other side for more rewards once we finish round 8, instead of waiting around for the event to end.

Well done devs, well done. Hopefully this can become a more frequent event. Like whenever you release a new 5*.

Comments

• Ungoliant
    Ungoliant Posts: 29
    Well said. If the other events were run more like this, I'm guessing you'd have a much more positive reaction overall.

This event was fun, didn't feel completely impossible or a chore, and it was fun working with my alliance on it. Thanks, D3! This event was a blast.
  • Thevipper
    Thevipper Posts: 90
    I know they did do a good job but i just barely scrapped up enough for my 3* blue switch cover which puts her at 2/3/1 and our alliance is in r6 and halfway through which would put us where were suppose to be with alot of us at 2/3 transitioners and a couple 3/4 transitioners no one a 4/5 transitioner but some has 5* honestly were lucky if we can get that push to finish r6 for the token
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree, this has been the most fun I've ever had playing MPQ. This event was nearly perfect. If I had one small complaint it would be that the event was a little short on ISO, but otherwise an A+ effort by the devs.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    revskip wrote:
    I agree, this has been the most fun I've ever had playing MPQ. This event was nearly perfect. If I had one small complaint it would be that the event was a little short on ISO, but otherwise an A+ effort by the devs.

Replace the tinykitty critical boost with 1000 ISO and the event would have been 10x better.

Replace it with an event token and it would have been 100x better.

But it was pretty good except for that.
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    Stony wrote:
    3.)The first 6 rounds were accessible for anyone, regardless of roster. With quality rewards, n00bs can still develop their rosters. The last two rounds are challenging, but not rage inducing tinykitty like Galactus. Ensuring that those who EARN the 5 star deserve it.

Though I generally agree with the points you made, I'm going to disagree with you on that one.

The scaling on the sub-nodes will still ensure that anyone without a full complement of maxed out three stars is going to be out of the running by round 4, just before the interesting (non-token, i.e., chance-based) round rewards. This is especially true for those with a lopsided roster, e.g., with only one or two high-level 4-stars.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    _RiO_ wrote:
    Stony wrote:
    3.)The first 6 rounds were accessible for anyone, regardless of roster. With quality rewards, n00bs can still develop their rosters. The last two rounds are challenging, but not rage inducing tinykitty like Galactus. Ensuring that those who EARN the 5 star deserve it.

Though I generally agree with the points you made, I'm going to disagree with you on that one.

The scaling on the sub-nodes will still ensure that anyone without a full complement of maxed out three stars is going to be out of the running by round 4, just before the interesting (non-token, i.e., chance-based) round rewards. This is especially true for those with a lopsided roster, e.g., with only one or two high-level 4-stars.

Yes and no. If a 20 person alliance composed of people entirely in the 2-3* transition all started the event right at the kick-off and pushed all clears every 8 hours, the sub-nodes would not have been nearly as problematic. Scaling on the sub-nodes only skyrocketed at the 24 hour mark. Many alliances managed to make it to round 6 by that point if I am not mistaken, so this is only true if the alliance did not have the full 20 members or if several of them played it casually.
  • thanos8587
    thanos8587 Posts: 653
    actually it was a well done event, lots of good alliance progression awards. in the end a "free" five star and a couple of leg token pulls along with several fours star covers. really cant complain there.

the only issue is this stupid scaling system that goes from 1 to 10 in a instant and then keeps going beyond ten for two more days. and the only thing they come out and say is that it was intended to happen that way. please, either admit you forgot to turn on an incremental scaling system from the start or explain why essential nodes need to soar this high when its the boss that should be the challenge of the event, not fighting through two waves of 300+ enemies just to reach the boss.

so many things done right and the only thing ill remember is the bad taste in my mouth from the last 36 hours of the event.
  • Stony
    Stony Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    thanos8587 wrote:
    actually it was a well done event, lots of good alliance progression awards. in the end a "free" five star and a couple of leg token pulls along with several fours star covers. really cant complain there.

the only issue is this stupid scaling system that goes from 1 to 10 in a instant and then keeps going beyond ten for two more days. and the only thing they come out and say is that it was intended to happen that way. please, either admit you forgot to turn on an incremental scaling system from the start or explain why essential nodes need to soar this high when its the boss that should be the challenge of the event, not fighting through two waves of 300+ enemies just to reach the boss.

so many things done right and the only thing ill remember is the bad taste in my mouth from the last 36 hours of the event.
    Yeah I agree. I didn't realize the issues when I made this post because we were in round 8 and I presumed that scaling was working as intended. Then once we finished round 8 we moved to fight IM and I realized the ridiculous scaling on round 3. Poor form devs.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    thanos8587 wrote:
    and the only thing they come out and say is that it was intended to happen that way. please, either admit you forgot to turn on an incremental scaling system from the start or explain why essential nodes need to soar this high when its the boss that should be the challenge of the event, not fighting through two waves of 300+ enemies just to reach the boss.

It definitely wasn't intended to go up to that level of difficulty.
    The majority of people talking about the scaling increase seem to be people on round 7, so it felt expected. Our alliance was on round 5 when it shot up. I played a bit on my lunch break on Friday and the mobs were about level 40. When I got home to play again, same round just 3 hours later, they were all 240. That's not a gradual increase in line with progression, that's a "whoops, we forgot to turn the scaling on. Better fix it!"

Which is beyond dumb. The number of times things are against us and we're told "It's too far in to change things now." but when things are in our favour, they're 'fixed' and told it's working as intended.

Not since Galactus have I been so angry at playing this game. They killed this event for me. I was SO ready to make my own "This event is awesome!" post because I was genuinely having fun. The new scaling is just utter nonsense and I cannot fathom it. How is it balanced to make me fight 6 level 300+ characters in two waves in order to have a crack at fighting a level 200 Captain America by himself?
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Loved the event. Great cooperative, non-competitive design. Good difficulty level. Better rewards for better Rosters. It's the Event we've been asking for.

Our Alliance had to communicate and make a decisions, which is far more fun than just encouraging each other to play more. Rewards were finally geared towards rewarding 4* characters, which is long over due. I found the Vaults very tempting.

The problem with scaling didn't bother me in the slightest. Fighting Lvl 20 enemies is Round 4 was obviously wrong, and frankly, boring. I'm glad they fixed it. By round 8, I'll admit I took many losses and battles were a slog for my mostly 3* based teams. However the reward for the effort was a 5* cover, so it felt like an huge, but achievable accomplishment for our 3-4* Alliance.

I think this was the best planned Event to date! Great job, Devs!
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Stony wrote:
    thanos8587 wrote:
    Yeah I agree. I didn't realize the issues when I made this post because we were in round 8 and I presumed that scaling was working as intended. Then once we finished round 8 we moved to fight IM and I realized the ridiculous scaling on round 3. Poor form devs.
    If the side missions didn't scale on both sides, then you could just fight Round 1 side missions on Cap's side to unlock Round 8 IM boss fights. I don't think anyone saw 300 Lvl side mission upon reaching Round 3 for the first time.

You were actually on Round 9+. I don't think it's fair to complain about scaling difficulty after having earned a 5* cover.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    The problem with scaling didn't bother me in the slightest. Fighting Lvl 20 enemies is Round 4 was obviously wrong, and frankly, boring. I'm glad they fixed it.

I disagree. The point of the event is the boss is where all the challenge is, and that's certainly true fighting Iron Man. The nodes on the side are meant to be a pest you swat away.

Okay, maybe having them at level 40 by round 5 is a little low, but having them at 240 is waaaay too high. It makes beating the node a massive grind. I've said it before, but it bares repeating. Why do I need to beat level 300+ characters to have a shot at a level 200 boss?
  • _RiO_
    _RiO_ Posts: 1,047 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't think anyone saw 300 Lvl side mission upon reaching Round 3 for the first time.

As I can testify; lvl 250 side-missions sure did show up at round 3.
    I can state with certainty that this would royally screw over this event for any casual alliance that was just aiming at the low-hanging first 4* cover reward.

Smudge wrote:
    Yes and no. If a 20 person alliance composed of people entirely in the 2-3* transition all started the event right at the kick-off and pushed all clears every 8 hours, the sub-nodes would not have been nearly as problematic. Scaling on the sub-nodes only skyrocketed at the 24 hour mark. Many alliances managed to make it to round 6 by that point if I am not mistaken, so this is only true if the alliance did not have the full 20 members or if several of them played it casually.

If the excuse you have to come up with to validate the dev's choice to turn scaling up to eleven, consists of claiming that everyone should've played seriously from the get-go and that anyone that didn't just has themselves to blame, then you should seriously reconsider if you should be attempting to validate the dev's decision in the first place. Because that is some tiny, tiny kitty, right there.

I had high hopes for this event during the first day; finally something playable. But with the devs interfering with the scaling midway, this is another boss-type event devolved into an unplayable, screwed up mess once again.
    The number of times things are against us and we're told "It's too far in to change things now." but when things are in our favour, they're 'fixed' and told it's working as intended.
    Pretty much this ^ in a nutshell, yes.
  • Smudge
    Smudge Posts: 562 Critical Contributor
    _RiO_ wrote:
    Smudge wrote:

If the excuse you have to come up with to validate the dev's choice to turn scaling up to eleven, consists of claiming that everyone should've played seriously from the get-go and that anyone that didn't just has themselves to blame, then you should seriously reconsider if you should be attempting to validate the dev's decision in the first place. Because that is some tiny, tiny kitty, right there.

I had high hopes for this event during the first day; finally something playable. But with the devs interfering with the scaling midway, this is another boss-type event devolved into an unplayable, screwed up mess once again.

Please show me where I said that everyone should have played seriously from the get-go, and you are screwed if you didn't.

I agreed with your general point, then made the case that there are people out there who managed to avoid the high scaling and get through the tougher rounds early before it ramped up to ridiculous levels. I have been on both sides of the fence - I was in a super casual, open-entry alliance for Ultron and Galactus. I felt the struggle of playing as seriously as I could, getting to round 3 on the merits of only myself and one other guy, then seeing scaling dialed up to infinity and effectively killing me from playing any further. Was I blessed with a good alliance that played CW hard from the onset such that we were at round 6-7 before scaling reared its ugly head? Sure. Have I been on the side you are arguing? Absolutely.

You made a general case statement, and so did I. The only person getting beat up here is the straw man in the room. While I do not deny that a large portion of the player base saw themselves scaled out of the event early on, to simply state, "All low level rosters are completely borked out of any chance of doing well in the event because the scaling was ridiculous after 24 hours," is not entirely true. That is the point I was trying to make.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Loved this event when it started, but once the scaling inflation it was nothing but a headache. Insanely high sub nodes with terrible rewards, alliance members wanting to go rogue and switch sides mid game.

But I loved the alliance based progression and rewards of 4 star covers.

Vaults still need a lot of work though.
  • like1tiger
    like1tiger Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Totally loved this event. it was really well done. My alliance finished Cap then got close to the last falcap cover missed it by a few clears. We all went had and got a lot of rewards.

We need more events like this instead of the **** 24 hour grind fest that your trying to push down our necks.

This is PVE done right and it needs to continue top marks for the design even though it was very hard at the end it was the good type of hard.
    I have 8 champ 3 Stars and no really usable 4 stars and I enjoyed it alot
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    13towb.jpg
  • smoq84
    smoq84 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Good event, a lot of fun.

I'm really glad from my draws during Civil War: 11x 4* covers, all useful, including 4x Hulbuster and my final 13th Fury (my first fully-covered 4*).
    However I've won only about 50k ISO at the same time so I don't know how I will level up all those characters icon_razz.gif
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, I did get 3 x 4* covers in the duration (2 x FalCap, 1 x Ghost Rider from the LT) so good for that I guess.
  • SangFroid
    SangFroid Posts: 177 Tile Toppler
    D3 gets a lot of criticism when it is deserved so I wish everyone who is critical would also be as outgoing with their praise (I'm including myself in that).

This was a homerun all around! This is what the players have been clamouring for over a year and this was well executed and delivered great job! Thank you for a great even that was fun, gave solid rewards, and felt worth playing. Looking forward to many more in the same vein in this one.

I am hoping that the financial impact was also a match to the fun of the event as the 30cp tokens did give people an outlet to spend and progress as opposed to buying health packs or something else less desirable like during Galactus.

SangFroid